ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cost of shore rentals - will people continue to pay?

50% or more drop in Sept from the July peak in OCNJ, based on years of renting in Sept. We like early/mid Sept better straight up (less crowded, better weather, water still warm, everything still open, but not impossible to get into), so half price is just a bonus and allows us to get much nicer beachfront places, usually.
Eric, the first rule of fight club…🙄

😜

Reactions: RU848789
I have a 2 year old. If I took him to Disney it wouldn’t be a trip for him
correct- 2 hours max at a time and limited to little tiny tea cup rides. And it ends up a good majority of 2 y/os are deathly afraid of all the characters in person.

Reactions: dengodd
correct- 2 hours max at a time and limited to little tiny tea cup rides. And it ends up a good majority of 2 y/os are deathly afraid of all the characters in person.
We started taking our little to WDW when she was 3 years old. Had a very good time, but major restrictions on what you could do with someone so young. Most importantly, stick to your daily schedule of naps and bedtime.

My friends moved to Naples from North Jersey several years ago. I'd be very leary of vacationing there in July or August. The beaches have been plagued with the red tide the past several years which causes massive fish kills and terrible resulting stink. It's so bad that it can evern irritate your eyes and nose. Even if there is no red tide, most people can't tolerate the heat on the beach past noon.

Similar as our time in SH (anywhere between 1-3 weeks depending on other vacations that year). It's stupid expensive, but we have many guests come and go during our time, so it's a blast. Been doing it every summer for almost 2 decades. Just a different type of experience as compared to traditional vacation trips.

Shut up, nobody asked you.

My friends moved to Naples from North Jersey several years ago. I'd be very leary of vacationing there in July or August. The beaches have been plagued with the red tide the past several years which causes massive fish kills and terrible resulting stink. It's so bad that it can evern irritate your eyes and nose. Even if there is no red tide, most people can't tolerate the heat on the beach past noon.
That’s definitely an issue

Wel likely start early, go to noon-100, grab lunch, mini nap then head back out to the pool around 330-400

Umbrellas are a necessity as well

Better off taking a day trip to Sesame place or weekend trip out to Knoebels/PA.
Dutch Wonderland out by Lancaster was fun when they were really little So many rides and things for youngest.

Good water park too.

The Amish Country close by was a hoot.

Going to Wildwood Crest the end of this week for 2 nights to meet up with family down there staying for a few nights. I believe the final cost for a crappy motel room comes out to around $640 for 2 nights. Tourism tax added something like $50+. i can understand a normal room for $200 + a night, but going up $300+ for a 2 person room with fees and taxes is hard to handle. I don't understand how families can afford a full week down there anymore.

Some of the motels converted to rental condos (just managed by a management company to rent the rooms) now add $50 PER DAY for use of their sundecks/seating areas. It's absurd. We used to stay at the El Cornado, but they pull this non-sense now (after covid) and we refuse to pay for the sundeck access.

Last edited:
The value is that in a house with 5-6 bedrooms you may also be vacationing with extended family or multiple families. Your not going to Hawaii with 8-10 people for $10K
I think the 'large family' price aspect is a great point. I've been going to the Jersey Shore almost annually since I was 5 (I'm 43 now) and was just having this discussion with my parents; they co-owned a house in Ortley Beach (sold it when my uncle got married and before the market skyrocketed down there) and they've pretty much rented a place in either Ortley, Seaside Park or Wildwood since then, with the exception of 2015-2019 (Bermuda, Bahamas, Cancun, Dominican Republic, Jamaica). There's definitely a 'tipping point' where the costs/benefits won't match up though one significant advantage we've noticed to 'staying local' is the ability to find a pet/dog-friendly rental, along with the aforementioned significantly easier travel (no airports, no taxi/Uber/car service/getting a ride to/from the airport, etc.) and the ability to go grocery shopping (don't have to go out to eat everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner, etc.).

Joe P.

Last edited:
Seeing all the money being spent everywhere I had to wonder where its all coming from.

I think the answer is.. its math.

The generations who had lots of kids are dead or dying and so are the next generation who had far fewer kids and also had 2 incomes with both mom and dad working. Fewer kids inherit more wealth than previous generations. Add in recent government handouts and you have a lot of dollars pursuing the same stuff available to them previously.

And, of course, capitalism functioning as it does to maximize profit, the excess funds will be sucked off.. and then everything crashes.. maybe.

Isn't it interesting that when moms largely stayed home and raised kids, you could afford a home with one income. And after they went to work.. lo and behold, average folk need two income streams... what a coincidence.

Seeing all the money being spent everywhere I had to wonder where its all coming from.

The generations who had lots of kids are dead or dying and so are the next generation who had far fewer kids and also had 2 incomes with both mom and dad working. Fewer kids inherit more wealth than previous generations. Add in recent government handouts and you have a lot of dollars pursuing the same stuff available to them previously.

And, of course, capitalism functioning as it does to maximize profit, the excess funds will be sucked off.. and then everything crashes.. maybe.

Isn't it interesting that when moms largely stayed home and raised kids, you could afford a home with one income. And after they went to work.. lo and behold, average folk need two income streams... what a coincidence.
Most of these posters are Rutgers graduates and therefore successful with plenty of money to spend and save. Why do kids go out of state for expensive degrees?

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83

Is that an interesting coincidence?

Lo and behold ...no.

Most of these posters are Rutgers graduates and therefore successful with plenty of money to spend and save. Why do kids go out of state for expensive degrees?
Agreed.. but the larger point is one of society at large. You see all kinds of money being spent on crazy things.. like $4000 a week shore rentals. To charge that, you need a lot people chasing that experience. And it goes much further.. to car prices, Disney ticket prices, housing prices, SNEAKER prices for petes sake. It has nothing to do with Rutgers grads or college grads specifically. At least imho.

We started taking our little to WDW when she was 3 years old. Had a very good time, but major restrictions on what you could do with someone so young. Most importantly, stick to your daily schedule of naps and bedtime.
Its sad to see a family talking up a ride to a little one who is obviously below its minimum height requirement. If you (not specifically you, the general you) have little ones, be sure to check height requirements before setting their expectations.

Never rented at the Jersey Shore but always wanted to. Do the rents drop a lot in September? That’s my favorite time to visit the shore.

Scarlet Jerry
Jerry after school starts back up it's awesome. Every dickwad has gone back home to menace their neighborhood. During the summer driving skills and IQ's tend to drop, as we get invaded by what seems like every high school dropout from Pennsylvania to New York sprinkled in with some North Jerseyans.

A couple of years back- we went with friends to Virgin Gorda in the BVI. Insane villa on a private beach- 6 BR/6Bath. Total cost for a week was around 9-10k. There were a total of 9 of us that went. So- to compare to some of the NJ beach houses- it is a crazy good deal and look at what you get to stay in...
Villa BVI
What's with the kettle? Are we talking a tea pot or big stew pot over fire pit? If it's a tea pot, is that really an amenity?

What's with the kettle? Are we talking a tea pot or big stew pot over fire pit? If it's a tea pot, is that really an amenity?
Kettle? That ads says nominally $1200/night, which would be $8400/week, plus airfare, etc.

That's some horrific stonework on that kitchen counter. Worse than the mortar joints on Alex Barbir's parent's home. #NeverForget. 😜 Your mortar joints are much cleaner!!!

caribbean.wind.9.jpg

I have a 2 year old. If I took him to Disney it wouldn’t be a trip for him
When you have multiples, take them. I took my 5 and 2 year old and they ate it up. Going back again next month because the in laws splurged on a Disney vacation club pass.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This is a great place, as is Sarasota. Rented a boat at John’s Pass and took it down to Shell Key.
I like the lifestyle on the west coast but like the ocean and fishing on the east coast. Can't have everything.

Lots of family on the west coast and friends on the east. Spend a lot of time on both.

I'm in Clearwater now. Hot AF. Wife tells me Jersey won't be any better this week though. Hope it breaks before I get back. A few more days of work to do down here.

Reactions: rutgersal
I like the lifestyle on the west coast but like the ocean and fishing on the east coast. Can't have everything.

Lots of family on the west coast and friends on the east. Spend a lot of time on both.

I'm in Clearwater now. Hot AF. Wife tells me Jersey won't be any better this week though. Hope it breaks before I get back. A few more days of work to do down here.
It's a short heat wave: Weds-Sat, then normal temps next week...

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
When you have multiples, take them. I took my 5 and 2 year old and they ate it up. Going back again next month because the in laws splurged on a Disney vacation club pass.

I don’t have any kids yet but me and my wife have agreed we’ll probably take our kids to Disney once and only once when they can somewhat remember it (5-7 years old). I’m pretty sure a 2 year old would have just as much fun (or maybe more) going to Storybook land for a day as they would spending a week in Disney.

I really don’t understand the families who are obsessed with Disney and go once a year. There’s way too many other places/experiences in the US you can take you kids and spend way less $ on than a make believe corporate theme park. Not to mention the amount of time and stress that goes into planning a Disney trip these days - hard pass.

Don’t get me started on the Disney adults. Just a really odd bunch.

We say a lot of things we’ll do and won’t do pre kids…hoping we stick to it haha.

Also - you started this OP saying $4K for your family down the NJ shore for a week isn’t worth it but I gotta ask how much a Disney trip runs you? Gotta be 2-3x that?

If so give me a NJ beach for a week over a week in Disney hands down.

Last edited:
Typing this from the couch down the shore. Jersey shore will always be hot. I got a small place after sandy. When I was much younger and less established. Market was crap then. Big entry point. Parents got an awesome beach bungalow 2 years ago. IMO stole the place.

Also as someone else pointed out. Lots of successful people on the board. We went to Rutgers and if your wife or husband also works and does well it’s gravy. Can easily swing a jersey shore week and a Disney trip in the same year.

I don’t have any kids yet but me and my wife have agreed we’ll probably take our kids to Disney once and only once when they can somewhat remember it (5-7 years old). I’m pretty sure a 2 year old would have just as much fun (or maybe more) going to Storybook land for a day as they would spending a week in Disney.

I really don’t understand the families who are obsessed with Disney and go once a year. There’s way too many other places/experiences in the US you can take you kids and spend way less $ on than a make believe corporate theme park. Not to mention the amount of time and stress that goes into planning a Disney trip these days - hard pass.

We say a lot of things we’ll do and won’t do pre kids…hoping we stick to it haha.
This was our exact decision too. We went last year when my boys were 7 and 5. It was a perfect age. We stayed at Animal Kingdom and did it right. But that's it. Maybe when they're in high school, we'll do it again.

Also on Disney. We went last year. Wife loved it and I could have done without it. I really liked universal studies and if you like Harry Potter it’s phenomenal.

Best part of Disney was my wife’s mom and sister took my boys for half a day and we went without kids to Epcot and went around the world to the different countries and ate and drank for 4 hours.

Also - you started this OP saying $4K for your family down the NJ shore for a week isn’t worth it but I gotta ask how much a Disney trip runs you? Gotta be 2-3x that?

No way to Disney with a kid under 5. We went once when our son was about 8 and that was enough for him (and us). Never understood the attraction.

If you have young kids and get down near Egg Harbor check out Storybrook Land. Great experience - clean, moderate to light crowds, plenty of shade, you can bring food in, reasonable prices, and perfect rides for young kids. They don't hit you over the head trying to sell stuff everywhere. Worth a day trip from anywhere in NJ.

I'm not paying for Disney. Being invited so I just go along with it. I agree with you on Disney as well.

Reactions: S_Janowski
No way to Disney with a kid under 5. We went once when our son was about 8 and that was enough for him (and us). Never understood the attraction.
We took our two year old years ago. It was a free flight and we had access to cheap tickets. We took it easy, didn't try to spend 10 hours a day at the parks. She loved Disney just as much as she loved the plane, the hotel and any other new experience. Wasn't necessary per se, but we still had a great time.

Reactions: hankee18
Kettle? That ads says nominally $1200/night, which would be $8400/week, plus airfare, etc.

That's some horrific stonework on that kitchen counter. Worse than the mortar joints on Alex Barbir's parent's home. #NeverForget. 😜 Your mortar joints are much cleaner!!!

caribbean.wind.9.jpg
now, I also get the kettle comment- I thought he meant it was in a picture. But it is listed as an amenity...lol i am sure the mean tea kettle. lol
As for the stone work- to be honest, didnt pay too much attention other than I know they had the same stone all around the property.
My wife and I made out well- we were last minute - friends had rented the villa and had a couple cancel. So we got the week with them at $1000 plus airfair. They already had the place stocked up so there wasnt even a food/drink cost unless we were all going out.

Reactions: Knight Shift
now, I also get the kettle comment- I thought he meant it was in a picture. But it is listed as an amenity...lol i am sure the mean tea kettle. lol
As for the stone work- to be honest, didnt pay too much attention other than I know they had the same stone all around the property.
My wife and I made out well- we were last minute - friends had rented the villa and had a couple cancel. So we got the week with them at $1000 plus airfair. They already had the place stocked up so there wasnt even a food/drink cost unless we were all going out.
I'm a stickler for stone work and detail. @koleszar is the company to hire if you want perfection and cleanliness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT