ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Craig Carton will be back at WFAN as per NJ.com

Carton is smart, quirky and eccentric - people like that grab attention
I think he's better better since his downfall but I cant listen to the show too much
Carton and Roberts do a lot of "bicker chit-chat."
They can be talking about a sports topic and suddenly veer off into tangents of disagreement not sports related
Agree with this. They are too similar in styles - high strung and loud. You need more of a Ying Yang dynamic. They have some good insights but I can’t listen to them for too long.

BTW, FWIW Gio has turned out to be an insufferable listen in the three years since my OP.

Oh well, he’s the one making millions while I type this on my phone. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't get the draw of Gio. Every once in a blue moon he says something funny or prescient, but that show is absolutely the Boomer and <insert name here> Show. Gio's just along for the ride, and parlaying it into some Sage of South Shore Long Island schtick.

Ugh. No Carlin. He’s horrible. I know he’s a Rutgers guy so we are supposed to like him, but his takes are just bad most times.
You know what was an interesting dynamic? They paired Sal Licata and Keith McPherson to fill in for Evan and Carton one day and they were pretty good.

I don't get the draw of Gio. Every once in a blue moon he says something funny or prescient, but that show is absolutely the Boomer and <insert name here> Show. Gio's just along for the ride, and parlaying it into some Sage of South Shore Long Island schtick.
Should’ve been Boomer, Al, and Jerry

I think the problem with them together is Carton is occasionally funny and Roberts is a dork who thinks he is funny.
Good point. Maybe if Evan played the straight man better it would work. He’s almost trying to out Carton, Carton and it’s over the top. He’s very knowledgeable, much more so than Carton about sports. It would be better if he played off him.

You know what was an interesting dynamic? They paired Sal Licata and Keith McPherson to fill in for Evan and Carton one day and they were pretty good.
I would take that over Carlin anyday. I hate Michael Kay so we need a good show as an alternative.

Good point. Maybe if Evan played the straight man better it would work. He’s almost trying to out Carton, Carton and it’s over the top. He’s very knowledgeable, much more so than Carton about sports. It would be better if he played off him.
Carton is smarter than most with sports but he is playing the fool most of the time. His whole thing is to get people riled up with him or against him.
It is why he is successful. If he was the typical sports guy on the radio, he would just have his teams and stick with them.
But he purposely tries to act like a Rutgers in game thread.
And no brainer for him- 2 hours a day millions or 4 hours a day for a couple hundred thousand

Carton is actually quite knowledgeable about sports when they do have pure sports conversations. The thing is it's not what he wants to do. He wants to be a shock jock and sports talk seems like an obligation to him. Afternoons are traditionally more serious sports focused while the A.M. drive show usually allow for more leeway to freelance. He belongs in the morning. When he came back to the FAN he turned down an offer to do mornings in Philly. He should have gone there. Personally I don't like the guy and I don't like some of the people he calls friends. Professionally I prefer pure sports talk instead of schtick. Above poster was right about Evan too. He tries too hard to keep up with Carton that he crosses the line in a very cringe way. It's like he's a nerd in HS trying to smoke a cigarette so the cool kids like him and he just ends up coughing up a lung on the first puff. Gio is really insecure and anxiety ridden. Carton is a ghost he can't exorcize. He had a meltdown a few weeks back on air where you got a glimpse behind the curtain that he and Boomer aren't really THAT close. Boomer is usually looking for an opening to crowbar his political takes into a conversation. WFAN's problem is they don't know how to beat MIchael Kay in the afternoon without Carton. Me personally my favorite shows are with solo hosts where they don't yell and is calmer and focused. Stuff like Richard Neer or (occasionally) Kim Jones om the weekends.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Carton is actually quite knowledgeable about sports when they do have pure sports conversations. The thing is it's not what he wants to do. He wants to be a shock jock and sports talk seems like an obligation to him. Afternoons are traditionally more serious sports focused while the A.M. drive show usually allow for more leeway to freelance. He belongs in the morning. When he came back to the FAN he turned down an offer to do mornings in Philly. He should have gone there. Personally I don't like the guy and I don't like some of the people he calls friends. Professionally I prefer pure sports talk instead of schtick. Above poster was right about Evan too. He tries too hard to keep up with Carton that he crosses the line in a very cringe way. It's like he's a nerd in HS trying to smoke a cigarette so the cool kids like him and he just ends up coughing up a lung on the first puff. Gio is really insecure and anxiety ridden. Carton is a ghost he can't exorcize. He had a meltdown a few weeks back on air where you got a glimpse behind the curtain that he and Boomer aren't really THAT close. Boomer is usually looking for an opening to crowbar his political takes into a conversation. WFAN's problem is they don't know how to beat MIchael Kay in the afternoon without Carton. Me personally my favorite shows are with solo hosts where they don't yell and is calmer and focused. Stuff like Richard Neer or (occasionally) Kim Jones om the weekends.
Richard Neer on Sat mornings is awesome. Great start to weekends.

Carton is sort of fun if you take him for who he is and he does belong on drive time afternoon radio. I feel the morning shows should be the more serious "sports" talk.
Agree with much of all your comments. And oh man- Boomer, while one of my fav QB's ever...is maybe the most out of touch elitist athletes ever. He is very hard to listen to.

Reactions: RU-AGK
+1
Gio is a negative on the show.
Boomer and Gio are impossible to listen to. Boomer is all about first world problems with no idea how anyone else lives and Gio is an idiot that has no entertainment value either.

I guess, with Boomer, I sort of compare him to guys like Keith Hernandez, David Cone, Darling etc in baseball. Wish he would be more open to really discussing more detail and his experience on what some guys really need to do on the football field. He gives you nothing

Boomer and Gio are impossible to listen to. Boomer is all about first world problems with no idea how anyone else lives and Gio is an idiot that has no entertainment value either.

I guess, with Boomer, I sort of compare him to guys like Keith Hernandez, David Cone, Darling etc in baseball. Wish he would be more open to really discussing more detail and his experience on what some guys really need to do on the football field. He gives you nothing
After listening to WFAN exclusively for about 25 years, I fully moved to Mad Dog Sports and even ESPN Radio (the national feed from XM). I'm a Francesa fan and also listen to his BetsRiver podcast which is updated to YouTube. I'm enjoying the national POV on sports instead of NYC lens.

And I watch/listen to McAfee quite a bit. That's just a fun show.

after Carton left i switched to podcasts for commute, it's a spectacular medium. whatever you are in the mood for, you have your cple dozen or so staples across few different genres. no commercials. if you don't like the guest or topic, you go to another one.

Reactions: RU-05
Not a carton fan. But my opinion doesn’t matter . He gets big ratings
That he does. It will be an interesting decision that he has to make since his TV ratings aren't that big yet, but the money is reported to be. Plus, after reading the story that schedule he's currently working is insane. Maybe he's better off being that busy.

after Carton left i switched to podcasts for commute, it's a spectacular medium. whatever you are in the mood for, you have your cple dozen or so staples across few different genres. no commercials. if you don't like the guest or topic, you go to another one.
The thing about podcasts is that even the ones that I'm interested in seeking out, I'll sift through much of it to get to one part or guest I want to hear. They are generally pretty boring.

Reactions: Section124
Can you elaborate on the gio meltdown regarding him and boomer? Is it still online?

Yes. It was over mental health.
I heard it live, and he went off on the caller, admitted he stresses about his weight gain again and no studio staff stepped in and neither did Boomer to try and calm him down even after Gio was calling the caller some names. It was an extremely uncomfortable listen.

Last edited:
So YOU are his one listener? Have found him unlistenable for years.
Make that 2 listeners. Richard wasn’t always the best sports knowledge wise but he was thoughtful and treated the callers well. I liked him going back to his days at WNEW.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUPete
Carton is awful. Wish he was still in jail. 9 times out of 10 I listen he will go the entire 30 minutes I am in the car and not talk about sports once. Just not what I am looking for. Evan is great on his own, but sells out and just comes off douchey with Carton

Wow, i haven't heard that show in forever. No FAN down here at the bottom of NJ and the Philly stuff is unlistenable
I haven’t listened to “sports talk” since I left NJ in 2018. Can’t say I miss it or all those scam commercials on WFAN, WOR, etc. Can you still name a star after someone or buy vegetable vitamins that will cure everything from arthritis to cancer? “Sophisticated” NY/NJ audiences to market their scams to…..lol

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
The guy is more of a personality than knowledgeable about sports. Whatever gets ratings I guess.
Wow! Wonder what direction FAN goes with drive time now. They were destroying Michael Kay in the ratings.

Was a good Saturday morning listen until he got replaced by Cartons How to Gamble shows.
I'm no fan of Carton, but his show on gambling addiction is excellent.

And it's only 1/2 hour.

So Saturdays is now, Neer, 1/2hour of Carton, to Joe Beningo, who is excellent as a solo host. I'm able to list for about 1.5-2 hours at work on Sat's and it's really good radio imo.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT