ADVERTISEMENT

OT: GoFundMe for Medical Expenses

YoUnG-Ru-FaN-FL

All American
Feb 16, 2002
Hey everyone,

I hate doing this or posting this but at this point I feel like I don't have a choice. I hurt my foot very badly (probably broken) and have no insurance. I can't walk really which is so frustrating. I also have BPD and need counseling sessions in order to function because right now I'm just...not. I'm not trying to make a victim out of myself but it's very difficult. If anyone can donate anything to my GoFundMe, I'd be eternally grateful. Any excess funds will go towards counseling for BPD.

Thanks so much, and if you can't donate that's okay. I hate making a thing of this, I just don't have any other avenue for assistance.

Morgan Lewis GoFundMe

Thanks again,

-Morgan

First…Sorry to hear about your troubles. Where do you live? Some towns have resources and places to go where licensed social workers provide services on a sliding scale.. I work at a school with many low income families and some get counseling for free.
You have to do the work and look.
Second… The ER cannot deny you treatment. I think most likely you will be billed and can file for some sort of assistance.
If you think your foot is broken go to the ER
Good luck to you.

Emergency Medicaid is pretty standard (its how most immigrants get babies paid for).

Reactions: Jm0513
Hope this might be of help
these health centers provide care on a sliding fee scale so it is affordable for anyone. You can receive care even if you are uninsured or cannot pay. Search the directory by zip code to find the centers nearest you.
http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/

I believe he might have moved back to Florida and they may not have Medicaid. If Florida does have Medicaid, he needs to sign up immediately.

Who is not eligible for Medicaid in Florida?

Able-bodied, non-elderly adults who don't have dependents are not eligible for Medicaid in Florida, regardless of how low their income is. Florida's eligibility standards are: Children up to 1 year old: 206% of the federal poverty level (FPL) Children ages 1-5: 140% of FPL.

Florida is stricter than most states to be eligible for Medicaid. They have tried to pass a work requirement but the courts have ruled against it.

Last edited:
I was told I was not eligible for Medicaid, though I have no idea why, I should qualify. It's either a tendon in my foot or broken but they'll charge me over $1,000 for a visit and I simply cannot afford that right now. I am in Florida currently. If I were in California I could get the care I need.

I'm also in a very rural town, Chipley, which has very little resources, if any. I've tried. Hence why I set this up. Thanks to those who have donated, it's appreciated. I just want to reach the goal and then shut it down.

I also have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) which is a part of this. There are no mental health resources here, and I need counseling because my functioning is pretty low.

Again thanks to all and thanks for the advice, I will be sure to follow it.

I was told I was not eligible for Medicaid, though I have no idea why, I should qualify. It's either a tendon in my foot or broken but they'll charge me over $1,000 for a visit and I simply cannot afford that right now. I am in Florida currently. If I were in California I could get the care I need.

I'm also in a very rural town, Chipley, which has very little resources, if any. I've tried. Hence why I set this up. Thanks to those who have donated, it's appreciated. I just want to reach the goal and then shut it down.
In NJ or California, you would qualify and you would have good enough medical coverage.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

I also have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) which is a part of this. There are no mental health resources here, and I need counseling because my functioning is pretty low.

Again thanks to all and thanks for the advice, I will be sure to follow it.
This should be in your area, might be worth checking out

PanCare offers a sliding fee scale to meet the needs of those uninsured or underinsured and provides reduced costs on healthcare services for those who are eligible.
● For patients with low-income - the amount you pay for services will depend on income level. The less income one brings in each month, the less they will pay for health care services.
● For patients with no insurance - Patients without insurance are billed on a sliding fee scale based on family size, and household income.

https://pancarefl.org/affordable-health-care-clinic

Operated by Pancare of Florida Inc
1414 Main St STE 4
Chipley, FL, 32428-6951
Tel: 850-872-4128

Yeah Florida is ridiculous.
You should try to sign up for Obamacare since your income would be very low and premiums would be extremely low. Normally, you would have signed up Nov- Dec but you still might be eligible. This will give you access to mental health resources.

Wish you the best.

you can enroll in Obamacare since you moved to another state.

If you miss Open Enrollment, you can still get an Obamacare plan if you qualify for the Special Enrollment Period. The Special Enrollment Period begins when you have certain life changes. Examples include getting married/divorced, having a baby, losing health coverage, moving to a new state, and more.

Last edited:
As Jm0513 is saying go to the Emergency Room.

"The State of Florida defines charity care as free care given to people with household incomes up to twice the poverty level. We don't stop there. We provide free health care to people with household incomes up to three times (300 percent) the federal poverty level."

List of Florida Charity Care sites.

Reactions: RUAldo and Jm0513
Yes I went to the University of Florida. Had classes with Tebow too.

g
Who is not eligible for Medicaid in Florida?

Able-bodied, non-elderly adults who don't have dependents are not eligible for Medicaid in Florida, regardless of how low their income is. Florida's eligibility standards are: Children up to 1 year old: 206% of the federal poverty level (FPL) Children ages 1-5: 140% of FPL.

Florida is stricter than most states to be eligible for Medicaid. They have tried to pass a work requirement but the courts have ruled against it.

I was told when I tried applying for Medicaid that I wasn't eligible. I have no idea why. I need to find out and I'm going to apply again.

Again I ask.. why not go to the ER??
Have you been taking pain pills for your foot?

The cost. I didn't want a 2-4k bill that I couldn't pay and get even further in debt. No, I'm not taking pain pills. I've tried to find some local health clinics in the area but to no avail.

Sorry for the delay, I've been working on schoolwork all day.

I haven’t read all the responses but most or all ERs can’t deny treatment and/or have charity care programs that will pay the bills if you are unable.

As Jm0513 is saying go to the Emergency Room.

"The State of Florida defines charity care as free care given to people with household incomes up to twice the poverty level. We don't stop there. We provide free health care to people with household incomes up to three times (300 percent) the federal poverty level."

List of Florida Charity Care sites.
This…when I was in grad school and had no insurance for a few months I went to the ER for knee injury and charity care took care of the whole bill.

Go to the ER. Get your foot treated. Tell the hospital that you are unemployed and homeless. They will mail you a bill but will never place your account for collection,

Then get a job. Small businesses are begging for workers. You have a college degree.

Then, when it’s time to vote; vote against people who are against American citizens having guaranteed healthcare.

Last edited:
Yes I went to the University of Florida. Had classes with Tebow too.

I was told when I tried applying for Medicaid that I wasn't eligible. I have no idea why. I need to find out and I'm going to apply again.

The cost. I didn't want a 2-4k bill that I couldn't pay and get even further in debt. No, I'm not taking pain pills. I've tried to find some local health clinics in the area but to no avail.

Sorry for the delay, I've been working on schoolwork all day.
You’re 35? I guess you’re unemployed? Not being a dick, just trying to piece the puzzle together.
I wish you all the best. Hopefully you get some medical care

Reactions: Morrischiano
He actually a far right supporter that dislikes liberals from his past postings.
that should have no bearing when someone asks for help.
I don't know the person asking, but if I can help that person get the help needed,
will do my best and politics won't have a role in it .

that should have no bearing when someone asks for help.
I don't know the person asking, but if I can help that person get the help needed,
will do my best and politics won't have a role in it .
I was responding to the following comment from the other poster. I gave him valid information about Obamacare.

Then, when it’s time to vote; vote against people who are against American citizens having guaranteed healthcare.

I'm anything but far right. My posts were misguided in Current Events, but I am NOT far right or even right. This is ridiculous. I'm not going to get into politics here but it feels like I'm not entirely welcome. Thanks for the help for those of you who have helped.

And "guessing" I'm 35 and unemployed is a bit judgemental. I've had some bad situations the last few years and am in between jobs. A lot of people my age are. It is what it is.

Thanks again. I'm only $80 from my goal.

-Morgan

What is borderline personality disorder? I've heard of bipolar but not borderline

I'm anything but far right. My posts were misguided in Current Events, but I am NOT far right or even right. This is ridiculous. I'm not going to get into politics here but it feels like I'm not entirely welcome. Thanks for the help for those of you who have helped.

And "guessing" I'm 35 and unemployed is a bit judgemental. I've had some bad situations the last few years and am in between jobs. A lot of people my age are. It is what it is.

-Morgan
not everyone is understanding when it comes to many things.
The best way to handle that is let them have their say but not discourage you from getting the advice and help you asked for.
When it comes to political discussions, I want a lot of my fellow TKR members out of here.
But when it comes to helping them outside of politics, they will find me willing if I can

I'm sure many of them are the same and don't think you need to leave.
You are part of this site and have every right to be here.
Just because you're close to your goal doesn't mean you don't need good advice to help make sure you don't need help like this again.

Also no one should feel they can't ask for some kind of help here because of their political POV

-Morgan
I was asking a question which I have a right to do since you’re asking for money.

Idk here in NJ places are begging people to work. Every other restaurant has a help wanted sign.
Have a good night!

I was asking a question which I have a right to do since you’re asking for money.

Idk here in NJ places are begging people to work. Every other restaurant has a help wanted sign.
Have a good night!
Just let it go. He says he needs help, he doesn’t live in NJ. No need to jump all over the guy for this, just don’t give him the $10-20 that most donors are.

Have a good night!
I'm thinking ( benefit of doubt) his BPD (A mental disorder characterized by unstable moods, behavior, and relationships.) might have a hand in being unemployed.
Could be wrong but that's the reason I'm trying to help find medical care for foot and posting the way I have in this thread

My BPD isn't why I'm not employed right now but I'm not giving you my life's story.

You say this isn't legit, well, go ahead and think that. I honestly don't care. This is why I don't like to reach out for help but at this point I have no choice. I'm also permanently disabled from a worker's comp injury, but again that's not really anyone's business.

My BPD isn't why I'm not employed right now but I'm not giving you my life's story.

You say this isn't legit, well, go ahead and think that. I honestly don't care. This is why I don't like to reach out for help but at this point I have no choice. I'm also permanently disabled from a worker's comp injury, but again that's not really anyone's business.
If you are permanently disabled you would be covered by workmens comp Medicare/Medicaid or a combination. More of a reason you should be going to the ER. If you do not get the answers contact your caseworker or the ombudsmen.

If you are permanently disabled you would be covered by workmens comp. More of a reason you should be going to the ER. If you do not get the answers contact the ombudsmen.
Not that simple. I moved back from Cali to Florida. Worker's comp screwed me in California and wouldn't cover my back. So yeah. I am disabled with two herniated discs in my back 6mm and 4mm in size, L5-S1 and L4-L5. I'm doing my best here. It was a mistake posting here.

Not that simple. I moved back from Cali to Florida. Worker's comp screwed me in California and wouldn't cover my back. So yeah. I am disabled with two herniated discs in my back 6mm and 4mm in size, L5-S1 and L4-L5. I'm doing my best here. It was a mistake posting here.
Not a mistake. People are trying to help. I have assisted many people navigate similar situations. You have gotten some great advice on this thread.

Not a mistake - but I think you’ve gotten good advice that may help you beyond your $500 fundraiser.

Here are the Florida Medicaid requirements. A childless adult is not covered unless blind, disabled or over 65. In other words, Florida elected not to expand Medicaid in response to the enactment of Obamacare. https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1625

May I suggest that this gentleman contact the state's social services department or the Social Security Administration about applying for Federal disability benefits. Such benefits are available to anyone who can show that he is unable to perform gainful employment for medical reasons. The process is not an easy one, but a social services agency or legal services lawyer would be happy to point the way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT