ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your Favorite/Best Coffee (Including Decaf) And Brewing Method

vk2leqM.jpg
soothes my soul^^ Nespresso produces the Crema, plus
I frothed Oat Milk.

My husband and I really like Nespresso, too! We purchased the original Nespresso machine just to make espressos and cappuccinos. Few years later, Nespresso came out with a Vertuo machine which included regular cups of coffee as well as espressos/cappuccinos. That new machine uses a different, larger size capsule. So, we now have 2 Nespresso machines. Go figure. Marketing. It worked.

Good news....if anyone has the original machine, I found compatible illy espresso & lungo coffee pods directly from illy.com which are really good! illy is a terrific coffee.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: mildone and Jm0513
I am not a traditonalist. I like my coffee with the artificially flavored creamers. I usually keep hazelnut, coconut and vanilla caramel in my fridge at all times.

A lot of those creamers are full of dangerous vegetable oils that are a cause of macular degeneration. Soybean oil, canola oil etc - get rid of them. Olive oil is ok.

• Wow
Reactions: redking and Jm0513
My husband and I really like Nespresso, too! We purchased the original Nespresso machine just to make espressos and cappuccinos. Few years later, Nespresso came out with a Vertuo machine which included regular cups of coffee as well as espressos/cappuccinos. That new machine uses a different, larger size capsule. So, we now have 2 Nespresso machines. Go figure. Marketing. It worked.

Good news....if anyone has the original machine, I found compatible illy espresso & lungo coffee pods directly from illy.com which are really good! illy is a terrific coffee.

Go RU!
Diane
I have the newer model. Target actually sells Starbucks pods compatible with it. Otherwise I have only seen them online.
iecfyv0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rondi
Had to look up what chicory was. Do you order cans from their website?
Yes you add a spoonful to the grounds...that coffee with cream and a well-made croissant and raspberry jam...

🤤

Reactions: mildone
Here's the cold brew rig I use now (Wegman's sells it as well as Amazon). Using coarse grade allows the water to soak down better. Fine grade can get too thick and messy because you need to poke the basket with a spoon etc.

Here's a fit, pro poker gal explaining what she does.

You know... she bears some resemblance to our very own @Jm0513, based on her avatar. Of course, the pro-poker lady is not nearly as cute. But still, there's some resemblance. Sisters?

I've been a coffee addict ever since entering the workplace. I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but have admittedly grown fond of Starbucks. My go to is typically low fat milk, no sugar.

I probably mentioned in our last coffee thread, but with three in our family WFH, we blow through K Cups like crazy in our house. Ever since my daughter graduated (from RU) last Spring and returned home, she's guilted us into recycling the pods which is a royal PITA. Both her and I prefer bold flavors (like Starbucks) while the Mrs. prefers decaf so brewing pots isn't very feasible unless someone compromises.
I saw a "what do you drink besides beer" thread, or something like that. And people did discuss coffee in it.

But I didn't see the one just for coffee. My bad.

Reactions: RW90
I saw a "what do you drink besides beer" thread, or something like that. And people did discuss coffee in it.

But I didn't see the one just for coffee. My bad.
No worries, I didn't mean to cast stones as it could very well have been another topic. I just vaguely remember discussing K Cups here in one context or another.

similar to you...could count on my two hands the amount of times I had coffee before about 2005 and now I am addicted and drink 4 cups a day...two in morning and two before gym.

I am not a coffee snob. I am sure I will draw the ire of coffee aficionados here. My go to is Melita but yes even slum with Chock Full of Nuts if its on sale for 1.99. Generally go for flavored coffee. Best ever is the Harry and David whole bean Christmas Blend which is basically butterscotch. Tend to gravitate toward more of the caramel or vanilla type coffees. Never drink Starbucks..why? For convenience store coffee, its WaWa all the way. Will not drink anything from Keurig..those are weak as shhh

I am not a traditonalist. I like my coffee with the artificially flavored creamers. I usually keep hazelnut, coconut and vanilla caramel in my fridge at all times.

I drink 16 ounces of decaf a day. I generally like any coffee but Dunkin or Starbucks. I am buying the shop rite brand currently. I drink it black, not flavored and like it strong. So I am clearly not a coffee snob.

I started in 1990 when I took a second job that started at 2am. I did not drink decaf, then.

I drink 16 ounces of decaf a day. I generally like any coffee but Dunkin or Starbucks. I am buying the shop rite brand currently. I drink it black, not flavored and like it strong. So I am clearly not a coffee snob.

I started in 1990 when I took a second job that started at 2am. I did not drink decaf, then.
One of my kids, the one who works as an EMT, drank coffee briefly and then gave it up, calling caffeine evil. He now avoids caffeine entirely, even in soda.

He's 22, in school (college), works full time for one EMT organization, works a couple/few shifts per week for two towns, and volunteers locally as an EMT and firefighter. Plus he has a new GF, with whom he's spending much of his limited free time. The vast majority of EMT shifts are 12 hours long, and most of his full-time shifts are overnight, with some of his part-time shifts being during the day.

How he manages all this without caffeine is a mystery to me. I've had some periods of my life where I got very little sleep at times. But I always had caffeine (mostly iced tea, back then, which I drank by the gallon) to help stay awake and alert.

You know... she bears some resemblance to our very own @Jm0513, based on her avatar. Of course, the pro-poker lady is not nearly as cute. But still, there's some resemblance. Sisters?

Don't bounce this off me Ima have to fight you lol

Gotham Dark Roast, Irving Farms...That is my favorite but love most of their roasts. First discovered them when I was dating a girl living at Gramercy Park- they have a great Coffee shop at 71 Irving Place. Believe they opened a Kiosk at Grand Central a few years back.

My wife and I have been making cold brew coffee since the early '80's using the same system, then called a Filtron Jr, now a Filtron 30L.

Filtron 30L

It makes a really smooth cup of coffee and you can vary the strength by the length of time you "brew" it or the amount of the concentrate you put in a cup. Don't have a consistent favorite type of bean - using more French Roast at the moment. I make two batches out of a pound of beans because I'm cheap. The second batch is not as strong as the first but still good. Third batches don't work.

Funny story, at least to me. Friends from when we lived in California got us using it. Fast forward 25 yrs, I was buying beans from a local coffee shop here in the city. The semi-snooty employee asked me what type of coffee maker the beans were for. When I told him a cold brew system, he said "oh, how California".

Since we started drinking it, it's seemed to fall out of favor, then come back in favor about every 5-10 yrs - this current run of popularity has been a long one.

img3o.jpg

this machine. double shot. foamed milk. a touch of sugar.

La Colombe whole beans (Nizza is the go-to, but will switch it up to keep things interesting) shipped from the roaster, not from the store.

I've gone through different phases of coffee prep over 30 years or so. From fanatically roasting then grinding whole beans then brewing via a French press to instant packets of Cafe Bustelo in a pinch, when in the field. Now, at home, I've settled on drip coffee via a simple Mr. Coffee machine, a pot each morning that's half caff, usually a blend of Starbucks French Roast and a Starbucks medium roast decaf. But I'll also pick up Peet's, too. I drink it black, while my wife likes heated milk with hers. Also break out the French press on occasion or do a pour over for a quick cup. Haven't used the whole bean grinder in five years. What I have found is that (regardless of how you brew it) once the coffee is brewed, to transfer it to an insulated carafe for the best results i.e. to avoid bitterness settling in. Mornings just don't seem right without a few cups.

Love everything coffee and drinking a lot more of it these days of COVID @ Home

I have a Kuerig and wifey just bought me this bad boy for Christmas... and just started trying out beans. Starting with Starbucks Dark Roast / Expresso Roast beans and soon to try others if anyone has recommendations I'm open to it.

71fis7dVn8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also have a Keurig and If I'm going Pods - my favorites are.....Kauai Coffee (see below), Newmans Organic French Roast and Peets Major Dickason's Blend - Dark Roast.

782605161521EA_450x450.jpg

Also have a weakness for Coffee Ice Cream......and currently prefer this coffee sorbetto from Talenti

ColdBrew-Coffee_Flavor-Image_259px-w-190x247.png

Reactions: Jm0513 and mildone
Love everything coffee and drinking a lot more of it these days of COVID @ Home

I have a Kuerig and wifey just bought me this bad boy for Christmas... and just started trying out beans. Starting with Starbucks Dark Roast / Expresso Roast beans and soon to try others if anyone has recommendations I'm open to it.

71fis7dVn8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also have a Keurig and If I'm going Pods - my favorites are.....Kauai Coffee (see below), Newmans Organic French Roast and Peets Major Dickason's Blend - Dark Roast.

782605161521EA_450x450.jpg

Also have a weakness for Coffee Ice Cream......and currently prefer this coffee sorbetto from Talenti

ColdBrew-Coffee_Flavor-Image_259px-w-190x247.png
don't waste your money on starbucks beans.

there are tons of great roasters out there who will ship you freshly roasted beans for only a bit more.

I've gone through different phases of coffee prep over 30 years or so. From fanatically roasting then grinding whole beans then brewing via a French press to instant packets of Cafe Bustelo in a pinch, when in the field. Now, at home, I've settled on drip coffee via a simple Mr. Coffee machine, a pot each morning that's half caff, usually a blend of Starbucks French Roast and a Starbucks medium roast decaf. But I'll also pick up Peet's, too. I drink it black, while my wife likes heated milk with hers. Also break out the French press on occasion or do a pour over for a quick cup. Haven't used the whole bean grinder in five years. What I have found is that (regardless of how you brew it) once the coffee is brewed, to transfer it to an insulated carafe for the best results i.e. to avoid bitterness settling in. Mornings just don't seem right without a few cups.

Did you brew coffee on the Appalachian Trail?

Nothing better than a fresh cup on a cold morning at camp, but a lot of things better than dragging yourself out of the sleeping bag to make it : )

Reactions: Jm0513
Coffee and Espresso are amazing when done right. Im snobby af when it comes to coffee, so forgive my bold commentary.

• Keruig is not coffee. Its instant coffee, essentially Sanka. If that's your thing, more power to you. The convivence comes at a cost to the environment to those who dont use the refillable pods
  • Please please please stop filling your coffee machine with tap water. Garbage in, garbage out. If you have bad tap water, youre going to have bad coffee. Theres no hiding it.
  • Also, get fresh beans and grind them when youre going to brew. About 24 hours after the beans were roasted, the countdown is on. Coffee aggressively loses its flavor after is been roasted. It gets even worse after it gets ground. Look for beans that have a "Roasted on _______" date, not a "Best by________". Best buy is arbitrary and means nothing.
As for what I drink, I have a Breville coffee machine that grinds beans for each use. Either a pot with x amount of cups or per cup.

Beans - I like lighter beans. Ethiopian, Kenyan. The best coffee I've ever had was a single origin Ethiopian Yrgcheffe from Blue Bottle. It was from the Worka estate. Holy shit. As a coffee it was light, fruity and floral. As an espresso, is where it came to life. Part fruity, with odd trash like undertones. Sounds odd, but it is remarkable. It should be available again soon, as it's seasonal.

This is my espresso machine. The single boiler is an annoyance for making lattes, but the espresso draws are remarkable for a home machine.
RS2.jpg

Coffee and Espresso are amazing when done right. Im snobby af when it comes to coffee, so forgive my bold commentary.

• Keruig is not coffee. Its instant coffee, essentially Sanka. If that's your thing, more power to you. The convivence comes at a cost to the environment to those who dont use the refillable pods
  • Please please please stop filling your coffee machine with tap water. Garbage in, garbage out. If you have bad tap water, youre going to have bad coffee. Theres no hiding it.
  • Also, get fresh beans and grind them when youre going to brew. About 24 hours after the beans were roasted, the countdown is on. Coffee aggressively loses its flavor after is been roasted. It gets even worse after it gets ground. Look for beans that have a "Roasted on _______" date, not a "Best by________". Best buy is arbitrary and means nothing.
As for what I drink, I have a Breville coffee machine that grinds beans for each use. Either a pot with x amount of cups or per cup.

Beans - I like lighter beans. Ethiopian, Kenyan. The best coffee I've ever had was a single origin Ethiopian Yrgcheffe from Blue Bottle. It was from the Worka estate. Holy shit. As a coffee it was light, fruity and floral. As an espresso, is where it came to life. Part fruity, with odd trash like undertones. Sounds odd, but it is remarkable. It should be available again soon, as it's seasonal.

This is my espresso machine. The single boiler is an annoyance for making lattes, but the espresso draws are remarkable for a home machine.
RS2.jpg
I'm using a cheap-ass mostly plastic coffee-maker. But you'll be pleased to hear I use Poland Spring water to make coffee.

Nothing better than a fresh cup on a cold morning at camp, but a lot of things better than dragging yourself out of the sleeping bag to make it : )
Especially when camping in sheep territory. Just gotta always remember to wear a kilt.

Reactions: fsg2
OMA (Colombian Coffee)

It is a medium blend and I have been told it is the second most popular coffee there (My wife is from Bogota)
I put the grounds into a K Cup machine

I drink coffee black and have drank coffee for well over 35 years.
I started drinking coffee in the Navy during the night watches.
I have about 5 to 6 cups a day.

I'm using a cheap-ass mostly plastic coffee-maker. But you'll be pleased to hear I use Poland Spring water to make coffee.
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own things they like. You can get good coffee from any machine if you use a good process.
Im very pleased to hear you use PS! It's not the best for espresso, as the total dissolved solids (TDS) is lower than optimum, but it's night and day above the impurities that exist in municipal tap in nj

The thought of a hot cup of coffee to start the day is great. In reality, on cold wet or snowy mornings, I just wanted to get moving. You change out of your warm sleep clothes into damp cold hiking clothes. Then pack up your gear, quickly. The best way to warm up is to hike asap. I would typically dump a packet of Bustelo or Via into a Smart Water bottle, add in a packet of Breakfast Essentials mix, shake it up, and drink it on the go. That said, in colder weather, for lunch break at a shelter, I might make a hot cup of coffee before setting out for the rest of the afternoon. Always instant, though, or if I stayed at a cheap motel prior, I might have taken away a few of those crummy in-room coffee maker filter bags and prepped it like using a tea bag. Your standards are different in the outdoors.

Reactions: fsg2
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own things they like. You can get good coffee from any machine if you use a good process.
Im very pleased to hear you use PS! It's not the best for espresso, as the total dissolved solids (TDS) is lower than optimum, but it's night and day above the impurities that exist in municipal tap in nj
I usually grind my own coffee and have started doing it in small batches so it's never ground more than a few days before use. I've also tried keeping the beans in the freezer until use because I tend to buy coffee in bulk. But haven't really noticed much difference between storing frozen or at room temperature.

And I play a bit with the coffee-to-water ratio. I tend to like stronger, darker, richer coffee. The machine I have does have a "rich mode". And it does result in stronger coffee. Also has a small-batch mode for when brewing less than 6 cups. But that's about the extent of it's features, other than maybe some auto-cleaning and timer functionality.

I think my next evolution towards coffee nirvana is to get a better machine that eliminates most of the plastic and grinds beans on demand. And I might look into other at-home cups to drink from. And I might have to expand my horizons a bit and try out espresso or cappuccino and so forth.

Might have to look into what I drink from as well. I almost always drink from one of my contigo travel mugs without using the spill-proof top, when at home. They hold a decent amount of coffee, and are narrow which limits heat loss at the top. And without the top, they don't seem to affect the taste at all. But maybe I can do better.

When travelling, I use the same travel mugs, but with their tops. But in that scenario, the leak-proof tops very noticeably alter the taste of the coffee, adding an unpleasant plastic flavor to it. OTOH, it's been 100% leak-proof which is an absolute requirement depending on which car I'm driving. In that case, I'll sacrifice taste for lack of stains. Not sure it's possible to create a truly leak-proof travel mug without using plastic in the top.

RS2.jpg

You, sir, are a dandy, coffee-wise....

I usually grind my own coffee and have started doing it in small batches so it's never ground more than a few days before use. I've also tried keeping the beans in the freezer until use because I tend to buy coffee in bulk. But haven't really noticed much difference between storing frozen or at room temperature.

And I play a bit with the coffee-to-water ratio. I tend to like stronger, darker, richer coffee. The machine I have does have a "rich mode". And it does result in stronger coffee. Also has a small-batch mode for when brewing less than 6 cups. But that's about the extent of it's features, other than maybe some auto-cleaning and timer functionality.

I think my next evolution towards coffee nirvana is to get a better machine that eliminates most of the plastic and grinds beans on demand. And I might look into other at-home cups to drink from. And I might have to expand my horizons a bit and try out espresso or cappuccino and so forth.

Might have to look into what I drink from as well. I almost always drink from one of my contigo travel mugs without using the spill-proof top, when at home. They hold a decent amount of coffee, and are narrow which limits heat loss at the top. And without the top, they don't seem to affect the taste at all. But maybe I can do better.

When travelling, I use the same travel mugs, but with their tops. But in that scenario, the leak-proof tops very noticeably alter the taste of the coffee, adding an unpleasant plastic flavor to it. OTOH, it's been 100% leak-proof which is an absolute requirement depending on which car I'm driving. In that case, I'll sacrifice taste for lack of stains. Not sure it's possible to create a truly leak-proof travel mug without using plastic in the top.

Fancy....

RS2.jpg
The Rancilio was on my list of machines to consider...but I decided the Breville with the built in grinder was a more convenient package

The thought of a hot cup of coffee to start the day is great. In reality, on cold wet or snowy mornings, I just wanted to get moving. You change out of your warm sleep clothes into damp cold hiking clothes. Then pack up your gear, quickly. The best way to warm up is to hike asap. I would typically dump a packet of Bustelo or Via into a Smart Water bottle, add in a packet of Breakfast Essentials mix, shake it up, and drink it on the go. That said, in colder weather, for lunch break at a shelter, I might make a hot cup of coffee before setting out for the rest of the afternoon. Always instant, though, or if I stayed at a cheap motel prior, I might have taken away a few of those crummy in-room coffee maker filter bags and prepped it like using a tea bag. Your standards are different in the outdoors.
That reminds me of a kind of interesting thing I discovered, centered around drinking coffee/caffeine (or not) in the morning before hard exercise.

I used to drink tons of tea. I usually play soccer games once a week around 8am. At some point about a half dozen years ago, I had to stop drinking tea prior to games due to calf cramps and even sometimes calf muscle pulls. I figured it's cause caffeine is somewhat of a diuretic. Even if I balanced out the tea w/just water, calf problems were common. Cutting out the pre-game tea made the calf problems disappear.

So when I started drinking coffee, I continued to not drink anything but water in the morning before the game. But... at some point, after a late night, I had a a cup of coffee along with my pre-game hydration. And played and had no calf problems. Doing the exact same pre-game routine as with the tea. Thought it might be a one-off, but I kept it up, one cup about 80 minutes prior to the game, and the calf issues haven't returned.

I'd have to drink tea again before the game and see if I experience calf problems to make it conclusive, and I haven't done that. But at the moment, it's looking very much like tea is somehow problematic prior to strenuous exercise, but not coffee.

I occasionally use a contigo without a lid when at home... not sure that I like the metal better than a sturdy ceramic mug. But with the lid, boy does it keep it hot. Not long ago I poured a full fresh cup, no milk, drove from Cranford to Barnegat and it was still too hot to drink.

You, sir, are a dandy, coffee-wise....
He just has strong coffee-fu. Or to put it another way, he's very Zen about his coffee. The process is at least as important as the end-result.

I'm like that with driving. It's never about the destination for me. It's about the exquisite details of the trip. About taking the best line through every curve and turn, about being in the right gear at the right time. About absolute smoothness and perfectly judging weight transfers to optimize car balance. Always highly focused even when driving very slowly. Makes driving a joyous and meditative experience. Never a chore.

Blind master Po would approve. 🙂

I occasionally use a contigo without a lid when at home... not sure that I like the metal better than a sturdy ceramic mug. But with the lid, boy does it keep it hot. Not long ago I poured a full fresh cup, no milk, drove from Cranford to Barnegat and it was still too hot to drink.
Yep, they will keep it pretty hot, especially if not hitting on it constantly. I used to take both my 16 and 20 oz mugs when driving to business meetings about an hour from me. I'd drink most of the 16oz cup on the way. The 20oz mug would still be burning hot while in the meeting(s).

But I have found that, if hitting on it constantly, it'll cool off much more quickly. That figures since the seal gets broken a lot, letting out heat, and the total volume of heated liquid drops, which also causes it to cool.

I like the Sumatra from Costco. I use a grinding brewer that I hate. I have an aero press I take out occasionally.

Any recommendations on a coffee pot are welcome. I have had the Breville which was good but I don't want another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT