ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot a zero. From Bloomberg below

Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 21.1 million shots have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the last week, an average of 1.06 million doses per day were administered.
No I didn’t. That’s 7 day rolling average. Go look at the day by day since the 20th

And yet Mercer County has vaxxed less than 10,000 people. Last hard number I saw was 7400 as of Jan 15. Hamilton is still farting around getting the 1A folks done plus first responder 1B's...but the Mercer County site is going to "supplement" the local sites not replace them. As if the ShopRites in town are ever going to be able to scale up, and the "local Health Department" mom & pop shops are ever going to scale up.

No I didn’t. That’s 7 day rolling average. Go look at the day by day since the 20th
Im only seeing the narrative not the graphs. Not loading. Are most states vaccinating 7 days a week at the same daily rate? Some in PA are only M-F.

And yet Mercer County has vaxxed less than 10,000 people. Last hard number I saw was 7400 as of Jan 15. Hamilton is still farting around getting the 1A folks done plus first responder 1B's...but the Mercer County site is going to "supplement" the local sites not replace them. As if the ShopRites in town are ever going to be able to scale up, and the "local Health Department" mom & pop shops are ever going to scale up.
Most Shop Rite pharmacies are closing 2/3/2021. CVS brought out about 15 Shop Rite Pharms but the ones that are giving vaccines I guess will still be open. CVS laying off the Shop Rite employees base on my discussion with the employee.

Reactions: Greg2020
We are doing 1.6 million a day without J&J.
All we need is for Biden to not screw up what the Trump administration and his vaccine are already doing. Which as feds gets more involved we know it will get more screwed up.

Who knew he was in the lab with the Turkish immigrants in Germany creating the vaccine.

To be fair, he didn't do much else and thankfully the few things he's done are being undone.

Why? WTF did he do to develop the vaccine? Now companies are coming out of the wood work to help distribute, where were they? We were at 900,000 a day before J7J was even mentioned.
Why? What did Trump have to do to develop the vaccines? Nothing. Private companies trying to make money.
The people that are now trying to distribute it were excluded in the first plan. Stop with how much was done in the the early stages! A complete disaster.
And before you start spewing the political crap, I am a Republican. Brainwashed people are idiots.

No one seems to be talking about the second dose. It doubles the amount of necessary appointments. I got my first dose at Rowan College yesterday. Everyone needs to come back in three weeks. Of course, there were no instructions on how to schedule the second dose. Just go back to the website and good luck there. This issue will be forefront very soon. $$$$
I was glad. I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. The hospital filled out on my card my 2nd dose was exactly in 4 weeks at the same time, 7am. Made the process smooth so they weren’t busy trying to accommodate idiots’ schedules. Basically come then or you’re outta luck. Put it in my phone instantly and of course will be there by like 6:45am that day ready to roll

I was glad. I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. The hospital filled out on my card my 2nd dose was exactly in 4 weeks at the same time, 7am. Made the process smooth so they weren’t busy trying to accommodate idiots’ schedules. Basically come then or you’re outta luck. Put it in my phone instantly and of course will be there by like 6:45am that day ready to roll
I went through the exact same process, smooth as can be

Most Shop Rite pharmacies are closing 2/3/2021. CVS brought out about 15 Shop Rite Pharms but the ones that are giving vaccines I guess will still be open. CVS laying off the Shop Rite employees base on my discussion with the employee.
That is technically incorrect as 215 Shop Rite stores in NJ have contracted with CVS Medicare Network in order to take advantage of discounted prices. I believe this has been in the works for a few years and it gives customers of those stores access to further discounted drug prices. So what you posted is not quite accurate . Seems like it never ends with people creating what they wish to create.

Why? What did Trump have to do to develop the vaccines? Nothing. Private companies trying to make money.
The people that are now trying to distribute it were excluded in the first plan. Stop with how much was done in the the early stages! A complete disaster.
And before you start spewing the political crap, I am a Republican. Brainwashed people are idiots.
Again, people that don't agree with you are idiots. I've seen it across so many topics with you. Would you talk like this to a stranger at a local bar? Did Trump loosen regulations to allow vaccines to fly through trials, or does this idiot show signs of brainwashing?

Reactions: GSGS and goru1869
Merck tanks vaccine and gives up. Not a surprise, they are not an innovative vaccine company.
@RU848789

Merck Shuts Down Covid Vaccine Program After Results
By Riley Griffin
January 25, 2021, 6:45 AM EST
Immune response to candidates is inferior to existing shots
Merck to repurpose resources, facilities to Covid-19 therapies

Reactions: bac2therac
Again, people that don't agree with you are idiots. I've seen it across so many topics with you. Would you talk like this to a stranger at a local bar? Did Trump loosen regulations to allow vaccines to fly through trials, or does this idiot show signs of brainwashing?
I'm not talking about people's opinions. I'm talking about complete lies.
Fact is the the vaccination plan or lack there of was a complete disaster. Remember 100 million by the end of the year? Than 40 million? Than 20 million? Well how did that go? What do we have now? 2-3 million completely vaccinated with both shots?
Did Trump speed up the trials? So much so that the UK approved it before the US?
The fast development of vaccines was accomplished because researchers have been working on SARS for years so they weren't starting from scratch.

Reactions: GSGS and pmvon
At least Merck can focus on their therapeutics now, which have been dragging. Interim data on their antiviral pill in Q1, full results not until May. Take your time.....

Merck tanks vaccine and gives up. Not a surprise, they are not an innovative vaccine company.
@RU848789

Merck Shuts Down Covid Vaccine Program After Results
By Riley Griffin
January 25, 2021, 6:45 AM EST
Immune response to candidates is inferior to existing shots
Merck to repurpose resources, facilities to Covid-19 therapies

Not an innovative vaccine co? Fake news.

Results from clinical trials were just not there and they will be focusing a lot of efforts on the therapeutics, which is a good thing.

Reactions: RU23
We are doing 1.6 million a day without J&J.
All we need is for Biden to not screw up what the Trump administration did not do and did not care and his vaccine are already doing. Which as feds gets more involved we know it will get more screwed up.

Get the narrative right. The supply and distribution network plans on the vaccine has been a complete disaster by the former ‘leadership’.

I'm not talking about people's opinions. I'm talking about complete lies.
Fact is the the vaccination plan or lack there of was a complete disaster. Remember 100 million by the end of the year? Than 40 million? Than 20 million? Well how did that go? What do we have now? 2-3 million completely vaccinated with both shots?
Did Trump speed up the trials? So much so that the UK approved it before the US?
The fast development of vaccines was accomplished because researchers have been working on SARS for years so they weren't starting from scratch.
Maybe because the UK doesn't have to deal with the FDA? Ya think? Maybe, just maybe the MHRA works a little faster than the FDA? Isn't the FDA the reason people in the USA go in search all over the world for new cancer treatments because they don't have to wait for that bureaucratic agency to stop dragging their feet? Asking for a friend as I don't want to get called an idiot again. Save the name calling for him. 😉

Get the narrative right. The supply and distribution network plans on the vaccine has been a complete disaster by the former ‘leadership’.
It was always known that initial supply wouldn't meet demand. As production increases and additional vaccines are approved, supply and distribution will improve. Current leadership will take credit for it but they really are just benefitting from the additional supply.

Reactions: brad1218
It was always known that initial supply wouldn't meet demand. As production increases and additional vaccines are approved, supply and distribution will improve. Current leadership will take credit for it but they really are just benefitting from the additional supply.
To some extent true but you can’t ignore the lack of planning here at the federal level. The additional federal resources being implemented by the administration will accelerate getting shots into arms. If that happens, they deserve credit and those who did not deserve blame.

Not an innovative vaccine co? Fake news.

Results from clinical trials were just not there and they will be focusing a lot of efforts on the therapeutics, which is a good thing.
He likes to troll me on all things Merck, so ignore it. It's a major disappointment though, that neither vaccine raised enough of an immune response in phase I (they were safe) to expect high efficacy in phase III trials. Good thing the mRNA approach works.

Merck will continue its efforts on treatments for COVID, including an antiviral for mildly ill patients, which I've been working on, as a consultant (should have some phase 1/2 data shortly), and an anti-inflammatory for seriously ill patients, which looked good in a small phase III trial. We still need treatments...

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...oping-both-of-its-covid-19-vaccine-candidates

Edit: here's the excerpt from the Merck press release on the two treatments...

About Merck’s therapeutic candidates
  • MK-7110 (formerly CD24Fc) is a potentially first-in-class investigational recombinant fusion protein that modulates the inflammatory response to SARS-CoV-2, principally by targeting a novel immune pathway checkpoint. Interim results from a Phase 3 study showed a greater than 50 percent reduction in the risk of death or respiratory failure in patients hospitalized with moderate to severe COVID-19. Full results from this study are expected in the first quarter of 2021. In December, Merck announced a supply agreement with the U.S. government to advance the manufacturing and initial distribution of MK-7110 (link).
  • Molnupiravir (MK-4482) is an oral novel investigational antiviral agent being developed in collaboration with Ridgeback Bio. Molnupiravir is currently being evaluated in Phase 2/3 clinical trials in both the hospital and out-patient settings. The primary completion date for the Phase 2/3 studies is May 2021. The company anticipates initial efficacy data in the first quarter of 2021, which Merck plans to share publicly if clinically meaningful.
https://www.merck.com/news/merck-di...f-two-investigational-therapeutic-candidates/

Last edited:
Reactions: GSGS and Greg2020
Reactions: RU848789
To some extent true but you can’t ignore the lack of planning here at the federal level. The additional federal resources being implemented by the administration will accelerate getting shots into arms. If that happens, they deserve credit and those who did not deserve blame.
The states were told in August to have their distribution plan ready to go by November 1st. I don't know about elsewhere, but NJ wasn't ready to go even though the vaccine was being distributed to states. An administrator at RWJ Hospital told me things were rough in the beginning but are now moving smoothly. The one thing holding them back is supply.

Reactions: rurichdog

Thankfully, former. Damn, it's just so great to know that the former "leadership" was fired in such a bigly and historic way. So great! BOOM!

Wait...you mean he wasn't in the lab with the Turkish immigrants in Germany developing the vaccine?

He likes to troll me on all things Merck, so ignore it. It's a major disappointment though, that neither vaccine raised enough of an immune response in phase I (they were safe) to expect high efficacy in phase III trials. Good thing the mRNA approach works.

Merck will continue its efforts on treatments for COVID, including an antiviral for mildly ill patients, which I've been working on, as a consultant (should have some phase 1/2 data shortly), and an anti-inflammatory for seriously ill patients, which looked good in a small phase III trial. We still need treatments...

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...oping-both-of-its-covid-19-vaccine-candidates

Edit: here's the excerpt from the Merck press release on the two treatments...

About Merck’s therapeutic candidates
  • MK-7110 (formerly CD24Fc) is a potentially first-in-class investigational recombinant fusion protein that modulates the inflammatory response to SARS-CoV-2, principally by targeting a novel immune pathway checkpoint. Interim results from a Phase 3 study showed a greater than 50 percent reduction in the risk of death or respiratory failure in patients hospitalized with moderate to severe COVID-19. Full results from this study are expected in the first quarter of 2021. In December, Merck announced a supply agreement with the U.S. government to advance the manufacturing and initial distribution of MK-7110 (link).
  • Molnupiravir (MK-4482) is an oral novel investigational antiviral agent being developed in collaboration with Ridgeback Bio. Molnupiravir is currently being evaluated in Phase 2/3 clinical trials in both the hospital and out-patient settings. The primary completion date for the Phase 2/3 studies is May 2021. The company anticipates initial efficacy data in the first quarter of 2021, which Merck plans to share publicly if clinically meaningful.
https://www.merck.com/news/merck-di...f-two-investigational-therapeutic-candidates/

What is taking so long for the therapeutics? I’m starting to believe T2K that Merck is a bunch of old dinosaurs working at a snails pace.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
What is taking so long for the therapeutics? I’m starting to believe T2K that Merck is a bunch of old dinosaurs working at a snails pace.
I can assure you that people are pulling out all the stops on MK-4482 (and MK-7110, which has already shared data) - most people I know barely even took any holiday time off and have been working insane hours. The slow pace was due to slow clinical enrollment, but interim data are expected in the next 1-2 weeks. But like the vaccines, for 4482, nobody knows if there will be efficacy until the data are available.

Sure it's disappointing that the two vaccine candidates failed, but some of that is due to how unexpectedly good the mRNA vaccines are (pretty sure MK would still be pursuing them if the mRNA vaccines didn't work or only showed 50-60% efficacy, which was enough to get approved).

Also, Merck is still the world's #2 vaccine company, by sales and continues to put out new/updated vaccines - and don't forget until COVID, Merck's Ebola vaccine was the fastest ever brought to market and has been a huge success and that was only a couple of years ago.

The states were told in August to have their distribution plan ready to go by November 1st. I don't know about elsewhere, but NJ wasn't ready to go even though the vaccine was being distributed to states. An administrator at RWJ Hospital told me things were rough in the beginning but are now moving smoothly. The one thing holding them back is supply.
NJ is still not ready. Lol ... short story 44 year old son from Long Island who was a eligible in first group with wife as educators got appointments.... his on Sunday hers end of week. This was after Cuomo claiming no vaccines at all 2 days prior . Goes at 5pm ... Very organized he said with military and others manning stations. Took information from him and asks his issues which also qualifies him . Suffice to say he gets the Pfizer vaccine and a card documenting it as well as a set up appointment for February and shot # 2. He waited 15 minutes until they released him as of last evening no real effects though he anticipates the 2nd one could be not as easy. Anyway when he asked do you have vaccine ? The nurse replies we have had more than enough and we will for you round 2 . Thanks Governor for accurate assessments.

I heard on CNN earlier today that CVS and Walgreens needed to get consent forms for almost everybody in the nursing homes or LTC before they would come out to give them vaccines. Many of these needed their guardian to sign off. That caused a significant delay with nursing homes.

heard on CNN earlier today that CVS and Walgreens needed to get consent forms for almost everybody in the nursing homes or LTC before they would come out to give them vaccines. Many of these needed their guardian to sign off. That caused a significant delay with nursing homes.

First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

I am kidding by the way

I can assure you that people are pulling out all the stops on MK-4482 (and MK-7110, which has already shared data) - most people I know barely even took any holiday time off and have been working insane hours. The slow pace was due to slow clinical enrollment, but interim data are expected in the next 1-2 weeks. But like the vaccines, for 4482, nobody knows if there will be efficacy until the data are available.

Sure it's disappointing that the two vaccine candidates failed, but some of that is due to how unexpectedly good the mRNA vaccines are (pretty sure MK would still be pursuing them if the mRNA vaccines didn't work or only showed 50-60% efficacy, which was enough to get approved).

Also, Merck is still the world's #2 vaccine company, by sales and continues to put out new/updated vaccines - and don't forget until COVID, Merck's Ebola vaccine was the fastest ever brought to market and has been a huge success and that was only a couple of years ago.

Slow clinical enrollment sounds like crazy talk. Literally have hundreds of thousands people every day who would beg to be in the trail.

Reactions: ATIOH and Greg2020
If you worked at a corporation and the job was to develop and distribute a product into people’s hands (arms) and you left it up to 50 individual distribution centers to develop their own plan and process, you would be summarily fired.

The Bloomberg report was just updated and NJ shot % is 57.1%, NY shot% is 63.3%, Texas 57.4% and Florida is 53.8%.

States have cited multiple reasons for the shortfalls. In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) on Wednesday said the city has canceled 23,000 vaccination appointments because Moderna's distributor delayed a shipment of 103,000 doses the city expected to receive on Tuesday.

"This is purely a shipment issue, a logistical issue," Dave Chokshi, New York City health commissioner, said on Wednesday.

According to McKesson Corp., which distributes Moderna's vaccines, some shipments were delayed because vaccines were arriving to sites colder than the temperature range provided by Moderna, although Bloomberg reports that it wasn't clear whether that was the same issue plaguing the New York City shipment.

Other states have reported similar supply shortages. In Hawaii, officials said the state received 59,000 doses last week but is only expected to receive around 32,000 this week, while officials in San Francisco's health department received 12,000 doses last week but fewer than 2,000 doses this week

if the vaccines are colder than the temperature range, are the vaccines ruined?

If you worked at a corporation and the job was to develop and distribute a product into people’s hands (arms) and you left it up to 50 individual distribution centers to develop their own plan and process, you would be summarily fired.
He was.

Reactions: pmvon
You're correct but ignoring the politics that were involved with everything Covid. Certain Governors, including Cuomo and Murphy told Trump he had no authority to order the states how to do things because it was the responsibility of the Governors. I don't know how much assistance was offered by the Federal Govt. but there's plenty of blame to go around. Trump's administration certainly shares it but they aren't solely responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT