ADVERTISEMENT

OT: KNICKS playoff thread Go NY Go NY GO

As a FA he'll get paid either by the Knicks or another team. IMO he fits the Knicks scheme's perfectly - especially when Randle comes back. In fact with or without Randle, with OG & Brunson in the lineup together the Knicks record is now 21-2. You don't let guys with that impact leave.
i get it but is he more valuable than Randle who most Knick fans have a love hate relationship with? Like in many of these situations they almost have to sign him given what they traded to get him. His agent is Leon Rose's son but I doubt the Knicks will be getting any type of discount nor should they. I am just not sure what % of the cap you tie up in a guy who is probably at best a good third piece on a championship contender. Somehow I think they need to find a way to bring Hartenstein back given his development this year. He is more well rounded than Mitch at this point.

I’m fine with OG getting 8 and 5 if Maxey doesn’t get 35 because OG was on him for 30 mins

i get it but is he more valuable than Randle who most Knick fans have a love hate relationship with? Like in many of these situations they almost have to sign him given what they traded to get him. His agent is Leon Rose's son but I doubt the Knicks will be getting any type of discount nor should they. I am just not sure what % of the cap you tie up in a guy who is probably at best a good third piece on a championship contender. Somehow I think they need to find a way to bring Hartenstein back given his development this year. He is more well rounded than Mitch at this point.
Mitchell Robinson is built for the playoffs more so then IHart. Would like to keep both. Mitchell is locked up and his contract was front loaded, meaning each year it counts less against the cap. I think last year was the high end of Mitchell's contract at $16 million. This year was at $15 million and next is $13 million and so on. The value of IHart has been mentioned to be in the neighborhood of $15 million after what he did this season. That is reasonable unless someone throws stupid money at him. The thing in the Knicks favor is most players don't jump from team to team as often as they used to 10 or 12 years ago, so maybe IHart wants to stay out.

OG is the one most are concerned about since he is looking for $30+ million on his new contract. Perhaps, the Knicks have some time with Randle and Brunson decisions. Each have 2 years left on their contracts and neither is making $30 million. The Knicks have cap friendly contracts, but that won't last forever. Maybe the Knicks pay OG and decide what to do with their stars. Going over the salary cap for the Knicks is a ritual. That does scare them. They have the Bird rights on all of them.

McBride should fire his agent as the Knicks extended him another 3 years at $2 million per.

Achewa is a restricted FA at $4 million. To keep him the target is $6 million per. Another steal for the Knicks.

Burke has an expiring contract at $12 million. Frees up cap space.

Bogdanovich has one year left on his contract ($20 million), but only half is guaranteed. He may be trade bait with one of the 11 first-round picks the Knicks over the next 5 drafts.

Reactions: toby83
Mitchell Robinson is built for the playoffs more so then IHart. Would like to keep both. Mitchell is locked up and his contract was front loaded, meaning each year it counts less against the cap. I think last year was the high end of Mitchell's contract at $16 million. This year was at $15 million and next is $13 million and so on. The value of IHart has been mentioned to be in the neighborhood of $15 million after what he did this season. That is reasonable unless someone throws stupid money at him. The thing in the Knicks favor is most players don't jump from team to team as often as they used to 10 or 12 years ago, so maybe IHart wants to stay out.

OG is the one most are concerned about since he is looking for $30+ million on his new contract. Perhaps, the Knicks have some time with Randle and Brunson decisions. Each have 2 years left on their contracts and neither is making $30 million. The Knicks have cap friendly contracts, but that won't last forever. Maybe the Knicks pay OG and decide what to do with their stars. Going over the salary cap for the Knicks is a ritual. That does scare them. They have the Bird rights on all of them.

McBride should fire his agent as the Knicks extended him another 3 years at $2 million per.

Achewa is a restricted FA at $4 million. To keep him the target is $6 million per. Another steal for the Knicks.

Bogdanovich has one year left on his contract ($20 million), but only half is guaranteed. He may be trade bait with one of the 11 first-round picks the Knicks over the next 5 drafts.
One small note, McBride is a little under 4.5 a year on his extention

I dont think Burke frees up cap space because the Knicks are over the cap.

Randle and Brunson are player options in 2025-2026.
Can't imagine Brunson opts in for $24m.
Perhaps Randle does for approx $30m.
But both will need new contracts by the end of next season likely.

Knicks are capped at how much they can offer IHart because of the CBA. I think it's $16m? It only takes one team to offer him a big contract though and the Knicks won't be able to match.
They would have to really shed salary (Mitchell Robinson?) to offer him more under the cap and not use his Early Bird rights. Unless he signed a 1yr deal for $16m with the promise of a big deal in 2025-2026 (right when Brunson/Randle would be getting big deals).

Knicks are capped at how much they can offer IHart because of the CBA. I think it's $16m? It only takes one team to offer him a big contract though and the Knicks won't be able to match.
They would have to really shed salary (Mitchell Robinson?) to offer him more under the cap and not use his Early Bird rights. Unless he signed a 1yr deal for $16m with the promise of a big deal in 2025-2026 (right when Brunson/Randle would be getting big deals).

Knicks can offer IHart 175% of his salary as Early Bird rights.
175% of $8m is approx $14m.

The Knicks can re-sign their players without an issue. Check the Bird rule. They will just pay the luxury tax, which isn't an issue for them.

The Knicks can re-sign their players without an issue. Check the Bird rule. They will just pay the luxury tax, which isn't an issue for them.

Not Hartenstein. He's Early Bird not regular Bird rights.
They are limited to 175% of his current salary (approx $8m).
So approx 4y/60m is the most NY can offer.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/03...hts offer teams the,t qualify for Bird rights.

Yes they can resign Brunson, Randle and OG under Bird rights for whatever they want.
The question becomes do they want to at the $$ it may cost.
It'll be interesting how teams deal with the luxury tax and the 2nd apron and the roster restrictions that come along with it.
Can't really pay a Big 3 anymore (not that it matters since the Nets buried that as a good idea).
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...ry-cap-team-spending/efo6htjzzmzrswoncvvlbmhi

Tidbit I just remembered
Knicks have mavs pick
Need clips to win
I think the draft positions are based on regular season records. I was reading an article the other day that indicated the Mavs won some type of tiebreaker with the Knicks and will have the 24th pick in the draft while the Knicks will have #25. They need to try to get a decent role player out of one of those two picks. They need a contributor on a cheap contract.

Not Hartenstein. He's Early Bird not regular Bird rights.
They are limited to 175% of his current salary (approx $8m).
So approx 4y/60m is the most NY can offer.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/03/hoops-rumors-glossary-early-bird-rights-7.html#:~:text=Bird rights offer teams the,t qualify for Bird rights.

Yes they can resign Brunson, Randle and OG under Bird rights for whatever they want.
The question becomes do they want to at the $$ it may cost.
It'll be interesting how teams deal with the luxury tax and the 2nd apron and the roster restrictions that come along with it.
Can't really pay a Big 3 anymore (not that it matters since the Nets buried that as a good idea).
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...ry-cap-team-spending/efo6htjzzmzrswoncvvlbmhi
I believe the most prohibitive aspects of being a second apron team kicks in this off season. Sounds like a situation to avoid at nearly all costs unless you have a really strong team such as the Celtics. Might still be hard to rationalize paying $25-30MM for Mitch and Isiah two centers depending on what you need to pay other components of the roster.

I believe the most prohibitive aspects of being a second apron team kicks in this off season. Sounds like a situation to avoid at nearly all costs unless you have a really strong team such as the Celtics. Might still be hard to rationalize paying $25-30MM for Mitch and Isiah two centers depending on what you need to pay other components of the roster.
IHart said in a podcast that he is willing to take less to stay. As I mentioned before, Mitchell Robinson's salary was frontloaded. Mitch's contract peaked in the first year at $16 million and continues to decrease. When it comes to rationalizing salaries, Dolan has shown he doesn't care. The Knicks and Rangers are through his corporation and not his pockets. Paying the luxury tax is peanuts for a large corporation.

The Knicks don't have to move on Randle or Brunson this summer. Brunson, similar to IHart, has indicated he doesn't have to be a max guy. Many of these players are looking to do something similar to Tom Brady, where you get paid but don't handicap the organization from getting other quality players. Randle is the one who may be the odd man out down the road. He may end up as trade bait to reset the payscale while adding a quality piece to the team.

Reactions: cm_13 and NickRU714
IHart said in a podcast that he is willing to take less to stay. As I mentioned before, Mitchell Robinson's salary was frontloaded. Mitch's contract peaked in the first year at $16 million and continues to decrease. When it comes to rationalizing salaries, Dolan has shown he doesn't care. The Knicks and Rangers are through his corporation and not his pockets. Paying the luxury tax is peanuts for a large corporation.

The Knicks don't have to move on Randle or Brunson this summer. Brunson, similar to IHart, has indicated he doesn't have to be a max guy. Many of these players are looking to do something similar to Tom Brady, where you get paid but don't handicap the organization from getting other quality players. Randle is the one who may be the odd man out down the road. He may end up as trade bait to reset the payscale while adding a quality piece to the team.

I agree with almost everything in your post. One exception is the Luxury Tax. It's not only about the money but there are new restrictions starting this year for teams over the 1st and 2nd aprons which can significantly hamper a team's ability to both sign and trade for other players. That aside - the Cap projects to rise about 10% per year (including first and second luxury tax aprons). By my calculations the Knicks can re-sign OG for $30M as well as IHart for $14M and still be under the First Tax Apron (~$178M next season). They would come in at about $173M in salary. Without any other trades, I'm guessing they would try to free up some space to re-sign Achiuwa and Draft Picks by declining options on bench/role players (Jeffries and Sims) as well as trading or walking away from Bogs total contract $19M and limiting to only the guaranteed portion.

I agree with almost everything in your post. One exception is the Luxury Tax. It's not only about the money but there are new restrictions starting this year for teams over the 1st and 2nd aprons which can significantly hamper a team's ability to both sign and trade for other players. That aside - the Cap projects to rise about 10% per year (including first and second luxury tax aprons). By my calculations the Knicks can re-sign OG for $30M as well as IHart for $14M and still be under the First Tax Apron (~$178M next season). They would come in at about $173M in salary. Without any other trades, I'm guessing they would try to free up some space to re-sign Achiuwa and Draft Picks by declining options on bench/role players (Jeffries and Sims) as well as trading or walking away from Bogs total contract $19M and limiting to only the guaranteed portion.
By letting Sims and Jeffries walk, it does little to help the cap. I suspect the Knicks guarantee Bog's contract, then include him in a trade with picks. A struggling team would love an expiring contract and picks to rebuild the roster. Giving away a star with similar salary, but longer deal is worth it for a bad team.

You re-sign Achiuwa as a safety net for either IHart or Robinson.

Trades for teams over the cap have to match dollar wise. This is how teams get around it. You might be more upto date on this topic than me.

Any idea about the salary cap threshold for the following year? I ask because Randle will have a full year to show if he's recovered from the injury and decide who gets the payday, Randle or Brunson?

By letting Sims and Jeffries walk, it does little to help the cap. I suspect the Knicks guarantee Bog's contract, then include him in a trade with picks. A struggling team would love an expiring contract and picks to rebuild the roster. Giving away a star with similar salary, but longer deal is worth it for a bad team.

You re-sign Achiuwa as a safety net for either IHart or Robinson.

Trades for teams over the cap have to match dollar wise. This is how teams get around it. You might be more upto date on this topic than me.

Any idea about the salary cap threshold for the following year? I ask because Randle will have a full year to show if he's recovered from the injury and decide who gets the payday, Randle or Brunson?

Clearing Sims and Jeffries is about $4- $5M. Might be just enough to sign Achiuwa as a backup to Randle as well as keep the team under the Apron. Regarding the team option for Bogs - IMO only if they can find a trade partner.

Cap for 2024 - $141M (1st Apron - $178.6M, 2nd Apron - $189.5M)
Projected Cap for 2025 - $155M (1st - $196.5M, 2nd - $208.4)

The first apron restrictions:
  • Teams cannot acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if that player keeps them above the apron
  • Teams cannot sign a player waived during the regular season whose salary was over the $12.2 million midlevel exception (example - Lowry would not be on Miami if they were over the first Apron)
  • Salary matching in trades must be within 110 percent, rather than 125 percent for teams not above the apron
2nd Apron restrictions - including the first Apron restrictions:
  • No access to the $5 million midlevel exception
  • Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players
  • Teams cannot include cash in a trade
  • Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year
  • First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)
  • A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons

Up 2-0 House money games are the best to watch!
I never feel comfortable with house money. Go in for the kill. But I know that it will be tough, particularly with the officiating narrative that the Sixers have been promoting. The truth is they have been getting away with a ton of contact, especially on Brunson. Reminds me of when Phil Jackson would bitch back in the day.

Everyone is talking about the Sixers being motivated, but so are the Knicks. The Knicks have a chance to put an all in important 3rd nail in the Sixers' coffin. That might kill Philly's spirits.

Sixers seem to be overcompensating with physical play and that’s fine with me. They are getting called on it.

Embiid not being thrown out for tackling Robinson is criminal on the refs. Also, Philly hit the lottery when it came to shooting 3s in the second half.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan and cm_13
Sunday is going to be intense

I like Achuiwa on offense he was driving by Embiid
He’s much smaller and Embiid can’t play D

Hartenstein can’t take advantage

I’ll also repeat

Play of season

Embiids hand slips off of robinsons left leg

If it doesn’t he completely takes him out slamming Robinson to ground and he’s ejected

Allowing 125 points is not going to cut it. I assume Mitch will not be available on Sunday. Brunson getting back on track means little in a loss like that. Knick fans showed well in Philly tonight.

The league treats certain players different than others. Draymond is suspended for the series. Embiid is hit with only a flagrant foul. It's total BS. 🤬
This why some on this board can't stand watching the NBA. It's criminal how they police each player differently.

Inexcusable that he wasn’t ejected. Anyone else and they’re getting tossed immediately for grabbing Robinson’s legs.

They could have assessed him an earlier flagrant 1 when they reviewed the knee to the groin area of Hartenstein. There was one angle where it looked like he followed through with his leg to Isiah's groin. Not a natural basketball play. Very chippy play from the Sixers early on.

The league treats certain players different than others. Draymond is suspended for the series. Embiid is hit with only a flagrant foul. It's total BS. 🤬
This why some on this board can't stand watching the NBA. It's criminal how they police each player differently.

That makes sense. Nobody should watch a league where players (especially star players) get officiated differently. Just ruins the whole experience.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/edey-3-seconds-traveling.273122/

I’ll also repeat

Play of season

Embiids hand slips off of robinsons left leg

If it doesn’t he completely takes him out slamming Robinson to ground and he’s ejected
His hand slipped off the left leg, but he placed that same hand onto Robinson's right leg along with the other hand. The intent was there and he made an effort to follow through on pulling Robinson to the ground. As I said Embiid received special treatment. If that was Draymond, he's suspended for the rest of the playoffs. Double standards. Without Embiid remaining in the game, Philly is down 3-0. The league is more concerned with ratings instead of player safety and integrity of the game.

His hand slipped off the left leg, but he placed that same hand onto Robinson's right leg along with the other hand. The intent was there and he made an effort to follow through on pulling Robinson to the ground. As I said Embiid received special treatment. If that was Draymond, he's suspended for the rest of the playoffs. Double standards. Without Embiid remaining in the game, Philly is down 3-0. The league is more concerned with ratings instead of player safety and integrity of the game.

The thing that pisses me off the most is Mitch has had to deal with a lot of injuries in his career, similar to Embiid. As a fellow injury prone big man, he should know better than to grab at a 280 pound guy’s legs when he’s going up for a dunk. It’s a total piece of shit move.

The thing that pisses me off the most is Mitch has had to deal with a lot of injuries in his career, similar to Embiid. As a fellow injury prone big man, he should know better than to grab at a 280 pound guy’s legs when he’s going up for a dunk. It’s a total piece of shit move.
Embid is crazy talented, it's like he gets better every year and adds a new offensive moves to his bag. With that being said he comes off as an incredibly emotional guy always in his feelings..he was literally crying when they lost to the raptors that year. Crying about Jokic winning MVP back to back, of course he was crying about the last game although that was warranted. He's had some bad luck with injuries and he's funny and likeable but when he doesn't get his way he's like a child..

Embiid not being thrown out for tackling Robinson is criminal on the refs. Also, Philly hit the lottery when it came to shooting 3s in the second half.

The non ejection was a makeup for the abomination of officiating that occurred to end game 2.

Everyone knew the Sixers would get some friendly calls at home after the horrid officiating in game 2.

Inexcusable that he wasn’t ejected. Anyone else and they’re getting tossed immediately for grabbing Robinson’s legs.
Weird they never replayed the play that he apparently rolled his ankle on. Was on one of Embiid's patented slow mo drive directly in to the chest of defender plays. Robinsons sneaker came off, I thought maybe Embiid stepped directly on his foot and ankle. I didn't think Robinson came down on Embiid's foot (the typical ankle roll scenario) but they never fuc*ing showed it!!

Reactions: cm_13
The non ejection was a makeup for the abomination of officiating that occurred to end game 2.

Everyone knew the Sixers would get some friendly calls at home after the horrid officiating in game 2.

Ummmm.....the makeup was actually the 33 - 19 Foul Shot differential - even though the Knicks scored 52 points in the paint - Embiid had 21 foul shots himself. Hoping you realize that there's a difference between bad calls / friendly calls and an irresponsible act that can cause injury or even what might have been intent to injure. Mitch is coming off ankle surgery - should the Knicks now try for a makeup by overtly banging at Embiid's surgically repaired knee?

Ummmm.....the makeup was actually the 33 - 19 Foul Shot differential - even though the Knicks scored 52 points in the paint - Embiid had 21 foul shots himself. Hoping you realize that there's a difference between bad calls / friendly calls and an irresponsible act that can cause injury or even what might have been intent to injure. Mitch is coming off ankle surgery - should the Knicks now try for a makeup by overtly banging at Embiid's surgically repaired knee?

I’m in no way condoning what Embiid did and he probably should have been ejected.

But the reality is that the awful officiating to end game 2 probably played a part in the refs deciding to only give him a flagrant 1.

Reactions: rufeelinit
I’m in no way condoning what Embiid did and he probably should have been ejected.

But the reality is that the awful officiating to end game 2 probably played a part in the refs deciding to only give him a flagrant 1.
Shouldn’t matter. Was a flagrant dirty play. Among other ones he had in the game. I am summoning the 90s Knicks for game 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT