ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Emergency Food - what's your preference?

I don't know how I missed this thread. Must have been hiding under bed that week from the virus. I don't recall us doing any stocking up on provisions either. We usually have enough dried (nuts, etc) and canned foods (mostly tuna) in our pantry to last at least a month.
Ahhh but did you have enough for the bunker you were supposed to build?

Ya know you guys are totally missing the point, right?

McDonalds, et al, will be the first thing to go away if the fed decides to implement biological containment procedures.
Biological containment procedures really got out of hand

Did they though?
I literally went to Dunkin' every day of the pandemic for coffee.
Guess it depends on how much you let the biological containment procedures effect you.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Great. Now I'm craving a couple double-quarter-pounders with cheese, a couple large fries, and a couple apple pies.

Reactions: Scarlet1984

Didn't hear about this until now, brings back memories of the one that hit in the northeast 25 years ago this past Dec/Jan. I think that one was far worse as it affected a wider area. I always remember it because it delayed shipment of my SS for 2+ months due to it being built up in St Therese. The storm wreaked havoc on a lot of the rail lines up there, causing major disruptions to distribution schedules.

Did you see how fast they did the total gut job on the one in Wall on 35. Soup to nuts including a new parking lot and landscaping.

Could not believe how fast it went. Bing bang boom…Big Mac is back.🤷‍♂️
very good words. IIRC, there was a gas leak there during construction. No boom though.

Have not eaten at McD's in probably over 20 years. Seems most places have done away with the playgrounds.

There's water in a lot of places naturally. Just needs to be filtered. Maybe not in Newark but the rural parts of NJ you can get by.
There's filtering and purifying. Go to WM and get a Sawyer Squeeze water filter. Good for thousands of gallons. For extremes, use a two-part chem purifier such as Aquamira. Last resort, boil the water for five minutes.

Reactions: RUScrew85
very good words. IIRC, there was a gas leak there during construction. No boom though.

Have not eaten at McD's in probably over 20 years. Seems most places have done away with the playgrounds.
This one I believe still has theirs. Think it was advertised as such.

Have not eaten at McD's in probably over 20 years.

XuaghGN.png

Was on a similar streak until I was in a bind 2 years ago and had to grab a breakfast sandwich from one before hitting the slopes. Promptly blew my drawers clean off after one run.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
There's filtering and purifying. Go to WM and get a Sawyer Squeeze water filter. Good for thousands of gallons. For extremes, use a two-part chem purifier such as Aquamira. Last resort, boil the water for five minutes.
What do you do out on the AT? I know prevailing wisdom is you don't need virus purification domestically, but I'd be inclined to just throw a tab in anyway.

Just stocking up on things we usually eat anyway, like rice, beans, juices, dried/preserved meats, etc. Also have stocked up the freezer with meat and frozen veggies/fruit. Sure that stuff won't last if the grid goes down, but if things get bad we'll probably use a lot of it before it gets to that point.

I've resisted the idea of getting a gun for home defense (and maybe hunting if it comes to that) but am seriously reconsidering. There was a long thread about home defense weapon options at some point, but I haven't been able to find it. Anyone have a link? I know there are quite a few here with a lot of knowledge/experience in this area.
Edit: realized I again responded to an old thread that had been resurrected. Apropos on Easter I guess. 😂

The best options are the ones that YOU are most comfortable with. Not sure what experience you have had so hard to say.

Best bet is to get with a friend or family member that has experience with firearms and try things out. If you don't have anyone I will guarantee there is a gun club of some sort near you. They will point you in the right direction as far as training and buying. You'll find that most folks will be very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
TBH, I really really like my Mossberg .410.

Shotguns are anti-personnel weapons. My old mentor was fond of saying, "Shotguns have one application in the real world, and that's conference rooms." Anyway, the .410 has excellent lethality inside of 20', it's really easy to handle and you get twice as much ammo in the same footprint as 12 ga. ammo. It also, rather perversely, has an 18" barrel, flash suppressor and pistol-grip fore-end.
I love the old Mossbergs. I have both the 12 and 20 gauge 3 shot bolt action models, most are pumps now. The 20 is a great small game hunting gun (birds, rabbits, squirrels etc.). It's the gun I used for my shooting test when I was 10. The 12 is mostly used for shooting bottles etc. and being there if a problem arises in a small area.
We have a 2 shot .410 pretty handy in case of emergency.
Anything loud will cool the Jets of your average shit bird without having to take them out. Sometimes just the distinct click will send them on their way.

So keeping in mind that I've never fired a gun other than a pellet gun...

The arguments provided against the shotgun by the person at the gun store were (1) too loud, and (2) muzzle flash too bright and claims a PC carbine isn't as bad in those areas. Is that true? I would think it depends on what type of shotgun shell (12 or 20). But it sounds like shotguns are more reliable, easier to use, less likely to jam/fail and what really matters in an emergency is that it works.

Ultimately I guess if it comes down to using any kind of weapon inside your house, the impact on hearing maybe isn't all that important but as I noted, I have no experience to go by.
Start by trying smaller caliber rifles and handguns. As your comfort level improves you can graduate to more powerful. Your confidence in your ability is the most important part.

I don't know what conversation led to that advice about shotguns but I will tell you that firing ANY weapon bigger than a .22 in a dark quiet room is gonna be a big flash and a loud boom (with no ear protection) ,scary AF for all involved. Including the shooter.

This is why training and practice is the most important part of firearms ownership. Being able to operate them safely and remaining calm even when under stress doesn't happen by accident.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Did you see how fast they did the total gut job on the one in Wall on 35. Soup to nuts including a new parking lot and landscaping.

Could not believe how fast it went. Bing bang boom…Big Mac is back.🤷‍♂️
Guessing that must be one profitable store.. cannot have it down for long.

Anything loud will cool the Jets of your average shit bird without having to take them out. Sometimes just the distinct click will send them on their way.
My Mossberg actually came with a video explaining this very phenomenon. "Frequently, the sound of the pump action of your new Mossberg shotgun is sufficient to send the bad guys running for cover."

It's one of the reasons why one of my favorite rifles is the ol' trusty Marlin 1891 lever-action.

That and the fact that you can twirl it around all cool, like Chuck Conners in "The Rifleman".

What do you do out on the AT? I know prevailing wisdom is you don't need virus purification domestically, but I'd be inclined to just throw a tab in anyway.
Getting back on the AT in May, Harper's Ferry to the NJ border. Water sources vary in quality, but I always use the Sawyer Squeeze filter on all above ground sources and even springs. Where there's evidence of heavy animal and hiker "activity," I'll either skip that source or treat it with the two-part Aquamira drops if desperate.

Reactions: m1ipabrams and fsg2
Start by trying smaller caliber rifles and handguns. As your comfort level improves you can graduate to more powerful. Your confidence in your ability is the most important part.

I don't know what conversation led to that advice about shotguns but I will tell you that firing ANY weapon bigger than a .22 in a dark quiet room is gonna be a big flash and a loud boom (with no ear protection) ,scary AF for all involved. Including the shooter.

This is why training and practice is the most important part of firearms ownership. Being able to operate them safely and remaining calm even when under stress doesn't happen by accident.
Sound advice. Practice practice and more practice. Use ear and eye protection. As for a home defense weapon, a 20-gauge short-barrel pump with #4 buckshot is ideal to start with, and finish with for that matter. Very effective stopping power, lightweight and maneuverable.

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
Guessing that must be one profitable store.. cannot have it down for long.
Have to ask my boys but it might be 24hrs.

And guessing it was a crew, a whole crew, that specializes in this type of job. As none of the subs were local.

Sound advice. Practice practice and more practice. Use ear and eye protection. As for a home defense weapon, a 20-gauge short-barrel pump with #4 buckshot is ideal to start with, and finish with for that matter. Very effective stopping power, lightweight and maneuverable.

Ah, what a trip down memory lane!

The above is the route I wound up going. By the time I purchased the shotgun, there was of course no buckshot to be found anywhere, though I managed to scrounge up a couple of boxes along the way.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT