ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many of us have been called morons for questioning whether or not to take the vaccine. Watching Wolf on CNN today, he was talking to the Atlanta Mayor who said she was in shock Hank died because she saw him getting the COVID vaccine on Jan. 5th same day she took it. He dies 17 days later, still no cause of death or even a mention that Hank took the vaccine. Biden wants 1.5 million vaccinated a day, do you really think they'll share this type of info or the fact they don't know for sure if the vaccine will work past the 3-6 month timeline?
Hank died because he was 86.

I know many of us have been called morons for questioning whether or not to take the vaccine. Watching Wolf on CNN today, he was talking to the Atlanta Mayor who said she was in shock Hank died because she saw him getting the COVID vaccine on Jan. 5th same day she took it. He dies 17 days later, still no cause of death or even a mention that Hank took the vaccine. Biden wants 1.5 million vaccinated a day, do you really think they'll share this type of info or the fact they don't know for sure if the vaccine will work past the 3-6 month timeline?

The ramblings of a moron ...

There were tens of thousands of people in the clinical trials. If the vaccine kills people two and a half weeks later, we would have known about it already.

If Hank Aaron passed away 12 days after receiving the first vaccine dose, it's highly likely he was exposed/infected either before he received the vaccine or even on or slightly after January 5. It takes at least two weeks after the first dose to get to 50% efficacy and in elderly people that efficacy is probably lower. It takes approximately 2 weeks after the second dose to reach the highest level of protection so that's why it is essential to still follow all protocols even after vaccination.

If you say so, because you can 100% guarantee everything I said is wrong. Get in line, dutifully take your shot, don't question the government because they've never lied to the public.

I can definitely say that your rant was a mess of unrelated tangents.

I have no reason to be in line yet, but I'll do the right thing when I do.

Reactions: pmvon
If you say so, because you can 100% guarantee everything I said is wrong. Get in line, dutifully take your shot, don't question the government because they've never lied to the public.
I don't trust the government or the media, but I trust the epidemiologists and virologists around the world that have spent their lives working on this stuff. It's not like the vaccine was developed by the US government.

So in CT they are in phase 1b with 1.4 million people and said they are getting 45k doses a week. That’s 31 weeks to get through that population with only one dose.

It's an inconsequential fact with no relation to his death, i.e., correlation does not prove causation. Vaccine side effects (apart from 1 in 10MM risks, which can't be worried about) are always acute and occur within a day or so.

Also, as Derek Lowe said so well (posted this before), "if you take 10 million people and just wave your hand back and forth over their upper arms, in the next two months you would expect to see about 4,000 heart attacks. About 4,000 strokes. Over 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. And about 14,000 of that ten million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. No one would notice. That’s how many people die and get sick anyway." It's also why "excess deaths" are so important as a double check that the COVID death numbers we're seeing are fairly accurate, if a bit underestimated.

Not sure if this has been discussed but BS if Pfizer can now count toward their US supply. First, how could they get this wrong? Second, it was discovered as some were administering the doses. Third, it depends upon the syringe used whether you get 5 or 6 doses per vial. So many were not using the 6 dose syringe. This is a big deal as we could get early 40 million shots by June as a result of this change.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
More on the topic

And I got blasted for saying Pfizer was in it for the money. People said they were not like the other companies who took money. Well in the end they did and now look worse than most.
When they say it's not about the money, IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY.

Wait ...a yearlong Hansel & Gretel trail of deleted fake news, walked back tweets and sound bites that required subsequent apologies.

Even if you were to cite a flawless source, no one would read it until someone else posted it. Because you have sub-zero credibility. Why don't you get that?
I get it, your clearly a Biden guy, who's whole campaign trashed the development of the vaccine as a political tool to win the election. Now they parade themselves in front of the camera taking their saline shots, HELLO! The high risk age group, "might" show evidence their bodies can't handle the vaccine on top of other aliments they already deal with. My Mom is 88, and I've discussed the vaccine with her as she's a very healthy 88 year old who still drives and runs her house with no problem. She wants no part of it, and I'm sure as $hit not talking her into it.

I get it, your clearly a Biden guy, who's whole campaign trashed the development of the vaccine as a political tool to win the election. Now they parade themselves in front of the camera taking their saline shots, HELLO! The high risk age group, "might" show evidence their bodies can't handle the vaccine on top of other aliments they already deal with. My Mom is 88, and I've discussed the vaccine with her as she's a very healthy 88 year old who still drives and runs her house with no problem. She wants no part of it, and I'm sure as $hit not talking her into it.

Please take your ramblings to the CE forum. Hopefully your Mom doesn’t catch Covid.

It's an inconsequential fact with no relation to his death, i.e., correlation does not prove causation. Vaccine side effects (apart from 1 in 10MM risks, which can't be worried about) are always acute and occur within a day or so.

Also, as Derek Lowe said so well (posted this before), "if you take 10 million people and just wave your hand back and forth over their upper arms, in the next two months you would expect to see about 4,000 heart attacks. About 4,000 strokes. Over 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. And about 14,000 of that ten million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. No one would notice. That’s how many people die and get sick anyway." It's also why "excess deaths" are so important as a double check that the COVID death numbers we're seeing are fairly accurate, if a bit underestimated.
NUmbers have you heard any inside information on the J and J vaccine and can you explain the different technology for us lay people as I know they are using Adenovirus technology but not really sure what that means;
Thanks in advance

I just read in the NYT that Pfizer/Moderna are now turning out between 12m and 18m doses per week in total. So, assume the midpoint of 15m or a comfortable 2m per day for easy math. We are now vaccinating over 1m people a day, and hopefully that number continues to increase going forward as we get better at this. But 1m+ per day being used is still less than 2m+ per day being produced. Therefore, the supply should actually be increasing slightly right now. Also, over 30m doses have been distributed, with only about half actually administered so far. It would seem to me the issue right now is distribution, not supply. We need to address the bottlenecks in the distribution process. And someone needs to explain why these 15m doses produced but not used aren't being made available to use right now.

I just read in the NYT that Pfizer/Moderna are now turning out between 12m and 18m doses per week in total. So, assume the midpoint of 15m or a comfortable 2m per day for easy math. We are now vaccinating over 1m people a day, and hopefully that number continues to increase going forward as we get better at this. But 1m+ per day being used is still less than 2m+ per day being produced. Therefore, the supply should actually be increasing slightly right now. Also, over 30m doses have been distributed, with only about half actually administered so far. It would seem to me the issue right now is distribution, not supply. We need to address the bottlenecks in the distribution process. And someone needs to explain why these 15m doses produced but not used aren't being made available to use right now.
Pfizer is supplying many other countries. Canada and the UK even got the vaccines before the US. They probably supplying 5-6 countries at the minimum. Germany and Israel are two more.

Reactions: rurichdog and pmvon
If Hank Aaron passed away 12 days after receiving the first vaccine dose, it's highly likely he was exposed/infected either before he received the vaccine or even on or slightly after January 5. It takes at least two weeks after the first dose to get to 50% efficacy and in elderly people that efficacy is probably lower. It takes approximately 2 weeks after the second dose to reach the highest level of protection so that's why it is essential to still follow all protocols even after vaccination.
17 days if it makes a difference to what your trying to say.

Does anyone know approximately how many people received both shots already and about how many people are expected to want the vaccine?

So with 330 million people are we looking for 260 million ultimately to get it or is that number too high?

That evidence is a real stretch. Boris is a moron for announcing that unless he wanted to unnecessarily spread fear.

I’m still waiting for better proof that the UK strain really is more transmissible.
Governments never lie to the public. Cue the reports it was safe for the poor bastards to work the pile at Ground Zero, many coming down with rare and common cancers well beyond the rate that should happen, and let us not forget it was safe for additional cancers to infect workers that worked the debris field looking for remains at sites that collected the debris from the Towers.

Reactions: goru1869
Does anyone know approximately how many people received both shots already and about how many people are expected to want the vaccine?

So with 330 million people are we looking for 260 million ultimately to get it or is that number too high?
42% of the population is 45 and older which is 138,000,000 persons. 40 and older is 52% is 171,600,000.

NUmbers have you heard any inside information on the J and J vaccine and can you explain the different technology for us lay people as I know they are using Adenovirus technology but not really sure what that means;
Thanks in advance

The NY Times vaccine tracker is fantastic with overviews of every vaccine, along with links to more detailed scientific explanations of how each one works. Worth bookmarking. The overview and the J&J details are linked below. Briefly, the adenovirus vector vaccines (J&J and Astra-Zeneca being the big ones) work by encoding the DNA of the viral spike protein into a non-replicating adenovirus (a human one for J&J and a chimp one for AZ), which can enter cells and deliver the gene/DNA, prompting the body's immune system to respond to the pathogen by creating the relevant antibodies and other elements of the immune response (T cells and memory B cells), this providing a ready response should one become infected by SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html#jnj

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html

The Times also has a nice vaccine distribution tracker per state and includes US figures: so far, 16.2 million people have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine and about 2.8 million people had been fully vaccinated, with almost 40MM doses having been distributed to sites, so obviously we're not vaccinating at the rate we could be.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Also, your number is too high. The vaccines aren't approved for children yet (and won't be until at least late summer - COVID impacts on children are low, but children are a vector for transmission, so getting them vaccinated would certainly help slow the spread) so we have about 260MM people eligible to get the vaccine; most experts would like to see 80% of those vaccinated (to get to estimated herd immunity) or about 210MM. I posted the latest Harris Poll on this the other day which shows we're up to 69% wanting the vaccine (was as low as 58% a few months ago).

Show your work. Nobody "trashed" the vaccine, although there were legitimate questions about approving it before the complete safety/efficacy data set was available and reviewed, which is what Trump wanted to do for political reasons. And I have no idea what you mean regarding "saline" shots - are you implying people aren't really getting the vaccine?

And if your mom is a healthy 88 year old the best thing you can do for her health is to convince her to get the vaccine. My dad is 87 and lives in FL and we finally got him an appointment for his first shot (FL is a mess, as are many states) and we're all ecstatic, as it's a no brainer to go with a near zero risk of severe side effects (no deaths were seen, even in the elderly, in the clinical trials and the few vaccine deaths seen so far have been in extremely frail/sick elderly) vs. a 5% risk of death if one contracts the virus.

Governments never lie to the public. Cue the reports it was safe for the poor bastards to work the pile at Ground Zero, many coming down with rare and common cancers well beyond the rate that should happen, and let us not forget it was safe for additional cancers to infect workers that worked the debris field looking for remains at sites that collected the debris from the Towers.

Huh?

Pfizer is supplying many other countries. Canada and the UK even got the vaccines before the US. They probably supplying 5-6 countries at the minimum. Germany and Israel are two more.
Based on contracts, the US was first in line for the vaccine supply, but those other countries approved it first. This is why it was shipped to them first.

Show your work. Nobody "trashed" the vaccine, although there were legitimate questions about approving it before the complete safety/efficacy data set was available and reviewed, which is what Trump wanted to do for political reasons. And I have no idea what you mean regarding "saline" shots - are you implying people aren't really getting the vaccine?

And if your mom is a healthy 88 year old the best thing you can do for her health is to convince her to get the vaccine. My dad is 87 and lives in FL and we finally got him an appointment for his first shot (FL is a mess, as are many states) and we're all ecstatic, as it's a no brainer to go with a near zero risk of severe side effects (no deaths were seen, even in the elderly, in the clinical trials and the few vaccine deaths seen so far have been in extremely frail/sick elderly) vs. a 5% risk of death if one contracts the virus.
Biden and Harris trashed on vaccine on numerous occasions. Now cut the political crap or you will get another thread locked. The CE board has a thread.

Your math is wrong. We’ve been averaging 7-8mil doses a week. They ship to other countries as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT