ADVERTISEMENT

OT: James Franklin Crying….

satnom

All American
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2002
About being in the middle of bubblef@ck and having to travel two hours to Harrisburg for an airport that has planes that can travel cross country without having to stop to refuel.

"So, the second part of your question is a big part of us leaving on Thursday is we cannot fly out of State College," Franklin told reporters in his Monday press conference. "That was a big part of our discussions with the Big Ten when all this thing (expansion to the West Coast) got started.

"Not only are we one of the most northeast schools, but based on runway length, size of plane, weight of plane, fuel on plane, we can't get out of here unless we would stop for fuel. So with that, we've got to fly out of Harrisburg."

Funny stuff.

GO RU

About being in the middle of bubblef@ck and having to travel two hours to Harrisburg for an airport that has planes that can travel cross country without having to stop to refuel.

"So, the second part of your question is a big part of us leaving on Thursday is we cannot fly out of State College," Franklin told reporters in his Monday press conference. "That was a big part of our discussions with the Big Ten when all this thing (expansion to the West Coast) got started.

"Not only are we one of the most northeast schools, but based on runway length, size of plane, weight of plane, fuel on plane, we can't get out of here unless we would stop for fuel. So with that, we've got to fly out of Harrisburg."

Funny stuff.

GO RU
He knows it's a pain in the ass to get out of Penntucky and he's right.

I'd make the same arguments if I were their coach. PSU has it way worse than us in this respect but that's life. EWR is 20-25 minutes from Piscataway where you can basically fly to anywhere in the world from. Another reason why we made perfect sense as an expansion candidate.

I'd make the same arguments if I were their coach. PSU has it way worse than us in this respect but that's life. EWR is 20-25 minutes from Piscataway where you can basically fly to anywhere in the world from. Another reason why we made perfect sense as an expansion candidate.
EWR may be closer, but every plane sits in line for 30-60 minutes waiting their turn to take off. Also flight paths into the 3 New York area airports add at least 30 minutes to every flight.
Flying out of Harrisburg, even with their 2 hour ride to the airport, may just result in a shorter overall trip to the west coast.

State College runway expansion project funding just became a top priority in Pennsylvania politics.
We’ll all have a nice little chuckle and then this will happen…
They make enough money on football to extend the runway.

960kel.jpg

So, this only applies to West Coast flights for them because of the fuel load? Not a huge impact in my opinion.

EWR may be closer, but every plane sits in line for 30-60 minutes waiting their turn to take off. Also flight paths into the 3 New York area airports add at least 30 minutes to every flight.
Flying out of Harrisburg, even with their 2 hour ride to the airport, may just result in a shorter overall trip to the west coast.
Even for charter flights? I've never been on a charter flight so I wouldn't know but it seems like they get some special perks.

I have never been on a plane that waited 30-60 minutes waiting for a turn to take off out of EWR. And I fly quite a bit.

Also, Rutgers flies out of Trenton for some games. RU has options that Penn State does not.

I have never been on a plane that waited 30-60 minutes waiting for a turn to take off out of EWR. And I fly quite a bit.

Also, Rutgers flies out of Trenton for some games. RU has options that Penn State does not.
I used to fly for work nearly every week. It’s quite common to wait in line for 30 minutes at EWR. And the roundabout flight paths on inbound flights ain’t no joke. Flights from the west drop below 10,000 ft and slow down at the Delaware Water Gap, then veer either north or south to get into the queue for landing. When I moved to NH , still flying most weeks, I was amazed how fast the flights were compared to EWR.

What a putz!
If Franklin doesn't like the situation, then find another coaching job.
So he is a putz for answering the reporters question? Should he just answer questions he likes? The reporter asked a direct question about the situation in the press conference. Just because the media chose to focus on that one answer doesn’t mean he was whining and complaining about it. You guys act like he was ranting about it. It was one of about 20 questions he answered from the media.

Here is the question the reporter asked:

Q: What's the rational for leaving on Thursday? Will you guys go from here or Harrisburg?

A:
So the second part of your question is a big part of us leaving on Thursday is, we cannot fly out of State College. That was a big part of our discussions with the Big Ten when this thing got started.

Not only are we one of the most northeast schools, but based on runway length, size of plane, weight of plane, fuel on plane, we can't get out of here unless we would stop for fuel. So with that, we've got to fly out of Harrisburg.

To me that's one of the things I think we have to discuss is, increasing the size of the runway here and the size of the airport, for a lot of reasons. For the university, for the community, for businesses, for the athletic department, and for us now that we've decided to make this move as a Big Ten. To me, that's something that we need to do for a lot of different reasons.

That's a big part of it is, you're talking about adding another two hours to your trip on top of the flight, and I think the flight is already five-and-a-half hours or whatever it may be. That's pretty much a full day. So that's one of the big reasons for leaving Thursday.

Feel good about our plan, but that's a big reason why, and that's something that I think we're going to need to look at addressing moving forward because it does change things for us compared to a lot of other teams in our conference that either even if they are northeast, they have an international airport and things like that within a short distance from campus. Kind of got the double whammy. It's the distance as well as the airport.

Reactions: mildone
A lot of folks don't like Penn State, and personally, I still haven't gotten past how the athletics were run there under Coach Paterno, but Coach Franklin's answer seemed legitimate to me. If the coach of our own favorite school said the same, we'd be shouting "Hell Yeah!"

This.
EWR is its own worst enemy. Only 1 runway for takeoffs and 1 runway for landings.
No other major top US Airport has this configuration. Always going sitting in the que at EWR for quite some time before departing. Experienced that a hundred times. ( particularly at rush hour mornings and early evenings.. note Scarlet 16E you must not be flying out of EWR at these times).

And this is why I started driving almost everywhere. Add in all that useless TSA time and rules designed to make you sit in airports and buy food and drink and driving and listening to podcasts became preferable.

Reactions: MrsScrew
So he is a putz for answering the reporters question? Should he just answer questions he likes? The reporter asked a direct question about the situation in the press conference. Just because the media chose to focus on that one answer doesn’t mean he was whining and complaining about it. You guys act like he was ranting about it. It was one of about 20 questions he answered from the media.

Here is the question the reporter asked:

Q: What's the rational for leaving on Thursday? Will you guys go from here or Harrisburg?

A:
So the second part of your question is a big part of us leaving on Thursday is, we cannot fly out of State College. That was a big part of our discussions with the Big Ten when this thing got started.

Not only are we one of the most northeast schools, but based on runway length, size of plane, weight of plane, fuel on plane, we can't get out of here unless we would stop for fuel. So with that, we've got to fly out of Harrisburg.

To me that's one of the things I think we have to discuss is, increasing the size of the runway here and the size of the airport, for a lot of reasons. For the university, for the community, for businesses, for the athletic department, and for us now that we've decided to make this move as a Big Ten. To me, that's something that we need to do for a lot of different reasons.

That's a big part of it is, you're talking about adding another two hours to your trip on top of the flight, and I think the flight is already five-and-a-half hours or whatever it may be. That's pretty much a full day. So that's one of the big reasons for leaving Thursday.

Feel good about our plan, but that's a big reason why, and that's something that I think we're going to need to look at addressing moving forward because it does change things for us compared to a lot of other teams in our conference that either even if they are northeast, they have an international airport and things like that within a short distance from campus. Kind of got the double whammy. It's the distance as well as the airport.
Yeah, I figured it was something like that as opposed to Franklin bringing it up to whine about it. And of course he's gonna advocate for folks donating to make the situation better. What coach wouldn't?

But fanbases need something/someone to make fun of, so... 😀

And this is why I started driving almost everywhere. Add in all that useless TSA time and rules designed to make you sit in airports and buy food and drink and driving and listening to podcasts became preferable.
Unless in a big hurry, I prefer to drive 'cause I enjoy driving so much. And I don't like airports.

But you seem to be saying you think some group somewhere got together and decided to intentionally arrange things such that people have to sit in airports for a long time (so they're forced to buy food and drink at the airports). Which sounds suspiciously like a conspiracy theory. 🤔

I'm just saying. 😀

I feel that if PSU had better fans, each player and coach would have their own private jet, and it would be a retired Hawker Harrier so it could take off and land from right in the parking lot next to their stadium. Bunch of cheapskates out there in PA is what they are.

The "TSA time" is a a huge pain in the rear, I agree. But I'm just wondering -- do you think all of the post 9-11 security measures are "useless"? Or just some of them?

There are a lot of jackasses in the world who have been duped to believe they will go to paradise if they manage to crash somebody else's plane. Sadly, I feel like most of what TSA does is not unnecessary. I don't fly that much, though, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...

The "TSA time" is a a huge pain in the rear, I agree. But I'm just wondering -- do you think all of the post 9-11 security measures are "useless"? Or just some of them?

There are a lot of jackasses in the world who have been duped to believe they will go to paradise if they manage to crash somebody else's plane. Sadly, I feel like most of what TSA does is not unnecessary. I don't fly that much, though, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...
Removing your belts and shoes seems to be problematic if we can scan through clothing.

Reactions: dconifer

Funny stuff.

GO RU

Is there a bigger putz in football than James Franklin?

Reactions: shields

plane cabin door lock.. great. not allowing you to pass security with a bottle of water or a coffee that you won't even carry onto a plane? Insane. Shoes off also. How many potential "shoe bombers" have been thwarted by that? I'd guess ZERO.

I think they should allow for roving bands of profilers able to do spot checks on people waiting for planes... but we have to all go through the nonsense so they are not accused of being racists for profiling certain people. That's nuts.

Meanwhile I have seen a number of videos about people who carried a 5-15 thousand dollars cash getting bushwacked by DEA roving agents with dogs who confiscate teh money after being tipped off by TSA as to who had cash with them. That's messed up.. that's Unreasonable Search and Seizure. Then you have to jump through hoops for months, even years, paying lawyers, just to have a chance to get your money back. Travelling with cash is perfectly legal. It is legal tender. There are times when cash helps.. think of the Helene victims. Auctions. Yeah.. there is a potential for it to be criminal sources or uses.. but go prove that and then THEN go find the guys travelling with that cash.

Then you have teh Tulsi Gabbard case.. she comes out for Trump and then she gets added to a super secret TSA special processing checklist.

Things are messed up, man. And the Patriot Act nonsense was what made it all possible... this abuse of our freedoms.

Last edited:

Never experienced a takeoff delay out of EWR.

Don't you guys have TSA Pre Check? We breeze through the lines with little wait (5 minutes at most). 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TRU2RU

Funny stuff.

GO RU
F that guy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT