ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cost of shore rentals - will people continue to pay?

It’s not about the cost. You can’t pay me to get on a plane with my kids.
After one flight with my wife raking her nails into my arm and that was it. Let's just say some prescribed drugs are good. Kids on a Plane, sounds more like the title of a horror movie.

I’m a Caribbean/Key West kind of guy, as I’m an avid scuba diver, so I can’t see myself spending a whole week on the Jersey Shore.

For me, Sundays are my Jersey Shore day. Goto the River Rock Cafe in Brick and have lunch. Goto Belmar. Then goto the Dairy Queen in Belmar, which makes me happy as a clam. Get a sundae with gummy bears and walnuts and hot fudge. Then head home and back to reality.

Once in a while I visit my friend and his wife, who have a townhome on Ortley Beach, which is excellent.

I’m a Caribbean/Key West kind of guy, as I’m an avid scuba diver, so I can’t see myself spending a whole week on the Jersey Shore.

For me, Sundays are my Jersey Shore day. *Goto the River Rock Cafe in Brick and have lunch. Goto Belmar. +Then goto the Dairy Queen in Belmar, which makes me happy as a clam. Get a sundae with gummy bears and walnuts and hot fudge. Then head home and back to reality.

Once in a while I visit my friend and his wife, who have a townhome on Ortley Beach, which is excellent.
* Pretty sure that is very Rutgers friendly place, right?

+ Check out the miniature golf across the street. Great spot to wait out the traffic. Pretty sunsets too.

Reactions: rutgersal
February is peak season. 3k and I was on one of the nicest beaches on the planet. The point of this thread was to ask if people would continue to pay the ridiculously inflated prices to vacation at the Jersey shore and it appears this year the answer has been no based on articles. To each their own.
What’s the nicest beach on the planet?

After one flight with my wife raking her nails into my arm and that was it. Let's just say some prescribed drugs are good. Kids on a Plane, sounds more like the title of a horror movie.
1 kid not good at traveling and the whole thing is kablooey.

Reactions: koleszar
Years ago we shopped shore rentals and were like WTF!?

When we realized we could get airfare, a 3 bedroom condo on the water, food and supplies in Madeira Beach/John's Pass Fla. Cheaper than rental alone @ Jersey Shore, we never looked back. Don't regret it for one second.

Having a place in Clearwater we only do the barrier Island rental when we plan on a bunch of visitors to be together.

We're 10 mins from Clearwater Beach. I'm not much of a beach guy. The wife is the beach bum. I'm more a fishing and diving fan.
We've got family in Largo, so we've been doing the same thing forever. Madeira Beach, Treasure Island, Indian Rocks Beach, all up and down that strip.

You are a textbook Jersey shore guy that's why. Its massively overrated IMO. Love myself Spring Lake tho and Ocean City.
Hard to match the energy and diversity of options at the jersey shore. Whether it be food, bars, entertainment, etc. Fortunately its a car ride for us and dont even need to hop on a plane. I allocate about $20K/summer for a rental now. Nothing fancy, 2 bedroom condo from MDW to early August.

It was alot cheaper when id load into a house in squan or belmar with my friends for $3K/summer but unfortunately those (great) days are over

We know. Depending on where you fly and how many people, it’s still cheaper or about the same.
Out of curiosity what Caribbean location would be comparable including flights/food, for a group of 10. We have booked 4 BR in wildwood, beachfront in OBX and waterfront on Chesapeake all for around 6K a week in recent years. I love the Caribbean but didn’t think it’s possible to get 10 down there for cheap.

I’m trying to place her…

By the water? Next door? Boardwalk?
By the water. They're everywhere. Had a Spring Lake brother on the boat today, and was telling him how I don't go to the beach much because. . . . and that came up. It's funny because that day was my first foray onto the beach since covid because the boat supplanted the beach. Stay off my sand!! 😜

By the water. They're everywhere. Had a Spring Lake brother on the boat today, and was telling him how I don't go to the beach much because. . . . and that came up. It's funny because that day was my first foray onto the beach since covid because the boat supplanted the beach. Stay off my sand!! 😜
I found, “Excuse me, can you move. I can’t see the band” much more annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
February is peak season. 3k and I was on one of the nicest beaches on the planet. The point of this thread was to ask if people would continue to pay the ridiculously inflated prices to vacation at the Jersey shore and it appears this year the answer has been no based on articles. To each their own.
In OC rentals have been near capacity all summer until this week

For me, Sundays are my Jersey Shore day. Goto the River Rock Cafe in Brick and have lunch. Goto Belmar. Then goto the Dairy Queen in Belmar, which makes me happy as a clam. Get a sundae with gummy bears and walnuts and hot fudge. Then head home and back to reality.

Gummy bears in ice cream? Don’t they get hard?

I found, “Excuse me, can you move. I can’t see the band” much more annoying.
I'm still shaking my head that Gang Green was playing after my friend's band, and there was a dude with a platinum blond mohawk and another with a spiderweb tatoo on his neck for that show.

We've got family in Largo, so we've been doing the same thing forever. Madeira Beach, Treasure Island, Indian Rocks Beach, all up and down that strip.
I have family in Largo as well. We have a place in Clearwater. 10 mins from Clearwater Beach and abt 20 from Madiera.
Love the area.
Our first trip there was @ Tradewinds. The place RU ended up staying when we played the bowl in Tampa.
Done John's Pass/Madeira a bunch of times with big groups. Fourth of July is great.

It all depends what you're looking for

We never had a family house down the shore so we don't have the emotional attachment some do

Also, we went different places as kids (Jersey shore, Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, Florida) that had beaches, so we got to see some different places and what their beach scene was like

Also, we live 20 minutes via back roads from Manasquan / Spring Lake / Sea Girt, so we can go there on a whim

I like the feeling of flying somewhere. As kids, we drove and it sucked. Flying feels to me like you're officially "on vacation." We try to grab the earliest flight possible to avoid any mishaps (delays, weather, etc.) on airlines and at airports where there's ample backup plans in case something happens, and not one flight per day

The only beaches in NJ I'd vacation at would be the aforementioned 3 above plus Brigantine, Stone Harbor, or Avalon. We'd have to get a ridiculously good deal and it would be 3/4 days max

All in for 3 people with flights, rental car and beach front condo for 8 days at Marco Island was 3,500. Spending money got us for another $1500 (dinners, groceries, excursions, wave runners, etc.) so 5k all in is what we spent

It truly felt like a vacation, the flight was 2.5 hours, easy in easy out from EWR-RSW. Yes, it gets hot from Noon-4. Buddy got us into the JW beach/pool for a few days, also TigerTail Beach, dolphin swimming in Miami and airboat tour in everglades. Also rented waverunners, and just went in the gulf for 3-4 hours a day

Dinners on 5th Ave in Naples are pricey, but super nice. Looking at Sarasota / Siesta Key next time, or Sanibel Island (South Seas Plantation) if it's rebuilt by then. South Seas was our first choice but it got crushed by Hurriance last year
Sorry but Florida in August is NOT a vacation it is torture

I have family in Largo as well. We have a place in Clearwater. 10 mins from Clearwater Beach and abt 20 from Madiera.
Love the area.
Our first trip there was @ Tradewinds. The place RU ended up staying when we played the bowl in Tampa.
Done John's Pass/Madeira a bunch of times with big groups. Fourth of July is great.
Was that the 2009 Beef O'Bradys Bowl- in St Petersburg?

Love the area.
Rented a boat from John’s Pass, and took it down to shell key. Had a blast.

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
Out of curiosity what Caribbean location would be comparable including flights/food, for a group of 10. We have booked 4 BR in wildwood, beachfront in OBX and waterfront on Chesapeake all for around 6K a week in recent years. I love the Caribbean but didn’t think it’s possible to get 10 down there for cheap.
10ppl in 4br is rough. But yeah for $6k and 10ppl, tough to do that anywhere down there.

In OC rentals have been near capacity all summer until this week
Yeah, we heard that rentals are down a bit this summer, so we're debating doing another week in September (did Memorial Day week this year, for a change - right on the boardwalk, which was nice). Liked MDW, but love September - especially the warmer water and less crowded...

Hard to match the energy and diversity of options at the jersey shore. Whether it be food, bars, entertainment, etc. Fortunately its a car ride for us and dont even need to hop on a plane. I allocate about $20K/summer for a rental now. Nothing fancy, 2 bedroom condo from MDW to early August.

It was alot cheaper when id load into a house in squan or belmar with my friends for $3K/summer but unfortunately those (great) days are over
$20K for the summer? That's less than $2K per week - are you renting 5 miles inland in Pleasantville next to the White Castle?

Sorry but Florida in August is NOT a vacation it is torture
We don't mind the heat

Certainly wish it were cooler, but for the location and price, plus the options of many things to do, fantastic restaurants, the 5th Ave vice, etc. it worked well

The one thing we learned is to get a good sized house (with a pool), even if it's a few blocks away from the beach. Going out every night isn't ideal, and we like having ample space to lounge out and relax

We are booked for Hawaii next March (Oahu). Any advice? First time with the little one. We decided not to island hop and really experience Oahu. Seems like we can fill up 8-9 days in a blink of an eye.

We also love Bermuda, but our Fairmont Southamption is going through major renovations. May not reopen until 2025/2026.
Hanauma bay has great snorkeling, as does Turtle Cave and some excursions out on a boat. The North Shore has some big waves and is less built up. Pearl Harbour is great and spend the whole day there. Sunset cocktail cruises are nice. Waikiki is pretty built up and is experiencing some “big city problem.” Some beaches on the west side of the island aren’t as built up. You’ll have a blast but for us, Oahu isn’t as nice as Maui, or Kawaii.

Reactions: Leonard23
Hanauma bay has great snorkeling, as does Turtle Cave and some excursions out on a boat. The North Shore has some big waves and is less built up. Pearl Harbour is great and spend the whole day there. Sunset cocktail cruises are nice. Waikiki is pretty built up and is experiencing some “big city problem.” Some beaches on the west side of the island aren’t as built up. You’ll have a blast but for us, Oahu isn’t as nice as Maui, or Kawaii.
Have you ever been to Lanai? We are booked for Ko Olina, so not in the city. Very excited to explore the north shore and see Waimea and the pipeline. Definitely a few private charters to book as well. All the traditional sights are a must, including Pearl Harbor.

Have you ever been to Lanai? We are booked for Ko Olina, so not in the city. Very excited to explore the north shore and see Waimea and the pipeline. Definitely a few private charters to book as well. All the traditional sights are a must, including Pearl Harbor.
Have not been to Lanai but I hear it’s beautiful. I’m sure we’d love it because we like less crowds and more of a smaller exclusive hotel rather than huge resorts.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I'm sure in some places the articles are correct. But I can tell you from first hand experience in Sea Isle the following:

22 peak rates 6700
23 peak rates 8000 (June/July, August) completely booked end of August.
24 peak rates 9k+ (June/July/Aug) is already booked, inquiries started in Jan for 2024 season.
We also book most of May and all of Sept. We could get October weeks but choose not to.

Our house is not big, is not beach front and only sleeps 10 and our guests are typically two small families. I see things leveling off, they have to, but I don't see things going down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT