OT: Facebook Post from Cristina Higgins in Italy

Current Flu Season in America from October 2019 to March 2020:
45 million infections
46,000 deaths

Everyday life normal

Current Covid-19 Season in America from January 2020 to March 2020

1281 infections
36 deaths

SHUT IT ALL DOWN AND BUY TOILET PAPER!!!!!
How many Coronavirus cases & deaths in a normal year in the USA?

I get it now, you suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome. It all makes sense now. No need to waste my energy on someone so fragile they can't even acknowledge our country's own president.
Oh he is the President. And I am a Republican. I was also in the mortgage bond business for 30 years. Trump only cares about his wallet. I'm not fragile at all. And I laugh at the lemmings

This is obviously a Democratic plot to overthrow King Trump! Or a ploy by the paper companies to corner the market on toilet paper and cause the price to skyrocket. Soon we will be paying $15/roll of single ply!!! Double ply will be going for >$40/per roll. And triple ply.........forget about it!

What the "just the flu" people don't get is it is not about deaths. It is about overwhelming the health care system. We need to flatten the curve or our healthcare system will crash, hurting all people that need to go the hospital.

Simply put, we don't have enough hospital beds to accommodate a major pandemic. Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN was just talking about transforming Jacob Javits Center into a hospital ward. Scary Stuff.

Tom Hanks, living in Australia, just announced he has coronavirus.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I'm not saying Covid-19 is not a deadly virus. But you're really not seeing how this is mass panic and hysteria? H1N1 killed 17,000 Americans in 2009. Were you this scared then?
And how many will this kill? Do you have a crystal ball? We are in the beginning stage of this. Your stupidity is mind boggling.

Bad math. The stupidy is outstanding! It isn't current cases versus deaths. It's cured cases vs deaths. I don't know why anyone can't understand the difference other then inbreeding.

How do you tally the cured cases, when some may not even show symptoms?

Reactions: Spare130
I get that, exactly...I'm just pointing out that we may never know the numbers infected to try and compare to flu
Do you think all flu cases are documented? Basically the same will happen here. Only those getting treated and tested are counted.

Do you think all flu cases are documented? Basically the same will happen here. Only those getting treated and tested are counted.

I think we may be stating the same thing.
No, I don't think everyone is tested for flu...even the 45M pointed out above probably are not tested (positively) but perhaps just diagnosed.
Are you comparing COVID-19 to flu?...I'm not...just pointing out that the number of cases for both are unknown...just the deaths are tested and confirmed positively

I think we may be stating the same thing.
No, I don't think everyone is tested for flu...even the 45M pointed out above probably are not tested (positively) but perhaps just diagnosed.
Are you comparing COVID-19 to flu?...I'm not...just pointing out that the number of cases for both are unknown...just the deaths are tested and confirmed positively
I'm not either. Actually those that do are completely stupid.

the point of the post was to say it COULD be as bad here as it is in Italy, if preventative measures aren’t taken, which is why social distancing was recommended.[/QUOTE.
While we may not get it as bad as Italy, and I'm not sure why that matters, this virus is a serious threat to public health. Cases skyrocketed from what seemed like less than some hundred to 1,281 cases today, with 38 deaths.
We understand rutgersal...Italy has the highest number or should I say oldest populations in the world...based upon their cultural norms ( hugging, kissing, living in much closer communities in general certainly doesn’t help keep them safer from infection...also Italy’s health system is not as good as the USA... so if we’re in trouble here they and other countries are in more danger during a pandemic... What is scary shit is China could at anytime hold us hostage on meds ...especially 125 antiviral items which are produced there... what and or who is to blame on that...the past past three administrations prior to Trump really screwed the pooch on that...time for this nation to make all our pharmaceuticals here...along with many , many,many other items ... it can be done and should be done quickly ...

Italy has the world’s oldest population with the highest
The former US Surgeon General was just on CNN, saying that we have 100K hospital beds in the US. If the pandemic is moderate, the demand for beds could exceed 200K beds, replicating what is being seen in Italy.

Dr. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warns that the number of cases of the COVID-19 viral disease will continue to grow because containment measures and contact tracing have failed to prevent community spread of the virus.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...in-u-s-and-it-s-going-to-get-worse-fauci-says

Yascha Mounk, a professor at Johns Hopkins, basically called from the same thing in the Facebook post, in his article in the Atlantic, calling for Social Distancing, which is why people won't be attending tournaments.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/.

Just like the flu.

That's incorrect. Whatever this is, its roughly twice as likely to spread as the flu, it appears to live outside its host much longer than the flu and its mortality rate is multiple times that of the flu. Either this thing hits hard and hopefully abates quickly, or you ain't seen nothing yet.

Reactions: RURM85 and fsg2
Yeah, was being sarcastic since OP is not anything like a flu situation.

Current Covid-19 Season in America from January 2020 to March 2020

1281 infections
36 deaths

SHUT IT ALL DOWN AND BUY TOILET PAPER!!!!!

Right??? this is insanity now
While I think some of the reactions are over the top, there are probably 100 times more infections in the US than have been reported. And its going to get worse. I suspect more than 90 % of America will eventually be exposed to the virus. Its basically impossible to contain with a long incubation period and many people being asymptomatic yet possibly still spreading it.

I think I am ok compared to most people. I have watched every Walking Dead episode at least three times. Know how to use every weapon out there. Working on a bayonet that shoots bullets and fire. If any of you have one and it is red, let me know.

I think there are going to be a lot of different factors that we mostly don’t know yet. For example, why does it also appear to be so severe in Iran?

My point was, though, that things like the OP implying you can just expect the same thing to happen everywhere the way it is happening in Italy isn’t realistic.

Why is it severe in Iran? Perhaps the practice of licking religious shrines has something to do with it. Once this story went viral, Iran claimed people who did this could face 2 years in jail and 74 lashes. People are contagious before they exhibit symptoms, so the disease could have spread by seemingly healthy people more readily there.

I think I am ok compared to most people. I have watched every Walking Dead episode at least three times. Know how to use every weapon out there. Working on a bayonet that shoots bullets and fire. If any of you have one and it is red, let me know.

looking at this current situation to gauge what the reaction will be if we actually had a more dangerous threat - the battle for resources could get crazy.
That’s what happens when there is no trust in a society - and there is no trust because the society is built on money and consumption.

What the "just the flu" people don't get is it is not about deaths. It is about overwhelming the health care system. We need to flatten the curve or our healthcare system will crash, hurting all people that need to go the hospital.

Yes, “just like the flu” is something a very low IQ individual would say.

I did like the OP/post. Humanizes it s bit. Who cares how verified it is? This is what is happening there and the tend points toward that here.

What hadn’t occurred to me (healthy guy, late 50’s) is that NOW people like me survive like 100% but some of them go to the ICU. That probably won’t be an option in a few months.

This is obviously a Democratic plot to overthrow King Trump! Or a ploy by the paper companies to corner the market on toilet paper and cause the price to skyrocket. Soon we will be paying $15/roll of single ply!!! Double ply will be going for >$40/per roll. And triple ply.........forget about it!

You may be on to something as all the paper towels in addition to the toilet paper were sold out before noon yesterday at the Wayne Costco. So obviously people are resorting to paper towels to compensate for the lack of TP.

People implying that the US is going to get just as bad as Italy are ignoring that:
  • Italy has a very old population (second highest to Japan)
  • Italy has a rate of smoking that is 50% higher than the US, and there are signs that smoking is something that increases the chances of the virus affecting the lungs
  • as bad as the hygiene can be for some people in the US, it isn't customary to greet people by kissing them on the cheek (which is a very likely way to spread the virus) as it is in Italy
I'm not saying that things aren't going to get worse here, but Italy is kind of a perfect storm of bad things that help a virus take hold.

Back when you could tell ethnic jokes without ppl getting offended, Italian jokes always revolved around them being dirty.

The NBA just suspended their season. One of the Utah players just tested positive. Hysteria?? Damn you are so stupid.
Figures you would cite an NBA player as if he was something of significance. They are all flesh and blood just like you and the rest on here.The reason this virus has garnered as much ink as it has is because of where it started... how out of touch their ( henchmen ) leaders were... then had 5 million of their Wuhan citizens still travel around the globe. The rest of modern civilization was naive , unaware and knew very little about this new COVID virus.Why was that ? A communist country which tightly controls all of what goes on and what free speech is allowed. Ask that dead doctor who first questioned this disease. I love how you say” I am a Republican” yada yada... this isn’t a political issue but the mass media in 2020 and both major parties certainly have acted as if it is. Yes , people will get sick and sadly some will pass. This too will end and another disease will pop up. It is called Life and we as a people , country and our World need to get it together.

Figures you would cite an NBA player as if he was something of significance. They are all flesh and blood just like you and the rest on here.The reason this virus has garnered as much ink as it has is because of where it started... how out of touch their ( henchmen ) leaders were... then had 5 million of their Wuhan citizens still travel around the globe. The rest of modern civilization was naive , unaware and knew very little about this new COVID virus.Why was that ? A communist country which tightly controls all of what goes on and what free speech is allowed. Ask that dead doctor who first questioned this disease. I love how you say” I am a Republican” yada yada... this isn’t a political issue but the mass media in 2020 and both major parties certainly have acted as if it is. Yes , people will get sick and sadly some will pass. This too will end and another disease will pop up. It is called Life and we as a people , country and our World need to get it together.
All this talk about only old people get it. An NBA healthy player 27 years old has the virus and symptoms and shuts down a $10 billion annual business and that isn't significant to post???

With your cavalier attitude, many of us would wind up dead.

it's important that every available precaution be taken to minimize the spread of this illness. these are reasons, why we should be cautious:

1. There is no immunity as no one has been exposed to the virus before
2. The numbers are understated, as there are not enough test kits available, and it takes days to get the results back; Cases could skyrocket overnight once people are adequately tested.
3. There is no vaccine, though Gilead Pharmaceuticals is working on one, which hopefully will be available within a year
4. The health system will not be able to accomodate all the cases if this winds up affecting the US significantly. There are simply not enough hospital beds. Doctors will have to decide who gets treated and who doesn't on the fly. Buildings like Jacob Javits and maybe even the RAC, might have to become hospital wards.
5. There are people who have it, that don't know it, which is why they easily spread it
6. Young people get it, but they seem to fare better against it. A 32 year old physician assistant is currently at Hackensack Medical Center being treated.
7. For many elderly who have pre-existing conditions, the virus will prove to be fatal

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/new-j...nt-thinks-he-caught-it-at-times-square-hotel/

Simply put, we don't have enough hospital beds to accommodate a major pandemic. Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN was just talking about transforming Jacob Javits Center into a hospital ward. Scary Stuff.

Tom Hanks, living in Australia, just announced he has coronavirus.

I find it ironic as Hanks is a huge anti-Trump guy and he catches this in Australia.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
People implying that the US is going to get just as bad as Italy are ignoring that:
  • Italy has a very old population (second highest to Japan)
  • Italy has a rate of smoking that is 50% higher than the US, and there are signs that smoking is something that increases the chances of the virus affecting the lungs
  • as bad as the hygiene can be for some people in the US, it isn't customary to greet people by kissing them on the cheek (which is a very likely way to spread the virus) as it is in Italy
I'm not saying that things aren't going to get worse here, but Italy is kind of a perfect storm of bad things that help a virus take hold.

Iran has very young population (due to mortality from past wars) and they got hit hard too. There are suspicions Iran and Italy have a deadlier variant of the Corona.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT