ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In the market for a compact SUV, any advice?

I'm on my 5th Ford Escape...buying this one. I've never had a problem with any of them (knock wood).

Test drove all the mainstream SUV's recently. Hands down the Mazda CX-5. Awesome drivability, no CVT transmission and luxury like interior. Nothing in that price range comes close.

Reactions: RU2131
[
Test drove all the mainstream SUV's recently. Hands down the Mazda CX-5. Awesome drivability, no CVT transmission and luxury like interior. Nothing in that price range comes close.
What about the CX-3? I'd consider the CX-5, but really looking to stay under $200/month since the car will get driven only around 1-2x a week.

I also considered going second hand since i'm putting so few miles on it, but unless i'm going tiny car (Nissan versa, Ford Fiesta), a new lease is still cheaper (plus the no maintenance thing is a tie breaker).

BMW’s are for snobs.

Lol! I've heard this many times before so it's probably true to some extent. I love BMW's and am on my 4th. Not for the snob factor but because if you enjoy to drive sporty cars like I do... the BMW's driving feel and it's connection to road is hard to beat for the price. Particularly the 3 and 4 series. The styling is aggressive and the interior is typically a cut above. If you buy CPO, it's devalued by half and can be had for same price as economy cars in that class... and the ownership experience is much better than the econ cars in my opinion.

Reactions: AntiG and Jm0513
Lol! I've heard this many times before so it's probably true to some extent. I love BMW's and am on my 4th. Not for the snob factor but because if you enjoy to drive sporty cars like I do... the BMW's driving feel and it's connection to road is hard to beat for the price. Particularly the 3 and 4 series. The styling is aggressive and the interior is typically a cut above. If you buy CPO, it's devalued by half and can be had for same price as economy cars in that class... and the ownership experience is much better than the econ cars in my opinion.
I was joking. They drive really well as does the Audi suvs. I’m just knocking down certain posters that Mways like to say how wealthy they are.

Much better than the Subaru’s? And what do you think of it as far as being good long term ? I would be looking to buy, pay off and keep for while .

since the car will get driven only around 1-2x a week

Maybe you've considered this, but are you sure you really even need a car if it's only being driven a couple times per week? Run the numbers to compare TCO vs. expenses if you just took uber for errands and stuff. Might not be worth the add'l auto insurance you'll pay for owning it even with the low mileage anticipated.

Last edited:
Laughing...no where near OP

As for the Telluride...while not in the class OP is looking for in size or price, I have heard absolutely wonderful things. My wife is just out of a Evoque Lease and was considering a Mini Countryman next but her good friend, who was always a BMW/Benz type of guy...Also top performer mortgages for over 30 years, recently purchased the Telluride and said it was one of the best decisions he ever made.
For sure, the S is big a jump up in expense (and if I got one, it would be a minimum spec due to the engine difference to the base model). But a Macan base model lease could probably be had for not a ton more than a lease on some of the vehicles the OP mentioned. The purchase price is higher, but a short term low mileage lease might not be bad, due to the difference in depreciation. Maybe.

Or maybe not, not entirely sure. Maybe it's still way more.

On the other hand, my kid was giving me crap about getting a Macan S or GTS saying "oh great, yet another car we're not allowed to eat in and have to park a mile from every entrance". And he has a point there (with the eating thing).

Being a car guy, I read everything about the Telluride and have spent time in the Kia forums seeing how people feel (and if I could put wider wheels on it). I started out thinking about another Suburban, or similarly large SUV, to replace my prior Suburban. Or maybe a GLS 450 (still considering that one - very luxurious). But then the Telluride came out and wooed car reviewers universally and I keep seeing them and really like how they look - and normally do not like the appearance of SUVs much. I've also asked a lot of Telluride owners (in parking lots or wherever I encounter them - I'm inappropriately friendly that way) and they all are loving the car and many really rave about it.

And it's dirt cheap for what you get. At least for now - I suspect it'll be getting more expensive. With even long term reviews showing no issues, I have to say I'm starting to really lean that way.

People who buy cars as status symbols would skip it. I don't GAF about status symbols - I just want something I like, whatever brand. And I'd feel okay about eating in it.

Would still park a mile from every entrance though. Haha.

Maybe you've considered this, but are you sure you really even need a car if it's only being driven a couple times per week? Run the numbers to compare TCO vs. expenses if you just took uber for errands and stuff. Might not be worth the auto insurance you'll pay for owning it even with the low mileage anticipated.
Probably cheaper just to Uber but a good portion of usage will be driving kids places and they’re still in boosters, car seats. I can’t see myself getting dropped off to coach baseball with kids in tow in an Uber.

BMW’s are for snobs.
Snobs can found in all kinds of cars. OTOH, BMW styling, which I used to like a lot, has taken directions with recent generations that I really dislike. Totally dislike the front-end of the new M3 and M4. Is fugly.

Probably cheaper just to Uber but a good portion of usage will be driving kids places and they’re still in boosters, car seats. I can’t see myself getting dropped off to coach baseball with kids in tow in an Uber.
Got it...the booster/car seat dilemma is often a dealbreaker for the ridehailing approach.

[

What about the CX-3? I'd consider the CX-5, but really looking to stay under $200/month since the car will get driven only around 1-2x a week.

I also considered going second hand since i'm putting so few miles on it, but unless i'm going tiny car (Nissan versa, Ford Fiesta), a new lease is still cheaper (plus the no maintenance thing is a tie breaker).
CX-3 was really small inside. Mazda now has a CX-30 which comes in between the CX-3 and the CX-5. The CX-30 would be considered a subcompact while the CX-5 is in the compact class. Did not test drive the CX-30 because the CX-5 was really close. The CX-30 gets good reviews - the CX-3 does not.

[

Lease would be better and more reliable. You really cant buy a car under 10k that you will feel confident that you are good to go with the kids every day. CX-3 may not be a bad option
I was joking. They drive really well as does the Audi suvs. I’m just knocking down certain posters that Mways like to say how wealthy they are.
Like the posters who feel in a thread where the OP says they can spend under $300 for a gas grill and everyone comes back with the top of the line Weber they always trust or a super niche brand that is like $3000
Much better than the Subaru’s? And what do you think of it as far as being good long term ? I would be looking to buy, pay off and keep for while .
To piggy back on Yeah Baby about Snobbish - ummm well, Subaru drivers have their own special kind. Look at most RU Professors
Seems that certain country club types try desperately to prove their worthiness. It's a pathetic look but you can't help some of those folks.
Some CC types just like CC's, Golf, 5 star hotels and nice cars. I am sure their houses seem to be a desperate way to prove themselves too instead of the point they may have actually worked hard all their life to acheive it from nothing. Funny thing though...I havent had a truck since my very first new car back in the 80's...We just got rid of our Range and I just dont want to do that and just always wanted a really nice full sized American Truck- leaning toward a Ram 1500. And told by the Chevy/Ford fans that it is a snobby dentist driving b-tch truck...just cant win. lol
Snobs can found in all kinds of cars. OTOH, BMW styling, which I used to like a lot, has taken directions with recent generations that I really dislike. Totally dislike the front-end of the new M3 and M4. Is fugly.
BMW has stayed pretty true, My biggest pet peeve is that they now have offered every model in a M...They should have just kept that to the 3 series...Also hate the specialized colors for the M and that in many cases, you just cant get the standard color and keep your fun discreet...

Yes - The CX-5 has a much more refined drivetrain IMO. Also the interior of the Subaru had lots of hard plastic and looked dated.

Reactions: RUTBAY1
For sure, the S is big a jump up in expense (and if I got one, it would be a minimum spec due to the engine difference to the base model). But a Macan base model lease could probably be had for not a ton more than a lease on some of the vehicles the OP mentioned. The purchase price is higher, but a short term low mileage lease might not be bad, due to the difference in depreciation. Maybe.

Or maybe not, not entirely sure. Maybe it's still way more.

On the other hand, my kid was giving me crap about getting a Macan S or GTS saying "oh great, yet another car we're not allowed to eat in and have to park a mile from every entrance". And he has a point there (with the eating thing).

Being a car guy, I read everything about the Telluride and have spent time in the Kia forums seeing how people feel (and if I could put wider wheels on it). I started out thinking about another Suburban, or similarly large SUV, to replace my prior Suburban. Or maybe a GLS 450 (still considering that one - very luxurious). But then the Telluride came out and wooed car reviewers universally and I keep seeing them and really like how they look - and normally do not like the appearance of SUVs much. I've also asked a lot of Telluride owners (in parking lots or wherever I encounter them - I'm inappropriately friendly that way) and they all are loving the car and many really rave about it.

And it's dirt cheap for what you get. At least for now - I suspect it'll be getting more expensive. With even long term reviews showing no issues, I have to say I'm starting to really lean that way.

People who buy cars as status symbols would skip it. I don't GAF about status symbols - I just want something I like, whatever brand. And I'd feel okay about eating in it.

Would still park a mile from every entrance though. Haha.
The base lease starts at $5k down $569 per month for 10k miles. As you know- no one ever qualifies for the advertised price unless you have military, trading in a Porsche, Credit, College Grad in last 2 years etc... So let's call it $625 $5k down.
That isnt bad but it isnt in this convo...no matter how we try to slice it. But- I do get your point except I would never buy a Porsche SUV. Porsche is one of my all time manufacturer and I grew up dreaming of owning a 911 and I did that...early 80's style, not today's style. Makes no sense to buy a porsche, or any other Italian Car maker "suv"

This dang Telluride though...as I previously said...good family friend who has the KYK 10 year plan money went with one and we were all like WTF???? He has not driven anything less than a BMW 5 series for the past 25 years and he still has his money. My wife is seriously considering...

I've watched a lot of Youtube mechanics the past few years. Best basic cars (including future reliability) seem to be Toyota and Honda. Nissan is having a lot of issues with their CVT transmissions. Jags, Mercedes, Range Rovers, BMWs and others become repair headaches as they get older. A lot of the young immigrant guys buy them thinking they got a deal, and then they are crying.

I got a Suburu in a deal I couldn't pass on, and its grown on me. Its roomy and has good visibility. A B1G OT could fit in one. The noise from the CVT and the lack of passing power is a negative. Its shocking how cars have such bad visibility after the pillars were beefed-up (rollover deaths etc). The Imprezas and Foresters I've been in have good visibility. I was in a friend's Cadillac sedan, and I felt like I was in a bunker looking through gun slits.

I had a RAV4 loaner car and really liked it even though it was pretty plasticky (many cars are now). Otherwise I don't like most SUVs (bumpy and overpriced but they do have some visibility)

Reactions: Plum Street
I'm on my 5th Ford Escape...buying this one. I've never had a problem with any of them (knock wood).

I had a Toyota RAV4 that I kept on the road for 328k miles. It didn't start giving me problems until it hit the 300k mark. I loved that vehicle. It was stick shift, and fun as hell to drive. The ONLY reason I did not buy another RAV4 is they no longer offered the stick shift option and I love driving stick.

I've watched a lot of Youtube mechanics the past few years. Best basic cars (including future reliability) seem to be Toyota and Honda. Nissan is having a lot of issues with their CVT transmissions. Jags, Mercedes, Range Rovers, BMWs and others become repair headaches as they get older. A lot of the young immigrant guys buy them thinking they got a deal, and then they are crying.

I got a Suburu in a deal I couldn't pass on, and its grown on me. Its roomy and has good visibility. A B1G OT could fit in one. The noise from the CVT and the lack of passing power is a negative. Its shocking how cars have such bad visibility after the pillars were beefed-up (rollover deaths etc). The Imprezas and Foresters I've been in have good visibility. I was in a friend's Cadillac sedan, and I felt like I was in a bunker looking through gun slits.

I had a RAV4 loaner car and really liked it even though it was pretty plasticky (many cars are now). Otherwise I don't like most SUVs (bumpy and overpriced but they do have some visibility)
Lack of power is a big minus for me re: Subarus. I don't have to be sub 4.5 second lightning quick, but if i need to punch and go, I want to know it's there.

Lack of power is a big minus for me re: Subarus. I don't have to be sub 4.5 second lightning quick, but if i need to punch and go, I want to know it's there.

When I'm on thruways during the summer, and I need to pass a truck doing 60+ mph, I have to turn the AC off to get up to speed lol. I mean I can do 80-90 easy if I want, but giving the car the riding crop with the AC on is like beating a donkey. The other crazy thing is the CVT. You tap pedal lightly and car lurches forward like it wants to fly - you floor the pedal and it wants to stay lol. But the car has been good on gas for an all wheel deal. I like how easy it is to change oil too .

Don't the paddle shifters do the same thing as a stick?
Not even close but the need to drive stick is becoming the same as needed to stand up to turn the channels. If I buy a play vehicle, then I want a stick but as an every day or family car...it is just a weird ego thing.

+1
Small/compact SUVs are pretty worthless.

yes the HRV is way small and the CRV has the larger storage space.. ....I am driving a Honda Pilot and that makes the
storage space of the CRV feel small also.... and since I have to carry supplies for a RU tailgate for nine people, I need all the space
I can get, so the Honda gets to be the tailgate vehicle.

one of my favorite vehicles was the grand Cherokee, but, that had smaller storage....if they had made that exact vehicle a foot or so longer in the back, a grand, grand cherokee, I might have stayed with it

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Honda CRV Hands down. It’s utility and reliability makes it 2nd to none.

yes the HRV is way small and the CRV has the larger storage space.. ....I am driving a Honda Pilot and that makes the
storage space of the CRV feel small also.... and since I have to carry supplies for a RU tailgate for nine people, I need all the space
I can get, so the Honda gets to be the tailgate vehicle.

one of my favorite vehicles was the grand Cherokee, but, that had smaller storage....if they had made that exact vehicle a foot or so longer in the back, a grand, grand cherokee, I might have stayed with it
Our cars have increased in size over the years, especially the wife's. First she had an Acura TSX, then she hijacked my Chevy Trailblazer, then GMC Acadia (bigger version before they made it smaller), and last year she got her dream ride.....Yukon Denali (but not the XL).

The base lease starts at $5k down $569 per month for 10k miles. As you know- no one ever qualifies for the advertised price unless you have military, trading in a Porsche, Credit, College Grad in last 2 years etc... So let's call it $625 $5k down.
That isnt bad but it isnt in this convo...no matter how we try to slice it. But- I do get your point except I would never buy a Porsche SUV. Porsche is one of my all time manufacturer and I grew up dreaming of owning a 911 and I did that...early 80's style, not today's style. Makes no sense to buy a porsche, or any other Italian Car maker "suv"

This dang Telluride though...as I previously said...good family friend who has the KYK 10 year plan money went with one and we were all like WTF???? He has not driven anything less than a BMW 5 series for the past 25 years and he still has his money. My wife is seriously considering...
Okay, yeah - that's more than I figured it would be for a Macan base.

I hear what you're saying vis-a-vis the Porsche (and other sportscar-maker) SUVs. I had been poo-pooing the Porsche and Lambo SUVs, too. Right up until I got to drive a bunch of different Cayennes at a Porsche track day, and Macan S as a loaner. I had told my dealer that I was shopping for SUVs but wasn't really considering Porsche SUVs; that I was looking for larger ones. That bastard knew getting me in some would give me pause for thought. And it did - I liked both quite a lot, driving and comfort-wise.

But I'm still leaning towards the Telluride right now. Not making a decision until next Spring or summer, most likely.

The cost savings of getting a Telluride (as opposed to a Macan S or GTS or a Merc GL450) would also help me w/my current plan to add a GT3RS to my garage. As one of the purest forms of naturally aspirated 9000rpm engine brilliance, I want one before we can no longer buy gasoline powered cars.

That's what she said. 😉
iu

After more research and a visit to the Honda dealer to look at the HRV I’m leaning towards the Kona. This will be my second car, so just need it for quick trips when the family ride is in use. Honda dealer said his best deal wouldn’t be cheaper than Hyundai’s best. Size wise, we have a full size SUV so hauling big stuff isn’t an issue. Leasing so not too worried about long term reliability or my kids not being able to fit when they’re teenagers. HRV is great, but if I can save a few hundred a year on the price I’m going Kona.
Would love to hear what else you looked at and eliminated.. for instance. Hyundai and Kia share a lot between them.. why did you eliminate a Kia Niro.. looks?

No, it’s not the same thing! If it doesn’t have a clutch it’s not a true stick. Those who drive stick shifts really love to drive stick!
I have always loved driving stick shift. Back when my first son was born, we had a small Toyota Pickup, one those 80's models with the inverted check on the sides. Well, it was a bench seat, stick on the floor, no AC but a little rear sliding window. Having that baby seat between un and trying to shift was such a freaking PIA.
Then in later years, being in sales, drove all over the place and lots of city driving, plus the kids, had to give up and go to the automatic. Still got a play car with stick shift but just not worth it anymore on a primary vehicle.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Hyundai Kona, Honda HRV, Nissan Kicks.

9 responses and only 1 responded to the OP's final 3 and that took 8 posts before we got to it. It is why I love this board. lol

I can't help the OP either but wouldn't have posted anything until I read these responses to his very direct question about his final 3. lol

That's a great catch. I guess I was selective reading. I must be married to this guy.

After more research and a visit to the Honda dealer to look at the HRV I’m leaning towards the Kona. This will be my second car, so just need it for quick trips when the family ride is in use. Honda dealer said his best deal wouldn’t be cheaper than Hyundai’s best. Size wise, we have a full size SUV so hauling big stuff isn’t an issue. Leasing so not too worried about long term reliability or my kids not being able to fit when they’re teenagers. HRV is great, but if I can save a few hundred a year on the price I’m going Kona.

Double check the reliability on current model Hyundais. I know they have a great warranty but you dont want the car spending a good amount of time in the shop. Friends of mine had a new Hyundai a few years back and they relied on that 10 year warranty plenty within the first few years. Best of luck.

My wife loves her Kia Nero hybrid (after some initial electrical problems) but I think that's considered subcompact

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT