ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your Favorite/Best Coffee (Including Decaf) And Brewing Method

mildone

Legend
Dec 19, 2011
I only started drinking coffee a few years back. Knew I'd be an addict, so avoided it for a long time. But I had a cup at Christmas dinner a few years back. And now I'm addicted. 🙂

Anyway, I'm curious what home-made coffee(s) everybody likes and how they brew it? Particularly decaf coffee.

I've been drinking Peet's Major Dickason's Blend, which I like a lot. But I tend to drink a ton of the stuff, which can become a problem, caffeine-wise. So I tried the decaf version of the same coffee, and it's okay, but not great. Also, it uses a chemical decaf process and I've read that the water-based decaf process results in better tasting, and potentially healthier decaf coffee.

I ordered a bag of Don Pablo Columbian Decaf whole beans from Amazon. Ground up and brewed some just now. It's a bit better than the Peet's decaf, but still not great.

Guess I should point out that I drink coffee black, the way nature intended it.

similar to you...could count on my two hands the amount of times I had coffee before about 2005 and now I am addicted and drink 4 cups a day...two in morning and two before gym.

I am not a coffee snob. I am sure I will draw the ire of coffee aficionados here. My go to is Melita but yes even slum with Chock Full of Nuts if its on sale for 1.99. Generally go for flavored coffee. Best ever is the Harry and David whole bean Christmas Blend which is basically butterscotch. Tend to gravitate toward more of the caramel or vanilla type coffees. Never drink Starbucks..why? For convenience store coffee, its WaWa all the way. Will not drink anything from Keurig..those are weak as shhh

I am not a traditonalist. I like my coffee with the artificially flavored creamers. I usually keep hazelnut, coconut and vanilla caramel in my fridge at all times.

I’m the opposite. Coffee was my first vice. I started drinking it in 8th grade... I prefer black myself, especially the good Turkish stuff you get at an Arab restaurant. However, for a cappuccino at home I’ll add some thick milk foam from my Breville.

Reactions: Jm0513 and mildone
Cafe Du Monde coffee in New Orleans...with chicory...best damned coffee in the planet (IMO, of course)

Had it years ago; as I recall, I really enjoyed it. Tried to recreate it at home — not so good. Lol

The powder sugar donuts (I know, they have a fancy French name) from that place? Meh! Overrated. :)

I drink a lot of coffee; buy some whole beans and some ground. Have tried all different methods. Usually cook in one of these percolators —

One of the best mass produced, ground coffees I found recently, surprisingly is this (never had the decaf):
Cool. I actually never even thought to use a stove-top percolator. I've been using an inexpensive coffee maker, even though I almost never use any of the features that differentiate it from a stove-top approach (e.g. the preset timer).

I will have to give the stovetop approach a try to see if it produces a better tasting coffee. Seems like it might be more healthy, from an avoiding plastics perspective.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
I started drinking coffee in high school - fond memories of ditching 1st period calculus to grab DD and get the day off on the right foot.

Have only grown more addicted and particular since. Won't even touch DD anymore. Try to support local shops and roasters. Couple years ago the number of shops around town really jumped, hoping they all make it through.

Order 5 lb bags delivered from a roaster up the road so I don't run out so quickly. French press is my favorite brewing method for really rich, flavorful hot coffee. Cold brew for iced coffee in the summer - don't get suckered into overpriced equipment, all you need is a big container and fine strainer. Pour-over is good, too, particularly for black.

For the average weekday, happy with the convenience and speed of auto drip.

similar to you...could count on my two hands the amount of times I had coffee before about 2005 and now I am addicted and drink 4 cups a day...two in morning and two before gym.

I am not a coffee snob. I am sure I will draw the ire of coffee aficionados here. My go to is Melita but yes even slum with Chock Full of Nuts if its on sale for 1.99. Generally go for flavored coffee. Best ever is the Harry and David whole bean Christmas Blend which is basically butterscotch. Tend to gravitate toward more of the caramel or vanilla type coffees. Never drink Starbucks..why? For convenience store coffee, its WaWa all the way. Will not drink anything from Keurig..those are weak as shhh

I am not a traditonalist. I like my coffee with the artificially flavored creamers. I usually keep hazelnut, coconut and vanilla caramel in my fridge at all times.
I only drink Keurig (or similar pod coffees) when I have no other choice. Like you said, they are weak and I tend to like richer coffee. I've avoided flavored coffee just to avoid unnecessary sugars. Also because it'd probably take my already bad addiction and turn it up to 11. The H&D Christmas blend sounds dangerously good.

I switched to cold brew method (its not "iced coffee"). Its less acidic (by 67% according to one study) and less bitter. If coffee gives you heartburn, then cold brew is the way to go. Even bland coffee taste better, and brand doesn't matter as much. You can let coffee sit for 12 - 24 hours (or more). I switched when I tried Wegman's cold brew (so far its the best of the brews sold in stores)

Cool. I actually never even thought to use a stove-top percolator. I've been using an inexpensive coffee maker, even though I almost never use any of the features that differentiate it from a stove-top approach (e.g. the preset timer).

I will have to give the stovetop approach a try to see if it produces a better tasting coffee. Seems like it might be more healthy, from an avoiding plastics perspective.

Definitely a great way to make full bodied yet smooth coffee — especially for black coffee, which is how I enjoy it best. May take a couple of pots to get it right (amount of coffee and simmer time once it starts boiling), but worth the practice.

I switched to cold brew method (its not "iced coffee"). Its less acidic (by 67% according to one study) and less bitter. If coffee gives you heartburn, then cold brew is the way to go. Even bland coffee taste better, and brand doesn't matter as much. You can let coffee sit for 12 - 24 hours (or more). I switched when I tried Wegman's cold brew (so far its the best of the brews sold in stores)

'Stoopid' question - Do you then heat up the resulting brew once it's steeped and been strained? Or drink it room temperature or over ice?

My favorite is the Wawa Cuban Blend, at home we have varioius brands... Starbucks, Chock full of nuts or Cafe Bustelo.

We have had this same brewer for over 8 years and it still runs like a champ. What I like best about it is it keeps the coffee hot for hours without burning it like the basic ones do. I highly recommend it..

Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker

550093cfd12b6-brew-stainless-steel-thermal-carafe-coffeemaker-ec-bd15-s2.jpg

Reactions: mildone
While french-press coffee does seem like it'll be better due to the apparent increased richness, I've read that, unlike paper-filtered coffee, it increases the amount of LDL we consume. I suspect that, absent a paper-filter, the stove-top percolator would have the same issue.

Hm... I suppose I could compensate by drinking olive oil or eating fish-oil supplements. 🙂

Reactions: redking

I actually like the bitterness. But it's something I will try at some point. It would have to be way, way, WAY better for me to work the 12-24 hour, plan-ahead, thing into my often unstructured daily schedule though.

'Stoopid' question - Do you then heat up the resulting brew once it's steeped and been strained? Or drink it room temperature or over ice?

Can heat or ice. Personally didn't like the heated version the one time I got it. Also seems counterintuitive and too time-consuming compared to all the other hot brewing methods. Can't beat it for iced coffee, though, much fuller, smoother flavor and can easily make it stronger so no real dilution from ice.

I use a Nespresso machine..with a milk frother. I'm quite happy with it.
My coffees look like I should be a barrista at a cute cafe.
When I'm out of Nespresso pods I use a French press.
I also will make a cup using a pour over method on occasion. I only drink decaf so I can't recommend any specific brands of coffee beans.

I started drinking coffee at around age 28. I love it.
It's the first thing I think of in the morning and it makes me smile.
Edit: I see you drink decaf.

Never had coffee (the drink) in my life.....literally, never ever tried it. However, I've had a few coffee-flavored items, mostly desserts (e.g., tiramisu).

My favorite is the Wawa Cuban Blend, at home we have varioius brands... Starbucks, Chock full of nuts or Cafe Bustelo.

We have had this same brewer for over 8 years and it still runs like a champ. What I like best about it is it keeps the coffee hot for hours without burning it like the basic ones do. I highly recommend it..

Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker

550093cfd12b6-brew-stainless-steel-thermal-carafe-coffeemaker-ec-bd15-s2.jpg
I like the idea of a stainless steel carafe. I've broken the cheap glass ones a couple times now (well, my house-cleaner broke one, and I broke it's replacement two weeks later - DOH). I now try to move very slowly when handling the carafe; it only takes a slight tap for it to crack.

I've been using a relatively cheap Ninja coffee maker. It's been very reliable, other than the carafe's fragility.

I drink a lot of coffee, my habit began in earnest when I was staying at my parents house while renovating years back. They had a keurig, and always had flavored coffee mate on hand so it quickly became the highlight of my day.

Since then, I've learned that keurigs suck (not strong enough, or hot enough), and coffee mate is for the weak.

My home brewer is one of those black and decker plug-in countertop coffee pots. It's a work horse that is still going strong after years of daily use. It gets plenty hot and allows me to control the strength. Plus I can try out different beans, no problem.

My favorite take is a little milk, no sugar. Occasionally will go black, and sometimes get a taste for a little sugar. I've also started adding a small pinch of salt to the beans in the pot.

Also not a snob. At home I'll usually mix it up between the different Folgers or Whole Foods pre-ground. In general I like a simple "donut shop" style blend. I have gotten the Cafe Bustelo bricks which are like rocket fuel.

To-go cups, I'm not a fan of Starbucks or McD's. I do like Dunkin (sometimes I like the sourness), and my favorite cup of coffee is from a cart in NYC or the sandwich/breakfast shop in my town. You can't beat that + a buttered roll on a cold day. Similarly, I also love diner coffee... I don't care how they make it, but it's more about the setting than what's in the cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
Never had coffee (the drink) in my life.....literally, never ever tried it. However, I've had a few coffee-flavored items, mostly desserts (e.g., tiramisu).

Well that's a waste! Montgomery is a great town for coffee ...or it used to be, anyway.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
am not a traditonalist. I like my coffee with the artificially flavored creamers. I usually keep hazelnut, coconut and vanilla caramel in my fridge at all times.
try this.. and the Caramel Macchiato one.. you won't be disappointed
Di3u0OJ.jpg

You can heat it up. You can put ice in it. The cold brewing just keeps the acidic oils from releasing. What you do with it after brewing is up to you. If you have a cold brewed coffee after Buffalo wings you greatly reduce your chance of waking up with your chest on fire.

I cold brew iced tea now too. I used to do the boiling water thing, but now I just fill a pitcher with unheated water, toss in the bags, and then let pitcher sit 12 hours or more. If I make a pitcher at 8pm its good to go by lunch the next day. It makes life easier - less steps and less clean-up. I loathe baby sitting pots of water trying to boil

Well that's a waste! Montgomery is a great town for coffee ...or it used to be, anyway.
And after years and years of planning, we are finally getting our drive-thru Starbucks (redeveloped Village Walk center across from Shoprite).

I use a Nespresso machine..with a milk frother. I'm quite happy with it.
My coffees look like I should be a barrista at a cute cafe.
When I'm out of Nespresso pods I use a French press.
I also will make a cup using a pour over method on occasion. I only drink decaf so I can't recommend any specific brands of coffee beans.

I started drinking coffee at around age 28. I love it.
It's the first thing I think of in the morning and it makes me smile.
Edit: I see you drink decaf.
I drink both. Right after waking up, whenever that is, I fill a stainless travel mug with 16oz of regular caffeinated. That usually disappears in 15 or 20 minutes.

Up until maybe six months or so ago, I was drinking an initial 20oz, then drinking another 20oz more slowly. But one day about six months ago, I'd consumed the 40ozs and was working through another 16ozs and the inside of my chest kind of did a painful BAM! Thankfully only momentary.

That was enough to convince me to lower my daily intake of the caffeinated stuff and at least alternate with decaf. 😀

My mom uses a Nespresso machine (I order her replacement pods). But when I come up to visit w/donuts, I'm counting on you to break out the French press. That way, I can see how it compares to regular coffee-maker drip coffee. 😉

Reactions: Jm0513
Do you like coffee ice cream? All the time I didn't drink coffee, I was eating coffee ice cream and sometimes munching on chocolate covered coffee beans. That stuff is awesome. So I knew I'd really like coffee itself.

Honestly, I'd probably be better off without it. But it's soooo good.

@RU4Real (Hi!) has one of those reaaaaaally nice machines. I know this because we had this discussion on here awhile back.
I think it was a Breville or Miele.

I remember growing up and smelling the coffee throughout the house as my mom made it. I would go with her to a store in Clifton to pick out the beans. That smell is embedded in my memory.
That's the one thing I don't like about the Nespresso machine.

I remember growing up and smelling the coffee throughout the house as my mom made it. I would go with her to a store in Clifton to pick out the beans. That smell is embedded in my memory.
That's the one thing I don't like about the Nespresso machine.
I can’t actually remember ever growing up. But I was born and raised in an opium den run by high priced call girls

And boy that stuff smelled GREAT!

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
Here's the cold brew rig I use now (Wegman's sells it as well as Amazon). Using coarse grade allows the water to soak down better. Fine grade can get too thick and messy because you need to poke the basket with a spoon etc.

Amazon product ASIN B017KUELI4

Here's a fit, pro poker gal explaining what she does.

Reactions: mildone and Jm0513
the WaWa yes

There used to be a shop right around the corner in Rocky Hill that sold $1 cup/any size. Much better coffee for same price as Wawa. As I recall, it started eating Wawa's lunch, pushing them to offer $1 any size. They roasted their own coffee, too. Sadly, think it's a deli now.

I've been a coffee addict ever since entering the workplace. I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but have admittedly grown fond of Starbucks. My go to is typically low fat milk, no sugar.

I probably mentioned in our last coffee thread, but with three in our family WFH, we blow through K Cups like crazy in our house. Ever since my daughter graduated (from RU) last Spring and returned home, she's guilted us into recycling the pods which is a royal PITA. Both her and I prefer bold flavors (like Starbucks) while the Mrs. prefers decaf so brewing pots isn't very feasible unless someone compromises.

Reactions: mildone and Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT