ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Copa America 2024 Thread

Richards has played better games for us. I don't think it's all on him. I think Scally being horrible feeds into that. Guy is positionally lost in defense, has no ability to get forward like Dest, and doesn't present himself as an option for Richards to play the ball out to. This all culminates in Richards having to rush over to the wing to cover, and when he does win the ball, not enough options to pass to, leading to some of those turnovers.
Scalley was not great in that game either, that's true. Or Ream. The two together are problematic for each other. And yes, Scally's support play was very much lacking at times in that game, good observation.

The support play problem can and probably will be addressed. I'm thinking it was, in part at least, due to dangerous overconfidence since the support play was generally better against Brazil. Our mids in this game were providing good angles of support, but the timing was off at times, either a bit too early and thus easily closed down, or coming too late. That's partly what led to Richards, Scally and Ream giving the ball away so much. But some of it was slow decision-making by those three.

Against good teams, our mids are going to have to work harder than is ideal to support the back four to maintain possession. That in turn negatively affects our ability to attack quickly in transition. And it can lead to player exhaustion. I'm guessing that was one of the things GB was messing with against Columbia.

This is why I keep harping on the need to find some defenders who are elite passers. We're pretty weak at producing killer passes out of the back. It happens sometimes, but not nearly as much as with other teams near the top of the rankings. And rarely with the same kind of perfect weight and timing and incisiveness as the best attacking defenders can do. Can only fix this with better players, IMO.

Anyway, let's see what happens on Thursday. Hopefully a bit more cohesion having had some more time and some more game tape to work with.

Scalley was not great in that game either, that's true. Or Ream. The two together are problematic for each other. And yes, Scally's support play was very much lacking at times in that game, good observation.

The support play problem can and probably will be addressed. I'm thinking it was, in part at least, due to dangerous overconfidence since the support play was generally better against Brazil. Our mids in this game were providing good angles of support, but the timing was off at times, either a bit too early and thus easily closed down, or coming too late. That's partly what led to Richards, Scally and Ream giving the ball away so much. But some of it was slow decision-making by those three.

Against good teams, our mids are going to have to work harder than is ideal to support the back four to maintain possession. That in turn negatively affects our ability to attack quickly in transition. And it can lead to player exhaustion. I'm guessing that was one of the things GB was messing with against Columbia.

This is why I keep harping on the need to find some defenders who are elite passers. We're pretty weak at producing killer passes out of the back. It happens sometimes, but not nearly as much as with other teams near the top of the rankings. And rarely with the same kind of perfect weight and timing and incisiveness as the best attacking defenders can do. Can only fix this with better players, IMO.

Anyway, let's see what happens on Thursday. Hopefully a bit more cohesion having had some more time and some more game tape to work with.
Here's an outside the box thought - how about Musah at RB?

Reactions: mildone
Here's an outside the box thought - how about Musah at RB?
Interesting idea.

I’d prefer Weah for his pace and because he has experience back there with Juventus. But I hate taking him away from the front due to his ability to unbalance opponents in the final third.

Musah does defend well at midfield. With Musah, I think it would have to wait for some friendlies after the tournament to try it out, as some acclimation and learning the differences in the role would need to take place. Musah probably brings good potential to make incisive passes out of the back.

Whereas Weah could switch at any time.

I think Musah is a better soccer player, in general, than either as Scally or Richards. So it would be a way to get more of the best players on the field. But I don’t know if he’d be a better component in the back four. Be worth a try in a meaningless game or two.

m

mckennie had a really poor game imo. he also looks quite out of shape. he's never been the most trim guy, but he's extra thick right now. maybe he needs to lay off the ranch dressing on pizza.

Colombian fans PACK NRG today....WOW....bigger, more vocal fan base than Mexico the other day!!!

...and Colombia already makes a sub at the 25-minute mark of a 0-0 match. Coach wasn't happy with someone lol!!!

This is still a really tough sport to fully embrace with the antics and stupid a$$ clock situation. Last night watched the Columbian game. They add 6 mins stoppage time and then the one Columbian players falls laying on field holding his neck for a minute plus (never got toughed) and then columbia takes 2 more mins to make two subs. Plenty of more stall tactics and even though ref added an additional minute during ST there was literally only like 2 mins of play during the additional 7 minutes.

OK, do the stoppage time thing but then the ref should be stopping the clock in OT.
The skills are amazing. The faking and flopping and constant antics are crap. Every other sport seems to have a sportsmanship factor. Even hockey has embellishment now.

This is still a really tough sport to fully embrace with the antics and stupid a$$ clock situation. Last night watched the Columbian game. They add 6 mins stoppage time and then the one Columbian players falls laying on field holding his neck for a minute plus (never got toughed) and then columbia takes 2 more mins to make two subs. Plenty of more stall tactics and even though ref added an additional minute during ST there was literally only like 2 mins of play during the additional 7 minutes.

OK, do the stoppage time thing but then the ref should be stopping the clock in OT.
The skills are amazing. The faking and flopping and constant antics are crap. Every other sport seems to have a sportsmanship factor. Even hockey has embellishment now.
Basketball and most team sports have embellishment and flopping and all. Soccer is probably the worst, but I actually think it's gotten a bit better in recent years. Some players (e.g. Ronaldo) are prone to it, whereas others (Messi) are not.

In the last game, Puli demonstrated his ability to ride out and survive a lot of hard contact which, IMO, is good as it leads to him being more dangerous. Earlier in his career, I would've said he went down too easily in situations where fighting through the contact might've led to him having some easy scoring opportunities.

BTW, refs have wide latitude to adjust extra time as they see fit. So they can, and do sometimes, add time if team is time-wasting.

In fact, in soccer, per the FIFA laws of the game, refs generally have wide latitude in making calls as they see fit. Moreso, I think, than in most other sports. The laws of the game are fairly concise leaving quite a bit up to the ref.

One of the more common examples is with certain situations involving the offside rule, where a player in an offside position may or may not trigger an offside violation despite never touching or making a play on the ball. If the ref determines that at attacking player's merely being in a given position unfairly alters things and leads to a goal, the ref can rule it an offside violation and disallow the goal.

Basketball and most team sports have embellishment and flopping and all. Soccer is probably the worst, but I actually think it's gotten a bit better in recent years. Some players (e.g. Ronaldo) are prone to it, whereas others (Messi) are not.

In the last game, Puli demonstrated his ability to ride out and survive a lot of hard contact which, IMO, is good as it leads to him being more dangerous. Earlier in his career, I would've said he went down too easily in situations where fighting through the contact might've led to him having some easy scoring opportunities.

BTW, refs have wide latitude to adjust extra time as they see fit. So they can, and do sometimes, add time if team is time-wasting.

In fact, in soccer, per the FIFA laws of the game, refs generally have wide latitude in making calls as they see fit. Moreso, I think, than in most other sports. The laws of the game are fairly concise leaving quite a bit up to the ref.

One of the more common examples is with certain situations involving the offside rule, where a player in an offside position may or may not trigger an offside violation despite never touching or making a play on the ball. If the ref determines that at attacking player's merely being in a given position unfairly alters things and leads to a goal, the ref can rule it an offside violation and disallow the goal.
I don't disagree with any of this. I've actually been enjoying both these two soccer events (Copa and Euro) as well as playoff Hockey. They've replaced NBA and Baseball watching for me. I just can't stand to see tough guys all tattooed up faking stuff. I wonder what the average game time is for play with a guy lying on the field . (and clearly there is head banging and high cleats to the legs..I get THAT).

I don't disagree with any of this. I've actually been enjoying both these two soccer events (Copa and Euro) as well as playoff Hockey. They've replaced NBA and Baseball watching for me. I just can't stand to see tough guys all tattooed up faking stuff. I wonder what the average game time is for play with a guy lying on the field . (and clearly there is head banging and high cleats to the legs..I get THAT).
Ball is in play, on average, 60% of a soccer game...so 54 minutes, not including stoppage time. Efforts are being made to more appropriately account for stoppage time. For example, it was not uncommon for there to be 8-10' of stoppage time in the Premier League this past season.

Ball is in play, on average, 60% of a soccer game...so 54 minutes, not including stoppage time. Efforts are being made to more appropriately account for stoppage time. For example, it was not uncommon for there to be 8-10' of stoppage time in the Premier League this past season.
The 8-minutes in Italy v Croatia (I’m Greek so indifferent lol) yesterday was a complete JOKE and screwed Croatia while saving Italy.

Oh Canada, glorious and free! Let’s go Canada! They need something positive after last night.

The clock in FIFA-sanctioned soccer never stops. However in the NCAA, the ref stops the clock. Also, the NCAA clock counts down (ugh!) and the halves end 0:00.

Gritty win for Canada. Sharffenberg was the difference-maker. He absorbed a brutal tackle (red card in Peru) then was consistently bombing down the left side, eventually sending in a the cross that Canada scored on.

The match was played in brutal heat. Was not an artistic success, but I like see CONCACAF clubs doing well.

Great comment: "Messi miscontrolled - there's a collector's item."

Edit: but then he ruined it with the usual "45 minutes down, 45 to go here in New York New Jersey."

Last edited:
Lalas with great halftime commentary tonight, talking about Chile's strategy against Messi: "kick him" (which is short and sweet and correct), as well as invoking Roadhouse quotes. Take that Lalas haters.

There was an excellent example of this latitude in the offsides call in the Netherlands-France match, disallowing a Dutch goal, due to a 2nd Dutch player being in an offsides position close to the French keeper.

Reactions: mildone
That’s a perfect example. Good officiating there.
The rule as I understood it when I coached (like multiple rec teams for 10 years to u13 .. nothing big I admit t) was you can be offside as long as not involved in the play.
Didn't see this one but assume said player was close enough to be involved if nothing more than a potential threat. ?

The rule as I understood it when I coached (like multiple rec teams for 10 years to u13 .. nothing big I admit t) was you can be offside as long as not involved in the play.
Didn't see this one but assume said player was close enough to be involved if nothing more than a potential threat. ?
Right. In this case, the offside player was deemed to have interfered with the keeper’s ability to make the save.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Nice to see Jamaica get their first ever Copa goal and nice to see it scored by Antonio, the West Ham stalwart for years. Very good player. Ecuador up 2-1 and their first goal was a fluke off of a weird deflection from 20 yards left of the box, although Ecuador has been mostly dominant so far.

Mexico - Venezuela has been quite entertaining with lots of end-to-end action and some good scoring chances, although no goals yet.
Just a fantastic match with Venezuela scoring on a PK, but then Mexico failing to convert their PK late in the 2nd half, leading to Mexico applying relentless pressure with numerous great opportunities/saves, but never putting the ball in the net. So exciting.

Just a fantastic match with Venezuela scoring on a PK, but then Mexico failing to convert their PK late in the 2nd half, leading to Mexico applying relentless pressure with numerous great opportunities/saves, but never putting the ball in the net. So exciting.
Mexico is in a must-win situation in the group stage finale vs. Ecuador.

Reactions: RU848789
I agree it WAS super exciting but there it was again....last minute of S Time and the Venezuela player just flops and lies on the ground stopping play for that entire last minute so the ref can immediately blow the whistle right after the goal kick.
"The game within the game". They even have a name for it and it just stinks. And watching both Copa and Euro the Central/South American teams just do it so much more than anybody else and they think it is cool.

All the above and then the Portugal giving the game to Geo. And seeing 2 teams giddy over a tie. This sport needs Herman Edwards.

From the article:

Specifically on the FOX broadcast channel, the USMNT win over Bolivia averaged 3.165 million viewers. That is the most-watched non-World Cup soccer telecast in FOX’s history. Additionally, it is the most-watched English-language broadcast of a Copa America game in US history.

Scally is too slow to adjust his position relative to the other 3, which is giving an advantage to the attacking players, keeping them onside. Richards with two awful passes. These two are really weak so far in this tournament. If coaching an opposing team, I would attack up their side all day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT