ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been 9 months and getting a whopper is about as easy a thing you can still do.
Not sure how old you are but when you've worked your a$$ off your whole life, retire, and then get locked out if living...it sucks and these years are precious.

Its all about balance. There is a way.

This is exactly the kind of attitude that drives me crazy.

People living in the early 1900s had to deal with the 1918 pandemic, world war 1, the great depression, world war 2...you have to give up one summer of traveling. Perspective.

People living in the early 1900s had to deal with the 1918 pandemic, world war 1, the great depression, world war 2...you have to give up one summer of traveling. Perspective.
And this is exactly the dumbest response that drives me crazy.

And this is exactly the dumbest response that drives me crazy.

Why? He's correct. This is nothing.

Most of the people that act so upset about their lives ending are the ones ignoring the actual rules, anyway. At least when they're not trying and failing to make fun of the people who actually did significantly altered their lives. But yeah, they care a lot about their fellow citizens
Disingenuous, self-absorbed blowhards who are thankfully relegated back to the sidelines.

That is not meant at 1984, who seems like a reasonable guy. Worth mentioning since he was quoted in the original post.

Reactions: Greg2020
Why? He's correct. This is nothing.

Most of the people that act so upset about their lives ending are the ones ignoring the actual rules, anyway. At least when they're not trying and failing to make fun of the people who actually did significantly altered their lives. But yeah, they care a lot about their fellow citizens
Disingenuous, self-absorbed blowhards who are thankfully relegated back to the sidelines.

That is not meant at 1984, who seems like a reasonable guy. Worth mentioning since he was quoted in the original post.
No he isn't. Neither are you correct. Making shit up with no facts.

I find your age 70-74 stat off but it’s not important... by age 70 and up the chances for disease and medical issues is much higher
. We septuagenarians accept that as fact but why give in to stupidity. It is time to crack down on those individuals ( younger) who violate and jeopardize the older over 55 age group.
I don't know what you are referring to. I didn't post any stats. I'm also not 70-74, but I am 65 and a surgeon.

Lol, says the king of opinionated hot air.

We're both correct. You ...I don't know because you haven't actually tried making a point.
Use facts not fake assumptions. That's my point.

Trend happened today. Multiple posters who wail about lives being ruined by Covid rules and guidelines are the same posters on record as having ignored Covid rules and guidelines. I clarified as such with Bac, for one.

Please don’t lump me in as someone who’s ignoring covid “rules and guidelines”

Trend happened today. Multiple posters who wail about lives being ruined by Covid rules and guidelines are the same posters on record as having ignored Covid rules and guidelines. I clarified as such with Bac, for one.
So you take responses by a few posters on a anonymous message board and apply that as fact for the entire country.
There is zero fact about this statement of yours.

"Most of the people that act so upset about their lives ending are the ones ignoring the actual rules, anyway"
What Covid rule did Bac admittedly break?

So you take responses by a few posters on a anonymous message board and apply that as fact for the entire country.
There is zero fact about this statement of yours.

"Most of the people that act so upset about their lives ending are the ones ignoring the actual rules, anyway"
What Covid rule did Bac admittedly break?

Who said anything about the whole country? Context you inserted.

I'm talking here, about here.

missed yours and fsg2 posts about people giving up protesting for 4 months....so the usual refrain was BUT THEY ARE WEARING MASKS....In fact a whole slew of health care think tankers put out statements saying protesting is needed and supercedes the virus, but now in December the new refrain is of course masks are not 100% but just part of the 3 things we need to do..um the other which is social distancing. I wonder how can people be spreading travelling in airports and stores wearing masks but man that virus sure knew not to spread during the protests all summer that some blue state politicians joined in and encouraged...the same ones telling you not to visit your loved ones over the holidays

what rule did i break, please call the proper authorities to see if they come and get me

You missed the point.

You complained the guidelines against gatherings are holding families down, then admitted you ignored those guidelines.

Can't have it both ways.

missed yours and fsg2 posts about people giving up protesting for 4 months....so the usual refrain was BUT THEY ARE WEARING MASKS....In fact a whole slew of health care think tankers put out statements saying protesting is needed and supercedes the virus, but now in December the new refrain is of course masks are not 100% but just part of the 3 things we need to do..um the other which is social distancing. I wonder how can people be spreading travelling in airports and stores wearing masks but man that virus sure knew not to spread during the protests all summer that some blue state politicians joined in and encouraged...the same ones telling you not to visit your loved ones over the holidays

Actually, I said multiple times I didn't agree with the protesting during a pandemic, and def don't agree with violence and property damage.

I don't expect you to remember every detail on the board so this post is my reiteration.

I don't know what you are referring to. I didn't post any stats. I'm also not 70-74, but I am 65 and a surgeon.
You didn’t post stats ? Well just in case Doc I posted some stats... there were statistics denoting ages starting at 18 years and then some at middle aged ... then stats for 70-74... if your are a 65 year old surgeon I suggest you review your post... I have a great deal of respect for some medical people but I also can attest to knowing some extremely bad ones who never should have been given a medical license... in particular one surgeon who caused my late mother a tremendous amount of pain and suffering... So please excuse me if I don’t fawn over you.

You missed the point.

You complained the guidelines against gatherings are holding families down, then admitted you ignored those guidelines.

Can't have it both ways.

why would i give a sht about the government telling me i cant spend time with my family, i am glad most Americans ignored that advice or made up their own choice

why would i give a sht about the government telling me i cant spend time with my family, i am glad most Americans ignored that advice or made up their own choice

So then there's nothing to complain about. People are out living their life.

Retire at 58? Nice!
Thanks! Was actually 57 at the time, but who's counting, lol. Not quite the fun first year of retirement I envisioned, which is a big part of why I've been back consulting (remotely) in my old department at about half time on one of our COVID drugs - wasn't much else to do...

Pfizer coming up way short of initial production. Only half (maybe) of the 100 million doses will be available by the end of the year.

Pfizer says this report is in error and I would agree. Pfizer has been saying they would have 50MM doses by the end of 2020 for awhile and that's exactly what they still say they will have. The first link, excerpted below in italics, is where they say the WSJ report is in error and the WSJ acknowledged it in an update.

That may have been an overreaction. Pfizer tells Barron’s that the numbers cited by the Journal’s story are out of date. The Journal wrote that raw material shortages would cut Pfizer’s vaccine global production this year from 100 million doses, to just 50 million. Yet Pfizer spokesperson Andy Widger says that Pfizer’s guidance since the second week of November has been for global deliveries of 50 million doses this year and 1.3 billion in 2021.

After its original publication, the Journal updated its story noting that Pfizer announced on Nov. 9 that it would scale its target for the number of vaccines produced this year.

And in the 2nd link from Pfizer on 11/18, they clearly say, "The companies expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pf...roduction-is-suffering-new-delays-51607041268

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...ntech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

close enough

COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC): Ages 0-19: 99.997% Ages 20-49: 99.98% Ages 50-69: 99.5% Ages 70+: 94.6%

you might want to check out all the people dying this year and it has nothing to do with Covid
yes it does clown

Reactions: thegock
Pfizer says this report is in error and I would agree. Pfizer has been saying they would have 50MM doses by the end of 2020 for awhile and that's exactly what they still say they will have. The first link, excerpted below in italics, is where they say the WSJ report is in error and the WSJ acknowledged it in an update.

That may have been an overreaction. Pfizer tells Barron’s that the numbers cited by the Journal’s story are out of date. The Journal wrote that raw material shortages would cut Pfizer’s vaccine global production this year from 100 million doses, to just 50 million. Yet Pfizer spokesperson Andy Widger says that Pfizer’s guidance since the second week of November has been for global deliveries of 50 million doses this year and 1.3 billion in 2021.

After its original publication, the Journal updated its story noting that Pfizer announced on Nov. 9 that it would scale its target for the number of vaccines produced this year.

And in the 2nd link from Pfizer on 11/18, they clearly say, "The companies expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pf...roduction-is-suffering-new-delays-51607041268

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...ntech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine
I only linked one article. This made 2 national nightly news shows who both quoted Pfizer directly. So for whatever reason it got traction yesterday.

Eventually you won't have to. But lifting the requirement now would give all of the anti-mask people the opportunity to stop wearing them under false pretense of gotten the vaccine already. And yes, I fully believe people on this board would do that.

If I retire I could see wearing a mask the few times I go into stores but if I am working I would most likely not wear it at work.
What would be great is if people who had any kind of contagious illness would put a mask on when in public places.
Just a little common courtesy.

Plus we have technology that allows contact that they never could imagine

For example my 87 year old parents face time their 2 year old great granddaughter multiple times a week.

As a frequent bar patron I see how you would treat them differently to limit the spread of an airborne virus
Really? Why? Hundreds in a big box store. No social distancing. Etc. Bar limited patrons. Social distancing required. More protocols in bars then in Wal-Mart, Home Depot etc.
As a essential worker at a retail grocery store people do not respect the 6 foot social distancing rule at all which is way more effective than a mask.

You didn’t post stats ? Well just in case Doc I posted some stats... there were statistics denoting ages starting at 18 years and then some at middle aged ... then stats for 70-74... if your are a 65 year old surgeon I suggest you review your post... I have a great deal of respect for some medical people but I also can attest to knowing some extremely bad ones who never should have been given a medical license... in particular one surgeon who caused my late mother a tremendous amount of pain and suffering... So please excuse me if I don’t fawn over you.
No one asked you to fawn. I was correcting your placement of me in the 74 year old age bracket.

Really? Why? Hundreds in a big box store. No social distancing. Etc. Bar limited patrons. Social distancing required. More protocols in bars then in Wal-Mart, Home Depot etc.
As a essential worker at a retail grocery store people do not respect the 6 foot social distancing rule at all which is way more effective than a mask.

Alcohol creates more loud talkers and close contact than big box stores in my experience

Thanks! Was actually 57 at the time, but who's counting, lol. Not quite the fun first year of retirement I envisioned, which is a big part of why I've been back consulting (remotely) in my old department at about half time on one of our COVID drugs - wasn't much else to do...
When fans are allowed back at games take some road trips to watch RU. These trips are great 3/4 day experiences.

I don't live in the early 1900's, or during the plagues in Europe, or being Jewish in Nazi Germany. Of course those were horrible times for those people.
I haven't given up travel just this one summer. I'm 62 and had worked from 14, many years 2 jobs or 80 hours a week to save and put kids thru school, etc. Living FAR below my means. Now it is my turn. And given my own health don't even know how many are really left. So yeah..perspective. Its not the end of the world. We're dealing. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

and hey @fsg2 I appreciate your comment above. That was nice of you to say.

Reactions: fsg2 and thegock
If I retire I could see wearing a mask the few times I go into stores but if I am working I would most likely not wear it at work.
What would be great is if people who had any kind of contagious illness would put a mask on when in public places.
Joe Biden stated yesterday - wear a mask for his first 100 days of presidency (to April 30) and then we should be able to be mask free.

How many people were knowingly walking the streets pre pandemic with a contagious diseases? Other than the common cold...Can you list them please because I’m very curious with what those illnesses were.

Reactions: goru1869
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT