ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Daily COVID Thread - 9/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but neither do you and that's exactly the point. Your stupidity endangers lives and you're exhibit A with respect to why the US has done so poorly in this pandemic. And here's another example of what COVID does and has been doing regularly for 6+ months. There are 5 dead now from that Maine wedding at a Baptist church where the pastor refuses to enforce distancing/masking, even after this tragedy. This guy should be thrown in jail or at least have his church shut down.

Not to make light of the situation, but George Carlin would have had a field day with this:

“The Calvary Baptist Church has a legal right to meet. The authority of a local Christian church, a Jewish synagogue, or a Muslim mosque to gather for their respective religious services is a time-honored part of our nation’s history since its inception,” the statement said. “These religious activities are also fully protected under the First Amendment to our United States Constitution.”

GEORGE CARLIN- "And so is the right to die. Congratulations on your Constitutional rights."

Reactions: RU848789
every damn time someone mentions hiding under the bed I think of this scene..

As a 56 year old I thank you for your useless input. My wife , son and I don't wear them. My neighbors don't wear them and most of my co-workers don't wear them. AND we don't do that distance thing either. We know it's all a bunch of crap ! We are not gov't sheep like you are. So crawl back under your bed a virus is looking for you. Oh and while your under there keep us informed about the weather. Thanks. Have a swell day.
P.S. how do you know I am infecting anyone ?

Your IQ is showing

Here’s another study showing the benefits of masks. You do believe in science, right?

For everyone else, please don’t pay attention to his posts. His schtick is posting racist, trolling posts.

You’re a different kind of sheep, the worst kind that truly believes they’re thinking for themselves but in reality is doing nothing of the sort. You probably do some research, but only through sources you “trust,” ignoring all others. That, in my opinion, makes you a sheep.

You sure are sticking it to the “gov’t sheep,” though, all the while endangering yourself and others. Herman Cain applauds you from his grave.

And no, before you say it, I’m certainly not staying in my basement scared of the virus. I’m 24 and was at the bar Saturday pounding shots with my friends. I’ll be doing the same this weekend, then get tested before seeing some older family members. No one is staying scared in their basement for the duration of the pandemic, unless they are elderly, at risk, or dumb. So save your breath and quit the tired rhetoric. If you’re gonna say something dumb at least make it somewhat clever...

Should we bring up John Lewis in this thread too?

Well said

Tired of the moral lecturing nonsense

Those afraid need to hide under their beds

And virus gone virus

Not well said, either one of you. If people wear masks ...no one has to hide under their beds. That's the whole damn point.

Anyone who's so hardcore is free to stop whining and go get the virus. Closer to herd immunity. You can be Sweden.

“And here's another example of what COVID does and has been doing regularly for 6+ months. There are 5 dead now from that Maine wedding at a Baptist church where the pastor refuses to enforce distancing/masking, even after this tragedy. This guy should be thrown in jail or at least have his church shut down.”

Tyranny by the govt can be a good thing, according to you.

Did you want the protesters jailed for the same offense?

Your IQ is showing

Here’s another study showing the benefits of masks. You do believe in science, right?

For everyone else, please don’t pay attention to his posts. His schtick is posting racist, trolling posts.

While I do believe masks work and I myself wear a mask, can we please stop saying that it's science that masks work. Logically it does seem like masking is a very good idea. Studies have shown that a significant amount of droplets are blocked by mask. But, I don't believe there are any conclusive studies (peer reviewed, etc.) that mask wearing prevents or significanlly reduces covid in a population. There are other studies that have supposedly shown that masks don't work with respect to other diseases. https://www.rcreader.com/commentary...f-science-relevant-to-covide-19-social-policy

My issue here is when we say: "It's science" it makes it sound as if it has been demonstrated and it is conclusive.

Merck quietly started its phase I/II vaccine trial in Belgium on its measles viral vector approach (from Themis an Austrian company, via Institut Pasteur) with the goal of only requiring a single shot. While Merck won't be first to market, it could have the best vaccine if they can achieve efficacy with a single dose.

I don't know, but neither do you and that's exactly the point. Your stupidity endangers lives and you're exhibit A with respect to why the US has done so poorly in this pandemic. And here's another example of what COVID does and has been doing regularly for 6+ months. There are 5 dead now from that Maine wedding at a Baptist church where the pastor refuses to enforce distancing/masking, even after this tragedy. This guy should be thrown in jail or at least have his church shut down.

Edit: and now we have Exhibit B, with bac agreeing with goru. Stupidity and negligence know no bounds.

The cases here are attributed to the wedding which was held at the church and the reception at the Big Moose Inn. Your post seems to point to the Church as the source, but the infected may have gotten the virus at the reception.

Dr. Nirav Shah, director of the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said a staff member at the nursing home became sick from a close contact of a wedding guest and a jail employee attended the reception, sparking the outbreaks at each facility.

So we really don't know if it was the church or the reception or both where the virus circulated

“And here's another example of what COVID does and has been doing regularly for 6+ months. There are 5 dead now from that Maine wedding at a Baptist church where the pastor refuses to enforce distancing/masking, even after this tragedy. This guy should be thrown in jail or at least have his church shut down.”

Tyranny by the govt can be a good thing, according to you.

Did you want the protesters jailed for the same offense?
Most wore masks and all were encouraged to do so and they were outdoors, whereas the wedding was indoors and masks were discouraged. Not even close to being the same, but nice try.

Reactions: Greg2020

Edit: and now we have Exhibit B, with bac agreeing with goru. Stupidity and negligence know no bounds.

Wow and the 5 dead just grew to 7 dead within the last few minutes.

Most wore masks and all were encouraged to do so and they were outdoors, whereas the wedding was indoors and masks were discouraged. Not even close to being the same, but nice try.

Reactions: goru1869
Merck quietly started its phase I/II vaccine trial in Belgium on its measles viral vector approach (from Themis an Austrian company, via Institut Pasteur) with the goal of only requiring a single shot. While Merck won't be first to market, it could have the best vaccine if they can achieve efficacy with a single dose.

Merck dropped the ball and is super late to the vaccine game. The problem will likely be solved by Pfizer, J&J, and Sanofi well before then.

No, but I know he did';t die of covid. Weird that you randomly bring up another african american figure when herman cain was brought up. I think we all know why you did that though.

You see race, skin color.

I see two politicians that recently passed away.

It's the difference between us.
You're a race baiter, identity politics

I judge people by their character, actions and word.

We are miles apart, thankfully.

Getting back to Herman Cain, it's a disgrace the way you talk about the man.

You don't have the slightest clue on where he acquired CV.

But you continue to blame him for his own death, a man who had stage 4 cancer.

You don't blame Lewis for his death because he was a Democrat.

You're on you're 4th screen name already , when will you stop your trolling?

You see race, skin color.

I see two politicians that recently passed away.

It's the difference between us.
You're a race baiter, identity politics

I judge people by their character, actions and word.

We are miles apart, thankfully.

Getting back to Herman Cain, it's a disgrace the way you talk about the man.

You don't have the slightest clue on where he acquired CV.

But you continue to blame him for his own death, a man who had stage 4 cancer.

You don't blame Lewis for his death because he was a Democrat.

You're on you're 4th screen name already , when will you stop your trolling?
I didn't even mention Herman in this thread until you mentioned John Lewis in response to Herman, someone else did. Hermain Cain was cured of cancer over a decade ago. He no longer had cancer. You're a clown.

Bullcrap justification

Just like health scientists encouraging protests by marxist and racist blm

Reactions: goru1869
You’re a different kind of sheep, the worst kind that truly believes they’re thinking for themselves but in reality is doing nothing of the sort. You probably do some research, but only through sources you “trust,” ignoring all others. That, in my opinion, makes you a sheep.

You sure are sticking it to the “gov’t sheep,” though, all the while endangering yourself and others. Herman Cain applauds you from his grave.

And no, before you say it, I’m certainly not staying in my basement scared of the virus. I’m 24 and was at the bar Saturday pounding shots with my friends. I’ll be doing the same this weekend, then get tested before seeing some older family members. No one is staying scared in their basement for the duration of the pandemic, unless they are elderly, at risk, or dumb. So save your breath and quit the tired rhetoric. If you’re gonna say something dumb at least make it somewhat clever...
YA mean something dumb like you just posted ? According to you , you will be out pounding shots with your friends this weekend , kind of dumb according to people like you who believe in mask wearing and distancing, isn't it ? Now go back into your parents cellar and crawl under your bed until your big weekend little one. And I don't believe about your testing comment but I will take your word about it. Have a swell day.

That's is a good point. I know several hospitalized, some intubated. I'm not sure I know anyone who has passed, but I have been out of my normal loop the past few months.

Yes, respiratory transmission of CV-19 is a bunch of crap. That's why the tri state area got hammered with cases. If you, your family, neighbors and coworkers become infected and maintain your careless approach, you will transmit it to others.

Moral lecturing is one thing, disregarding appropriate precautions and dismissing medical science is another.
You can believe the gov't and the media little sheepling , I will believe the sources I want to. My advice to you is crawl out from under your bed , take your mask off , go outside , get some fresh air and shake a neighbors hand and tell them how much you have missed them in the last 6 months . Have a swell day.

Your IQ is showing

AHH the race card. Good job !

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Bullcrap justification

Just like health scientists encouraging protests by marxist and racist blm

I stand with you on this one, assuming you're willing to Condemn a church leader who eschews masks. Condemn one, condemn both.

I'm all for addressing the global pandemic before trying to move on with tackling intrinsic racism and injustice. And fk violent criminal protesters with a hot rail spike, all the time.

You can believe the gov't and the media little sheepling , I will believe the sources I want to. My advice to you is crawl out from under your bed , take your mask off , go outside , get some fresh air and shake a neighbors hand and tell them how much you have missed them in the last 6 months . Have a swell day.

Letsgo has been one of the most informative, insightful participants in the COVID thread. Believe he works in the medical field and has probably been out from under his bed far more than you've peeped out from your prehistoric rock to spew trite, uninformed troll posts.

Back under your rock ...a new pile of misinformed alt-right propaganda is waiting for you.

For the record.

While I do believe masks work and I myself wear a mask, can we please stop saying that it's science that masks work. Logically it does seem like masking is a very good idea. Studies have shown that a significant amount of droplets are blocked by mask. But, I don't believe there are any conclusive studies (peer reviewed, etc.) that mask wearing prevents or significanlly reduces covid in a population. There are other studies that have supposedly shown that masks don't work with respect to other diseases. https://www.rcreader.com/commentary...f-science-relevant-to-covide-19-social-policy

My issue here is when we say: "It's science" it makes it sound as if it has been demonstrated and it is conclusive.
I think according to the hard science crowd, quadruple blind RCTs would be needed to prove efficacy of masks. But that only applies to HCQ and other things the orange man in the white house touts.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think according to the hard science crowd, quadruple blind RCTs would be needed to prove efficacy of masks. But that only applies to HCQ and other things the orange man in the white house touts.

Hey look! Knight Shift proving what an impartial, independent Beacon of light he is, again. Thanks for shining a more unified path forward!!

PITT/UPMC discover monoclonal antibody that can neutralize Covid 19 virus.

The antibody has been named Ab8 and is extremely potent, small and safe. Information has been publish in CELL.

Ab8 has the potential to treat patients who have Covid 19 and as a therapeutic to prevent the
Covid 19 virus.

Having said the above, Ab8 will need to go through Clinical Trials (requires FDA approval) hopefully in early 2021 to prove its effectiveness and safety.

PITT/UPMC just concluded a press conference on the subject.

For anyone interested this information is being reported on many internet sites and published in the New York Post.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:

The RCT sarcasm is wearing thin. They're better than observational studies on average and much better when run well - nobody, not even Doidge (who has run zero clinical trials) disagrees with that - they're nowhere near infallible though, especially if poorly designed, as any expert would agree.

Also, your post betrays your lack of understanding of basic science (I know, you're a patent lawyer - not the same, sorry). There are no randomized controlled trials we could even run for masks and transmission prevention of COVID, since it's universally agreed that exposing volunteers to a deadly virus on purpose is highly unethical. And unfortunately, only such trials would provide very close to incontrovertible "proof" in mask efficacy.

Until then we have to rely on inferential evidence from mask wearing vs. non-mask wearing comparisons and RCTs in animals, both of which strongly support the efficacy of masks in reducing (not eliminating) spread of COVID, as per the posts below (and I could post several more if you like). In addition, there's a vast amount of epidemiological evidence supporting masks for reducing transmissions at location, area, and country-wide levels.

Merck dropped the ball and is super late to the vaccine game. The problem will likely be solved by Pfizer, J&J, and Sanofi well before then.
Given your Blutarsky-esque prediction accuracy of 0.0%, forgive me if I chuckle just a little. If Merck has a single shot, more effective vaccine in April, there will still be billions of people who need vaccines and many of them would likely want a better one. But keep prattling on - it's what you do.

Anecdotes << epidemiological studies. I've posted a couple in the past which showed little to no increase from protests - not zero new cases, but the overall impacts were negligible, likely because of some masking and outdoor events combined with overall distancing of the population increasing during the protests.

the chinese scientist (who said she has the proof the virus originated from a lab in china not naturally evolved) has finally published her paper

too technical for me. anyone here can help everyday Joe to understand the significance?

This is something I have suspected from the onset. Given the veracity of the disease, where it seems to have originated from and the circumstantial evidence I have seen, it pointed to the Wuhan lab. This paper, if true helps to prove what I suspected. I will read it in further detail later but a couple of the highlights in simpler terms. 1) This virus has the possibility of being produced in a lab within 6 months, where as I have seen the evolution of the virus jumping from infected animal to humans is estimated at 50 years. 2) The authors state SARS-COV2 is similar to a bat virus discovered by the Chinese military between 2015 and 2017. SARS-COV2 is 97% identical to one of those viruses. 3) The receptor binding motif of SARS-COV2 is similar to SARS-COV from the 2002 outbreak. 4) There are certain components of SARS-COV2 which have never been found within a coronavirus in nature, ever. These components increase the ability of the virus to infect someone.
***Someone with a better background in this discipline, feel free to take over from here.

Not to make light of the situation, but George Carlin would have had a field day with this:

“The Calvary Baptist Church has a legal right to meet. The authority of a local Christian church, a Jewish synagogue, or a Muslim mosque to gather for their respective religious services is a time-honored part of our nation’s history since its inception,” the statement said. “These religious activities are also fully protected under the First Amendment to our United States Constitution.”

GEORGE CARLIN- "And so is the right to die. Congratulations on your Constitutional rights."

Love George Carlin. One of, if not his very last show, he talked about the dead and funerals. Instead of the deceased "looking down on us", Carlin suggested some could be in hell "looking up at us". Look it up on Youtube.

If there are medical studies, and I think RU#s has provided some links in the past, there is no need to read them IMO. Any barrier will impact the transmission rates.

Ya..ok..feel free to pretend knowing my daily routines. I'm almost willing to bet I have gotten out and taken in more fresh air than you in the past six months and interacted with more neighbors than you during that time...the difference is, I keep a little bit more distance than I used to because I know what this virus can do and how it can overcome the healthcare system...and I wear a mask when I am asked or feel the need to possibly prevent asymptomatic transmission. You dont seem to care what could happen to someone if you or your family infected them. Thats social irresponsibility. What a bunch of idiots..you, your family, neighbors and coworkerts who "continue wear masks" and dont seem to care....you all are a bunch of dumb idiots.

PITT/UPMC discover monoclonal antibody that can neutralize Covid 19 virus.

The antibody has been named Ab8 and is extremely potent, small and safe. Information has been publish in CELL.

Ab8 has the potential to treat patients who have Covid 19 and as a therapeutic to prevent the
Covid 19 virus.

Having said the above, Ab8 will need to go through Clinical Trials (requires FDA approval) hopefully in early 2021 to prove its effectiveness and safety.

PITT/UPMC just concluded a press conference on the subject.

For anyone interested this information is being reported on many internet sites and published in the New York Post.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Excellent work and nice paper, too, below. The "nanobody" talk started heating up about a month ago (post below) and there are several competitors working in this space. Given timelines to go through clinical trials, these will not be available for at least 6+ more months, by which time we'll hopefully have vaccines, but these could still find a use if vaccines aren't as effective as hoped (or the engineered antibody cocktails which are nearing the end of phase III trials). Plus, these would likely have very good stability and be small enough to perhaps use as a nasal spray, which could make them more effective.

Back of the envelope numbers that put a perspective on why people are acting the way they are.
Chances of having tested positive: 1 in 50
Chances of being hospitalized: 1 in 1,000
Chances of dying: 1 in 1,700
Chances of dying if you don’t have any comorbitities: 1 in 20,000

It’s likely most people don’t know anyone directly or even indirectly hospitalized or killed by this disease. Yet they have been asked to totally change their lifestyle and potentially have lost their job. I’m not trying to justify behavior but rather explain it.
As a 56 year old I thank you for your useless input. My wife , son and I don't wear them. My neighbors don't wear them and most of my co-workers don't wear them. AND we don't do that distance thing either. We know it's all a bunch of crap ! We are not gov't sheep like you are. So crawl back under your bed a virus is looking for you. Oh and while your under there keep us informed about the weather. Thanks. Have a swell day.
P.S. how do you know I am infecting anyone ?
where do up you work where you don’t have to wear a mask? Someplace outdoor?

Not directly covid-19 related, but related. For F's sake, not a tinfoil hat kind of person, but is the health industry and hospital systems colluding to make people more sick and susceptible to covid-19? Doctors with a backbone are speaking up on Twitter, but will anything change? This is why some people, namely those who are insulin resistant and prone to T2D, cannot figure out how to lose weight. What kind of message is the health system sending to people on proper diet?

As someone that has visited my father in the hospital, they provided nutrition meals. Maybe there are a small percentage that serve bad food but I have been in the hospital visiting a few other relatives and they all serve nutrition meals. Any nut can post on twitter.

Everyone can lose weight, just stay away from the carbs and also watch the calories. Almost all diets basically say keep the carbs and calories down. I losed 40 pounds and was pre diabetes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT