ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Is Uber X now allowed Newark Airport pickups ?

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Flying back from Florida soon and wondering if anyone has used the regular Uber X for a pick up at Newark Airport recently ?

Yes they are. Uber's from NJ are not allowed to pick up in NY airports or NY city unless the have a TLC license.

Reactions: Abro1975
Yes, took uber to the airport and back home, in January, from Terminal A.

Is being an Uber driver worth the effort in NJ? wondering if anyone drives an Uber and makes enough money to be worth it.

Good to know didn't know they could do drop off an pick ups from the Airport.

What is the wait time? I never used Uber before.

There seems to be some sort of catch though that they can only pick you up on certain levels.

you can get around that by calling the uber driver and telling him the exact door you're going to be. for example, level 2 door 5.

Yes, but beware of premium (not surge) billing for pickups at EWR airport. It cost me twice the rate to go from the airport than it cost to go to the airport from the same location. I was told Uber had to double the pickup rate to attract enough drivers to EWR.

Yes, but beware of premium (not surge) billing for pickups at EWR airport. It cost me twice the rate to go from the airport than it cost to go to the airport from the same location. I was told Uber had to double the pickup rate to attract enough drivers to EWR.

That was what I was afraid of. At double the rate that is the same price as a Taxi or more!

So maybe Uber to the airport and a Taxi to come back would be the best way a to go about it.

Are there any North Jersey Amazon Flex warehouse locations? I mean besides NYC which wouldn't be worth the traffic and tolls.

In March I took an Uber to and from Newark airport. There was some surge pricing but it was less that $60 to Parsippany. I think I've taken the taxi once and it around $60 (including tip) and that was some time ago.

you can get around that by calling the uber driver and telling him the exact door you're going to be. for example, level 2 door 5.

We did that, and we were told that only licensed TLC and what not cars are allowed to pick up on that level and we would have to go down a floor.

airports have gotten so inconvenient.

- airport parking typically requires a shuttle bus or tram
- if you have a pickup at a NY area airport the daily parking rate can easily grow to $10 (up to 30 mins is $4 and up to 1 hour is $8). There is limited cell phone parking or free lots nearby to hang out at until you confirm a flight has landed. Last time I was near EWR I saw that lot was closed for construction that was ongoing.
- uber pickups are at a sub-prime location vs. taxis
- it is very tough to bring any kind of food items and all beverages past TSA forcing you to pay $2-3 just for a bottle of water.
- it costs to check your baggage now forcing competitions for carry on space over the seats
- flights are constantly overbooked to assure a full plane

We did that, and we were told that only licensed TLC and what not cars are allowed to pick up on that level and we would have to go down a floor.

sometimes you shouldn't ask, you just do what you have to do. Just tell uber driver to meet you at place x. be there when he comes around, and hop in. no one can stop you.

now we have to worry about getting bloodied and dragged out of the plane.

Traveling is always an adventure.

I think I will greatly limit how much I fly after this trip.

airports have gotten so inconvenient.

- airport parking typically requires a shuttle bus or tram
- if you have a pickup at a NY area airport the daily parking rate can easily grow to $10 (up to 30 mins is $4 and up to 1 hour is $8). There is limited cell phone parking or free lots nearby to hang out at until you confirm a flight has landed. Last time I was near EWR I saw that lot was closed for construction that was ongoing.
- uber pickups are at a sub-prime location vs. taxis
- it is very tough to bring any kind of food items and all beverages past TSA forcing you to pay $2-3 just for a bottle of water.
- it costs to check your baggage now forcing competitions for carry on space over the seats
- flights are constantly overbooked to assure a full plane

On the last two points airlines are finally doing the things necessary to make money. Previously they were filing for bankruptcy.

Remember if they get rid of overbooking the cost of your trip will just increase so you will pay for it.

Flying back from Florida soon and wondering if anyone has used the regular Uber X for a pick up at Newark Airport recently ?
Abro i have and it might just have been me being unlucky but I always seem to have UBER issues at EWR. One time a guy drove right past and immediately sent me a text "uber waited now gone". Then i tried to get another uber and the same driver picked up the fare and did the exact same text and drive away move. I asked him to cancel but no reply so I had to cancel. I was however able to get a waiver the 5 dollar fee the next day. I can't imagine this guy thinks this sort of thing would work long term. Maybe the goal was to make people use a taxi instead?

Right now terminal C is a cluster f for pickups and the uber pickups have not gone easy. Basically tell your driver a specific door and tell them to pick u up from the middle lane. Hop in with your bags with u and get out in 2 seconds. Police will ticket or remove the uber drivers who wait on the curb but will leave u alone if u are in and out if there quickly. Terminal A there are absolutely no issues on the upper level. Terminal B is a total disaster with pickups and is monitored closely.

On the last two points airlines are finally doing the things necessary to make money. Previously they were filing for bankruptcy.

Remember if they get rid of overbooking the cost of your trip will just increase so you will pay for it.

Overbooking is just wrong. If you are taking your family on a trip do you want to get to the gate and then hear from the gate agent "Sorry Mr Superfan01, our flight is oversold and your family has been chosen to be bumped to another flight that leaves in 1 hour that will be a connecting flight and not a direct flight. We will gladly compensate you $200 each as per our carriage agreement". You will be upset and have a sour note to your trip from the get go. If you were going on a cruise maybe you allowed 4 hours of buffer and now you may have almost none and potentially miss your cruise leaving.

As a side note, here in Las Vegas, Uber and Lyft have officially passed taxis in generating fees for the airport. Inevitable? Perhaps. But worth noting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT