ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Jersey Country Clubs

I belong to Brooklake CC in Florham park. Best golf deal in NJ. Very challenging course and solid and diverse membership. I was a member of a fancy equity country club for 14 years and I have found this to be a much better alternative

I once saw Fred Couples try to reach the long Par 5 (18?) in two shots. Came close, just a little short and left. Really nice course. The patio area is a great place to sit and watch players as I remember.

As I said earlier I'd love to have been a member of Essex Co CC. One of the oldest clubs in the US and a founding member of the USGA. Not particularly long but a true shotmakers/thinkers course. 6-9 and 11-15 are as nice as any combination of holes you'll find even though I think moving the tee on the short par 3 9th took something away from the challenge. 4 time major champion "Long Jim" Barnes was a member when I worked there. The guy was a god to us but in reality not a very pleasant old coot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteyd
Agreed that Royce Brook is a great place, but be careful. The club wants to plow over one of it's courses (they have 2) and sell it for a huge development. I believe they already applied to the Hillsborough planning board.

This is why I love these Boards. I've been a Golf Member at Royce Brook for about a year.... Had no idea this was happening. Anyway, it'll be a long way off. In the meantime I'll just enjoy playing at Royce Brook. It's a great place and affordably priced.

This is why I love these Boards. I've been a Golf Member at Royce Brook for about a year.... Had no idea this was happening. Anyway, it'll be a long way off. In the meantime I'll just enjoy playing at Royce Brook. It's a great place and affordably priced.
Even if it happens in a few years, they will still run the club, just with one course instead of two. But I'm sure such a development would make it less attractive to many.

Echo Lake is a very nice club. Has the whole package- restaurant, pool, tennis. The front 9 is shorter and tighter than the back 9. Colonia might be worth a look. Be wary of certain clubs, like Fox Hollow, which often book outings, thus closing the course to members on that day.

There are some courses like Liberty National where initial membership costs the same as a new house. There are some really famous courses where they are so set financially that membership is relatively cheap. I believe Pine Valley is one where it's the later.

For a long time I thought if I ever won the lottery I'd try to get in at the country club I worked at. Loved playing that course.
IIRC Pine Valley only cost about $25k to get in about ten years ago, and I think Somerset Hills ay have been less. The thing was, virtually nobody could get in. Hamilton Farms takes the opposite approach--about ten years ago it cost $250k to get in, and anybody could join if they had the cash. Consequently it had a diverse group of (affluent) members--black, white, Jew, Christian, male, female, and IMO had a fun atmosphere because of it. Not sure if it's changed since I played last.

Montclair CC is a nice place, and is diverse as well. Zap can speak to this better than I can.

Echo Lake is a great Club. Very good balance of golf course and family activities. They are finishing up their Rees Jones course redesign (about $10M) at the end of this year. I have never loved the first three holes (a course weakness in my opinion) but the redesign is apparently completely changing the first 4 holes..

Anybody know what the costs are for Echo Lake in Westfield?

Is there a bond and annual fees, etc? I'm not terribly familiar with how it works but I've been interested in learning more. Could never find that kind of info anywhere on google.

I'm in Monmouth county. Also been liking to join a full private or semi private club. Checked out Colts Neck CC. Want to check out Battleground and Bella Vista. Anyone know anything about those three?

Anybody know what the costs are for Echo Lake in Westfield?

Is there a bond and annual fees, etc? I'm not terribly familiar with how it works but I've been interested in learning more. Could never find that kind of info anywhere on google.

Most clubs offer a variety of membership alternatives. Most don't publish fees, though, so if you find one in your geographic range that sounds like it meets your needs (e.g., golf, pool, tennis, multiple courses, golf only, etc) you can contact them or a member if you know one and get more detail. Google generally doesn't work for specific fee info but a club's website will be useful to gauge what it offers. I have heard good things about Echo Lake but don't know the membership details. Lots of good choices out there!

I'm thinking of switching clubs since my current club is kinda dying financially and most of my friends have went elsewhere. I'm looking at North Jersey or Central Jersey clubs. Anyone have any sense of the memberships, including initiation and culture? Preferring something youngish and diverse. Obviously Bayonne would be out my price range and Baltusrol would be too hard to get an invite. But, I'm looking for good golf as well as a good family environment. TIA

Don't know where you live but if your drive to Princeton is a reasonable one then consider TPC Jasna Polana. As a founding member I highly recommend it.

https://tpc.com/jasnapolana/

WCTC runs a charity outing each summer.
Our foursome has played at Fiddlers Elbow, Metuchen, Royce Brook,
and Forsgate the last four years. It returns to Forsgate this Tuesday.
It is nice to play some courses we wouldn't normally play,
and supporting a good cause a plus. The charity being supported has varied from year to year...the Bee Foundation (childhood cancer)...St. Peters Medical Center pediatric center...etc... Playing a scramble is also a fun wrinkle.
Only problem for us is that we are all of an age to collect Social Security
and we can't compete with the young guys who bomb it out there.
Still fun with food and drinks and prizes at the after dinner/party.
Best food was at Fiddlers. Metuchen was disappointing in every way.

My niece is now the "Director of Fun" at Forsgate.
They make a real effort to have fun activities for the kids/families.

I'm thinking of switching clubs since my current club is kinda dying financially and most of my friends have went elsewhere. I'm looking at North Jersey or Central Jersey clubs. Anyone have any sense of the memberships, including initiation and culture? Preferring something youngish and diverse. Obviously Bayonne would be out my price range and Baltusrol would be too hard to get an invite. But, I'm looking for good golf as well as a good family environment. TIA
I'll ask the obvious question that no one else has asked....What club are you leaving that is dying financially?

Lots of great golf in NJ, we have an incredibly large amount of fabulous courses.

Being a member at Montclair for the last 25 years has spoiled me, no starting times and 4 nines allows us to play what seems like multiple courses.
nines 2 and 4 are the longest, nines 1 and 3 are the trickiest, I like the 1 and 4 combo…1 is shorter with undulating small lighting fast greens, 4 is long with fast big flat greens.

For me, it's about playing with my buddies, I turn down invites to play premier courses because who I play with is more important than where I play.

Last edited:
Montclair Golf Club is a great club. Zap can speak more to this. I have played in the Yogi Berra outing a few times. Lightning fast greens. Upper Montclair may be another club you would want to look at. 3 nines. Close to NYC.

The cost on average can run 3-8k annual on the lower end. At my club, one of the ones listed above, my run rate is about 25k annual all in which includes dinners and taking out clients and guests.

I actually learned how to play golf at Rutgers golf course. At the time, a round of golf for students was $4. I can't even buy a beer for $4 anymore... ha! I actually think Rutgers GC is a very good challenge. Also I think there are a lot of good muni and high end daily fee courses in NJ. Morris County, Somerset county, and Monmouth County have some of the best public tracks in NJ. Golf is an addiction that my wife wished I never learned how to play.

Where ever you decide to join... Good luck!
Montclair actually recently purchased Rock Spring in West Orange

I once saw Fred Couples try to reach the long Par 5 (18?) in two shots. Came close, just a little short and left. Really nice course. The patio area is a great place to sit and watch players as I remember.

As I said earlier I'd love to have been a member of Essex Co CC. One of the oldest clubs in the US and a founding member of the USGA. Not particularly long but a true shotmakers/thinkers course. 6-9 and 11-15 are as nice as any combination of holes you'll find even though I think moving the tee on the short par 3 9th took something away from the challenge. 4 time major champion "Long Jim" Barnes was a member when I worked there. The guy was a god to us but in reality not a very pleasant old coot.
Knightfan, what they've done to ECCC is amazing, you can play it from over 7000 yards now, removed 100s of trees and replaced them with fescue grass.
To me it's one of the states absolute best.
The Tarzan bridge on 11 is still there, 225 from the back tee.

Pine Valley has at times been voted by those who vote on those type of things as the top golf course in the world. You ain't getting in there. Some pros don't even get to play there.

I've only played there once. But I can attest that it's a phenomenal golfer's golf course.

Canoe brook in Summit. Fairmount in Chatham has gotten very nice and much younger over the last 10 years. I think there is a value proposition there. The course is a little short, but not bad.

Canoe brook in Summit. Fairmount in Chatham has gotten very nice and much younger over the last 10 years. I think there is a value proposition there. The course is a little short, but not bad.
Both very good courses for us choppers…even if you're a single digit handicap, I'm a 6 now, these courses are more than enough for us.

Knightfan, what they've done to ECCC is amazing, you can play it from over 7000 yards now, removed 100s of trees and replaced them with fescue grass.
To me it's one of the states absolute best.
The Tarzan bridge on 11 is still there, 225 from the back tee.

Wow. I worked there in the 60's and it was considered short back then, maybe 6100 yards. Par 70 for pros because of 8 and 16 being very short Par 5's. The Par 3's were fun with their variety of distances. 11 was my favorite hole on the course followed by 6 and 13. Tough walking up that hill on 18 carrying two bags that weighed more than I did:smiley:

Rock Spring was our home course in HS. Unfortunately I got kicked off the team before our first home match lol.

Both very good courses for us choppers…even if you're a single digit handicap, I'm a 6 now, these courses are more than enough for us.
I would say the golf at Conoe brook is better. I grew up in Summit and I always felt like fairmount was half ass. They now have an improved course, good clubhouse, food, pool, and Racquet stuff. It costs about half of Conoe brook now. The membership has also gotten much younger.

Rutgers should move the Rutgers Club to the Golf Course. Kills two birds with one stone with a new Rutgers Club and a new Golf Course clubhouse. Oh and extend the course to 6800 yards.

The course is getting a nice new clubhouse in the near future - would be a great partnership if it could work.

As a former assistant golf professional at Baltusrol 2000 to 2003. There are many great clubs in CNJ. If I were to join a good family club Canoe Brook would be at the top of my list. 36 hole layout great condition awesome membership.

I'm in Monmouth county. Also been liking to join a full private or semi private club. Checked out Colts Neck CC. Want to check out Battleground and Bella Vista. Anyone know anything about those three?

My cousin Chris Dzergoski is the head pro at Bella Vista they have a nice club house but it is a short course par 68 I think. I have not played it in many years but it was fun. The ownership has put a lot of money into the facility over the last 15 years.

Agreed.
Based on this thread I rescind my demands that Rutgers begin using the RU Golf course for football parking.

Instead, Rutgers should build a really swanky clubhouse next to the golf course and get all these guys to pay big bucks to become members!

Someone is going to make a fortune if they ever take some land near the course/stadium and build a hotel/conference/banquet center. Personally.. I think they should have taken Schiano's house as the Presidents new house and used the Presidents lawn and everything in that area for this use. Golf is a bit of a ride from there.. but they could work it out.

As a former assistant golf professional at Baltusrol 2000 to 2003. There are many great clubs in CNJ. If I were to join a good family club Canoe Brook would be at the top of my list. 36 hole layout great condition awesome membership.

Very cool. I followed Arnie who had the 1st tee time for 9 holes at the '80 Open walked around to different holes then followed Jack who had the last time in.

Is it true most actually favor the upper course over the lower course.

:D
Very cool. I followed Arnie who had the 1st tee time for 9 holes at the '80 Open walked around to different holes then followed Jack who had the last time in.

No way knightfan ...:D
Lower is expansive and majestic.
Upper is wonderful, but not as good...imo

6 is very impressive. But you have to disclose the gimme range. I find country club golf takes at least 4 strokes off my score. LOL

:D
No way knightfan ...:D
Lower is expansive and majestic.
Upper is wonderful, but not as good...imo
Any of you guys remember which one they used for the '93 Open?

Lower. They also used the Lower for the 2 PGA championships played at the club. The Upper has hosted the Women's Open, US Am, and I believe 1 Men's Open back in the 30's-40's.
Thank you. I couldn't remember what green I parked on in '93.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT