ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Ouch.

FTDtQCvXEAA5QWs
It's been a big ouch across the entire market.
These are bargain prices. I did my shopping the last 2 weeks. Only wish I had more dry powder.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Duh.

Cost me $89 to fill up my tank yesterday or the day before. That's gonna put a lot of folks on the path to an EV.
Most people can't afford them. How many people in Newark, Camden, Elizabeth, etc. can afford them? How about people living in apartments? I really don't think most companies who manage these properties are going to spend millions to put in charging stations at each parking spot or in a renter's garage. Once Brandon is gone things will get back to normal.

Most people can't afford them. How many people in Newark, Camden, Elizabeth, etc. can afford them? How about people living in apartments? I really don't think most companies who manage these properties are going to spend millions to put in charging stations at each parking spot or in a renter's garage. Once Brandon is gone things will get back to normal.
People in condos and apartments will need to await some infrastructure.

And not to get political, but nothing changed with the last 10 presidents, including the current one. So I don't see anything changing for the next 10. There is no such thing as "normal".

People in condos and apartments will need to await some infrastructure.

And not to get political, but nothing changed with the last 10 presidents, including the current one. So I don't see anything changing for the next 10. There is no such thing as "normal".
No, that is not true. It is "normal" for our public servants to screw everything up. If things are "not normal" it means they did something right.

No, that is not true. It is "normal" for our public servants to screw everything up. If things are "not normal" it means they did something right.
IMO, above the local level, it's no longer possible for any politicians, no matter how well intentioned, to not screw stuff up. Not sure it ever was possible, which is probably how we wound up here, over time.

But this is veering off into CE board territory.

Reactions: goru1869
Musk is the luckiest SOB. Sold his stock to buy TWTR and saved himself a boat load of money. Plus, TWTR deal didn’t close otherwise, he would’ve had margin calls on his loan against his remaining shares.
Mr. Clickbait at it again.
This will effect Tesla's execution by........???

It doesn’t impact Tesla the company but the stock price is a different story. Guess S&P agrees with me on ESG for Tesla. Great on E but bad on S and G.
Didn't think so. If I cared about short term hysteria, I wouldn't be a Tesla investor. Do you have the self awareness to realize that your clickbait posts never amount to anything material?

LOL...yeah, ESG has Exxon in their top 10 and added 6 fossil fuel producers. Really reliable metric. No corruption at all. Maybe Tesla should spill millions of gallons of crude oil in the ocean or falsify climate data to earn a higher score.

Since you agree with the rating, please explain how Tesla is underperforming on social and governance compared to others within the index. How about this one: "Tesla lacks a low carbon strategy" (but apparently Exxon doesn't). I'd love to hear your take.

Last edited:
Didn't think so. If I cared about short term hysteria, I wouldn't be a Tesla investor. Do you have the self awareness to realize that your clickbait posts never amount to anything material?

LOL...yeah, ESG has Exxon in their top 10 and added 6 fossil fuel producers. Really reliable metric. No corruption at all. Maybe Tesla should spill millions of gallons of crude oil in the ocean or falsify climate data to earn a higher score.

Since you agree with the rating, please explain how Tesla is underperforming on social and governance compared to others within the index. How about this one: "Tesla lacks a low carbon strategy" (but apparently Exxon doesn't). I'd love to hear your take.
My posts don’t have to materialize because it’s just for fun. I’m not here pumping anything other than the facts. ESG is 3 parts. When you get a F for S and G, the A on E can’t balance it out. I also wonder why Musk keeps tweeting to all the bots on TWTR.

This is just total hysteria and a waste of money. Modern diesel vehicles with a diesel particulate filter, selective catalytic reduction systems and that use idle reduction do not emit huge quantities of particulate. Studies have shown modern diesel engines reduce emissions and particulate by 90-94% over older diesel engines.

But we get this hysteria:

"For New Jersey parents worried about the effects the diesel fumes belched out of yellow school buses will have on their children's health, some relief could be on the way."

At what cost?

"Diesel-run school buses cost around $100,000; electric school buses, without charging stations, cost more than $300,000. Chargers can cost $10,000 to $50,000."

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
This is just total hysteria and a waste of money. Modern diesel vehicles with a diesel particulate filter, selective catalytic reduction systems and that use idle reduction do not emit huge quantities of particulate. Studies have shown modern diesel engines reduce emissions and particulate by 90-94% over older diesel engines.

"For New Jersey parents worried about the effects the diesel fumes belched out of yellow school buses will have on their children's health, some relief could be on the way."

At what cost?

"Diesel-run school buses cost around $100,000; electric school buses, without charging stations, cost more than $300,000. Chargers can cost $10,000 to $50,000."

The whole thing is a joke! Ask California about the blackouts coming their way this summer because of EV's needing to be charged. LOL

The whole thing is a joke! Ask California about the blackouts coming their way this summer because of EV's needing to be charged. LOL
Lol, come on. These blackouts have been going on for over 20 years. Agree we need more infrastructure but these two aren’t related

Lol, come on. These blackouts have been going on for over 20 years. Agree we need more infrastructure but these two aren’t related
I read an article yesterday that said this year they will be related more than in recent years. The country needs a few decades b4 we would be ready for this.

At what cost?

Considering the $Trillions our government just pissed away on Covid relief and tanking the economy, this initiative could have actually done some good.
If there's an option between my kids breathing some diesel fumes and zero, I'll take zero. Globally, millions die each year due to pollution related illnesses. Big oil has ensured we rarely hear about it.

At what cost?

Wouldn't call it hysteria. School bussing is an area where electric makes a lot of sense - fixed routes of limited distance traveling throughout town. And they can charge between morning and afternoon.

Not the most concerning health hazard, maybe, but not breathing in the fumes of 15 buses idling is certainly better than sucking 'em down five days a week. These e buses are already out there and will only be expanding in footprint.

"Clean" diesel is dead in the water, thanks to zee Germanz.

Close my eyes for a second and I can literally taste school bus diesel from when I was 13.

Considering the $Trillions our government just pissed away on Covid relief and tanking the economy, this initiative could have actually done some good.
If there's an option between my kids breathing some diesel fumes and zero, I'll take zero. Globally, millions die each year due to pollution related illnesses. Big oil has ensured we rarely hear about it.
The amount of time buses are running during the day and considering they are idle 4-5 months per year, I respectfully disagree. A bigger threat to children are the dietary guidelines (MyPlate) and the crap (it's not food) that is served in school cafeterias and in vending machines. Sorry for the digress on electric vehicles.

Back to the electric buses--IMO, the cost/benefit is way out of line. We would be better served converting buses to being LPG powered to reduce at least particulate. We can agree to disagree here.

Its called "thinning out the herd". Less people we have to worry about starving to death because of a possible food shortage. Stop with the fearmongering.

Yet you are still alive!!!! Yeah, correlation does not equal causation --or something like that.

I don't believe anyone, including the article author, was arguing we were all going to die. But I'm all for cutting out localized air pollution in ways it makes sense.

Fwiw, despite being a beautiful mountain landscape, we have some of the worst air quality in the country. Inversion days throughout winter on which the gov, in a notoriously conservative state, advises people not to spend time outdoors, schools keep children in from recess and no-burn ordinances go into effect.

Bring on less tailpipe emissions.

Well I read an article too! 😂 This one said that said they can possibly be part of the solution.
Is this what we want? Should we have to rely on our cars to power our homes because of a storm, etc? And what happens if the power stays out for days or weeks. People who used their cars to power their homes might be out of juice in both.

At what cost?

Could solve the whole problem AND cut our local taxes by just selling all the kids to China or wherever. I am a problem solver.

Could solve the whole problem AND cut our local taxes by just selling all the kids to China or wherever. I am a problem solver.
will there be a volume discount? and if they get sent there, will they work at the tesla and other battery factories for pennies on the dollar and make EV's cheaper around the world?

Reactions: mildone
will there be a volume discount? and if they get sent there, will they work at the tesla and other battery factories for pennies on the dollar and make EV's cheaper around the world?
My kids are too old to worry about riding school buses or being sold. So I'm neutral on the details.

Just think, if we sell all the kids, we can also fire all the teachers and support staff and shut down all the school buildings. We can sell the diesel buses to other nations as well.

The tax savings, between not having to purchase new EV school buses and all the associated infrastructure costs, plus getting rid of the entire education system (public and private), would be YUGE. Who needs primary education anyway? People can be home-schooled. Real private education.

While we're engaged in consideration of all the tax savings, we might as well do away with all the police departments and fire departments.

If we sell all the wives to China (and yes, this is a massively sexist post), then we can close down all the malls. We're talking massive energy savings here. Massive.

I'm all about solutions to what ails people.

The idea that diesel emissions are bad for human health isn't in doubt. Why would you post this?
Why wouldn't you read what I post first? Try calming down and weighing costs vs benefits. Have you noticed the economy is tanking and inflation is our of control? Spending an extra $250,00 per school bus hardly seems.like a prudent use of money considering the miniscule benefits.

Speaking of Hyundai....

Genesis GV60 looks like a nice contender. $52K and change (after fed credit) for the standard AWD model loaded with all driver tech features, facial entry, fingerprint start, HUD, Bang & Olufsen stereo and bunch of other stuff. 250 miles claimed, 314 hp. Plus Hyundai's 800-V ultra-fast multicharging.

NJ is one of four states to get it at launch, though doesn't sound like there'll be many available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT