ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coffee

You will catch on. I did not start to drink coffee until about 10 years ago, I drink 4 cups a day and it is must before going to the gym. One is never too old to start to become an addict
My goal is to keep it to only 1 cup a day. I'm clearly underestimating the addictive nature of caffeine.

the football stadium is desperately in need of premium coffee stands and also at the RAC,,,,do not know why the school is resisting it so much
I believe Quick Chek is a "proud sponsor of Rutgers Athletics" hence its their coffee at the concessions

Anyone here cold brew their coffee? I see some potential benefits such as reduced acidity but have to wonder about the taste. Reviews of cold brewers on Amazon are extremely positive. It's intriguing...

Anyone here cold brew their coffee? I see some potential benefits such as reduced acidity but have to wonder about the taste. Reviews of cold brewers on Amazon are extremely positive. It's intriguing...

Lol, when I saw that this thread had popped up again, I came in here to ask this very question.

I usually stay away from trends, but iced cold brew is multiple times better than other iced coffees. Like any coffee, some cold brew is better than others. Have had some that were meh, but one local shop makes a great one - much richer flavor than regular iced coffee - smooth, full taste with a hint of nuttiness.

I drink way too much coffee to buy cold brews every day, or cold brew myself on a daily basis, so considering more of a commercial, multi-gallon systems. Hopefully someone will chime in.

My goal is to keep it to only 1 cup a day. I'm clearly underestimating the addictive nature of caffeine.

giant-coffee-mug-3.jpg

Reactions: bac2therac
Coffee fact: Did you know Vietnam is the #2 exporter of coffee in the world behind Brazil? The ironic thing about that is I have never had Vietnamese coffee ( I hear Trung Nguyen is very good) and wouldn't rank Brazilian coffees in my top 3.

Took some Vietnamese coffee back with me when I visited there in 2010. Really good but the most interesting part is how it's made..........google that one. Coconut coffee is also offered there in cafes............really good but more like a milkshake.

People in this thread admitting to paying sometimes $10 a pound or more for coffee. Cmon that's insane . Can get a better value on steak or drugs. I guess life was good under obama
yes, interest in finer coffees is Obama's fault or Obama's gift depending on POV. Thanks...Obama

agree with the recommendations for Rook. But I also like Starbuck and the experts are putting it down. Of course, I will stop at nearly any convenience store when I am traveling and feel the need for a cuppa.

What do you guys think about decaf? I have had to reduce caffeine for health reasons. Does process of removing caffeine diminish flavor? Are there better decafs to buy or some to avoid?

agree with the recommendations for Rook. But I also like Starbuck and the experts are putting it down. Of course, I will stop at nearly any convenience store when I am traveling and feel the need for a cuppa.

What do you guys think about decaf? I have had to reduce caffeine for health reasons. Does process of removing caffeine diminish flavor? Are there better decafs to buy or some to avoid?

Letterman said it best - useless brown water.

Reactions: Rutgers1982
Letterman said it best - useless brown water.
LOL. People bust my chops all the time when I order decaf. "What's the point?" etc. I do still like the flavor of coffee but I am supposed to watch the caffeine. Also, Alcohol, red meat, salt, cheese, etc. Everything good in life. Oh well

LOL. People bust my chops all the time when I order decaf. "What's the point?" etc. I do still like the flavor of coffee but I am supposed to watch the caffeine. Also, Alcohol, red meat, salt, cheese, etc. Everything good in life. Oh well
If you're gonna order decaf, get a hot chocolate instead.

I always watch what I eat, from the plate/cup to my mouth.
rimshot_zpsk4bkcpuw.gif

If you're gonna order decaf, get a hot chocolate instead.

I always watch what I eat, from the plate/cup to my mouth.
rimshot_zpsk4bkcpuw.gif
LOL- Don't like hot chocolate-too sweet. Also, I'm supposed to cut back on sweets. At least there is no calories in decaf and I get the flavor

I brought some of this home with me from the DR. Softly acidic with notes of almond and a bit on the dark roasted side. Delicious.

Big-squared-white-1.jpg

To be fair, I'd probably go decaf in your situation, too, maybe ease into decaf tea - feel like it's healthier all around and easier on the stomach. You get used to that hot morning beverage before really getting the day underway.

Don't think decaf tastes any different, though cannot think of a specific example of drinking it to support that. With all the coffees out there today, I'll bet you find one you like.

Reactions: Rutgers1982
Am in Houston and I tried 'cafe de olla' for the first time at Hugo's (a restaurant I highly recommend BTW). It's apparently a coffee that is brewed in an earthenware pot with piloncillo sugar (like a raw brown sugar) and cinnamon, frothed by hand at the table. I'm a purist and don't normally like my coffees flavored, but this was really different and delicious.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Looooong time reader (2001 or so), rare poster and this thread has my interest as I am a coffee enthusiast.

I don't see that much has been made of the freshness of the roast. You want to get WHOLE beans (needs to be ground just before using) from someplace that has the date of the roast on the bag. It makes a big difference. This is why Keurig is no good (aside from not getting the water hot enough/ environmental issues). You may be drinking old and stale coffee. I have been roasting my own coffee for a few years and it is a different drink from what you get at the WaWa. If anyone is interested in home roasting, www.sweetmarias.com is the place to learn about it. Cheaper to buy the green beans, but it is an initial investment and some work.

I will drink an Americano from Starbucks as I think their espresso can handle the charring process better and I can drink Dunkin' too. Just like it.

I used an Aeropress for a few years, which made great coffee but it was a process. Then on to the Technivorm and now I'm doing Chemex pour overs.

My girlfriend loves coffee from Peet's, which is a southern coffee chain. Does anyone know any similar coffee shops NYC or NJ as she may be moving up here soon from Virginia. Thanks in advance.

Speaking of coffee mugs, while going through the final boxes of stuff from my parents' house, we came across a box of work stuff of mine that I'd been looking for for almost 2 decades. How it ended up there I have no idea. But it had my favorite coffee mug in it:

AllStressedUpCoffeeMug_zpsemkioglu.jpg

My girlfriend loves coffee from Peet's, which is a southern coffee chain. Does anyone know any similar coffee shops NYC or NJ as she may be moving up here soon from Virginia. Thanks in advance.
Peet's is a Berkeley, California-originated roaster that was the provider to Au Bon Pain among other outlets before they closed shop. There are still a few Au Bon Pains around the state. Otherwise, you can find their grinds in supermarkets.

I drink Kirkland Decaf Dark Roast from Costco every morning. I take it black no sugar.
We had a Keurig for a while and made our own pods but that got to be a pain so
we bought a dual brew to make our morning pot or just a cup if we want.
http://www.target.com/p/hamilton-be...tpdph1|related_prods_vv|adaptpdph1|13372264|1

Kirkland Colombian is exceptionally good for cheap everyday coffee. My mother has a Costco membership so she picks it up for me from time to time. For some reason it's like double the store price on Amazon

51cUuNVwOWL.jpg

Wife only drinks decaf - not as many decaf choices out there it seems. She pefers Starbucks.

I usually just stop and get coffee from Quick Chek (buy 6 and get 7th free)

Started cold brewing my own coffee this week. I'm still perfecting the recipe, but it's super-easy and comes out great for iced coffee.

First step - forget any kind of fancy cold brewer because it's a waste of money. It's really as simple as throwing coarse grounds into water, mixing it up and letting it sit for about a day. Then strain the grounds out. I've been using a French press for straining but will probably get a strainer - ones I have now aren't small enough for coffee grounds.

You can use pretty much use any pitcher or large container (or go small if you want just a cup or two), which is why I'd say a cold brew system is worthless. I almost wasted $100 on a commercial-level kit, but instead got a six-pack of 64-oz mason jars at WalMart - they even have the measuring lines right on them. I use app. a 1:7 ratio - basically a cup to 1.5 cup of coffee, fill the rest with water. The ratio, type of coffee and I reckon brew time is where you can mess around to get the right flavor/caffeine level. My flavor is good but not quite as good as the cold brew I get from the coffee shop, so still playing with it. Might ask them what specific coffee they use, since I buy my beans there anyway, what ratio, and how long. I feel like their stuff has a better kick of caffeine, too.

Will be doing it throughout the summer as iced coffee. The whole idea of heating cold brew seems kind of silly to me, with all the other hot options out there, so don't intend to do that. I wasn't impressed the one time I had hot cold brew - French press is better, imo, and drip is of course quicker and more convenient.

Next up - freezing some cold brew into ice cubes so as not to water it down with regular ice.

Anyway, a super-easy way to brew so long as you remember to do it a day prior.

Reactions: CERU00
I've recently discovered cold brew and converted to all my iced coffee consumption to black and no sugar. To me it's like rocket fuel,

Still can't beat a hot cup of coffee on a cold morning, but in the summer a nice large iced, black comes pretty close.

said f it this morning and ordered a keurig
tired of instant nescafe and don't feel like brewing one cup for one person with a regular brewer

said f it this morning and ordered a keurig
tired of instant nescafe and don't feel like brewing one cup for one person with a regular brewer
Ugh... i love the convenience of the keurig, but not the coffee that it makes. I have something like this. It takes a little longer (<5 mins), but it's simple, you can make a few regular cups at a time (i say regular, because the etchings for 2, 4, 6, cups are way smaller than regular cups), and it's easy enough to clean. The coffee comes out way better and you can make it as strong or weak as you want. Amazon product ASIN B00023XCV4

Ugh... i love the convenience of the keurig, but not the coffee that it makes. I have something like this. It takes a little longer (<5 mins), but it's simple, you can make a few regular cups at a time (i say regular, because the etchings for 2, 4, 6, cups are way smaller than regular cups), and it's easy enough to clean. The coffee comes out way better and you can make it as strong or weak as you want.
Exactly what I use. It makes great coffee. Besides the advantages you mentioned, the water/coffee is never in contact with plastic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT