ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How does FGCU land a 5-star/McDonald’s All-American?

So she is transferring to be close to her family? If that was the number one priority, then FGCU was in the right place at the right time.
Huge get.

So she is transferring to be close to her family? If that was the number one priority, then FGCU was in the right place at the right time.
Huge get.
Turtle,
it looks like she's from Canton, Ohio according to article.
So she might not have any family in Florida.

Maybe she likes the beach. Ohio doesn't have one. I know because that was what I missed the most when I was doing a master's degree at OSU eons ago. That and decent pizza.

It is a puzzlement, though. I know nothing of FGCU except for the fact that its men's bball team made a run in the NCAAs a few years back. That at least got their name out there. I hadn't even heard of the school before that.

My friend's daughter transferred to FGCU from an SEC program to play soccer. It's a beautiful campus in Fort Myers. Great weather. Lots of outdoor activities.

great coach, up tempo style of play, a perennial NCAA team and recently often ranked . She will be the focus and star of the team.

great coach, up tempo style of play, a perennial NCAA team and recently often ranked . She will be the focus and star of the team.
Yes, Smesko is a talent, who, for better or worse, doesn't seem to want to go to a higher level. "Often ranked" is a stretch because, unfortunately, they are in the ASun. Also it is fine to say they make the NCAA's, but they don't go far, as a rule. However, she is certainly likely to be the star, as you say.

There are periodic rumors that Smesko is "of interest" to a P5 program, but hasn't happened.

Wonder who pulls the trigger first to start a football program-them or North Florida ? North Florida has the advantage of having a huge stadium in Jacksonville where the London Jaguars currently play.

Maybe it's a situation somewhat similar to Ciani Cryor ending up at Texas Southern, although FGCU has a very good team.... During her freshman year at Ohio State, Kierstan Bell was suspended one game for a violation of team rules, and she also missed 2 more games late in the season (including against us) for personal reasons. Ohio State lost both of those games. Maybe she needed a change of environment.

She also wasn't a starter in most games at Ohio State, and none of the regular starters were seniors so they'll all probably be back. And like someone else said, she'll probably be a superstar at FGCU, and play in the NCAA tournament. 30-3 FGCU finished the season ranked number 31 in the AP poll, just behind us, and ranked ahead of us, at number 24, in the coaches poll.

Reactions: LtCol144
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT