ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 PGA Tour thread

The Players Championship is off and running.

Rory off to a great start, despite putting one drive in the water on 18th hole, started on back 9. -8 with a few holes to go.

The Players Championship is off and running.

Rory off to a great start, despite putting one drive in the water on 18th hole, started on back 9. -8 with a few holes to go.
First tournament this year that has top players at the top of the leaderboard. Hope it continues throughout the weekend.

Spoke too early, Rory with another drive into the water, dropped to -6. Schauffele now in the lead at -7.

Looks like there was a controversy about one of Rory's drives. Apparently him, his caddy and Spieth were in a heated disagreement.
It was across the fairway from the closest TV camera and due to the fact it was below the farway, it could not be determined whether or not it landed above or below the hazzard line.

Golf Channel did a segment after the broadcast, attempting to figure where it landed by throwing a ball as hard as possible in 3 spots to see how the ball would bounce. It was inconclusive but felt fairly confident that the ball COULD have landed in play then bounced into the water. I'm not saying he cheated because the group was 300 or more yards away. I don't know how good their view could have been to say within a foot or two where it landed.

Last edited:
Surprised no posts about the TPC this weekend. Missed yesterday, but have watched all the drama today - what a rollercoaster! Scheffler with 64 to take the lead at -20 in the clubhouse, Xander and Clark kind of choking on the lead, but now in position to maybe tie Scheffler and be one down with birdies on 17, respectively, and Harman still with a shot to tie with a birdie on 18. Fun watch.

Reactions: knightfan7
Surprised no posts about the TPC this weekend. Missed yesterday, but have watched all the drama today - what a rollercoaster! Scheffler with 64 to take the lead at -20 in the clubhouse, Xander and Clark kind of choking on the lead, but now in position to maybe tie Scheffler and be one down with birdies on 17, respectively, and Harman still with a shot to tie with a birdie on 18. Fun watch.
I posted a couple day 1, no response so gave up. Figured no one was into it.

Reactions: RU848789
I posted a couple day 1, no response so gave up. Figured no one was into it.
Most only care about events when all the best players are competing. I guess that means we are down to only 4 a year now. Sad for golf.

Most only care about events when all the best players are competing. I guess that means we are down to only 4 a year now. Sad for golf.
Still has 41 of the top 50 players in golf and the top 4 guys battling to win include 3 with majors (2 last year) and the 4th is probably the best to never have won a major.

Holy crap, how did that putt by Clark not drop?

Reactions: newell138
You have to play all eighteen. Hell the first two rounds aren't played in order at every PGA Tournament. Not every course is designed to have a tough finish. Take Augusta and Amen Corner. They start at the turn. (10 should be considered part of it). At The Opens you don't know the easy holes or tough holes until you see the strong wind direction.
This biggest disadvantage/advantage to golfers is the tee time and the nine they start on as weather changes can dramatically change from morning to afternoon especially at The Open.

Scottie Scheffler's caddy Ted Scott has earned more the last two weeks than Rory McElroy has all year in the PGA Tour! And more then $300,000 in the last two weeks. Yet Rory it still the #2 player in the world.

Scottie Scheffler's caddy Ted Scott has earned more the last two weeks than Rory McElroy has all year in the PGA Tour! And more then $300,000 in the last two weeks. Yet Rory it still the #2 player in the world.
Doesn’t Rory already have a win on the DP Tour? Those also get you money and points

I was pretty clear when I said PGA Tour. I guess you didn't have your coffee yet 🙄
just wasn’t sure if you knew world ranking points can be earned on the DP Tour since you question his ranking.

just wasn’t sure if you knew world ranking points can be earned on the DP Tour since you question his ranking.
I know how the world rankings work.
I guess you just missed the joke. Another one on here that is too serious.

Anyway if you are such rankings expert maybe you should run a class for the PGA Tour players who are still confused with how they are getting into the Select Events. First it doesn't use the World Rankings at all. Then add in this, simple right??
AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am (Jan. 29-Feb. 4)
- Aon Next 10 – from the final FedExCup Fall standings
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Sony Open in Hawaii, The American Express and Farmers Insurance Open
• The Genesis Invitational (Feb. 12-18)
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Sony Open in Hawaii, The American Express, Farmers Insurance Open and WM Phoenix Open
• Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard (March 4-10)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through The Classic in The Palm Beaches
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Mexico Open at Vidanta and The Classic in The Palm Beaches
• RBC Heritage (April 15-21)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through the Masters Tournament
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Puerto Rico Open, Valspar Championship, Texas Children’s Houston Open and Valero Texas Open
• Wells Fargo Championship (May 6-12)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through AT&T Byron Nelson
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Corales Puntacana Championship, Zurich Classic of New Orleans and AT&T Byron Nelson
• the Memorial Tournament presented by Workday (June 3-9)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through RBC Canadian Open
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Myrtle Beach Classic, Charles Schwab Challenge and RBC Canadian Open
• Travelers Championship (June 17-23)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through U.S. Open
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Myrtle Beach Classic, Charles Schwab Challenge and RBC Canadian Open"

World Rankings mean nothing anymore simply because they don't have a sponsor. The FedEx rankings and the Aon Points (based on players decisions in recent play on predetermined golf holes) rule the PGA these days.

A great start for Chris Gotterup in the opening round of the Houston Open. Shoots 3 under 67 and most importantly no bogeys. Hope this is a start of a good run for him.

A great start for Chris Gotterup in the opening round of the Houston Open. Shoots 3 under 67 and most importantly no bogeys. Hope this is a start of a good run for him.
I'm a broken record with this.....

I follow him on Tourcast. Yesterday he was #1 in Shots Gained Putting. He was also #128 in Driving Accuracy (30.8%). He was #1 in Scrambling at 7 for 7 but that's good and bad. Good that he was successful. Bad that he was in that position..

There is close to no one who hits his tee shots farther off the tee than Chris. Unfortunately there is close to no one who finds landing spots more off line. I've seen tee shots 30-40 yards off the fairway. Yesterday he was able to recover from wayward drives and still make Pars but in almost every tourney, it catches up to him.

I will say he has been putting well from 15' in and very seldom 3 putts, but due to having to recover from wayward drives, his first putt is often from 30-60 feet.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Here's an example of what I was saying early in today's Round.

On the 575yd Par 5, 3rd he drove the ball 344 yards so far off line Tourcast described his ball was in "unknown". He had to play up the fairway to about 90 yards from the green. A not very good approach and 2 putts from 50' led to a Par. On the next hole, a 495yd Par 4, he dialed it back, driving the ball 285. His approach was 6' from the cup and made the Birdie. He had done the same on #5 with a drive so far offline it's another "unknown". The best way to describe it is you're teeing off from River Rd, the Bubble is the fairway, and you hit the ferris wheel on the boardwalk lol.

Bless his soul, he scrambled for a 1 putt Par again.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
I know how the world rankings work.
I guess you just missed the joke. Another one on here that is too serious.

Anyway if you are such rankings expert maybe you should run a class for the PGA Tour players who are still confused with how they are getting into the Select Events. First it doesn't use the World Rankings at all. Then add in this, simple right??
AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am (Jan. 29-Feb. 4)
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Sony Open in Hawaii, The American Express and Farmers Insurance Open
• The Genesis Invitational (Feb. 12-18)
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Sony Open in Hawaii, The American Express, Farmers Insurance Open and WM Phoenix Open
• Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard (March 4-10)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through The Classic in The Palm Beaches
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Mexico Open at Vidanta and The Classic in The Palm Beaches
• RBC Heritage (April 15-21)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through the Masters Tournament
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Puerto Rico Open, Valspar Championship, Texas Children’s Houston Open and Valero Texas Open
• Wells Fargo Championship (May 6-12)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through AT&T Byron Nelson
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Corales Puntacana Championship, Zurich Classic of New Orleans and AT&T Byron Nelson
• the Memorial Tournament presented by Workday (June 3-9)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through RBC Canadian Open
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Myrtle Beach Classic, Charles Schwab Challenge and RBC Canadian Open
• Travelers Championship (June 17-23)
- Aon Next 10 – from the current FedExCup standings through U.S. Open
- Aon Swing 5 – top FedExCup points earners from Myrtle Beach Classic, Charles Schwab Challenge and RBC Canadian Open"

World Rankings mean nothing anymore simply because they don't have a sponsor. The FedEx rankings and the Aon Points (based on players decisions in recent play on predetermined golf holes) rule the PGA these days.
Note that World Rankings also play into getting into the Signature events (and also the majors)…though many of those guys in the top 30 meet other qualifying criteria too.

Chris got to 4 Under and T5 at the time. He then Bogeyed 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, and 13. He Birdied 16 but is now 1 stroke ouside the cut line playing 17.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT