ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hunt For Red October Released In Theaters 30 Years Ago Today

One interesting detail about Clancy.. his follow-up was co-wrote with Larry Bond.. "Red Strom Rising" and was inspired by playing a board game called Harpoon... which itself became a computer game.

Tom Clancy met Larry Bond in 1982. Clancy had purchased Bond's wargame Harpoon as a primary source for his future novel The Hunt for Red October (1984).[5] They used the board game's second edition miniature rules to test key battle sequences, notably the Soviet operation to seize Iceland and the attack on the carrier battle group in the "Dance of the Vampires" chapter, with Bond refereeing the game sessions, which typically involved several players on each side (Clancy among them) acting in various roles.[6]

The two discussed Convoy-84, a wargame Bond had been working on at the time that featured a new Battle of the North Atlantic. The idea became the basis for Red Storm Rising, although Clancy is later referred as the sole author. "I wrote like 1 percent of the book," remarked Bond. For research on the Politburo scenes, Clancy and Bond interviewed Soviet defector Arkady Shevchenko.[7]

IIRC Bond is still writing Clancy like books - I believe he did a more modern updated RSR.

Speaking of "Red Storm Rising" and Tom Clancy's (or maybe this other Bond guy we're talking about) writing style...

There is a passage that describes the look (just the look) on the face of the Spetsnaz guy when he encounters the Politburo member (and the look on the guy's face too - lol) who by his action was responsible for the death of that soldier's child...

Good stuff. Real good.

well, the point about what he got paid for The Hunt for Red October was one of..

what if he only had one good novel in him?

of course, I have no idea if the publisher shared the wealth or if he retained the rights for it to be a movie , etc.

I can recall that at one point in the "cold war" we could identify every Sub in the Russian fleet by it's propeller noise in transit anywhere.

I can recall that at one point in the "cold war" we could identify every Sub in the Russian fleet by it's propeller noise in transit anywhere.

Not just propeller signatures. There are other sounds as well (reactor pumps, nuanced flow turbulence around appendages, etc.).

well, the point about what he got paid for The Hunt for Red October was one of..

what if he only had one good novel in him?

of course, I have no idea if the publisher shared the wealth or if he retained the rights for it to be a movie , etc.

It’s fine. Very knowable stuff. I think Wikipedia notes that he made a few million off “Hunt”.

John flew P-3's with the 'stinger".

Yeah, I don't know who John is.

The Orion is, by definition, an active surveillance platform. It has no passive sonar capabilities, therefore how quiet a target might be is completely irrelevant.

I'm the first guy to post this? Doesn't even need the quote. You know what he says.

fred-dalton-thompson-the-hunt-for-red-october.jpg

Loved the book, liked the movie.
Fred Thompson was a great actor with "boss" roles (Admiral, DA on Law and Order). Would have made a good president in real life. Had a beautiful wife who was 25 years younger then him.
Alec Baldwin was TERRIBLE as Jack Ryan. Thank God they moved on to Harrison Ford.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Fred Thompson was a great actor with "boss" roles (Admiral, DA on Law and Order). Would have made a good president in real life. Had a beautiful wife who was 25 years younger then him.
Alec Baldwin was TERRIBLE as Jack Ryan. Thank God they moved on to Harrison Ford.
I thought young Alec fit the part of Ryan well. In real life of course he's an ass. I loved Fred.

Yeah, I don't know who John is.

The Orion is, by definition, an active surveillance platform. It has no passive sonar capabilities, therefore how quiet a target might be is completely irrelevant.

Wrong, but whatever.

Tom Clancy, at the time running his deceased father-in-law's (small) insurance agency to make a living, followed his passion and wrote the book. We all know President Reagan's line about it and the rest was history for Clancy. An inspiration and success story for anyone who's put off following their dreams...

Reactions: RUScrew85
Sean was awful as a Russian.

Control room was made so big and shiny for the movie crew/DP to be able to stage and film scenes and camera angles.
I remember watching the "making of ..." doc on HBO when they were releasing the picture. McTiernan (or the Art Director) talked about making the conns of the U.S. and U.S.S.R.'s subs so distinct and recognizably different from one another so that that viewer would know instantly where the action was taking place in each scene, and to dramatize the difference between hunter and prey.

... and yet I couldn't tell you a single thing I learned in class that semester of my junior year.

Reactions: rurichdog

Tend to agree concerning Baldwin. Don't think he could've carried on with the series. Glad they went with Harrison, but he was really too old by the time they did "Clear & Present Danger". Affleck took over in "Sum of All Fears" (basically the only one I haven't seen since they changed the story line), so I can't judge whether he fit the role. I thought Chris Pine did well as Jack Ryan, although that film wasn't part of Clancy's books. Haven't seen the Amazon series with John Krasinki.

As noted, the films were good, the books are better. Kind of annoying how the films wound up changing some aspects of the books, like in "Patriot Games", he saved the Prince of Wales (which he gets knighted for), not just Minister for N. Ireland. Interesting how Clancy rather foreshadowed 9/11, as "Debt of Honor" ends with a commercial jet plane taking out the Capital.

Interesting how Clancy rather foreshadowed 9/11, as "Debt of Honor" ends with a commercial jet plane taking out the Capital.

I was sitting at home after 9/11 because my office was off-limits in the WTC impact zone, and listening to way too much cable news. Some George W senior aide and apologist comes on and when pushed on why we didn't prevent the assault answers "No one could have reasonably anticipated this sort of attack"

I nearly screamed at the TV "Tom Clancy did!"

Of course later we learned plenty in the intelligence and law enforcement community had the creativity of mind to consider the possibility, just not the leadership.

Reactions: RUScrew85 and 17Q66
"Now, understand, Commander, that torpedo did not self-destruct. You heard it hit the hull. And I... was never here.”

I was sitting at home after 9/11 because my office was off-limits in the WTC impact zone, and listening to way too much cable news. Some George W senior aide and apologist comes on and when pushed on why we didn't prevent the assault answers "No one could have reasonably anticipated this sort of attack"

I nearly screamed at the TV "Tom Clancy did!"

Of course later we learned plenty in the intelligence and law enforcement community had the creativity of mind to consider the possibility, just not the leadership.
Its not as impressive as Dean Kuntzs book that predicted Corona virus

Tend to agree concerning Baldwin. Don't think he could've carried on with the series. Glad they went with Harrison, but he was really too old by the time they did "Clear & Present Danger". Affleck took over in "Sum of All Fears" (basically the only one I haven't seen since they changed the story line), so I can't judge whether he fit the role. I thought Chris Pine did well as Jack Ryan, although that film wasn't part of Clancy's books. Haven't seen the Amazon series with John Krasinki.

As noted, the films were good, the books are better. Kind of annoying how the films wound up changing some aspects of the books, like in "Patriot Games", he saved the Prince of Wales (which he gets knighted for), not just Minister for N. Ireland. Interesting how Clancy rather foreshadowed 9/11, as "Debt of Honor" ends with a commercial jet plane taking out the Capital.
They made Admiral Greer into a Muslim. WTF?

They made Admiral Greer into a Muslim. WTF?
The Amazon Prime series is a classic reboot where it’s the same guy, Jack Ryan but some of the surrounding characters and backstory gets changed to suit “things” in this version.

I will say it’s much better than I thought was going to be and Karinski does a pretty good job IMO.

And if you don’t like the Greer change you’re going hate that they made Ryan a BCU alum. LOL

The Amazon Prime series is a classic reboot where it’s the same guy, Jack Ryan but some of the surrounding characters and backstory gets changed to suit “things” in this version.

I will say it’s much better than I thought was going to be and Karinski does a pretty good job IMO.

And if you don’t like the Greer change you’re going hate that they made Ryan a BCU alum.
It's a fine show, but he's as far from Jack Ryan as a character can be.

And Ryan was always a BC alum -- the film made him a USNA grad to create/resolve that tension with Fred Thompson's EO on the carrier. He was an OCS 90-day wonder in the books.

Dunno why they had to attach this series to the Ryanverse; I think it would've done better without the baggage and would've been that much less expensive to produce. (It's Amazon; who cares how much it costs, amirite?)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT