ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The OFFICIAL UW at RU Weather Thread: Looking Like a Gorgeous Day on Friday

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
It's OFFICIAL, because the word OFFICIAL is in all caps, lol. Main reason for starting my own thread is it's way easier for me to search for such threads when I've started them (I do look back at these sometimes). My apologies if that annoys some, but it's what I'm going to do. I will do separate threads for each game, as many have requested.

So, we're right at the edge of where most meteorologists start seriously evaluating the medium range models, given that deterministic forecasts beyond 7-8 days simply aren't very accurate (has to do with chaos theory, the inaccuracy and paucity of initial and boundary conditions and error propagation over time), which is why no reputable sources publish forecasts beyond 7-8 days.

Anyway, right now, uncertainty on the forecast is extremely high, given the uncertainty in the large scale synoptic trends regionally and globally, particularly with regard to the eventual fate of Harvey and what that might mean for our area next Friday. A perfect way to illustrate the uncertainty is to look at the NWS forecasts from the Philly office for Middlesex County and the NYC office's forecast for adjacent Union County and SI. They're a bit different, although to be fair, it's not like the Philly office is calling for a washout - just noting the chance of showers vs. a dry forecast from NYC.

The Philly office forecast includes a chance of showers, as they're thinking there's some chance that the remnants of Harvey get caught up in and influence the evolution of the trough that is expected to be crossing the US late in the week - and that that could lead to some showers on Friday. The NYC office has more confidence in the trough and attendant cold front sweeping through the area by late Thursday or early Friday, leading to dry and pleasant conditions later on Friday. Hard to know who will be right this far out. Either way, temps appear to be close to seasonable (avg high/low is 82/61F) for Friday. Below are the relevant discussions from each.

NWS-Philly:

In addition, another digging shortwave trough will
reach the Northeast by the end of the week. With the remnants of
TC Harvey expected to be pulled northeastward late next week,
there appears to be a decent shot of a wet period at some point
near or shortly beyond the end of the long-term period. Stay
tuned.

NWS-NYC:

For Thursday and Friday, uncertainty stems from the timing of a cold
front passage. Will continue with the idea that it passes through
sometime during Thursday night. This would then bring a chance of a
shower or thunderstorm NW of the city during the day Thursday, then
to the rest of the area during the night. High pressure building in
on Friday will should then keep us dry with a continuation of below-
average temperatures.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Reactions: BigLou
Also, if it rains, no big deal.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAW4AAAAJDIzZGZiY2VjLTBlMmUtNGE1NS04MGNlLWJmZDY2ZTJmZmY1Mw.jpg

Reactions: RAA-1
Thanks #'s, I'll try to remember not to blame you if we get bad weather on the 1st.

Problem is the short term forecast. Counting the past couple of days we're looking at a week of beautiful weather. Don't they know that we just don't get that here in NJ. Once I saw that I knew we were in for a problem on 9/1.

Does anyone ever recall us winning a game in really awful weather? I don't. Seems to me in addition to getting wet (and cold) I don't remember ever celebrating a victory in the rain. I remember a lot of very wet disappointments however.

Does anyone ever recall us winning a game in really awful weather? I don't. Seems to me in addition to getting wet (and cold) I don't remember ever celebrating a victory in the rain. I remember a lot of very wet disappointments however.
At Maryland in 2009. Absolute awful downpour but we prevailed.

Good news for us, bad news for Texas. Harvey is now forecast to meander around east Texas through at least Thursday, meaning the storm will not be a player in our weather, which should allow the cold front to come through here late on Thursday or early Friday. If that plays out, Friday will be seasonable and dry. Crossing fingers.

Our next weather feature is anticipated to be a cold front
approaching from the north on Thursday. The boundary is forecast
to pass through our region on Thursday night. While moisture
may be somewhat limited with the cold front, we will mention a
slight chance of a shower or thunderstorm. Dry weather is
expected for Friday. Temperatures should be near normal late in the week.

Reactions: PatrickRU92

Can't forget smashing the Orange 35-17 on November 8, 2008. My first rain game at Rutgers Stadium.

At Army in the rain and snow about 10 years ago. Crushed them 41-6.

Was that a night game ?
I remember getting some hot chocolate in a souvenir Army Cup.
Was sleeting and snowing.
Actually thought it was more like 15 years ago. Early GS years.

I remember beating Duke, 7-0, at Giants Stadium in 1987. The entire game was played while rain came down in sheets. Also, it's memorable because it was Rutgers' 500th win in school history.

Was that a night game ?
I remember getting some hot chocolate in a souvenir Army Cup.
Was sleeting and snowing.
Actually thought it was more like 15 years ago. Early GS years.

2007. I was there for that...

Games I've seen: Brown, Bucknell, Duke and Princeton. Probably a few more, but these were rainstorms that lasted throughout the game and we won.
Throw in the Fog Game against Boston U. Also, lost to Uconn at Storrs in a game played in 30 mph winds and higher gusts. Sunny and cold.

'92 Va Tech?

Games I've seen: Brown, Bucknell, Duke and Princeton. Probably a few more, but these were rainstorms that lasted throughout the game and we won.
Throw in the Fog Game against Boston U. Also, lost to Uconn at Storrs in a game played in 30 mph winds and higher gusts. Sunny and cold.

If you're referring to the 1955 Brown game, I remember it well!!

Reactions: RUsince52
It's OFFICIAL, because the word OFFICIAL is in all caps, lol. Main reason for starting my own thread is it's way easier for me to search for such threads when I've started them (I do look back at these sometimes). My apologies if that annoys some, but it's what I'm going to do. I will do separate threads for each game, as many have requested.
:gun: You better :).

Just make sure to give us a new title to go along with the new thread so it's easier for US to find. All I ask.

That's the one, really unplayable conditions. The Duke game at GS was played at night with sheets of wind and rain going across the field, 7-0 win.
Was that Kentucky or am I just remembering it wrong as another blue team?

Can't forget smashing the Orange 35-17 on November 8, 2008. My first rain game at Rutgers Stadium.
I remember a very windy game vs Syracuse at Rutgers Stadium.. a victory. I was quite upset that Schiano did not watch the clock near the end of a quarter to punt with the wind rather than into it.. but twice, iirc, we punted and kicked into the wind and Syracuse muffed receiving it for turnovers to us!

mostly sunny during the day, high near 80, NWS Mt Holly seems to think Harvey's waste will be supressed to south as the front pulls through on Thursday night

:gun: You better :).

Just make sure to give us a new title to go along with the new thread so it's easier for US to find. All I ask.

I'm one of the few people who change thread titles regularly, so no worry on that end. If you recall, I used to do that with the single thread for all the games, but people on cell phones complained that the threads were too hard to navigate, which is why y'all asked for separate, shorter threads.

Was that the game of the infamous Rutgers TD Club bus trip debacle?
Yes it was - luckily, I drove up separately with my then 13 year old son and explored the West Point campus and museums - had a great day until the heavy rain and snow hit. The drive home was kind of treacherous, as the road south went up in elevation and the mix turned to a few inches of snow.

I'm one of the few people who change thread titles regularly, so no worry on that end. If you recall, I used to do that with the single thread for all the games, but people on cell phones complained that the threads were too hard to navigate, which is why y'all asked for separate, shorter threads.
I also recall when you didn't. ;)

Which is why I reminded you. :)

Please keep up the good work. One of the best in season threads/topics on here...one of those IMO that makes us, us.

Just about a lock now for a nice day on Friday, as the remants of Harvey will remain in Texas through the end of the week, and the trough and attendant cold front will sweep through the area late on Thursday into very early Friday, clearing the area by Friday morning, producing dry and slightly cooler than normal conditions on Friday, with highs in the mid-70s and temps dropping through the 60s during the game. Some folks might even find it cool by the end of the game.

Looks like an awesome day for a tailgate and football game. It's still 5 days out, but confidence is very high in this forecast - it's extremely unlikely the model consensus on the frontal progression timing is off by 18 hours or more, which is what would need to happen to bring any risk of rain to the afternoon and evening on Friday. Wish I could be there for the tailgate and hoping to at least get clearance to come up for the game (we're in OCNJ all week and Friday is my wedding anniversary).

The model guidance is trending toward an earlier arrival for
Thursday night`s cold front. It looks as though it will pass
through most of eastern Pennsylvania, northeastern Maryland, New
Jersey and Delaware on Thursday evening. It may bring showers
and thunderstorms around that time. High pressure and dry weather are expected for Friday and Saturday.

Reactions: RAA-1 and RUseaweed
Just about a lock now for a nice day on Friday, as the remants of Harvey will remain in Texas through the end of the week, and the trough and attendant cold front will sweep through the area late on Thursday into very early Friday, clearing the area by Friday morning, producing dry and slightly cooler than normal conditions on Friday, with highs in the mid-70s and temps dropping through the 60s during the game. Some folks might even find it cool by the end of the game.

Looks like an awesome day for a tailgate and football game. It's still 5 days out, but confidence is very high in this forecast - it's extremely unlikely the model consensus on the frontal progression timing is off by 18 hours or more, which is what would need to happen to bring any risk of rain to the afternoon and evening on Friday. Wish I could be there for the tailgate and hoping to at least get clearance to come up for the game (we're in OCNJ all week and Friday is my wedding anniversary).

The model guidance is trending toward an earlier arrival for
Thursday night`s cold front. It looks as though it will pass
through most of eastern Pennsylvania, northeastern Maryland, New
Jersey and Delaware on Thursday evening. It may bring showers
and thunderstorms around that time. High pressure and dry weather are expected for Friday and Saturday.

Stunned.

Happy. But stunned

At Maryland in 2009. Absolute awful downpour but we prevailed.
oh yeah...remember that one..was there getting drenched with my cousins and my poor 75 year old uncle who stuck it out - all who are Terp fans.....lol

temps continue to be lowered for Friday...coldest air of the year...should be mostly sunny during the day but temps struggling to get much over 70...it will be probably in the low 60s by kickoff and in the 50s during the game...with everyone used to warm weather...you will get cold...bring long pants and sweatshirts for the game

Long pants for the game? Yeah, that ain't gonna happen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT