ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coffee

Speaking of coffee, the molecule sculpture in front of RU's new chemistry building is caffeine.

19477679_1492952054100855_6691329586422688489_o.jpg

as a long time RU chem grad that left the state this year, this makes me feel all nice inside

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Exactly what I use. It makes great coffee. Besides the advantages you mentioned, the water/coffee is never in contact with plastic.
Yes! Not drinking melted plastic is a nice benefit. All metal pieces, dump the used grinds in the garden, put the pieces in the dishwasher, quick rinse of the pot.

This thing get HOT too, and stays HOT as long as you keep it plugged in.

Ugh... i love the convenience of the keurig, but not the coffee that it makes. I have something like this. It takes a little longer (<5 mins), but it's simple, you can make a few regular cups at a time (i say regular, because the etchings for 2, 4, 6, cups are way smaller than regular cups), and it's easy enough to clean. The coffee comes out way better and you can make it as strong or weak as you want.
What exactly are you showing, as it's not coming up in my browser?

Coffee - cheaper than Scotch and no head buzz afterward for the discriminating drinker !

I recently started using Alkaline88 water for my coffee. I know some will disagree or say this stuff is somewhat a scam ... but, man - I think it helps make better cup of coffee no matter what kind of bean/grind you are using...

4d8728b0-d535-4ae8-878a-294feb9e00bb_1.6277b4c79c759de648e0abb3c703540e.jpeg

You can get green mountain kcups for the keurig coffee machine, which are sold most anywhere. The keurig has made it easier for me to consume coffee, though not sure about the environmental impact of all those kcups.
Guy from my town and HS invented the Kuerig. Living the dream now

keurig is a scam...weak coffee and you pay extra for the stupid cups

The coffee sucks and it's expensive. On sale for $5.99 for 12 or 50 cents for a 6oz cup of crappy coffee. No one is going broke underestimating the taste of the public hence K is doing fine. We have Nespresso at work which I find marginally better than K but still inferior to brewed coffee

Reactions: bac2therac
I went to a Starbucks over the weekend with a friend who wanted a cup of their coffee. I got a cup of tea. Apparently their tea sucks also. Next time I'll try hot cocoa and see if they can f**k that up too.

You can even get better coffee at McDonalds than at Starbucks. Just try them side by side if you don't believe it!

You can even get better coffee at McDonalds than at Starbucks. Just try them side by side if you don't believe it!
McDonalds? Save yourself a buck and just consume untreated sewage. Same s---. Literally.

McDonald's iced coffee is actually pretty good, especially for the price. Don't know about hot coffee.

Ugh... i love the convenience of the keurig, but not the coffee that it makes. I have something like this. It takes a little longer (<5 mins), but it's simple, you can make a few regular cups at a time (i say regular, because the etchings for 2, 4, 6, cups are way smaller than regular cups), and it's easy enough to clean. The coffee comes out way better and you can make it as strong or weak as you want.

Recently bought a percolator based on your recommendation. Makes great coffee fast. No more of a hassle to clean them drip coffee maker. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great discussion. After reading up, I'm trying a cold brew with a mason jar. I have various methods for a regular hot cup, from a regular Cuisinart drip coffee maker with a metal strainer, to a French press, and a Cuisinart K-cup brewer. When I feel like I need more than a cup, it's the drip. If I'm lazy & impatient, it's the K-cup, but I use my own cups and fill them up with a bit more coffee grounds than you find in commercially produced versions (currently using El Dorado espresso to ensure the coffee is bold enough). Also have the grinder, but my current economic situation does allow me to get my favored whole beans. Then, when I want to treat myself, it's the French press, which I find has the most oil/flavor content.

Did you get the cold brew sock? Still using a French press but sometimes leaves some grit behind. Sieve I got isn't fine enough, so think I'm going to try the sock. Been loving cold brew at home.

After a certain price point, it's diminishing returns.

I'll get Dunkin and/or Starbucks bags and just make it at home. For me, that's the best value proposition in terms of flavor, time, and convenience.

Did you get the cold brew sock? Still using a French press but sometimes leaves some grit behind. Sieve I got isn't fine enough, so think I'm going to try the sock. Been loving cold brew at home.

Figure on using either my French press or use the metal filter on the drip maker - just pour into thru into the carafe.

The size of the coffee chain and quality do not correlate. Starbucks filled a huge need by offering a place to sit down for a short break, lunch, rest, etc. in cities that did not exist. I remember that in NYC in the early 80's there were very few coffee hoses. You had to go to the west coast to find more, especially in San Francisco. If you have travelled to Europe, you found one at every corner in the center of major cities. There was a major unfilled need since people longed for an alternative places to bars to socialize or just rest for a while. Starbucks positioned itself also by introducing the bolder, dark roasted style coffees that they were sure to become successful. It was never their coffee, but a clean place to sit down for a short time for few bucks that was the most attractive to the public. They knew that people acquire taste for their bold coffee rather quickly. The example was the quite boring Budweiser lines of beers and the bland, hardly drinkable Miller Light, which have gained such a large market share. They figured out that advertisements would work well and people who wanted to be part of the image Starbucks projected will come and eventually like, even love the taste of their coffee. They were right, the best sellers are rarely among the best, whether you are talking about drinks or books, they are simply products that appeal to the masses or if you are smart and have big pockets, you can brainwash the masses to buy your product even if there are much higher quality f products are on the market. As I wrote earlier, the choice is yours, you can buy wild fish or farm raised fish, you can buy processed food or natural food, you can buy organic chicken or mass produced chicken with antibiotics that do not even work anymore, you can by GMO or non-GMO products and the list can go on and on. Going back to coffee, if you work in the Financial District, as I do, you could get great coffee from Financiers at three locations and the pastry there is second to none!
Paragraphs are your friend

Recently bought a percolator based on your recommendation. Makes great coffee fast. No more of a hassle to clean them drip coffee maker. Thanks for the suggestion.
percolated coffee with fresh ground beans is by far the best brew you will get

love coffee, drink quite a bit but oddly, I didn't start drinking it till my 30s

I like fresh ground beans
I was introduced to coffee by 2 cups of mud at Tillett Dining Hall after my first all-nighter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT