ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here an Uber driver?

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
Uber is advertising for drivers via TV ads. It seems like it would be an easy way to pick up some spare cash. Has anyone here done it? How much can you make in an hour? In 3 hours?

Reactions: sanford99
Uber is advertising for drivers via TV ads. It seems like it would be an easy way to pick up some spare cash. Has anyone here done it? How much can you make in an hour? In 3 hours?
I have some buddies that have done Amazon flex.... if you're in a big city area look it up, $18 an hour for 2-4 hours, easy way to make some extra money

Not much. I just took an über home from EWR an hour ago. Trip took 25 minutes and cost me $19. Über takes a cut, then there's the Turnpike toll, gas and wear and tear. The guy probably netted $5 for a half hour of his time

I drive for Uber during my slow period in the winter. Wrong. Passenger pays for tolls. uber also has decreased cits to drivers. Unless you work the cities you won't make much money.

I drive for Uber during my slow period in the winter. Wrong. Passenger pays for tolls. uber also has decreased cits to drivers. Unless you work the cities you won't make much money.

Is it built into ride quote? Or r u expected to hand cash over at toll (like gypsy cabs do)?

While the passenger pays the toll he was right that his net was low. If he paid $19 part if that is the toll. The driver pays the toll but is reimbursed by uber and the passenger. So on a $19 fare he does have to pay uber 20 or 25% and pay for the toll and wear and tear.

While the passenger pays the toll he was right that his net was low. If he paid $19 part if that is the toll. The driver pays the toll but is reimbursed by uber and the passenger. So on a $19 fare he does have to pay uber 20 or 25% and pay for the toll and wear and tear.

Most uber drivers don't know how to chargeback the toll to the customer. But I tip well enough to cover that. At least that's been my experience.

Any tolls paid by the driver are reimbursed by uber on the next paycheck automatically. I do nothing but pay the toll and watch ony app that it is included in pay.

Most uber drivers don't know how to chargeback the toll to the customer. But I tip well enough to cover that. At least that's been my experience.

I didn't think they were allowed to take tips.....

Uber rule is the passenger isn't required to tip the driver. but you can and they are allowed to take it. with lyft, you can add a tip on the app which is nice if you don't carry cash and want to tip.

I was just in Nashville and most drivers use both apps, and they prefer Lyft because of the tip feature on the app.

I didn't think they were allowed to take tips.....

Last edited:
The drivers don't have to charge it back. The toll is automatically added in to the fare if you go through a tollbooth.

during the last ten times i ubered, it was added in once as a separate line item. otherwise it was not included. i'm not about to complain.

I was looking into Uber, read a thread on here about it months ago. One poster warned of risks Uber drivers take relying on Uber's insurance while transporting passengers. He wrote that regardless of what one is told (by Uber), or want to believe, things can get dicey if your slammed by a drunk and several passengers have significant injuries. He wrote that if you don't mind worrying about losing your house, get involved. Solution was privately secured commercial insurance for when you are driving passengers (so if a drunk slams into you, injuries are covered).
I asked a lifelong friend in the insurance industry, and he agreed with the poster raising the cause for concern. Risk/gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
I have been driving with Uber for two months. While Uber rips off its drivers I truck on. Love the hours; they're my own. I quit before 4 p.m. because traffic in Central Jersey is a bear. I do not need the money, but set it aside for "stuff." The best part is meeting people - the Australian businessman, professors returning to India after a reunion at Rutgers, Willie Nelson's bus driver who gave me a tour of his bus, a happily married woman from India whose marriage was an arranged marriage based on a point system. On the other hand when riders under the age of 25 get into the back seat they are immediately locked into their smart phone.

My last uber driver asked me if I had ever tried lyft (he drove for both)...he said his rationale for asking is because he said his passengers liked them better because it allowed them to add a tip for the ride. Maybe my guard was up but seemed pretty obvious he was trying to get me to tip him without outright asking.
I guess that's Vegas for you...

Have a buddy who drives Uber living in Highland Park. 95% of his calls are for RU students, mostly female, and typically drunk as he usually works nights/late nights. Said the best part of it is the stories he gets to hear/they tell him. He's married with kids so, obviously, this really makes him a happier person lol! Says he never has problems (fights, etc), has had to clean a puke or two and some food, but loves it and has been recommending to do it for spare cash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT