ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would qualify the argument for the past 40 years that the government is going to confiscate your guns?
Are those people overreacting in a state of unwarranted fear?

of course those people are afraid. Fear makes people crazy.And these people are crazy

Was it unwarranted fear if on September 12 people were cautious about going into a potential target of terrorists?

Because yesterday more people died of covid than died on 9/11

Was it unwarranted fear if on September 12 people were cautious about going into a potential target of terrorists?

Because yesterday more people died of covid than died on 9/11

being cautious isn’t being fearful

but fear was warranted after 9/11. Fear was probably warranted of covid in March. Heck i was fearful in March of covid. Most people I know were.

but we’re people still afraid 8 months after 9/11?I don’t recall.

but fear was warranted after 9/11. Fear was probably warranted of covid in March. Heck i was fearful in March of covid. Most people I know were.

No, no one was afraid to fly a couple months after watching a plane hijacked into the side of a skyscraper. And no one ever thought twice about taking non-mandatory trips into NYC or other potential target areas. There were also no lasting changes in security.

Reactions: Greg2020
Define "stop living."

I did it a few posts above. The family that’s been out to eat every weekend for 25 years and is not doing that anymore.

the barber who’s been been cutting hair for 40 years and hasn’t been able to.

The Rutgers football fan who’s made it a life of going to tailgates every fall and can’t this season.

Life IS these moments.

I don't recall 9/11 being a contagious condition that one could transmit to others without knowing it.

The current pandemic is more like a rolling series of 9/11 attacks occurring every day or every few days. I bet people would still be in fear if planes were being hijacked and flying into buildings on a regular basis all over the country.

I think the thing that disappoints me the most (and pisses me off the most) is the utter selfishness and lack of will to sacrifice that many Americans have displayed during this year. If Americans living today had to deal with WWII the world would be very different today. Bunch of complaining selfish crybabies.

Disagree. Life is dealing with what's in front of you, not just living inside a predefined box.

You lot would do well to really take the whole self-reliance thing to heart beyond "No government!" talking points.

Some of us have been living our lives 100 the whole year. When pandemic and lock downs got in the way of our precious routines, we adapted and made new ones.

Can't tailgate at the game? Watch the game at home or spend Saturdays doing something else.

Can't sit down at Olive Garden? Order takeout. Better yet ...learn to cook real Italian and better yourself while ensuring you never have to eat at OG again.

That's living life.

I don't recall 9/11 being a contagious condition that one could transmit to others without knowing it.

The current pandemic is more like a rolling series of 9/11 attacks occurring every day or every few days. I bet people would still be in fear if planes were being hijacked and flying into buildings on a regular basis all over the country.

I think the thing that disappoints me the most (and pisses me off the most) is the utter selfishness and lack of will to sacrifice that many Americans have displayed during this year. If Americans living today had to deal with WWII the world would be very different today. Bunch of complaining selfish crybabies.

If you’re on a plane that’s hijacked and it crashes into a building..you’re dead 100%. So that fear would be warranted.

If you get covid you have a 99+% chance of surviving. The two examples are no where near alike.

The "math help" comment was on your statement that, "if we have 2K deaths a day for 2 months that would be 60K," which is clearly wrong as 62 days at 2K/day would be 124K. And "between now and January" is ambiguous - he didn't specify which day in January - but it's obvious he meant the end of January, as 250K dead in 31 days would be an insane number of over 8000/day. And as I said, even 250K in 62 days is much higher than I think it will be (at 4000/day), but it's at least a credible worst case, given yesterday's record of 3157 deaths, as per the JHU tracker, and if people don't start being more careful.
It is not "obvious" to me as I would expect somebody to say "by the end of" if that is what he meant.

"By January" to me means when we hit January.

Uh Oh ... Vaccine rollback by Pfizer due to Issues with supply chain... California 3 week lockdown... forget those claims by many here for the end of December -January... Hopefully by April -May for vaccine issue to the public... only shipping half.

Disagree. Life is dealing with what's in front of you, not just living inside a predefined box.

You lot would do well to really take the whole self-reliance thing to heart beyond "No government!" talking points.

Some of us have been living our lives 100 the whole year. When pandemic and lock downs got in the way of our precious routines, we adapted and made new ones.

Can't tailgate at the game? Watch the game at home or spend Saturdays doing something else.

Can't sit down at Olive Garden? Order takeout. Better yet ...learn to cook real Italian and better yourself while ensuring you never have to eat at OG again.

That's living life.

but you CAN sit down at Olive Garden. You chose not to. That’s “not living life” if you’re life precovid was to go to the Olive Garden every weekend.

agree about the college tailgating. We can’t go that. We have no control over that aspect of our lives so agree...learn to do something else. No issue with that

That's living life.
To some people living life is posting on Facebook and sending texts. To others it is shaking a hand, looking friend in the eye, talking, and enjoying the feeling of being around other people.

Sure you can survive in solitary confinement. But there is a reason it is a punishment.

To some people living life us posting on Facebook and sending texts. To others it is shaking a hand, looking friend in the eye, talking, and enjoying the feeling of being around other people.

Sure you can survive in solitary confinement. But there is a reason it is a punishment.

This isn't solitary confinement, tho. People throughout history have survived circumstances so much tougher than a few months without a haircut and a Whopper at BK. We'll be alright.

Reactions: Greg2020 and pmvon
but you CAN sit down at Olive Garden. You chose not to. That’s “not living life” if you’re life precovid was to go to the Olive Garden every weekend.

agree about the college tailgating. We can’t go that. We have no control over that aspect of our lives so agree...learn to do something else. No issue with that

Uh...yeah it is. Because you Chose it. And no doubt ate better (you're undermining your own point by using OG).

Uh...yeah it is. Because you Chose it. And no doubt ate better (you're undermining your own point by using OG).

you’re the one who originally brought up OG. Ha. (Actually it was FastMJ. Just using his example)
And I agree. That’s my point. You’re choosing not to go. You’re choosing not to live your life you’ve lived the past 25 years. I think that’s unfortunate to people.

Reactions: goru1869
To some people living life is posting on Facebook and sending texts. To others it is shaking a hand, looking friend in the eye, talking, and enjoying the feeling of being around other people.

I got a wife and two small kids. I'd looooove some solitary confinement

No, no one was afraid to fly a couple months after watching a plane hijacked into the side of a skyscraper. And no one ever thought twice about taking non-mandatory trips into NYC or other potential target areas. There were also no lasting changes in security.
No lasting change in security?? Are you high? There was a tremendous amount of change in security that is still around to this day.

Reactions: thegock
Define "stop living."

well washing down your groceries, lets start there...remember the guy posting youtube videos...remember the ones washing their fruit with hand soap..yeah it was earlier on but everyone sane knew that you cant live like that.

I read stories all the time of people who say they never leave their house but to go to the grocery store

there is no comparsion, its a virus where 99.9 percent of people survive

its not like its floating in the air when you walk outside and you take a high risk everytime you go out the door, if thats how you are living, well you definitely are living in fear

Define "stop living."

yeah having our government tells us that you should not gather with your family for holidays or you cannot go to church and sing, maybe you do not give a crap about those things but other people find family and religion a huge part of their lives

the depsicable shame from government officials and hide under your bed social media bots is a sad thing to watch

It is not "obvious" to me as I would expect somebody to say "by the end of" if that is what he meant.

its amazing to watch so many posters here cover for the president elect, I agree with you..between means in the middle of a time period...now and January..thats one month

There's a lot of future deaths already "baked into the system" in my opinion, and that will show up over the next several weeks. Then we have the wave of transmissions that undoubtedly occurred during Thanksgiving which are yet to show up as cases or hospitalizations. Black Friday shopping, other holiday gatherings, all that is yet to come.

The vaccine won't come in time to have any impact on what happens over the next month or two.

As for NY...I don't know what will happen in the city but out here in Monroe county, the number hospitalized now is more than twice what it was in the spring peak, and increasing by 5-10% per day. ICU usage has also surpassed the spring peak. There were over 600 new cases identified yesterday with positivity rates recently averaging between 5-10%. Hospitals are starting to cancel elective procedures, and they're starting to talk about field hospitals.

As for antibody cocktails - good luck getting that in time when all the HCWs are already dealing with extremely sick patients.

gee i wonder why I have heard ZERO talk of transmissions during the celeberations in the street a few weekends back, seems to be cases exploded shortly after that.

Isn't Illinois and it's largest city one of the most locked down states as far as restrictions? New Mexico too, yet they are running out of hospital beds. Oregon as well, and their Rt is in the stratosphere.

yes and thank you and its another indication that the virus isnt political despite everyone wanting to make its spread out to be some sort of political statement to shame people

its not like its floating in the air when you walk outside and you take a high risk everytime you go out the door, if thats how you are living, well you definitely are living in fear
99.9 percent survival is fake news. Guess what though. 99 percent of people who stormed the beach on Normandy survived too.

Reactions: thegock
well washing down your groceries, lets start there...remember the guy posting youtube videos...remember the ones washing their fruit with hand soap..yeah it was earlier on but everyone sane knew that you cant live like that.

I read stories all the time of people who say they never leave their house but to go to the grocery store
My wife's aunt and uncle have not seen their grown daughters since March. The only time they leave the house is to take care of the aunt's father who is in his 90's . And I do understand why they do this but by the time they see them again it will be over 1 year , that's crazy. If they can all accept that, God bless them. Not me , my son comes before my parents or in laws ! On a side note the uncle did talk to my wife's father and told him he has read 70 books since March. Me ? since March I have read 55 pages of a book about John Basilone . Just too busy going out and enjoying life instead of hiding under my bed ! I hope to have the book done by 2025 .

Reactions: bac2therac
There was so much fear that 15 years later we banned an entire religion from certain countries
Really ... what religion was that tom1944... I have a curious friend asking ... perhaps there was a good reason it was placed on a restrictive list... hell we have governors putting legal, native born citizens on home restrictions .... btw: it has been much less dangerous in this country until 2020... oh I know ... Christians....am I right?

If you’re on a plane that’s hijacked and it crashes into a building..you’re dead 100%. So that fear would be warranted.

If you get covid you have a 99+% chance of surviving. The two examples are no where near alike.
I didn't bring up 9/11, you did. Or someone else did and you went with it, I don't have the time nor desire to go back and find out.

It’s not 99.9, that’s total bs. Would you risk flying if 1-2 of every 100 on that plane would die before landing and another 5% (arbitrary positivity rate) would get sick before landing too?

I didn't bring up 9/11, you did. Or someone else did and you went with it, I don't have the time nor desire to go back and find out.

i almost definitely didn’t bring it up. Someone mentioned we’re currently experiencing 9/11 deaths every day.

Very unfortunate, indeed.

If he said "by January" I might agree. He didn't, he said "between now and January," which is ambiguous to me. The reality is we're debating useless minutiae. I'd much rather get the thread back on track, but that's looking difficult with so many non-scientific posts being made, which could be made in CE board threads. Here's an attempt...

Was great to see a Japanese report showing that 98% of recovered, infected COVID patients still have neutralizing antibodies for the virus, which essentially means they have immunity. This is consistent with previous reports from Chinese and US scientists, as per below and is very encouraging, especially if immunity lasts 10+ years, which it very well might (as implied by people having the SARS antibodies 15+ years after infection). That means there's a real chance of eliminating this virus.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/03/national/coronavirus-immunity-study/
Excellent and important new paper from La Jolla Institute of Immunology by Shane Crotty's group, which has been the subject of a few posts by me and @UMRU and others over the last several months. Essentially, they followed over 180 recovered infected patients for 5-8 months, performing the most comprehensive assessment of ongoing immunological marker levels in patients, by profiling antibodies, B-cells, and T-cells in their immune systems over time.

They found durable responses for the vast majority of people and have postulated that immunity in these people could very well last for years and it's expected that immunity from vaccines would likely be similar - see the excerpt below from the Times article (the paper is in the 2nd link), especially the part in bold. This work builds on the work done by many others around the world in recent months (some of which is in the 3rd/4th links from old posts of mine).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html/??

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.15.383323v1.full.pdf

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/florida-halts-football-program-covid.202128/post-4726680

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...es-interventions-and-more.198855/post-4650144

How long might immunity to the coronavirus last? Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful answer yet to a question that has shadowed plans for widespread vaccination.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

The research, published online, has not been peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal. But it is the most comprehensive and long-ranging study of immune memory to the coronavirus to date.

“That amount of memory would likely prevent the vast majority of people from getting hospitalized disease, severe disease, for many years,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology who co-led the new study.

There's a lot of future deaths already "baked into the system" in my opinion, and that will show up over the next several weeks. Then we have the wave of transmissions that undoubtedly occurred during Thanksgiving which are yet to show up as cases or hospitalizations. Black Friday shopping, other holiday gatherings, all that is yet to come.

The vaccine won't come in time to have any impact on what happens over the next month or two.

As for NY...I don't know what will happen in the city but out here in Monroe county, the number hospitalized now is more than twice what it was in the spring peak, and increasing by 5-10% per day. ICU usage has also surpassed the spring peak. There were over 600 new cases identified yesterday with positivity rates recently averaging between 5-10%. Hospitals are starting to cancel elective procedures, and they're starting to talk about field hospitals.

As for antibody cocktails - good luck getting that in time when all the HCWs are already dealing with extremely sick patients.
We did the field hospital trick and many were hardly used back in spring.. how about 46k vents do we need them also... if it weren’t so sad it would actually be a comedy of buffoonery... What states have the greatest needs today , tomorrow next month.... let’s guess shall we....California , Texas,New York , Florida ,New Jersey,Illinois...always the leaders it seems.

This isn't solitary confinement, tho. People throughout history have survived circumstances so much tougher than a few months without a haircut and a Whopper at BK. We'll be alright.
Its been 9 months and getting a whopper is about as easy a thing you can still do.
Not sure how old you are but when you've worked your a$$ off your whole life, retire, and then get locked out if living...it sucks and these years are precious.

Its all about balance. There is a way.

yeah having our government tells us that you should not gather with your family for holidays or you cannot go to church and sing, maybe you do not give a crap about those things but other people find family and religion a huge part of their lives

the depsicable shame from government officials and hide under your bed social media bots is a sad thing to watch

So you skipped the big Rac family Thanksgiving this year?

i almost definitely didn’t bring it up. Someone mentioned we’re currently experiencing 9/11 deaths every day.

Very unfortunate, indeed.
Yes, for certain.

As for "fearing" or "living in fear", that can mean different things to different people. You may not want to call it fear and that's fine, maybe you're OK with the amount of risk you perceive for yourself if you get infected. Keep in mind though, that even healthy young people wind up in ICU, on ventilators, or dead from covid. Plus many appear to have long term residual symptoms - yes the obvious "long haulers" but also others who have apparently recovered but weeks or months later show up in an ER with a pulmonary embolism or stroke that is probably due to damage from covid.

And even if your (general term) risk of death is low, you can spread this very contagious disease to others who are more at risk.

The 9/11 comparison is interesting. I remember flying cross country in December 2001 and feeling safer that I ever had while flying. Why...not because of enhanced airport security but because I knew that if someone tried to hijack that plane, every single passenger would have fought to the death to prevent it. There was that mentality, we were all in it together. With covid, we are now at a place where hospital systems have been pushed to the limit in many places. If you call 911 for help you may not get it in time, or there may be no room at the inn. Maybe if more people were more fearful we wouldn't be in such a crisis right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT