ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 PGA Tour thread

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
First let's keep LIV PGA off this thread. Just about each tournament and PGA players. We already have a PGA/LIV merger thread.

I'm back home and the conditions outside are miserable. Cold/Windy/Raining. I'm watching The Sentry is on in Hawaii. I'm feeling warmer. NBC is giving great views.
Who's going to have the best year and who do you think will win each Majors?

Reactions: Section124
Watching the Dubai Invitational. Is this a pro am tournament? They just show a couple of the amateur shots and they were awful.

Just checked to see if Gotterup was in the field this week. No dice unfortunately. Hopefully he gets enough at bats to keep his card.

Just checked to see if Gotterup was in the field this week. No dice unfortunately. Hopefully he gets enough at bats to keep his card.
He wouldn't start there as it's an expensive trip and not familiar with the course and not his type of course. If he wins a tournament this year he would certainly play in both Hawaii tournaments to start next year as the Sentry Tournament at Kapalua pays a lot of the expenses for the year before Champions to open the season there.

He wouldn't start there as it's an expensive trip and not familiar with the course and not his type of course. If he wins a tournament this year he would certainly play in both Hawaii tournaments to start next year as the Sentry Tournament at Kapalua pays a lot of the expenses for the year before Champions to open the season there.
I’m friends with Vince Covello. When he got his card via Korn Ferry he got into Sony. Had to pay the price. Couldn’t turn it down. Vince got 10 starts and was out after the reshuffle.

Yeah I’m not sure Chris is in a position to turn down any opportunity. Probably not worth the Monday Q but he’s gotta grind. I know there was some drama with the Korn ferry carryover. I think only 10 guys were invited. Shoutout Ryan McCormick. Shore conference stud who’s finally getting his shot after like 10 years grinding.

Yeah I’m not sure Chris is in a position to turn down any opportunity. Probably not worth the Monday Q but he’s gotta grind. I know there was some drama with the Korn ferry carryover. I think only 10 guys were invited. Shoutout Ryan McCormick. Shore conference stud who’s finally getting his shot after like 10 years grinding.
He wasn't given an opportunity this week unless a lot of others bailed.

2 Shore Conference studs. Gotterup is a CBA grad.

He was most likely in Hawaii this week anyway, they had the rookie orientation there this week.

Sounds like a strange schedule this year. Lots of the Korn Ferry grads will only get a start or two between Hawaii and the west coast swing.

Going to have to take advantage of any opportunities.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Hey did the PGA Tour outlaw the long putters touching the chest yet? Because I think I see the kid playing with Theegala with a really long putter.

Long putters are not illegal. Anchoring the long putter to your chest is illegal.

Ah maybe that what he was doing. I didn't see him actually put but his putter was very long.

I'd like to see putter grips required to match the grips used on other clubs. The grip of the hands not the physical installed grip.

Ah maybe that what he was doing. I didn't see him actually put but his putter was very long.

I'd like to see putter grips required to match the grips used on other clubs. The grip of the hands not the physical installed grip.
What's a "physical installed grip"?

What's a "physical installed grip"?

Well how you hold the club is a grip and the thing you hold is a grip. I was referring to the latter. The physical grip - installed on the club. Not the position of the hands.

Chris Gotterup gets his 1st start this week at the American Express. Tees off Thu at 1:09 Eastern on the Nicklaus Course, then the Dye Course Friday, and La Quinta Saturday.

Wish him success.
Tough day for Chris, currently at +6 including two doubles and a quad.

Yeah, he was 2 Under after 8 but it fell apart after that.
And that's an easy course.
Hopefully just nervous as his official first start. Many of us are just huge fans of his so he has many opportunities.

NJ guys Max Greyserman (T39 / -5) and Ryan McCormick (T146 / +2) also in the tournament. Gotterup (155 / +5) 2nd worst today. I don't know if I ever recall 3 true NJ guys in the same tournament.

NJ guys Max Greyserman (T39 / -5) and Ryan McCormick (T146 / +2) also in the tournament. Gotterup (155 / +5) 2nd worst today. I don't know if I ever recall 3 true NJ guys in the same tournament.
Actually 4. John Pak from Scotch Plains is also in the field.

It appears Chris is having the same issue he had at times on Korn Ferry. After 2 Rounds he's hitting less than 50% of Fairways off the Tee. Last I checked he was 4th in driving distance (340+) but what does it matter if you have to scramble more often than not? He did shoot a 68 (-4) today which only put him T149 at +1.

T50 Max Greyserman -9
T76 John Pak -7
T130 Ryan McCormick -2

Chris shot a 6 Under 66 today. 8 Birdies and 1 Double Bogey. Finished -5. No surprise the 1st round was too much to overcome.

Cut was -13.

T28 Max Greyserman -15

Cut Ryan McCormick -10
Cut John Pak -6

Damn. College Soph wins the Amex. Misses out on $1.5M purse. Still gets two year tour exemption.

Missing that payout hurts.

He's in the signature events if he turns pro. No cut events, last place is $50k x 7 events remaining = $350k if he wants it.

And I'm sure his agents phone is ringing tonight from potential sponsors. Kid doesnt have to worry about money anymore.

Reactions: knightfan7
Feel bad for the caddy, probably would have made 150k this weekend. He's not a professional caddy, was one of the alabama coaches until recently. Nick will probably pick up an experienced caddy once he turns pro.

Same as football. NIL is not sport specific. There are no true amateurs anymore.
I’m not looking at it from the NCAA side of things…I’m saying from the golf side. Once you a.ccept the endorsements, aren’t you no longer an Amateur? I would have said that Amateur golfers are truly still amateurs.

I’m not looking at it from the NCAA side of things…I’m saying from the golf side. Once you a.ccept the endorsements, aren’t you no longer an Amateur? I would have said that Amateur golfers are truly still amateurs.
I think NIL judgement doesn't apply just to college students. There are kids in HS getting deals. Good question though. I'll have to do some research on that.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I think NIL judgement doesn't apply just to college students. There are kids in HS getting deals. Good question though. I'll have to do some research on that.
Seems that the rules were changed...

Another development that helped to pave the way for more NILs in golf was the modernization of the rules of amateur status, which were implemented jointly by golf’s two governing bodies for amateur competition worldwide, the R&A and the USGA, effective Jan. 1, 2022. A statement from the USGA issued in late 2021 stated that, “the new rules remove many of the restrictions that previously applied to amateur golfers, while ensuring that the integrity of the game is protected by limiting the form and value of the prizes and amateur golfer can accept.”

Significant among the new rules are that an amateur golfer can now accept cash and non-cash prizes in competition up to $1,000 in value, and all sponsorship, promotional, advertising and expense-related restrictions are eliminated.

Seems that the rules were changed...

Another development that helped to pave the way for more NILs in golf was the modernization of the rules of amateur status, which were implemented jointly by golf’s two governing bodies for amateur competition worldwide, the R&A and the USGA, effective Jan. 1, 2022. A statement from the USGA issued in late 2021 stated that, “the new rules remove many of the restrictions that previously applied to amateur golfers, while ensuring that the integrity of the game is protected by limiting the form and value of the prizes and amateur golfer can accept.”

Significant among the new rules are that an amateur golfer can now accept cash and non-cash prizes in competition up to $1,000 in value, and all sponsorship, promotional, advertising and expense-related restrictions are eliminated.

Thanks.
As I remember that NIL were mandated by the courts over all sports although the focus was on just college.
Golf always allowed sponsors to give products to golfers for free or dramatically reduced prices. But never cash.

Gotterup tees off tomorrow at 2:09 Eastern in last group off #1 on the North Course.

McCarthy at the same time off #10 on the South Course.

Greyserman is off at 1:51 also off #1 on the North Course.

Anyone know why this is a Wed-Sat tourney?

Gotterup tees off tomorrow at 2:09 Eastern in last group off #1 on the North Course.

McCarthy at the same time off #10 on the South Course.

Greyserman is off at 1:51 also off #1 on the North Course.

Anyone know why this is a Wed-Sat tourney?
Avoid NFL on Sunday

Nick Dunlap withdraws from Torrey Pines where he was supposed to play this weekend. I'm guessing he his huddling with family and deciding to go pro or not. He has the exemption to play the Masters, U S. Open, The Open Championship and the Players Championship without turning pro based on his US Amateur victory. Turn pro he gets into the PGA Championship based off his win this past weekend and complete PGA Tour exemption for 2024. He has had an unbelievable amateur career, he has nothing left to prove. He seems like a great kid so he should crush it with
endorsements. It's time for him to take the step.

Also, if you haven't heard the Pebble Beach Pro -Am is going through big changes. It has become a "signature" event so a lot has to be done. Decreasing the number of two man teams from 156 down to just 80. No Bill Murray and a lot of the others. Pro -Am is now just 2 rounds and finishes on Friday. With smaller field Monterey Peninsula course is out.
For the Pros it's a limited field, no cut event with more money.
The Crosby Clambake isn't what it used to be.

Also, if you haven't heard the Pebble Beach Pro -Am is going through big changes. It has become a "signature" event so a lot has to be done. Decreasing the number of two man teams from 156 down to just 80. No Bill Murray and a lot of the others. Pro -Am is now just 2 rounds and finishes on Friday. With smaller field Monterey Peninsula course is out.
For the Pros it's a limited field, no cut event with more money.
The Crosby Clambake isn't what it used to be.
I was really disappointed when I heard it. Always enjoyed watching the Wednesday celeb closest to the pin contest on CBSSN too that they got rid of (only good news is that I'm no longer forced to watch every shot of Chris Berman's on the TV coverage the day he plays Pebble)...and also hate that the Genesis is also going the Signature route. Riveria is my favorite non-major course to watch them play, but these smaller field, no cut events just aren't the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT