ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cost of shore rentals - will people continue to pay?

How much for a "decent" house. Maybe standards have been raised, and to each their own, but could not imagine dropping $4K, and certainly never $6K for a one week rental.
You get what you pay for - house, location, clientele, experience.

I think what happened is during and post pandemic people weren't traveling and if they took a vacation it was close to home. The shore real estate folks used that to charge ungodly prices for rentals. Now people are vacationing far away from home again but owners are refusing to bring prices back to pre pandemic levels.
We added weeks to our vacations in 2020, 2021, and 2022. Back to normal this season. You are right, prices haven't gone down, but that may take a year or two to settle.

Funny enough, we are scheduling another trip down to Cayman in November. I am pretty sure I might buy down there. Just a matter of when. Barrier to entry is much higher than the Jersey shore, though. So I feel pretty poor lol.

Reactions: rutgersal
How much for a "decent" house? Maybe standards have been raised, and to each their own, but could not imagine dropping $4K, and certainly never $6K for a one week rental.
On LBI- $7500 for a nice spot on the bay in the prime months. $10k plus for something on the beach block. A 5 bedroom beach block house is likely $15k and above. I had a neighbor who decided to rent his house one year for the month of July at $30k/week. He spent a month in Italy for a fraction of that. Crazy prices indeed. Best time to go would be September to get well under those prices.

Water did seem more clear this year. Are you sure it’s sting rays? I think it’s flounders. people were fishing off the beach and catching them.
They were rays (maybe skates, not sure what exact kind they were; they were timid and would swim around/away from you). I don't think anyone will mistaken a NJ beach for the Caribbean but that doesn't mean NJ beaches aren't great/ have a different kind of beauty.

Joe P.

We go to PPB after Labor Day as my daughter is still not school age. Used to do Cape May for two weeks bc it’s only like 5 day vacation when you do the Saturday to Saturday vacation. The cost and the work to schlep everything down there have become the major deterrent to doing this again.

Mexico or DR higher end all inclusive is a way better deal. Would much rather spend on a kid friendly resort with activities and a waterpark.

Love Aruba too, the restaurants are so damn good. Never do an all inclusive there.

On LBI- $7500 for a nice spot on the bay in the prime months. $10k plus for something on the beach block. A 5 bedroom beach block house is likely $15k and above. I had a neighbor who decided to rent his house one year for the month of July at $30k/week. He spent a month in Italy for a fraction of that. Crazy prices indeed. Best time to go would be September to get well under those prices.
We pay $25k for a week in September on LBI. Ocean front with a beautiful pool and layout. We invite 10or so friends and have a blast. For us, it’s worth it and why we worked so hard for many years. To his his own, though.

How much for a "decent" house? Maybe standards have been raised, and to each their own, but could not imagine dropping $4K, and certainly never $6K for a one week rental.
$4k you can’t really find, and if you do it hasn’t been updated since the 70’s or has a really weird layout.

$6k is a little dated and the beds are probably a bit lumpy

Any sort of Caribbean equivalent would be $10k+

Last edited:
I would take that over going into fecal bacteria waters that you can’t see your toes in two feet of it then to add the insult to injury of actually having to pay to access the beach. Don’t even want to talk about parking.

Having grown up in NJ, never understood the summer craze to go “down the shore” to sit in traffic for “meh” beaches. I can think of 50 other beaches up and down the east coast or a 2-3 hour plane ride away that gives you greater value in a number of ways for the money spend on you and family. Don’t get me wrong enjoyed going to visit Belmar, Pt. Pleasant, Wildwood and Cape May when crowds were bearable midweek but I’d rather drive to Del, VA beach, OBX, SC, South FL, or fly to Caribbean any day of the week than pay premium for mediocre beach culture driven up in price by Manhattanites.

GO RU
Have you ever been to Island Beach State Park? It’s absolutely beautiful. You lost me when you said Delaware beaches. Yellow, coarse sand and a sharp drop off is not my idea of beautiful beaches and the water is no different than NJ

Just wrapping up a week in Brigantine with my entire family.

1 and 1/2 block from the beach. 4 bedroom, 4 full bath, dining room table that sat 10, multiple decks and a lift from the ground to 3rd floor.

$4,500 (split 4 ways)

The house had basically everything we needed and don’t think we could find a better deal.

Renting a house for $10K - $25K down the Jersey shore for a week is sickening to me but to each their own.

Last edited:
Just wrapping up a week in Brigantine with the family.

1 and 1/2 block from the beach. 4 bedroom, 4 full bath, dining room table that sat 10, multiple decks and a lift from the ground to 3rd floor.

$4,500.

The house had basically everything we needed and don’t think we could find a better deal.

Renting a house for $10K - $25K down the Jersey shore for a week is sickening to me but to each their own.
Once you discover you can travel to much nicer places for that price or less you'll never go back.

Reactions: satnom
$4k you can’t really find, and if you do it hasn’t been updated since the 70’s or has a really weird layout.

I was in Cayman for 5 days in February for 3k. Going back in November and might spend 4k to stay in a nicer place. Family of 4.

Sure if I wanted to stay in the Westin and pay $1400 a month it would be more but you don't need to do that.

Funny enough, we are scheduling another trip down to Cayman in November. I am pretty sure I might buy down there. Just a matter of when. Barrier to entry is much higher than the Jersey shore, though. So, I feel pretty poor lol.
I have no concern at all that you'll get there my good man. 👍

Reactions: RUskoolie
Once you discover you can travel to much nicer places for that price or less you'll never go back.

Nope….I should have clarified that this was $4,500 split between my entire family (4 ways)….so a little over $1,000 for a full week down the shore.

I do other traveling besides the Jersey shore but there’s really no where you can take a family for a week at that rate….which is why I think it can’t be beat.

Now if we dropped $8 - 15K total on a house for the week I would agree with you.

Have you ever been to Island Beach State Park? It’s absolutely beautiful. You lost me when you said Delaware beaches. Yellow, coarse sand and a sharp drop off is not my idea of beautiful beaches and the water is no different than NJ
It’s funny you mention. Yes. Very nice and rustic. Water was surprisingly clear. Del has some nice beaches. It’s no Atlantic City. Yuck.

In the NE, I actually liked going to Robert Moses beach on Long Island as a kid. Pay for parking and no head count for charge to access water. Quiet. No board walk and relaxing to enjoy with family.

GO RU

I just got back from Italy. While beautiful, nothing quite beats the jersey shore. Yes, yes, call me crazy

You do realize our water is not blue/green and murky because it's dirty, right? Instead, you do know it's nutrient rich (like plankton) because it's cooler. Where as Carribean waters are basically ocean deserts devoid of any nutrients. Also, our Ocean floor is a fine dark silt as opposed to a coarse light-colored coral. Not only color differences but, fine silt kicks up during waves and is suspended the other does not. You knew all this right?
I’m aware that sand, sediment, and particles play a role on how water looks. That being said, please don’t compare the quality of beach waters of NJ with any beach in the Caribbean. They just don’t compare.

GO RU

Reactions: RUskoolie
It all depends what you're looking for

We never had a family house down the shore so we don't have the emotional attachment some do

Also, we went different places as kids (Jersey shore, Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, Florida) that had beaches, so we got to see some different places and what their beach scene was like

Also, we live 20 minutes via back roads from Manasquan / Spring Lake / Sea Girt, so we can go there on a whim

I like the feeling of flying somewhere. As kids, we drove and it sucked. Flying feels to me like you're officially "on vacation." We try to grab the earliest flight possible to avoid any mishaps (delays, weather, etc.) on airlines and at airports where there's ample backup plans in case something happens, and not one flight per day

The only beaches in NJ I'd vacation at would be the aforementioned 3 above plus Brigantine, Stone Harbor, or Avalon. We'd have to get a ridiculously good deal and it would be 3/4 days max

All in for 3 people with flights, rental car and beach front condo for 8 days at Marco Island was 3,500. Spending money got us for another $1500 (dinners, groceries, excursions, wave runners, etc.) so 5k all in is what we spent

It truly felt like a vacation, the flight was 2.5 hours, easy in easy out from EWR-RSW. Yes, it gets hot from Noon-4. Buddy got us into the JW beach/pool for a few days, also TigerTail Beach, dolphin swimming in Miami and airboat tour in everglades. Also rented waverunners, and just went in the gulf for 3-4 hours a day

Dinners on 5th Ave in Naples are pricey, but super nice. Looking at Sarasota / Siesta Key next time, or Sanibel Island (South Seas Plantation) if it's rebuilt by then. South Seas was our first choice but it got crushed by Hurriance last year

I was in Cayman for 5 days in February for 3k. Going back in November and might spend 4k to stay in a nicer place. Family of 4.

Sure if I wanted to stay in the Westin and pay $1400 a month it would be more but you don't need to do that.

It all depends what you're looking for

We never had a family house down the shore so we don't have the emotional attachment some do

Also, we went different places as kids (Jersey shore, Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, Florida) that had beaches, so we got to see some different places and what their beach scene was like

Also, we live 20 minutes via back roads from Manasquan / Spring Lake / Sea Girt, so we can go there on a whim

I like the feeling of flying somewhere. As kids, we drove and it sucked. Flying feels to me like you're officially "on vacation." We try to grab the earliest flight possible to avoid any mishaps (delays, weather, etc.) on airlines and at airports where there's ample backup plans in case something happens, and not one flight per day

The only beaches in NJ I'd vacation at would be the aforementioned 3 above plus Brigantine, Stone Harbor, or Avalon. We'd have to get a ridiculously good deal and it would be 3/4 days max

All in for 3 people with flights, rental car and beach front condo for 8 days at Marco Island was 3,500. Spending money got us for another $1500 (dinners, groceries, excursions, wave runners, etc.) so 5k all in is what we spent

It truly felt like a vacation, the flight was 2.5 hours, easy in easy out from EWR-RSW. Yes, it gets hot from Noon-4. Buddy got us into the JW beach/pool for a few days, also TigerTail Beach, dolphin swimming in Miami and airboat tour in everglades. Also rented waverunners, and just went in the gulf for 3-4 hours a day

Dinners on 5th Ave in Naples are pricey, but super nice. Looking at Sarasota / Siesta Key next time, or Sanibel Island (South Seas Plantation) if it's rebuilt by then. South Seas was our first choice but it got crushed by Hurriance last year

You guys are comparing peak season Jersey Shore pricing (July -Aug) to low season pricing in FL and Cayman. Sure you may have the flexibility to travel those times so it may not matter but its not apples to apples comparisons.

How much are those weeks around Christmas or Spring Break?

You guys are comparing peak season Jersey Shore pricing (July -Aug) to low season pricing in FL and Cayman. Sure you may have the flexibility to travel those times so it may not matter but its not apples to apples comparisons.

Insanely ridiculous peak season in FL gulf coast
OTTOMH, likely equal to or great to NJ

Which, absent of a college football national championship or Italian soccer world cup, I would not spend that kind of $ (likely north of 10k all in)

I posted earlier the huge villa in Virgin Gorda- pool, on the beach, room for 12 at 12k for a week.
So much better deal.

Know spring lake very very well. In spring lake this is the weakest year for rentals since 2019. And off season rentals are not happeneing.

Everyone in Europe this summer.

It's weird because shore properties are up massively post covid but rents this year are down to almost pre covid levels. . No brainer to rent vs buy.
Can you rent a place in Spring Lake for a few midweek days in the off season? What would the cost per night range be? I might be interested in doing that for an extended family of five people total (all adults). I don't need to be near the water, but want to be in or near the town.

It’s wild to me that people pay those prices when you could go to the Caribbean for the same and be guaranteed good weather.
Winter is great in the Caribbean but summer is the rainy season for many islands. I spent 2 weeks there for my honeymoon and it rained every single day.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
if you have to fly somewhere, the calculus changes when you have a family or multiple families. that could double your cost not to mention the headache.

Reactions: S_Janowski
I’m aware that sand, sediment, and particles play a role on how water looks. That being said, please don’t compare the quality of beach waters of NJ with any beach in the Caribbean. They just don’t compare.

GO RU
The comparison was made to show blue/green water is not dirty like you think. Simply environmental factors which make it so. You seemed to associate not clear with dirty.

Last edited:
We pay $25k for a week in September on LBI. Ocean front with a beautiful pool and layout. We invite 10or so friends and have a blast. For us, it’s worth it and why we worked so hard for many years. To his his own, though.
+1
That's the going rate for SH near the beach - new house with a pool and nice backyard. Plenty of room to invite over friends and family. Been doing it for 15 years and loving it more and more.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
NJ beaches are fine. Locals know where to go to avoid crowds and problems. Gulf Coast beaches are pretty at sunset but boring AF. And the same types of problems exist as in NJ beaches from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. The propensity of Jersey people to shit on Jersey is funny
And the traffic getting to DE beaches is worse many times.
It’s not about the cost. You can’t pay me to get on a plane with my kids.
My kids have flown for many years since they were 18 months old and never much of an issue.
+1
Caribbean needs to be on season (Dec thru Mar). Otherwise, it is hot, humid, rainy, and buggy. No thanks!

Not for Aruba. It's the best because of the trade winds so it's virtually never too hot and humid or buggy. And the food can't be beat.

And the traffic getting to DE beaches is worse many times.

My kids have flown for many years since they were 18 months old and never much of an issue.

Not for Aruba. It's the best because of the trade winds so it's virtually never too hot and humid or buggy. And the food can't be beat.
How many kids do you have?

You can get a 2 BR condo in Key West with Gulf views in FEB/MAR for about $4600 a week. Pool and walkable to Duvall and all the other spots in KW. Sheets provided lol

Don’t get me wrong on my previous comment. We love to travel and in addition to LBI we do annual vacations with our favorite places in addition to LBI being The Reefs in Bermuda and Somerset in Turks on Grace Bay. Like Hawaii too and been there 10-12 times but long flight and lots of homeless problems that evolved over the past few decades.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Don’t get me wrong on my previous comment. We love to travel and in addition to LBI we do annual vacations with our favorite places in addition to LBI being The Reefs in Bermuda and Somerset in Turks on Grace Bay. Like Hawaii too and been there 10-12 times but long flight and lots of homeless problems that evolved over the past few decades.
We are booked for Hawaii next March (Oahu). Any advice? First time with the little one. We decided not to island hop and really experience Oahu. Seems like we can fill up 8-9 days in a blink of an eye.

We also love Bermuda, but our Fairmont Southamption is going through major renovations. May not reopen until 2025/2026.

February is peak season. 3k and I was on one of the nicest beaches on the planet. The point of this thread was to ask if people would continue to pay the ridiculously inflated prices to vacation at the Jersey shore and it appears this year the answer has been no based on articles. To each their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT