ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cost of shore rentals - will people continue to pay?

I'm a stickler for stone work and detail. @koleszar is the company to hire if you want perfection and cleanliness.
Well, for a week in Virgin Gorda at this Villa- I wasn't all that worried about it. lol We also got the upper bedroom suite in the separate detached bldg. It had a indoor/outdoor shower too.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Jerry after school starts back up it's awesome. Every dickwad has gone back home to menace their neighborhood. During the summer driving skills and IQ's tend to drop, as we get invaded by what seems like every high school dropout from Pennsylvania to New York sprinkled in with some North Jerseyans.
Genuine question, I've always assumed the best perks of living at the beach are the easy access to all the great beach activities but primarily fun in the sun, swimming, etc. If during the summer, the time when it's best to do these things it gets so overcrowded and miserable, what's the appeal of living at the shore? I'm serious here, I can't image the beach being a very desirable place to live during the offseason when half the town shuts down and the beach is full of excavators doing erosion control

Genuine question, I've always assumed the best perks of living at the beach are the easy access to all the great beach activities but primarily fun in the sun, swimming, etc. If during the summer, the time when it's best to do these things it gets so overcrowded and miserable, what's the appeal of living at the shore? I'm serious here, I can't image the beach being a very desirable place to live during the offseason when half the town shuts down and the beach is full of excavators doing erosion control
You learn ways to get around all of that..different roads, different times, etc.

Most places now, as mentioned earlier, don’t close up shop either.

Can only speak to living on LBI in the summer but I never felt that it was all that crowded. The lack of public parking in most areas leaves plenty of space on the beaches. Sure the restaurants and bars are more crowded in the summer, but you can work around that and find ways to get to your favorite places with a little planning. Most places stay open into September (and more recently October), so there are some places we'd leave to the fall to go to avoid any crowds. I personally enjoyed the winter months too. Less is open, but that still leaves a lively crowd at the places that do stay open.

Reactions: newell138
This thread has done a lot to solidify the idea that I prefer to look at my beaches from the other side.
239908023_10225494560615715_1369689614095271317_n.jpg
Saw about 40-50 of these guys in Bol on Brač a few weeks ago. Every year they have these yacht weeks that take up almost every inch of docking space. Then they go like 6 deep (it’s a tiny little town, lol). They do look cool though.

Reactions: RU4Real
best time to vacation anywhere is the week following schools opening. Wife and I did the Moon Palace in Jamaica on the wee after and while you don't save $$$, what you do get is a resort that still has all of their workers and full activities but almost only half full. No worrying about where to get dinner or pool/beach being too crowded etc

Shore house prices, like all real estate prices, reflect supply and demand.

Over the past generation, few housing units have been added in true Shore communities, such as Long Beach Island. Most building involves replacing an existing housing unit, not adding to the overall supply of units.

At the same time, the population of the Shore's catchment area has grown by millions. People buying or renting homes at the New Jersey Shore come from the New York and Philadelphia metro areas.

The New York metro, which covers the northern half of New Jersey, has grown by 3.3 million people since 1990. The Philly metro includes the southern half of New Jersey and has added 800,000 people.

Millions more people. Few new Shore homes. Add to that a surge in wealth over the past 30 years. What happens to real estate prices in this environment? Boom!

Perhaps disgruntled Shore renters should consider the southern coast of Rhode Island, specifically Westerly, Charlestown, South Kingstown, and Narragansett. Best beaches in New England, a lot less expensive than NJ Shore, though not much of a party scene. Getting there takes about the same amount of time as traveling to Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City, Maryland.

Shore house prices, like all real estate prices, reflect supply and demand.

Over the past generation, few housing units have been added in true Shore communities, such as Long Beach Island. Most building involves replacing an existing housing unit, not adding to the overall supply of units.

At the same time, the population of the Shore's catchment area has grown by millions. People buying or renting homes at the New Jersey Shore come from the New York and Philadelphia metro areas.

The New York metro, which covers the northern half of New Jersey, has grown by 3.3 million people since 1990. The Philly metro includes the southern half of New Jersey and has added 800,000 people.

Millions more people. Few new Shore homes. Add to that a surge in wealth over the past 30 years. What happens to real estate prices in this environment? Boom!

This

I'll add I spoke to my adjuster after Sandy...a) it's not like they're just building more oceanfront b) people have short memories and c) rich guys always need a place to park their boats

Glad I kept the house

That access gives you flexibility to go when you want, incl when crowds are lower ... weekdays, evenings, mornings, September.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Perhaps disgruntled Shore renters should consider the southern coast of Rhode Island, specifically Westerly, Charlestown, South Kingstown, and Narragansett. Best beaches in New England, a lot less expensive than NJ Shore, though not much of a party scene. Getting there takes about the same amount of time as traveling to Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City, Maryland.
I've always been intrigued by that area

How are the beaches?
Sandy like NJ or rocky?
Went to Mass last year mid August and the water was freezing - assume it's the same in RI, possibly a bit warmer as it's south of there?

Reactions: newell138
Hey, Yessir.

I can only speak for myself, but it's always good for me in the summer (Atlantic City). I can walk to the beach. I kind of like having lots of people around once there, even though I don't interact with them. I don't mind the crowds at all.

In the winter, if/when they are doing the beach replenishing, it's just one section at a time, and the beach is still walkable. Parking is just a bit easier then (although I poured a driveway over my postage stamp grass lawn, so I have off-street parking).

I know a lot of people complain about visitors, but it's never bothered me at all. I realize that Atlantic City is likely not the place you're talking about, but I thought I'd answer the best I can with what I have...

Typing this from the couch down the shore. Jersey shore will always be hot. I got a small place after sandy. When I was much younger and less established. Market was crap then. Big entry point. Parents got an awesome beach bungalow 2 years ago. IMO stole the place.

Also as someone else pointed out. Lots of successful people on the board. We went to Rutgers and if your wife or husband also works and does well it’s gravy. Can easily swing a jersey shore week and a Disney trip in the same year.
I have a family friend who bought a pretty much new place right after Sandy in Mantoloking for ~300-350k. They rent it out during the summer for 7500-8000 a week.

Reactions: hankee18
This was our exact decision too. We went last year when my boys were 7 and 5. It was a perfect age. We stayed at Animal Kingdom and did it right. But that's it. Maybe when they're in high school, we'll do it again.
We went when the girls were about the same age. Great trip, stayed at Polynesian. Went again with one of them and some cousins when they were in HS and still had a lot of fun

If you have young kids and get down near Egg Harbor check out Storybrook Land. Great experience - clean, moderate to light crowds, plenty of shade, you can bring food in, reasonable prices, and perfect rides for young kids. They don't hit you over the head trying to sell stuff everywhere. Worth a day trip from anywhere in NJ.
My daughter brings her kindergarten class there on a class trip each year and she loves it. This coming from a kid who grew up going to 6 flags every week

Reactions: hankee18
Been in OC since 2009 and it’s the best thing we ever did. It’s only crowded on weekends and you get used to it. Great place to raise kids and honestly I love the fall and winter here. So peaceful. If you have never walked a beach on a sunny February day with no one in sight I highly recommend. Sometimes even in the summer I can walk the beach in the evening and only see a couple people. Beach replenishment is only every 6-7 years and it’s pretty cool to watch

This

I'll add I spoke to my adjuster after Sandy...a) it's not like they're just building more oceanfront b) people have short memories and c) rich guys always need a place to park their boats

Glad I kept the house
“It’s not like they’re just building more oceanfront” - 1000% this.

This

Glad I kept the house
The people I rent from bought in 2006. They never got close to break even until the pandemic spike. People‘s memories are not that short. They just need an another reason to buy.

I've always been intrigued by that area

How are the beaches?
Sandy like NJ or rocky?
Went to Mass last year mid August and the water was freezing - assume it's the same in RI, possibly a bit warmer as it's south of there?

The Jersey Shore is an endless stretch of sand facing east stretching 100+ miles. RI's coastline is mostly rocky and small cliffs, with the beaches in between facing south or east. The towns I mentioned, with the exception of Narragansett, are more beach than rock. Narragansett and Newport is more rock than beach.

In Rhode Island, people who go to the beach are there to relax on the sand and swim. In the afternoon, they go home, not to the bar or nightclub. When I went to the Jersey Shore with college friends, most of my friends had no interest in the actual beach or swimming, they were there for the bars and nightlife. I couldn't drag them to the beach. Makes sense because many of them can't swim.

Rhode Island is more about the sand and water, the Jersey Shore is more about the entertainment.

Like NJ, RI beaches and sea floors next to the beaches are sandy.

Not sure what beach you went to in Massachusetts. If it was along the Cape Cod National Seashore, the water temps there are 5-10 degrees colder than the Rhode Island ocean beaches. Right now, Cape Cod National Seashore is in mid 60s. Rhode Island is in mid 70s, which felt like a record high when I was there this weekend.

“It’s not like they’re just building more oceanfront” - 1000% this.
True. Doesn't mean more housing units can't be built. Just build up. Witness South Florida. Jersey Shore towns, with the exception of Atlantic City, won't let this happen.

Reactions: dengodd
I'm a stickler for stone work and detail. @koleszar is the company to hire if you want perfection and cleanliness.
That's pretty ugly,. You can't imagine some of the stone my customers try to pick out. I just look at them and go "NO". I get it, not many people have an artistic view, but from years of working with this crap I know what looks good and am brutally honest with them.

Women are tough, they all think they're Joanna Gaines and don't want to listen to someone who's done this sh*t for 30 yrs.. One DIY project and they think they should have their own show on HG-TV. One women now, she's got 4 colors going on, I looked at my builder and said, "What are we going for, Dr. Seuss's Nightmare?".

@yesrutgers01 I just struck me, who puts a tea pot as an amenity?

Last edited:
Like @e5fdny said, you know ways around outsiders don't. Places to go when the crowds are somewhere else. Towns really don't close down just places outsiders visit, like D'Jais or Parker House, places I never would consider anyway. To tell you the truth, the major headache is just assholery driving.

Like @e5fdny said, you know ways around outsiders don't. Places to go when the crowds are somewhere else. Towns really don't close down just places outsiders visit, like D'Jais or Parker House, places I never would consider anyway. To tell you the truth, the major headache is just assholery driving.
Prime example…have a very talented nephew and the whole family went to see him play at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park.

Like almost every beach town the crosswalks have signage about pedestrians and how they have the right of way.

Family, including my 80yr old MIL, in the crosswalk on Ocean Avenue and some guy, who was way down the block and could clearly see us, never stops.

He and his gf/wife were the only people on the road, daytime, clear visibility.

Reactions: koleszar
Prime example…have a very talented nephew and the whole family went to see him play at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park.

Like almost every beach town the crosswalks have signage about pedestrians and how they have the right of way.

Family, including my 80yr old MIL, in the crosswalk on Ocean Avenue and some guy, who was way down the block and could clearly see us, never stops.

He and his gf/wife were the only people on the road, daytime, clear visibility.
It's been a while, but I used to slap the fender of such cars hard as they passed. If the driver stopped, I would say, let me call the police, cause you ran into a pedestrian in the cross walk, and we can settle this. They would keep driving.

The Jersey Shore is an endless stretch of sand facing east stretching 100+ miles. RI's coastline is mostly rocky and small cliffs, with the beaches in between facing south or east. The towns I mentioned, with the exception of Narragansett, are more beach than rock. Narragansett and Newport is more rock than beach.

In Rhode Island, people who go to the beach are there to relax on the sand and swim. In the afternoon, they go home, not to the bar or nightclub. When I went to the Jersey Shore with college friends, most of my friends had no interest in the actual beach or swimming, they were there for the bars and nightlife. I couldn't drag them to the beach. Makes sense because many of them can't swim.

Rhode Island is more about the sand and water, the Jersey Shore is more about the entertainment.

Like NJ, RI beaches and sea floors next to the beaches are sandy.

Not sure what beach you went to in Massachusetts. If it was along the Cape Cod National Seashore, the water temps there are 5-10 degrees colder than the Rhode Island ocean beaches. Right now, Cape Cod National Seashore is in mid 60s. Rhode Island is in mid 70s, which felt like a record high when I was there this weekend.

I think people out on Cape Cod are going to start getting eaten fairly soon.

It's been a while, but I used to slap the fender of such cars hard as they passed. If the driver stopped, I would say, let me call the police, cause you ran into a pedestrian in the cross walk, and we can settle this. They would keep driving.

Next time I'll actually hit you. 😋

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Luckily we were on the other side of the stop sign in the middle or that was the plan.

The people I rent from bought in 2006. They never got close to break even until the pandemic spike. People‘s memories are not that short. They just need an another reason to buy.
I remember real estate in the Ortley Beach area slowly rising in the late 90's and then it seemed to spike upwards post 9-11 when a number of people didn't want to travel. By the mid-2000's it pretty much skyrocketed until the economy tanked in late '08-2009.

Joe P.

I remember real estate in the Ortley Beach area slowly rising in the late 90's and then it seemed to spike upwards post 9-11 when a number of people didn't want to travel. By the mid-2000's it pretty much skyrocketed until the economy tanked in late '08-2009.

Joe P.
Good friend’s parents were able to ride that equity wave all the up to the spring before Sandy.

They did very well on the sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeRU0304
Good friend’s parents were able to ride that equity wave all the up the spring before Sandy.

They did very well on the sale.
My parents and uncle missed out by a couple of years; they bought a place in Ortley for $100k in '91, sold in '98 for like $135k or so...the place sold again for like $240k in '03 and if I recall correctly it went for $348k in 2006.

...one of my luckiest people I can think of with a shore home sale was a friend of my mother's bosses at the time, who sold their beachfront Manaloking home for over $2 million I think in May/June 2012...the house got obliterated during Sandy.

Joe P.

My parents and uncle missed out by a couple of years; they bought a place in Ortley for $100k in '91, sold in '98 for like $135k or so...the place sold again for like $240k in '03 and if I recall correctly it went for $348k in 2006.

...one of my luckiest people I can think of with a shore home sale was a friend of my mother's bosses at the time, who sold their beachfront Manaloking home for over $2 million I think in May/June 2012...the house got obliterated during Sandy.

Joe P.
So did the house my friend’s parents sold in Ortley.

Whole block gone.

Joe P.
That land alone is worth over 2mm now if it’s approved.

Good point; I'm not sure of the exact specifics but I think the house was on market for a bit and the seller was retiring and moving to another state.

Joe P.

Joe P.

One of the “unluckiest” were my Mom’s kids (ME! - LOL) and grandkids as she was offered a house in Bayhead in the early 60’s for a song. And turned it down.

Whenever we go for a ride and dinner at Charlie’s, my kids always say…”Why, Grandma! WHY?” LOL

Btw, the house in question survived Sandy and is probably worth about $3M now.

One of the “unluckiest” were my Mom’s kids (ME! - LOL) and grandkids as she was offered a house in Bayhead in the early 60’s for a song. And turned it down.

Whenever we go for a ride and dinner at Charlie’s, my kids always say…”WHY, Grandma! Why!” LOL

Btw, the house in question survived Sandy and is probably worth about $3M now.
My parents still kick themselves over the Ortley house and wish they were able to hang on to it; they were partners with my uncle, who got married in '97 and was renovating his house in Nutley, which led to the sale...they tried to get a few other family members to 'buy in' but it didn't work out...my mom still says "if we just could have held on for another few years..." The house wasn't totally destroyed by Sandy but it got a significant renovation afterwards; I'd be shocked if it's valued under $550k right now.

...also, can you imagine going back to the late 80's/early 90's and buying land in Jersey City/Hoboken??? I think they practically couldn't give it away at the time...

Joe P.

My parents still kick themselves over the Ortley house and wish they were able to hang on to it; they were partners with my uncle, who got married in '97 and was renovating his house in Nutley, which led to the sale...they tried to get a few other family members to 'buy in' but it didn't work out...my mom still says "if we just could have held on for another few years..."

...also, can you imagine going back to the late 80's/early 90's and buying land in Jersey City/Hoboken??? I think they practically couldn't give it away at the time...

Joe P.
Flipped a condo in Newport, Jersey City. Signed contract in 2005 with Lefrak because I knew they would deliver the building on time, unlike many other condo developers. For some reason, Lefrak was selling the condos at 10% below what I estimated the market value to be. Newport renters were given preference. Then Lefrak opened up sales to the public.

Contract banned flipping or renting for one year, so I marketed it quietly using defunct Hoboken & Jersey City real estate website called Kannekt. Huge amount of interest from Korean buyers. Not Americans of Korean descent, but people in Korea. I negotiated the sale with a woman who didn't speak English. She bought it so her son and his friend could live there. Her son translated the negotiations.

Similar condos trading hands at 2x what I sold it for in 2007. Then, real estate market was beginning to crash so I sold it for a small gain rather than take a chance with renters. Unlike most of the country, Newport condo prices didn't crash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT