ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Game of Thrones Season 7 Thread

So you admire him then. It's not a fight against good and evil. This isn't Star Wars. They made Jamie and Clegane into good guys, why not LF? Could he be motivated by love? It's a theory.

The only 100% evil main character left is Cersei. Outside of the love for her children she hasn't shown a single ounce of decency in the entire series.
But I did love that ultimate Walk of Shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutHut
Littlefinger is motivated by insecurity and revenge.

He's technically a lord, but comes from modest holdings. He was denied the girl of his dreams. He was continually denied the greatness that he felt entitled to, so he sought it out. Littlefinger is not a noble character.

Varys, on the other hand, is. Remember in the first book it was Varys who told Ned what happened to Jon Arryn, it was Varys who exposed to Ned the plot to kill Robert Baratheon. Varys is, in spite of appearances, a noble character.

It's something of a trick of Martin's narratives that his most noble characters are the ones who seem, outwardly, to not be so. He's telling us that appearances aren't everything.

He's technically a lord, but comes from modest holdings. He was denied the girl of his dreams. He was continually denied the greatness that he felt entitled to, so he sought it out. Littlefinger is not a noble character.

Varys, on the other hand, is. Remember in the first book it was Varys who told Ned what happened to Jon Arryn, it was Varys who exposed to Ned the plot to kill Robert Baratheon. Varys is, in spite of appearances, a noble character.

It's something of a trick of Martin's narratives that his most noble characters are the ones who seem, outwardly, to not be so. He's telling us that appearances aren't everything.
Finally. So Peter is an insecure, jealous guy looking for acceptance and not some evil mastermind. Not enough time for him to transform into anything else.

Well said.. consider The Hound... compared to The Mountain.

And ruthut.. I think you misinterpreted RU4Reals comments... LF can be insecure, etc AND be evil.. using evil tactics and pulling all the strings to make his dreams come true. It doesn't matter WHY he does the things he does.. it matters that he does them and it matters what he does to people.

He is the polar opposite of Ned Stark. It does not matter that Ned married Cat despite NOT loving her.. it was an obligation of honor.. and it does not matter that LF supposedly loved Cat. There is no way he could do to her children what he has done if he actually loved her. I submit to you the idea that LF has no idea what love is... never did, never will. I don't care how he got this way.. the man is shite.

Last edited:

And ruthut.. I think you misinterpreted RU4Reals comments... LF can be insecure, etc AND be evil.. using evil tactics and pulling all the strings to make his dreams come true. It doesn't matter WHY he does the things he does.. it matters that he does them and it matters what he does to people.

He is the polar opposite of Ned Stark. It does not matter that Ned married Cat despite NOT loving her.. it was an obligation of honor.. and it does not matter that LF supposedly loved Cat. There is no way he could do to her children what he has done if he actually loved her. I submit to you the idea that LF has no idea what love is... never did, never will. I don't care how he got this way.. the man is shite.
Agree that LF can be insecure and evil. Also agree with RU4REALS last paragraph that grrm likes to set traps and characters are complex. Just have a theory that maybe we're being set up here. Could be wrong and if LF is dead by the next episode, I won't shed tears.

Or Jamie compared to his crazy sister. What will happen if she sees the wight and still decides to not help in order to allow the Night's King to do the dirty work for her.

Of course, if that happens all of the north will be undead monsters as well including all three dragons, direwolves, etc. She would doomed all 7 kingdoms.

Will he be forced to do the deed again and become the Queen's Slayer? Can he do that to his sister/lover/mother of his children. Will the armies follow him after that to battle up north?

What about psycho Euron Greyjoy, he needs to be dealt with as well and also Little Finger.

Basically any agents of chaos must be dealt with if that have any chance against the army of the undead.

Just keep in mind that we have yet to see the full army, there are about 99 Whitewalkers alone (minus the ones already killed), possible 100,000's of zombies, at least 3 giants and a dragon. Who knows what else.

Above someone opined that the dead "ice dragon" would be a fire breather?

If part of the Night King's army wouldn't it breath something in a cold nature?

Glad you asked. He wants to marry Sansa so his offspring can sit the iron throne. He knows that the Lord's of westros will never except a king from the great house Baelish. Sansa is the top rung of his latter.

So then what is LF 's end game? Is his motivation as described above?

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Another question: the Night King raised the dead wildlings at Hardhome by raising his hands in the "come at me bro" stance. He created white walkers by touching Crastor's kids. He touched the dragon instead of raising him from the dead. Does this mean the dragon is a white walker and can raise dead dragons? (The bones in the Red Keep)

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Does this mean the dragon is a white walker and can raise dead dragons? (The bones in the Red Keep)

ooooo.. had not considered that one... but I dismiss it. What's a dragon skull going to do without a body or wings or a belly?

LF wants the iron throne.. and great houses can be made.. in the books the Lannisters gave LF Harrenhall.. the ruins that Arya spent time in as Tywin's assistant. That was a famous seat of a great house.

I'm sure there are ways for even a Baelish to ascend the throne.. with enough power.

My guess as for the story end is for there to be no real end. That when whoever is meant to sits the Iron Throne at the end and Game of Thrones will begins.. the wheel keeps turning. My money is on Jon Snow... a Stark sits the throne! Or better yet... Dany has a dragon destroy the throne! Self Rule for all the kingdoms.. perhaps installation of a round table in its place.. GRRM could go anywhere with this.. the show people too.

BTW.. found some forbes thing quoting a fan site on the math behind the ravens flight to save Jon Snow and company..
  • Ravens are compared to real-world carrier pigeons which can travel 1100 miles at up to 50 mph, so assume that speed as an estimate.
  • Eastwatch and Dragonstone are roughly 1900 miles apart (according to one lore map), rounded up to 2000 because of flight path variation.
  • That means the raven could make the flight in about 40 hours, plus eight for food or rest. So two days.
  • With no science available on how fast dragons fly, he estimates they can fly at least as fast and as long as carrier pigeons, so two days for a return trip. Four days total.
  • More math about the freezing of water in certain sub-zero conditions estimates it would take about four days for the water to refreeze enough for the army of the dead to walk on. So in effect, this all lines up.
I think the dragon is twice as fast as a raven.. I would hope.. and that a rave is faster than a carrier pigeon over distance.. So the whole thing could have been done in 3 days... including Gendry's run to Eastwatch. But the should have showed at least one nightfall.. and maybe some building of a fire.. they could have had a dead tree on that island.. driftwood.. something to show passage of time... other than how long it took for the ice to refreeze.

Last edited:
Anyone watch Preston Jacobs' reviews? Pretty funny. He tears this episode to shreds. He also points out all the inconsistencies regarding events of past episodes. For example, Arya and her bow story.

Before it was fun engaging in all of these complex theories, but at this point, I think whatever path the writer's have chosen, it will be pretty straight on the rest of the way. The fan theories will be way more complex than what will actually happen. The character intrigue and trying to figure out this that and the other thing is done.

My guess is that Little Finger gets it in this episode.

Reactions: RutHut and MoobyCow
Anyone watch Preston Jacobs' reviews? Pretty funny. He tears this episode to shreds. He also points out all the inconsistencies regarding events of past episodes. For example, Arya and her bow story.

Before it was fun engaging in all of these complex theories, but at this point, I think whatever path the writer's have chosen, it will be pretty straight on the rest of the way. The fan theories will be way more complex than what will actually happen. The character intrigue and trying to figure out this that and the other thing is done.

My guess is that Little Finger gets it in this episode.
You are in the right. And we didn't even discuss varys motives. It will probably be simple but will still be fun.

George Martin has stated that the 100 year war is some of the basis for GOT.
See below to draw conclusions to the end of the story - it appears that "the North is an allusion to the British Isles.

from wikipedia
The Hundred Years' War was a series of conflicts waged from 1337 to 1453 by the House of Plantagenet, rulers of the Kingdom of England, against the House of Valois, rulers of the Kingdom of France, over the succession to the French throne. Each side drew many allies into the war. It was one of the most notable conflicts of the Middle Ages, in which five generations of kings from two rival dynasties fought for the throne of the largest kingdom in Western Europe. The war marked both the height of chivalry and its subsequent decline, and the development of strong national identities in both countries.

After the Norman Conquest, the kings of England were vassals of the kings of France for their possessions in France. The French kings had endeavored, over the centuries, to reduce these possessions, to the effect that only Gascony was left to the English. The confiscation or threat of confiscating this duchy had been part of French policy to check the growth of English power, particularly whenever the English were at war with the Kingdom of Scotland, an ally of France.

Through his mother, Isabella of France, Edward III of England was the grandson of Philip IV and nephew of Charles IV, the last king of the senior line of the House of Capet. In 1316, a principle was established denying women succession to the French throne. When Charles IV died in 1328, Isabella, unable to claim the French throne for herself, claimed it for her son by proximity of blood to the deceased monarch. The French rejected the claim, maintaining that Isabella could not transmit a right that she did not possess. A French count, Philip of Valois, grandson of Philip III and nephew of Philip IV, succeeded to the throne. For about nine years (1328–1337), the English had accepted the Valois succession to the French throne, but the interference of the French king, Philip VI, in Edward III's war against Scotland prompted Edward III to reassert his claim to the French throne. Several overwhelming English victories in the war—especially at Crécy, Poitiers, and Agincourt—raised the prospects of an ultimate English triumph. However, the greater resources of the French monarchy precluded a complete conquest. Starting in 1429, decisive French victories at Orléans, Patay, Formigny, and Castillon concluded the war in favour of France, with England permanently losing most of its major possessions on the continent.

Historians commonly divide the war into three phases separated by truces: the Edwardian Era War (1337–1360); the Caroline War (1369–1389); and the Lancastrian War (1415–1453). Local conflicts in neighbouring areas, which were contemporarily related to the war, including the War of the Breton Succession (1341–1364), the Castilian Civil War (1366–1369), the War of the Two Peters (1356–1375) in Aragon, and the 1383–85 Crisis in Portugal, were availed by the parties to advance their agendas. Later historians adopted the term "Hundred Years' War" as a historiography periodization to encompass all of these events, thus constructing the longest military conflict in European history.

The war owes its historical significance to multiple factors. By its end, feudal armies had been largely replaced by professional troops, and aristocratic dominance had yielded to a democratisation of the manpower and weapons of armies. Although primarily a dynastic conflict, the war gave impetus to ideas of French and English nationalism. The wider introduction of weapons and tactics supplanted the feudal armies where heavy cavalry had dominated, and artillery became important. The war precipitated the creation of the first standing armies in Western Europe since the time of the Western Roman Empire and thus helping to change their role in warfare. With respect to the belligerents, in France, civil wars, deadly epidemics, famines, and bandit free-companies of mercenaries reduced the population drastically. English political forces over time came to oppose the costly venture. The dissatisfaction of English nobles, resulting from the loss of their continental landholdings, became a factor leading to the civil wars known as the Wars of the Roses (1455–1487).

the closest thing to Dragons in real life were pterosaurs.

Massive flying lizards, basically Dragons minus the fire and magic, and lust for gold.

A 2010 study in the journal PLOS ONE suggested pterosaurs had powerful flight muscles, which they could use to walk as quadrupeds (on all fours) like vampire bats and vault into the air. Once airborne, the largest pterosaurs (Quetzalcoatlus northropi) could reach speeds of over 67 mph (108 kph) for a few minutes and then glide at cruising speeds of about 56 mph (90 kph), the study found.

So it will take the Dragons about less than 33 hours to get there.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/24071-pterodactyl-pteranodon-flying-dinosaurs.html

Today's random GOT thought: If I were HBO I would've coaxed the showrunners to do a special "Cleganebowl" episode to run at the same time as the McGregor/Mayweather fight.
Maybe Hound vs. Mountain lasts longer.

Reactions: Peteyd and RutHut
BTW.. found some forbes thing quoting a fan site on the math behind the ravens flight to save Jon Snow and company..
  • Ravens are compared to real-world carrier pigeons which can travel 1100 miles at up to 50 mph, so assume that speed as an estimate.
  • Eastwatch and Dragonstone are roughly 1900 miles apart (according to one lore map), rounded up to 2000 because of flight path variation.
  • That means the raven could make the flight in about 40 hours, plus eight for food or rest. So two days.
  • With no science available on how fast dragons fly, he estimates they can fly at least as fast and as long as carrier pigeons, so two days for a return trip. Four days total.
  • More math about the freezing of water in certain sub-zero conditions estimates it would take about four days for the water to refreeze enough for the army of the dead to walk on. So in effect, this all lines up.
I think the dragon is twice as fast as a raven.. I would hope.. and that a rave is faster than a carrier pigeon over distance.. So the whole thing could have been done in 3 days... including Gendry's run to Eastwatch. But the should have showed at least one nightfall.. and maybe some building of a fire.. they could have had a dead tree on that island.. driftwood.. something to show passage of time... other than how long it took for the ice to refreeze.

Hmmm. But wouldn't Gentry have had to run to Eastwatch before the first raven went out?

Today's random GOT thought: If I were HBO I would've coaxed the showrunners to do a special "Cleganebowl" episode to run at the same time as the McGregor/Mayweather fight.
The Hound is probably one of my 3 favorite characters on the show, but I have to think Mutant Mountain has some kind of special powers now that can't make that a fair fight. I heard they are taking bets in Vegas on how the Mountain ultimately gets taken down. I think it's even money between white walkers, dragon roasting, and mutual destruction with The Hound.

Mayweather is infamous for holding, running away, lightly tapping his opponents with enough punches to win the round all while having elite level defense, making it near impossible to land a clean punch on him. Nearly all of his fights go 12 rounds.

McGregor has never boxed before... but hits really hard.

This will be a 12 rounds one sided snore fest. Mayweather will win every round on points. He won't try to knock him out since Mayweather won't chance McGregor landing a lucky punch.

Watching paint dry might be more exciting.

I have no idea who gets to kill the Mountain but a dragon could make quick work of him. The hound is one of my favorite characters but he couldn't beat Brienne...maybe both of them together could take him out? I don't think that anyone can take out the Zombie Mountain one on one besides the Knight's King and we really don't want to see that right?

What army does the lannisters have left? they'd of brought the vast majority to highgarden. now theyve been lost

Hmmm. But wouldn't Gentry have had to run to Eastwatch before the first raven went out?
But we do not know how far from Eastwatch they were.. it probably was not far.. they just wanted to scout beyond the wall, find one wight and bag it. With the warning from Bran that the undead were coming tot he wall.. it probably wasn't far... that's why they felt comfortable telling him to run to Eastwatch.

I think they could have shown time better.. I think it is sloppy on their part.. or they have no faith that the public would have accepted a sustained sense of emergency if they showed it as a 3 day ordeal.

Think of it this way.. the way they showed it, it was almost as if the "ticking time bomb" of the water refreezing was a matter of hours.. promoting a strong sense of dread.. if you thought it would take 3-4 days... you'd think they have time to get rescued. Les dread.

If they did that calculation and actually made the choice to edit it in such a way to lose the true sense of time.. they think the audience cannot handle a lower paced show. That is weak. We waited a whole off-season to get the Battle of the Bastards. GRRM makes us wait years and years for the next book.

It is insulting.

Cersei was talking of buying mercenaries. If only the gold hadn't been roasted by the dragons.
It wasn't roasted by the dragon. It was brought into the city before the dragon attack.. the were very explicit about that. But more stupidly, the dragons burned food wagons that both King Landing needed (for the coming siege) and the Dothraki needed as well. We know Jaimie had them round up as much food as could be gotten in all those REACH lands.. sent Brom to make sure the farmers gave it over. And now the assumption is it is a burned. That's bad news for everyone.

One might assume the dragons can deal with the Iron Fleet.. so that will allow for food shipments from elsewhere.. and the Dothraki would likely raid everywhere.. they have no allegiance to any Westeros lords. Perhaps facing starvation they will do their own thing. I'm not sure why Dany is okay with the Dothraki anyway.. they sold plenty of slaves to the salvers.

did not read link.. but the title.. Dragon and the Wolf makes me think Dany and Jon get "busy".. and probably then find out they are first cousins.. and that Jon has the better claim.. AWKWARD.....
HA! Very awkward. Actually, Dany is Jon's aunt. I think R was Dany's older brother, right?

Littlefinger is the one behind all this chaos. First season, he advised Ned only to turn on him. Little finger is also responsible for the poisoning of Caitelyn's sister, which led him, now to lead the Vale (house Arryn ). Don't forget, Varys is the one who can see thruough Littlefinger's treachery, as he's always sraring at the Iron Throne whenever he's alone. Cancer=Littlefinger!

Wow, wow, wow. So many answers and plot advancement. I guess my prediction of LF making to the end was incorrect!

Jaime abandoned Cersei, very nice. But no Cleagan-bowl. Perhaps next season. And as for Jon and Dany, DUDE, that's your Aunt!!!
:)

Wow, wow, wow. So many answers and plot advancement. I guess my prediction of LF making to the end was incorrect!

Jaime abandoned Cersei, very nice. But no Cleagan-bowl. Perhaps next season. And as for Jon and Dany, DUDE, that's your Aunt!!!
:)
Oh but the Cleagane Bowl was well teased.

Reactions: KevH
Well there's our answer.
You have the right of it. Upon LF's demise, at least I still have a character to root for. You know, Cersie is not such a bad person and is only looking out for her child, right? The chaos is over and its time for the ultimate war.:flushed:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT