ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Job Interview Process Question

RULoyal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
In your experience, if the day after your interview the employer calls you and asks for your references and tells you they are going to do a background check - Are they going to offer you the job (assuming everything checks out)? Not for me but a family member.

Reactions: RUBlackout
All depends on the nature of the work. For some jobs, the references and background checks come before the first in-person interview. And the context matters. For instance, some jobs require multiple interviews, and the references and background checks occur after the first, signifying only a likely second interview.

So, I think it’s a clear sign the interview went well. But couldn’t say if it means an offer is coming, or another interview.

As long as references and background check comes out clean. I’ve had multiple hires fail tgat stage of the process.

One guy had a gun charge he didn’t disclose and another person the reference said, “I can’t believe this woman keeps listing me as a reference- she totally screwed me over!”

Made both decisions easy to move forward with someone else. At that point in the hiring process, the manager really wants everything to go through smoothly.

There are restrictions on what you can ask these days and any sizable company with proper management/HR function generally follows the rules pretty carefully.

As long as references and background check comes out clean. I’ve had multiple hires fail tgat stage of the process.

One guy had a gun charge he didn’t disclose and another person the reference said, “I can’t believe this woman keeps listing me as a reference- she totally screwed me over!”

Made both decisions easy to move forward with someone else. At that point in the hiring process, the manager really wants everything to go through smoothly.

There are restrictions on what you can ask these days and any sizable company with proper management/HR function generally follows the rules pretty carefully.
What would have happened if the guy disclosed the gun charge ?

What would have happened if the guy disclosed the gun charge ?

I don’t know. It was a small company and we would have had to figure out what to do.

We had plenty of other guys who were former military or owned guns, etc so it would have been more about whether he was trustworthy and would do the job. The owner had a strong libertarian bent.

It was a pretty senior role, so the attempt to cover it up was an immediate dealbreaker. I remember being very frustrated because I really wanted the help.

We wound up finding someone pretty amazing who was with the company a long time and the boss brought with him to two other companies.

In your experience, if the day after your interview the employer calls you and asks for your references and tells you they are going to do a background check - Are they going to offer you the job (assuming everything checks out)? Not for me but a family member.
You can’t do a background check until an offer has been signed.

Most likely or down to a couple final candidates. Your friend should send a thank you note asap, and not one of those canned letters you can find online. Reference some of the conversations you had.

Background check just means you've made it to Round Two. The pool of candidates narrows. The background check results provides more comparative data for the hiring group to assess the top candidates.

Background check just means you've made it to Round Two. The pool of candidates narrows. The background check results provides more comparative data for the hiring group to assess the top candidates.
In pharma/biotech, background checks normally happen AFTER the offer is accepted, which then can be rescinded if an issue pops up (normally criminal issue or drug test failure). Very rarely an issue, especially for the more senior positions. Entry level or new hires out of grad/undergrad are a little more unpredictable.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT