ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fantasy Football Situation

Woody522

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2013
So need some people's thoughts on this. A friend of mine and I agreed on a trade sunday morning. The trade was following:

Deandre Hopkins and Brandon Marshall

for

Jordan Howard and Jamison Crowder

Now since I was trading hopkins away, who played his week 2 game already and I knew Howard was coming into the game with a shoulder issue, I clearly stated "This trade will go thru unless someone goes down with an injury". After the game Jordan Howard was in a sling. To me that would indicate some sort of injury. He also didn't play the last 1.5 Quarters.

My friend is arguing that he didn't "go down with an injury" basically because he wasn't carted off or taken off by doctors and claims that down 3 Td's in the 3rd Quarter that the bears just pulled him to be safe.

Would it be unethical to void the agreement?

I would say that constitutes going down with an injury. He scored a goose egg didn't he? He would not have been pulled that early just because of the score.

I would say that constitutes going down with an injury. He scored a goose egg didn't he?

Yes he did, but I am not worried about his 1 game production, its the injury that I am worried about, you don't wear a sling as a fashion trend

I think the only thing relevant is whether he can play going forward, and if not, how much time he will miss. That to me defines if he is injured or not. What he did in yesterday's game is not relevant to you, as he was not your property yet for that game. How hurt he is and whether he can play next week is still unclear at this point. Sounds like there is something going on with the shoulder, but he may not even miss any time. TBD. Therefore, whether he is hurt enough to void the trade via the gentleman's agreement on injury is also unclear. You wouldn't be entirely wrong to do so, but at the same time, I could see how your friend might be annoyed by it as well. IMO, unless it was a long-term injury (at least 4+ weeks), both sides should honor the deal.

Just let your friend get his way and move on.

1 Fantasy football is so over
2 This is the kind of dumb shit that could tarnish a friendship, which is worth a lot more than the results of some children's game

You wanted advice. That's my advice.

I would make the trade and then poop on his doormat. This way you get even and won't leave this crap on the boards.

You knew he had a shoulder injury before. You setup a trade voiding it in the event of a potential injury. He then has the same injury after the game. There is no other potential injury.

Seems pretty simple.

A good reason to not have any trades that don't get processed immediately.

Just let your friend get his way and move on.

1 Fantasy football is so over
2 This is the kind of dumb shit that could tarnish a friendship, which is worth a lot more than the results of some children's game

You wanted advice. That's my advice.

"So over"? It is more popular than ever.

There was a lot of growth - remarkable growth - in the game until 2 years ago when it suddenly flattened out. That isn't yet a death knell, but if it were a TV show, the network execs would be talking about picking up the show for one season at a time at this point.

I still play, but I could give a rats ass about it. I just do it because I hate my money. The people in my league who are ultra competitive with it disgust me. The whole thing feels like a hassle, which I do only as a vehicle to keep in touch with old friends, most of whom come off like real jackasses arguing over fantasy football rules and bugging me about trades that no one would ever make.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
The whole thing feels like a hassle, which I do only as a vehicle to keep in touch with old friends, most of whom come off like real jackasses arguing over fantasy football rules and bugging me about trades that no one would ever make.

The reason I first got into FFL so many years ago was that I found I knew nothing about the NFL players I heard discussed at work.. being more of a college game fan. (example.. being out of FFL 5 years or more now I have no idea who Crowder and Howard are). Like any "game".. I wanted to be an expert ASAP.. and it was fun.

But as some as it became more like a job.. something I "had" to do rather than wanted to do.. I was out. Dilemmas like in this OP let me know I did the right thing. My take.. let friend have his way but make him feel bad about it.. pretend you are the bigger man.

But I have to ask.. did one of your players have a great game and is that the real season you don't want the trade to go through? What were you trying to achieve here?

You knew he had a shoulder injury before. You setup a trade voiding it in the event of a potential injury. He then has the same injury after the game. There is no other potential injury.

Seems pretty simple.

A good reason to not have any trades that don't get processed immediately.

It doesn't matter if its a new injury or not, the point was if someone gets hurt where they can't play next week. If he reaggrevates and old injury or develops a new one doesn't make a difference

If the guy rolled an ankle on first play and still scored 45 would u want it voided? It's the NFL everyone plays hurt, you're trying to hedge your bet.

It doesn't matter if its a new injury or not, the point was if someone gets hurt where they can't play next week. If he reaggrevates and old injury or develops a new one doesn't make a difference
You literally said "goes down with an injury". As in...goes from standing/playing to down/injured. Why did you say that if the injury that you admittedly already knew about didn't concern you enough to not move forward with the trade?

Did you think he could heal an injury by playing? That is the only way his status could have improved to your satisfaction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT