ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fat Sandwich

Allen Funt burger from Hell...

What is in it? You have 10 seconds...

The Original Fat Cat sandwich is not the Fat Darrell. The original "Fat" sandwich was the “Fat Cat” that dates back to 1979 and offered at the “Greaseman” Truck.
I knew it was that particular truck but did not know it went back that far in time?

Didn't Mr. C's have their own line too?

The Original Fat Cat sandwich is not the Fat Darrell. The original "Fat" sandwich was the “Fat Cat” that dates back to 1979 and offered at the “Greaseman” Truck.

bingo...I really dont know why the Fat Darrell gets all the attention and is falsely claimed as the original. That being said I havent had a desire to eat anyone of these sandwiches in over 20 years

If I remember correctly.

Sub roll
2 burger patties
Cheese
Lettuce tomato onion
French fries
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo?
The original Fat Cat did not have fries.

At least the first one I had in '86(?) didn't.

bingo...I really dont know why the Fat Darrell gets all the attention and is falsely claimed as the original....

According to the August 20, 2004 USA Today, the “Fat” phenomenon started in 1997 with student Darrell Butler who had a craving for chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks and french fries but not enough money to pay for it all. He convinced Abdul Eid to cram some of those items along with lettuce, tomato and marinara sauce onto one $4.75 sandwich roll. It was such a hit that the next 15 people in line ordered it. The Fat Darrell was the top seller at the Grease Trucks and in September of 2004, Maxim Magazine named it its #1 sandwich in the country and spawned many “Fat” offshoots.

According to the November 23, 2014 Record of Hackensack, when the New York Knickerbockers defeated the Philadelphia 76ers at Madison Square Garden before 19,812 fans the previous night, “It was New Jersey night… that meant the Princeton Tigetones singing the anthem, a high school coach from the Hun School honored for his work and the Fat Darrell sandwich from the Rutgers grease trucks was for sale at the concession stands.”

The fat cat was on the grease trucks when I was in school in the 80s. Greasy Tony on Eastern was there back in the 50s served Fat Cats and Steward Root Beer in Spotswoods had them when I was a kid in the 70s.

Last time I had a fat sandwich, the grease trucks were still in the parking lot on College Ave. Was there with RU#s and some other friends.

Was a strange night. Some very cute but way too drunk sorority girl, apparently trying to impress her little sisters, decided it would be fun to mess with me while we were all waiting in line. She started out only a little obnoxious, then seemed to take my refusal to engage as a personal insult or something and got really obnoxious. So I engaged just a little, made a few quiet comments.

By the time I was handed my two Fat Darrell's and walking to a table to sit and eat them, she was out of control furious, screaming about kicking my ass. Her sorority sisters and some guy, maybe her boyfriend, literally physically dragged her away back towards the dorms. Could still hear her ranting and cursing half a block away. LOL

I remember thinking how my ex-wife could really commiserate with the poor girl.

Oh the Greasman truck. Had many fast cats in my day. Mr Cs was a rip off and was nowhere near as good.
How dare you diss Mr. C's?!! :>)

Back in the 80s, as a student, I never actually had a fat sandwich - I used to always get cheesesteaks at Mr. C's at all hours of the day/night (unless I was close enough to get one from Greasy Tony's). Not quite a match for the best in Philly/South Jersey, but they did the trick for me.

Didn't have a Fat Cat until the late 90s and the first one I had was the Fat Darrell. Definitely my favorite one still. I miss the Grease Truck lot - was a fun place to get a Fat Cat and chow it down - with often some interesting "live theater" from the late night drunks, lol...

How dare you diss Mr. C's?!! :>)

Back in the 80s, as a student, I never actually had a fat sandwich - I used to always get cheesesteaks at Mr. C's at all hours of the day/night (unless I was close enough to get one from Greasy Tony's). Not quite a match for the best in Philly/South Jersey, but they did the trick for me.

Didn't have a Fat Cat until the late 90s and the first one I had was the Fat Darrell. Definitely my favorite one still. I miss the Grease Truck lot - was a fun place to get a Fat Cat and chow it down - with often some interesting "live theater" from the late night drunks, lol...
Greasy Tony's was so good.

I never had a fat sandwich until like 10 years ago w/you and Mok and the crew. Back then, I never even considered eating food from a grease truck. I stuck with healthy stuff like Greasy Tony's, Willie's Wings (out on commercial Ave till they were closed down), or the System.

Here's a menu that has a bunch of Fat Sandwich descriptions:

http://ruhungrynj.net/menu/
They're wrong on the ingredients of the Original Fat Cat. It might be their version but it's not the version of the Original.
According to the August 20, 2004 USA Today, the “Fat” phenomenon started in 1997 with student Darrell Butler who had a craving for chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks and french fries but not enough money to pay for it all. He convinced Abdul Eid to cram some of those items along with lettuce, tomato and marinara sauce onto one $4.75 sandwich roll. It was such a hit that the next 15 people in line ordered it. The Fat Darrell was the top seller at the Grease Trucks and in September of 2004, Maxim Magazine named it its #1 sandwich in the country and spawned many “Fat” offshoots.
Wrong as well.

Reactions: 17Q66
The original Fat Cat did not have fries.

At least the first one I had in '86(?) didn't.
And that's why I can't understand those questioning why it was the Darrell that is credited for the Fat Sandwich explosion. Even if you include the Fat Cat with fries, there wasn't anything original about putting french fries on a sandwich. How long has Primanti Bros, for one, been doing that?

Throwing chicken fingers, fries, and mozz sticks together on a sandwich seemed much more unique, I'm guessing.

And that's why I can't understand those questioning why it was the Darrell that is credited for the Fat Sandwich explosion. Even if you include the Fat Cat with fries, there wasn't anything original about putting french fries on a sandwich. How long has Primanti Bros, for one, been doing that?

Throwing chicken fingers, fries, and mozz sticks together on a sandwich seemed much more unique, I'm guessing.
Who? Are they in NJ too?

As a kid growing up putting Fries on a sandwich was quite common. It was called Italian- (insert name here)

So Italian Hot Dog was a hotdog with fries (poor man's version of the original one)
Italian Sausage - same as above
Italian Hamburger - same. Plus we used to make our own with fast food.
Italian Cheese Steak - same, just a cheesesteak stuffed with fries.

Mr Cs was for moz sticks.

I had fat cats back in 1987, they were not on a sub roll either to my recollection. But had the things listed above (don't recall fries).

I can't understand the point of putting lettuce and tomato on a fat sandwich. It's like having sugar-free, lowfat ice cream. It just doesn't belong there.

Veggies aren't food. They're what food eats.

That whole fat Darrell thing pisses me off. I had my first fat cat in 1994 (spring). I got it from RU Hungry, from Abdul, who remembers me as "Old School". Abdul was owner of RU Grill on Easton, by the Knight Club.

Additionally..... I preferred the Fat Cat With Egg, Bacon, and Hot Sauce.

Yet Darrell goes out of his way to act "as if" his sandwich was the original.

According to the August 20, 2004 USA Today, the “Fat” phenomenon started in 1997”

This is simply a lie. Yes, Darrell created his "own" FAT sandwich, and then made sure everyone in the world knew about it, but there were FAT sandwiches long before him regardless of what he or any article says. SMH.

I used to eat FAT sandwiches at the trucks, and especially late night at Giovenelli's (I lived on Condict St...), all the time in the EARLY 90's.

Reactions: bac2therac
This is simply a lie. Yes, Darrell created his "own" FAT sandwich, and then made sure everyone in the world knew about it, but there were FAT sandwiches long before him regardless of what he or any article says. SMH.

I used to eat FAT sandwiches at the trucks, and especially late night at Giovenelli's (I lived on Condict St...), all the time in the EARLY 90's.

I am not sure why people can't put two and two together. The name makes no sense unless it was in reference to another fat sandwich!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT