ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 PGA Tour thread

Rory to LIV? Not sure I am buying it but could see it based on his recent comments. I saw one rumor of Shane Lowery joining his team. IMO all the Euros will always be in play until LIV dies or a merger takes place.

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
Rory to LIV? Not sure I am buying it but could see it based on his recent comments. I saw one rumor of Shane Lowery joining his team. IMO all the Euros will always be in play until LIV dies or a merger takes place.

I've said from day 1 that the logical target by the PIF was to take over control of the DP Tour. LIV type events would be scattered throughout the year. The DP Tour already has some funky tournaments with music playing on some holes and men and women competing at the same event. DP Tour has become a minor league to the PGA and they need a cash infusion much more then the PGA. Currently the top European players now all play mostly in the US because the money is so much better. Gone are the days when the European players would stay overseas like Collin Montgomery and Seve Ballesteros.

Reactions: Section124
I don't know how important club selection is considering these guys are at least 2-3 clubs longer than the average viewer
The pros lofts are jacked, it’s not even close to a 1 to 1 comparison. The other say Bryson hit a ~200 yard pitching wedge.. Come on man..

I've said from day 1 that the logical target by the PIF was to take over control of the DP Tour. LIV type events would be scattered throughout the year. The DP Tour already has some funky tournaments with music playing on some holes and men and women competing at the same event. DP Tour has become a minor league to the PGA and they need a cash infusion much more then the PGA. Currently the top European players now all play mostly in the US because the money is so much better. Gone are the days when the European players would stay overseas like Collin Montgomery and Seve Ballesteros.
Apologies to all of the LIV supporters but their events are unwatchable. Loud music, shotgun starts.. to me that’s not professional golf. Might as well be some random jabroni and his buddies on a municipal course.

No thanks

someone really believes everything they read on the internet.

Maybe but Rory has taken a noticeably different tone with LIV the last couple of months and apparently he (and some others) have had some issues recently with Jay. Rory stuck by Monahan and took a staunch anti-LIV stance to then have Monahan kind of sell him and the others out.

There are also reports the merger details may be coming soon, so maybe guys like Rory are going to take the bag of cash now knowing the merger is coming and he'll have access to both tours.

Maybe but Rory has taken a noticeably different tone with LIV the last couple of months and apparently he (and some others) have had some issues recently with Jay. Rory stuck by Monahan and took a staunch anti-LIV stance to then have Monahan kind of sell him and the others out.

There are also reports the merger details may be coming soon, so maybe guys like Rory are going to take the bag of cash now knowing the merger is coming and he'll have access to both tours.
I don’t know how many articles I’ve seen about why golf needs LIV after Masters. It’s very clear LIV’s PR team is in over drive. It would’ve helped if the LIV players played better.

It’s no surprise the LIV players sucked ass at the Masters, their tournaments are exhibition events.

The bold was the big miss by LIV. Not sure why it didn't happen but that should have been their way in. Would have been so much easier to combine events with the PGAT.

Reactions: WhiteBus
LIV should’ve stick with the same format of 72 holes. Team format could’ve work. Less Louder and more golf. Also the team format has to be head to head.

LIV should’ve stick with the same format of 72 holes. Team format could’ve work. Less Louder and more golf. Also the team format has to be head to head.
I think they will go to 72 at some point. Especially if guys like Rahm are calling for it. Not sure about the head to head teams though. Kind of works better in the current format. Overall I am not a big fan of the teams but think it does what it was intended to do (keep players motivated to play as best as possible for all rounds).

That's not good. A terrific leaderboard at the top going into the weekend.
Ratings might be a little deceiving comparing to last year. I think final round was Easter Sunday last year. They had a more captive audience since the TV was on at family events. I still think the after effects of COVID caused people to want to get out more now/not watch sports on TV and the weather was great on Sunday.

Looks like LIV might be changing names to LXXII. Solves a lot of problems, including getting points.

Looks like LIV might be changing names to LXXII. Solves a lot of problems, including getting points.

It doesn't solve all their OGWR points issue. The LIV bots on social media have been misrepresenting why the league didn't get OGWR. A big issue was the fact the tour is a closed tour and that relegation was kind of nebulous. LIV tried to address that with their qualifying tournament but apparently it wasn't enough.

The OGWR is basically arguing that players on LIV, since it's a closed tour, would have opportunities for points that golfers on other tours would not. Many pro golfers struggle to even get into some events whereas a guy like Chase Koepka would have an opportunity to get points not on merits but simply because he was locked into a closed tour. Now Koepka is out but the example still stands.

Reactions: jtung230
Ratings might be a little deceiving comparing to last year. I think final round was Easter Sunday last year. They had a more captive audience since the TV was on at family events. I still think the after effects of COVID caused people to want to get out more now/not watch sports on TV and the weather was great on Sunday.

This was the first year I watched predominantly via the Masters app, even on the weekend.

But I do believe pro golf is facing a contraction in terms of fan interest. There's no "Woods" to draw in people. I think the LIV/PGAT infighting where the talent has been split between two tours has hurt. People don't want to watch the PGAT because some of the big names are missing and LIV suffers from not having all the stars as well along with the fact the product doesn't seem to all that appealing beyond the "core" LIV fan. The LIV bots are all crowing on social media that the PGAT is dying based on declining numbers but what they aren't saying is those fans aren't suddenly flocking to watch LIV. They just aren't watching. Norman is full of shit when he talks about the increased interest in LIV. His own players aren't buying it and some have even come out, such as DeChambeau and admitted that what is happening is driving fans off completely, not driving them to one tour or the other.

This was the first year I watched predominantly via the Masters app, even on the weekend.

But I do believe pro golf is facing a contraction in terms of fan interest. There's no "Woods" to draw in people. I think the LIV/PGAT infighting where the talent has been split between two tours has hurt. People don't want to watch the PGAT because some of the big names are missing and LIV suffers from not having all the stars as well along with the fact the product doesn't seem to all that appealing beyond the "core" LIV fan. The LIV bots are all crowing on social media that the PGAT is dying based on declining numbers but what they aren't saying is those fans aren't suddenly flocking to watch LIV. They just aren't watching. Norman is full of shit when he talks about the increased interest in LIV. His own players aren't buying it and some have even come out, such as DeChambeau and admitted that what is happening is driving fans off completely, not driving them to one tour or the other.
Increase in LIV interest is only because it was so low (like going from 1 to 2 (100% increase). The fact CW is now on most streaming services helps. They still have a long way to go without a major network but I hope the tours can come to an agreement to save fan interest. The whole PGAT/LIV battle with the media/fans turns me off as well.

Last edited:
Well we can end the Rory to LIV talk if anyone who believed it.
And I'm sure there will be some who think he was talking to them and use "where there is smoke, there is fire" line. That phrase should be retired since the Internet has taken over. There is no smoke since random, anonymous people can post complete BS and people will believe it.

Well we can end the Rory to LIV talk if anyone who believed it.
And I'm sure there will be some who think he was talking to them and use "where there is smoke, there is fire" line. That phrase should be retired since the Internet has taken over. There is no smoke since random, anonymous people can post complete BS and people will believe it.
Rory to LIV would have been the biggest walk back ever. This is why I hate social media. So many people looking to get paid for being influencers. Most of it crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT