ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't live in the early 1900's, or during the plagues in Europe, or being Jewish in Nazi Germany. Of course those were horrible times for those people.
I haven't given up travel just this one summer. I'm 62 and had worked from 14, many years 2 jobs or 80 hours a week to save and put kids thru school, etc. Living FAR below my means. Now it is my turn. And given my own health don't even know how many are really left. So yeah..perspective. Its not the end of the world. We're dealing. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

You and I are the same age and appear to have had a similar life experience. In the scheme of things the limitations and adjustments I have had to make are a minor inconvenience. Getting COVID would be a major concern.

and hey @fsg2 I appreciate your comment above. That was nice of you to say.

How many people were knowingly walking the streets pre pandemic with a contagious diseases? Other than the common cold...Can you list them please because I’m very curious with what those illnesses were.

Most people get a sense that they might be coming down with something or feel a little under the weather. It would be nice in those situations to wear a mask in public

How many people were knowingly walking the streets pre pandemic with a contagious diseases? Other than the common cold...Can you list them please because I’m very curious with what those illnesses were.
People would often go to work or school with a flu. More common than not.

Reactions: goru1869
It's that kind of dumb thinking that bars are closed but big box stores are still open.
Bars aren’t close yet. I been to a few bars and they probably are the most dangerous place for catching the virus. People are close together without mask talking loudly. I try to social distance and try to stay away from the crowded bars.

Bars aren’t close yet. I been to a few bars and they probably are the most dangerous place for catching the virus. People are close together without mask talking loudly. I try to social distance and try to stay away from the crowded bars.
What state are you in? Certainly not PA or NJ.

What state are you in? Certainly not PA or NJ.
NJ, they pass the recent change that probably meant to close them but some are closing at 7:00 pm and using tables. Not allowed to stand at the bar or sit at bar seats.

I found one bar very empty that I can easily socially distance. I don’t allow the virus restrictions to keep me at home. I am as careful as I feel it necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
Those bats were co-habitant in china for a thousand years. So from the beginning
I thought, why all of a sudden do we get this plague. so someone must have caused it.
Right next to a bioweapons lab that was already cited for lack of proper controls by independent observers. Just a coincidence right?

Reactions: goru1869 and MURF87
NJ, they pass the recent change that probably meant to close them but some are closing at 7:00 pm and using tables. Not allowed to stand at the bar or sit at bar seats.

I found one bar very empty that I can easily socially distance.
Philly indoor closed. At one point 50% capacity was allowed. But that was impossible with the 6 foot rule. Most could barely get to 20%.

Philly indoor closed. At one point 50% capacity was allowed. But that was impossible with the 6 foot rule. Most could barely get to 20%.
I noticed some close voluntarily because of their new rules but other trying to survive. It’s tough with so few customers but it is the most dangerous place for transmitting the virus.

I noticed some close voluntarily because of their new rules but other trying to survive. It’s tough with so few customers but it is the most dangerous place for transmitting the virus.
When full maybe. Under current conditions highly doubtful.

Did i hear this right...a cnn discussion last night said they dont know if taking the vaccine prevents you from spreading the virus???????????

And that it while it may prevent you from contracting the disease they cant rule out you get the virus

Wow

No one asked you to fawn. I was correcting your placement of me in the 74 year old age bracket.
Hey Doc I didn’t place you in the 74 year old class. It was in reference to bac’s post on the stats which change all the time... Science changes all the time... Rules and protocols seem in this world to change all the time... Did not mean to offend you ...I’m almost now 71 and age is one thing that I have never feared... It is part of the journeys and as a Doctor you evidently understand that.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Most people get a sense that they might be coming down with something or feel a little under the weather. It would be nice in those situations to wear a mask in public
Hey I understand that but that is now during a pandemic for which at this time there is no sure cure. Not too many years ago I can remember people from around the world making fun of those visitors from Japan and China especially when in Hawaii... no tom1944 ... wearing a mask post pandemic is just not smart... Did mI not just read and see news reports on the Ted Turner Network stating masks probably don’t help prevent the virus. Now in China with the pollution issues continuing to worsen daily a mask is probably a great idea.

Define fear. Nothing to fear as in locking yourself in your basement and eating freeze dried beans? Or fear as in not eating at Olive Garden because you don't want a side of Covid with your Chicken Parm?
Who goes to Olive Garden anymore? Too many places you can get good to very good Italian Food even during the Pandemic.

Pfizer says this report is in error and I would agree. Pfizer has been saying they would have 50MM doses by the end of 2020 for awhile and that's exactly what they still say they will have. The first link, excerpted below in italics, is where they say the WSJ report is in error and the WSJ acknowledged it in an update.

That may have been an overreaction. Pfizer tells Barron’s that the numbers cited by the Journal’s story are out of date. The Journal wrote that raw material shortages would cut Pfizer’s vaccine global production this year from 100 million doses, to just 50 million. Yet Pfizer spokesperson Andy Widger says that Pfizer’s guidance since the second week of November has been for global deliveries of 50 million doses this year and 1.3 billion in 2021.

After its original publication, the Journal updated its story noting that Pfizer announced on Nov. 9 that it would scale its target for the number of vaccines produced this year.

And in the 2nd link from Pfizer on 11/18, they clearly say, "The companies expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pf...roduction-is-suffering-new-delays-51607041268

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...ntech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

Good news

I think he may regret making that statement.

You know these leaders have NO IDEA what they’re doing when they talk about these arbitrary timelines. How is say 99 of his era gonna be any different then day 101? Is it gonna be that vastly improved in 2 days?

And these hard dates on shutdowns ending. So stupid. Why are youth sports in NJ allowed on Jan 3...but not Jan 2?? Will it be so much different in a day?

Just be honest with us. If you want to mandate a country wide mask order, don’t put any timeline to it.

When fans are allowed back at games take some road trips to watch RU. These trips are great 3/4 day experiences.
Absolutely. I used to regularly go to away games when we were in the BE and the games were a short drive (while the B1G is a far better conference for us, I do miss the local rivalries and easy drives), as the RU fans at away games are the most fanatic and it's so much fun being in an insane RU away section when we win on the road. But since we've been in the B1G, we've sucked apart from that first season and I hate going to an away game we're likely going to get hammered in, so I haven't gone to any other than OSU in that first year, when we were still pretty good. I had planned to go to all the B1G venues by now. But with Schiano 2.0, I'm pretty sure I'll be going to away games again.

People are going to do what they think is appropriate. He might have been able to get the majority of people to follow that rule if it was March or April.

I assume you mean March or April of 2020. If so, I think there is merit to that line of thought, but I’d hold out hope that more areas would adhere to mask wearing and social distancing. Compliance has been better in states such as NY where initial cases and experience were far more severe. States experiencing the worst outbreaks today were spared the early case surges, and thus were less compliant. However, a rudimentary hypothesis would be that areas currently under stress will react in similar fashion to NY, thus mitigating spread post this acute phase ahead of widespread vaccine distribution.

This 100 day mask “mandate” is on the aggressive end of vaccine distribution, I think. Could be he’s been advised that the massive number of infections plus vaccinated population through April will provide a good level of herd penetration if not outright immunity, and the most at risk will likely have been vaccinated. Problem is if it takes longer by, say, a month or two. He just opens himself up for criticism. Better to put out a longer date and beat it than an aggressive date and have it slip.

I don't live in the early 1900's, or during the plagues in Europe, or being Jewish in Nazi Germany. Of course those were horrible times for those people.
I haven't given up travel just this one summer. I'm 62 and had worked from 14, many years 2 jobs or 80 hours a week to save and put kids thru school, etc. Living FAR below my means. Now it is my turn. And given my own health don't even know how many are really left. So yeah..perspective. Its not the end of the world. We're dealing. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

It definitely sucks. I'm in a similar position to #'s - same age (58), I'm healthy with no known conditions but my wife has several co-morbidities and is on a drug that suppresses the immune system. So we've basically been holed up at home most of the year. Fortunately we both still have jobs and can work from home. But no travel, no seeing family, no eating out, grocery delivery instead of shopping, etc.

None of us know how many years we have left. Even though I seem to be healthy, I could have a ticking time bomb waiting to explode (aneurysm, heart attack, who knows). So yeah - a lost year is still a lost year.

My issue isn't so much with people complaining - we've done our share. It's more with the people who are _acting_ in a selfish manner while whining about the horrible impositions being forced upon them. It sounds like you are not one of those.

Anyway, I said what I wanted to say and don't want to contribute to this thread being shut down so I'll just leave it with - stay well and hope you get to do all the traveling you want.

Pfizer says this report is in error and I would agree. Pfizer has been saying they would have 50MM doses by the end of 2020 for awhile and that's exactly what they still say they will have. The first link, excerpted below in italics, is where they say the WSJ report is in error and the WSJ acknowledged it in an update.

The WSJ article was a banner story on Drudge yesterday. It reported a month old materials issue that probably had already been baked into expectations. Glad to see this confirmed.

It definitely sucks. I'm in a similar position to #'s - same age (58), I'm healthy with no known conditions but my wife has several co-morbidities and is on a drug that suppresses the immune system. So we've basically been holed up at home most of the year. Fortunately we both still have jobs and can work from home. But no travel, no seeing family, no eating out, grocery delivery instead of shopping, etc.
None of us know how many years we have left. Even though I seem to be healthy, I could have a ticking time bomb waiting to explode (aneurysm, heart attack, who knows). So yeah - a lost year is still a lost year.

My issue isn't so much with people complaining - we've done our share. It's more with the people who are _acting_ in a selfish manner while whining about the horrible impositions being forced upon them. It sounds like you are not one of those.

Anyway, I said what I wanted to say and don't want to contribute to this thread being shut down so I'll just leave it with - stay well and hope you get to do all the traveling you want.
You mean that special group of 21- 40 year olds who flagrantly abuse the guidelines and have since day one Covid. The bar / restaurant group shown wandering the boardwalks in summer ... partying in the hip bars...mask less and mindless who still think the world has been overly cruel to them and made their lives oh so miserable. The PC correct youngsters educated by a generation of social justice diehards. It’s not the over 50 -80’s who are feeding the Covid 19 surge since September . Put the onus on the spoiled “ me” generation for inflating this health problem ... the same dolts who blame the “ boomers “ for their college loan debt, lack of good high paying jobs and inability to afford and purchase a home in today’s markets... You want to slow it down until a vaccine ? Talk to those groups first.

If he said "by January" I might agree. He didn't, he said "between now and January," which is ambiguous to me. The reality is we're debating useless minutiae. I'd much rather get the thread back on track, but that's looking difficult with so many non-scientific posts being made, which could be made in CE board threads. Here's an attempt...

Was great to see a Japanese report showing that 98% of recovered, infected COVID patients still have neutralizing antibodies for the virus, which essentially means they have immunity. This is consistent with previous reports from Chinese and US scientists, as per below and is very encouraging, especially if immunity lasts 10+ years, which it very well might (as implied by people having the SARS antibodies 15+ years after infection). That means there's a real chance of eliminating this virus.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/03/national/coronavirus-immunity-study/

More good vaccine news, as NIAID/Moderna reported that all 34 patients (of all ages from 18 to over 71) from their phase I trial of the mRNA vaccine still have fairly high levels of neutralizing antibodies for SARS-CoV-2 90 days after their 2nd dose of the vaccine and that these levels are generally greater than those seen in infected/recovered COVID patients.

This doesn't guarantee long-term immunity, since only time will do that, but it's absolutely what one would want to see at this point if a vaccine had long-term immunity. Combined with the studies noted above, showing infected/recovered patients almost all have neutralizing antibodies 6+ months after infection, things are looking very good for immunity to last at least a year and probably several to many years.

https://endpts.com/covid-19-roundup...ser-apologizes-for-comments-on-uk-vaccine-ok/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195

More good vaccine news, as NIAID/Moderna reported that all 34 patients (of all ages from 18 to over 71) from their phase I trial of the mRNA vaccine still have fairly high levels of neutralizing antibodies for SARS-CoV-2 90 days after their 2nd dose of the vaccine and that these levels are generally greater than those seen in infected/recovered COVID patients.

This doesn't guarantee long-term immunity, since only time will do that, but it's absolutely what one would want to see at this point if a vaccine had long-term immunity. Combined with the studies noted above, showing infected/recovered patients almost all have neutralizing antibodies 6+ months after infection, things are looking very good for immunity to last at least a year and probably several to many years.

https://endpts.com/covid-19-roundup...ser-apologizes-for-comments-on-uk-vaccine-ok/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195
My understanding is that all these blood tests looking for antibodies are just for B-cells and that the T-cells are the "brains" behind the whole operation. As far as I know, there are no good tests measuring the abilities of T-cells to start the antibody response in 6 month, 12 month or longer time frames. Am I correct that the T-cells are the key to longterm immunity and that we don't have a way to accurately measure their repsonse/activity?

Read up on newest from Biotechnologies ( Seattle Washington) newest test on antibodies / T cell ... 11/18/2020

Reactions: ScarletNut
I find your age 70-74 stat off but it’s not important... by age 70 and up the chances for disease and medical issues is much higher
. We septuagenarians accept that as fact but why give in to stupidity. It is time to crack down on those individuals ( younger) who violate and jeopardize the older over 55 age group.
What do we do with people over 55 who violate and jeopardize their own health ?

What do we do with people over 55 who violate and jeopardize their own health ?
Very few over 55 are as abusive with the guidelines for Covid19...some sure but it is the age between 21-40 who are the issue...in order to protect best as possible if you are one of those who disregard then you should be shackled and quartered in Times Square ...🤟😎🪓

I assume you mean March or April of 2020. If so, I think there is merit to that line of thought, but I’d hold out hope that more areas would adhere to mask wearing and social distancing. Compliance has been better in states such as NY where initial cases and experience were far more severe. States experiencing the worst outbreaks today were spared the early case surges, and thus were less compliant. However, a rudimentary hypothesis would be that areas currently under stress will react in similar fashion to NY, thus mitigating spread post this acute phase ahead of widespread vaccine distribution.

This 100 day mask “mandate” is on the aggressive end of vaccine distribution, I think. Could be he’s been advised that the massive number of infections plus vaccinated population through April will provide a good level of herd penetration if not outright immunity, and the most at risk will likely have been vaccinated. Problem is if it takes longer by, say, a month or two. He just opens himself up for criticism. Better to put out a longer date and beat it than an aggressive date and have it slip.
Yes I meant March 2020. I and other family members over 65 hope to get the vaccine in January so I can go out feeling better of my chances.

There is a % that will listen to his suggestion 100 days ( maybe 10-20%) but most people will feel they have been handling it for almost a year and it’s caution enough. I would have a hard time wearing the mask outside when I am already a safe social distance from anyone.

Last edited:

Same situation for me.
I agree with the view you express

Joe Biden stated yesterday - wear a mask for his first 100 days of presidency (to April 30) and then we should be able to be mask free.
And you believe him ? There is an old saying , how do you know a politician is lying ? Answer is "when his lips move". Murphy said we needed a 15 day pause back in March. A few hundred days later we are still in that 15 day pause. As my parents said and I say to my son " go out and get some fresh air" and fresh air is not gotten with a mask. Biden can say all he wants but no mask for me if I don't want to ! George Carlin said it best when he said "I don't believe a F'IN thing the gov't says " There is not enough people to enforce this nonsense .

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes I meant March 2020. I and other family members over 65 hope to get the vaccine in January so I can go out feeling better of my chances.

There is a % that will listen to his suggestion 100 days ( maybe 10-20%) but most people will feel they have been handling it for almost a year and it’s caution enough. I would have a hard time wearing the mask outside when I am already a safe social distance from anyone.

I doubt the mandate would include wearing a mask outside when you’re not around others. And if only 10-20% comply, it’s going to be a very rough period and the country, along with those who get infected if they didn’t follow the suggestion, will get what they deserve.

And you believe him ? There is an old saying , how do you know a politician is lying ? Answer is "when his lips move". Murphy said we needed a 15 day pause back in March. A few hundred days later we are still in that 15 day pause. As my parents said and I say to my son " go out and get some fresh air" and fresh air is not gotten with a mask. Biden can say all he wants but no mask for me if I don't want to ! George Carlin said it best when he said "I don't believe a F'IN thing the gov't says " There is not enough people to enforce this nonsense .
Didn’t the new medical director, a guy named Anthony Fauci , just say it will be more than 100 days... I have no doubt we will still have mask wearing guidelines in the Fall of 2021... mainly because 30-40% of our 330 million people will not get the vaccine. Forget the herd immunity BS...people are not going to follow this much longer ...

I doubt the mandate would include wearing a mask outside when you’re not around others. And if only 10-20% comply, it’s going to be a very rough period and the country, along with those who get infected if they didn’t follow the suggestion, will get what they deserve.
“ Get what they deserve” ... you’re actually part of the problem however sadly you don’t see yourself as such. Why do we have insignificant people believe they have domain over others ? It’s about choice... if the stats are correct and you appear to be up on stats the groups who need to wear masks 24/7 and kowtow to the new masters are under age 55... the over age groups are the most impacted but most follow the so called rules and why? That is how they were raised and directed waaaay back when... This idea that they should get the virus and be punished for their actions is a bit much...Maybe we should have punished China for their behavior from the start? I know it didn’t come from a Chinese lab working on biological warfare items...

Reactions: bac2therac
The Farnsworth House in Bordentown . Great old building in a very historic town.
It’s not an Olive Garden...One would have to believe , in those surrounding areas , there are some actual Italian Restaurants with better food... maybe it’s a $$$$ thing and that’s ok too . Or those breadsticks are better than I suspect?

masks will be required for all of next year, remember they said they do not know if even if you take the vaccine that you cannot spread it, which means mandatory masks continue through all of 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT