ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ELI MANNING BENCHED

Eli's streak is ended in favor of.....Geno Smith?

“Streak”? He’s in 2nd and will NEVER catch Favre anyway..,

...as a huge Giants AND Eli fan I have zero issue with him sitting NOW instead of, what, 2 games from now? So what?

The Giants just look and feel like...well, the jets! That's the worst insult I could hurl at them...what an impressive fall

Reactions: Kbee3
I would have felt better if they decided to play Webb and said they needed to see if he could play to help them to decide whether to take a QB in next year's draft. But to say you're starting Geno because he gives you a better chance to win is a crock. They must think their fan base are morons.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
I would have felt better if they decided to play Webb and said they needed to see if he could play to help them to decide whether to take a QB in next year's draft. But to say you're starting Geno because he gives you a better chance to win is a crock. They must thing their fan base are morons.

This is really pissing me off. It is enough to watch them screw up every draft for years but to bench the guy who has bleed for you for years while you completely ignored the glaring issues on the line for Geno Smith????

I think I am just done with the giants, I don't care if they lose (everyone but billichek has down years) but to abandon everything that made the franchise great is another thing.

Sad - someday Eli was going to move on but I always figured that the Giants would find a way to do it with class and dignity - well this sure is not any sort of way that could be described as "class" - this is pretty much of a dick move - to see what we have in Gino Smith? Seriously? you honestly are bewildered as to what you have in Gino Smith? You have to be a total imbecile not to know what you have.

Reactions: daneman100
Giants are playing Geno rather than Webb because they are ready to move on from Eli but want to avoid a total disaster like Buffalo went through two weeks ago when Peterson threw 5 picks. I also don’t think it’s impossible the Giants really want to see what they have in Geno. I think he stinks but there are some around the league that believe he has talent and was never really given a chance with the Jets. I could see the Giants draft a QB and still bring back Geno to fill in until the kid (Webb or rookie) is ready.

Either way, Giants are going to be terrible again next year. Eli is obviously gone and he counts $22 million against the cap whether he stays or goes. That defense will have to take some hits if the Giants want to spend to rebuild the OL.

Reactions: RUfubar
Can hear the singing already..... "Good bye Ben" to the tune of "Goodbye Allie"

- but the real "twin" for McAdoo is likely Ray Hanley - and there is a chance that if McAdoo only wins one more game & is then fired - they will finish with identical career Giants coaching W-L records 14 - 18 ugh! pretty bad - but almost could get another year except for the numerous inept blunders that simply vanquish any reason to continue the misery.

NY Giants are the only team in the NFL to not start an African-american QB. I hope this is not Jerry Reese's "kneel during the Anthem" moment before he gets shown the door.

Reactions: MorrisAsh
Tiki Barber must be happy to finally give up his throne.

I'm embarrassed to be a Giants fan right now.

The only time I lost respect for the Giants was when the fans broke out with ice balls and knocked out some San Diego Charger staff. But you expect that from fans now and then. Its crazier to see Giants owners, coach and GM decide to go suicidal.

Epic...

McAdoo and Reese are such P'sOS. And wussie Mara enables them.

They not only suck, but I don't even like the franchise any more. Listened to first Giants game as a child in 1969...

Complete and utter disgrace. I want to apologize to Ray Handley, McAdoo is a 1000x times worse. #ImwithEli

We haven't seen Geno in a while. Maybe he's improved. I don't see this as such a big deal. Shake things up a little and let's see what Geno can bring. At 2-9 what do you have to lose ? I heard Mike Francesa going off yesterday. It reminded me of his Joe Torre/ Buck Showalter soliloquy back in '95. We know how that turned out

Last edited:
Guys....enough with the pity party and the false narrative. Eli wasn't benched. He would have continued to start and no one disputes he's the best QB on the team.

But with the season basically over and little to play for, it also makes good sense for the Giants to give the other QBs some game reps to see if they're worth holding onto in the future. Geno becomes a free agent after the season. That's all this was supposed to be. A trial run for the backup in the last games of the year. Any other team would have done the same.

But that wasn't good enough for Eli....he was selfish, didn't care about the team's best interest...and took his ball and went home.

The Giants didn't bench him...he basically quit the team on his own and threw management under the bus spinning this as a benching.

incredulous.gif

We haven't seen Geno in a while. Maybe he's improved. I don't see this as such a big deal. Shake things up a little and let's see what Geno can bring. At 2-9 what do you have to lose ? I heard Mike Francesa going off yesterday. It reminded me of his Joe Torre/ Buck Showalter soliloquy back in '95. We know how that turned out
If you look at just Eli's play then it's not such a big deal. But if you look at all the stuff surrounding it is a big deal. Eli is a legend being benched by a guy who probably won't have a job next year.

Why is shelby still even posting...he does nothing but troll at all times...and even if he was serious, wtf is he talking about....last game? it is midway through the season? And I am not even a Giants or NFL fan.

Reactions: RUsSKii
05..benched how ? by giving some second half snaps to a guy to test if he's worth re-signing as a backup for your 37 yo QB next year ?

That's not being benched. It was Eli's decision not to play.

Why is shelby still even posting...he does nothing but troll at all times...and even if he was serious, wtf is he talking about....last game? it is midway through the season? And I am not even a Giants or NFL fan.
OP said "last games." It's well past midway at this point, and even more so (not mathematically, obviously) when you're 2-9.

The Giants want to give the two backups some second half game reps for future planning, especially to GS to see if he's worth re-signing as a backup .

It was Eli's decision to not play. The Giants didn't bench him.

Hey genius, put an "OT:" before the title for drivel threads like this!

If you look at just Eli's play then it's not such a big deal. But if you look at all the stuff surrounding it is a big deal. Eli is a legend being benched by a guy who probably won't have a job next year.

The NYG are have been heading for a full meltdown such as I've never seen from them - and I saw the 70s. Eli was one of the only remaining stabilizing factors left if not the only one. Being in a rush to "try out" a rookie QB doesn't sound legit. Its not like he was an Andrew luck. He's a third rounder who had to transfer out of Texas Tech to get playing time. With no blocking or WRs - why throw a rookie into that while under the cloud of benching Eli? Besides that, new QBs can look ok the first weeks before teams figure them out. That's how Jets got stuck with Pennigton. He did great as a fill-in until teams saw he couldn't throw past 25 yds. If Webb does good you're going to pass on a Darnold or Rosen? Even Andrew Luck never could do much after Colts rushed Peyton Manning out the door.

05..benched how ? by giving some second half snaps to a guy to test if he's worth re-signing as a backup for your 37 yo QB next year ?

That's not being benched. It was Eli's decision not to play.
They were going to split time, Geno was not going to be given "some" 2nd half snaps. Geno was going to get substantial time. Webb was going to play, probably a fair amount as well. Eli was going to be the starter in name only.

So Eli could have kept the streak going, at which point it becomes a sham, or he could, like he always has, take the high road, and step aside.

Eli's class way of handling this is further evidence of the Giants organization losing their was as a class organization.

I feel like this is the Giant's contribution to this league just completely turning off their fan base.

Granted Odell acting like a dog taking a leak on the field was a nice contribution as well (an act McAdoo seemed to have no issue with) but this one really has me questioning how much I want to watch this team.

ashokan...they need to make a decision now on whether to re-sign Smith as a backup or let him go and have Webb be the backup going forward...either for Eli or a 1st Round QB pick next year.

The Giants tried to do this the right way but Eli didn't want to start and play in this scenario.

Also, Pennington was a perfectly good QB for the Jets. Not a great player, but definitely top half in the league.

And Troy Aikman transferred to get playing time (OU switched systems while he was there). How did that work out ?

05-I don't believe that's accurate. Reports I heard was the others were to get reps later in the games, which is why the Giants needed to do this with so many games left...to ensure enough snaps for each before the end of the season to give the Giants enough to go on.

I agree that if it was to be just an obvious sham and a series or two only to keep the streak alive, then yes Eli should decline.

Regardless...how would you handle it ? The Giants want to assess their QB depth

Last edited:
ashokan...they need to make a decision now on whether to re-sign Smith as a backup or let him go and have Webb be the backup going forward...either for Eli or a 1st Round QB pick next year.

The Giants tried to do this the right way but Eli didn't want to start and play in this scenario.

Also, Pennington was a perfectly good QB for the Jets. Not a great player, but definitely top half in the league.

And Troy Aikman transferred to get playing time (OU switched systems while he was there). How did that work out ?

05-I don't believe that's accurate. Reports I heard was the others were to get reps later in the games, which is why the Giants needed to do this with so many games left...to ensure enough snaps for each before the end of the season to give the Giants enough to go on.

I agree that if it was to be just an obvious sham and a series or two only to keep the streak alive, then yes Eli should decline.

Regardless...how would you handle it ? The Giants want to assess their QB depth
You don't take a dump on a franchise legend in order to evaluate a potential backup.

Reactions: RUsSKii
They were going to split time, Geno was not going to be given "some" 2nd half snaps. Geno was going to get substantial time. Webb was going to play, probably a fair amount as well. Eli was going to be the starter in name only.

So Eli could have kept the streak going, at which point it becomes a sham, or he could, like he always has, take the high road, and step aside.

Eli's class way of handling this is further evidence of the Giants organization losing their was as a class organization.

EXACTLY - the plan that was laid out for Eli was he would get to start to continue the string - but at - say - half time or maybe even before - it would become Gino's game - Eli would not stay in to try to get the win -
So if it even Eli is clicking and it was Giants up 14-10 at the half - Eli sits and it becomes Gino's game to win or lose - that is how the whole thing shapes up to be a sham - basically it gets played like a preseason game - and playing to win a regular season is not the first priority.

This is sort of not a surprise - McAddo has from the outset - seemed to be like the kind of person who felt compelled to dispense with the old icons in order to put his on stamp on things - even if it isn't really a value-added move - and he has been fixated on doing it for some time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT