ADVERTISEMENT

OT: KRock 92.3 Is Now 1010WINS Simulcast

RUfinally2008

All American
Aug 20, 2005
Gets an another clearer signal on 92.3 FM. Here in central jersey listening to Mets games on WABC 880 breaks up a lot. 92.3 is a very strong signal and since they lost WFAN,the best way to listen is on my cell app Audacy. I really think Steve Cohen should revisit getting an FM station again

Reactions: Bobbynieds
We'll see how WCBS 880 (WABC is 770) is in the winter for Rutgers basketball. Not expecting issues. It's fine in Middlesex County when I turn on the Mets. Maybe you live further south and that's where it gets a bit iffy, not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfinally2008
WCBS 880 is a 50,000-watt station. You can't be any stronger than that. WCBS and WFAN 660 can be heard as far south as the DMV area and as far north as the Boston area. Not sure why the signal breaks up.

Man, did not see that news before. Thanks for posting. Another kick in the balls to rock stations in this market. I only listen to 92.3, 104.3 and WDHA (105.5) in North Jersey. CT and upstate have some cool stations, but I just lose the signal by me.

Also, I am a huge News Radio 88 guy. Never liked 1010 WINS. My father used to listen to it every morning in the car taking me to school and I hated that clock ticking sound they made. I was not a morning person then. Sad day for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
I loved the hard rock and metal played on WSOU when I lived in Middlesex County.
I remember back in the late 80's when Kean College had a weak station that used to try to compete with WSOU. SOU is 89.5 and WKNJ was 90.3. My buddy and I used to ride our bikes over to the building the KNJ studio was in and they'd let us answer the phones. And because they were truly stupid college kids they'd let us drink their beer too.

I used my time answering the phones and getting hammered at Kean as 'service hours' towards making my Confirmation at the end of 8th grade CCD. A 19 year old kid who looked exactly like Cliff Burton and called himself "Tim The Crow" signed my paperwork. 🤣 🤘🤘🤘

• Haha
Reactions: robcac26
WCBS 880 is a 50,000-watt station. You can't be any stronger than that. WCBS and WFAN 660 can be heard as far south as the DMV area and as far north as the Boston area. Not sure why the signal breaks up.
When I lived in Monmouth County near the coast those stations were never an issue. Here in western Monmouth County now, I get a way better signal from 92.3fm by far.

I remember back in the late 80's when Kean College had a weak station that used to try to compete with WSOU. SOU is 89.5 and WKNJ was 90.3. My buddy and I used to ride our bikes over to the building the KNJ studio was in and they'd let us answer the phones. And because they were truly stupid college kids they'd let us drink their beer too.

I used my time answering the phones and getting hammered at Kean as 'service hours' towards making my Confirmation at the end of 8th grade CCD. A 19 year old kid who looked exactly like Cliff Burton and called himself "Tim The Crow" signed my paperwork. 🤣 🤘🤘🤘
I went to Kean back then. We all listened to WSOU in the parking lot. Didn't even know Kean had a radio station.

End of an era. Its last incarnation was Alt 92.3 but everyone will best remember it as KRock. The pinnacle of Howard Stern before he became a joke. Any Generation Xer was so blessed to listen to this station during the grunge movement. Music sucks now and radio is dead but we still have our memories and all those old tunes from yesteryear

End of an era. Its last incarnation was Alt 92.3 but everyone will best remember it as KRock. The pinnacle of Howard Stern before he became a joke. Any Generation Xer was so blessed to listen to this station during the grunge movement. Music sucks now and radio is dead but we still have our memories and all those old tunes from yesteryear

I'll always remember it as K-Rock for so many years.

I liked the HD2 feed of Krock. It was called Fresh Stuff or something like that.

Howard has become a shell of his former self. He's worse than Imus.

Apparently, he has hidden away in his mansion on Long Island since Feb. 2020. He is coming to the studio for the first time in over 2 years on Monday to interview Bruce Springsteen, but he tried to do the interview remotely. What a wuss he is.

I liked the HD2 feed of Krock. It was called Fresh Stuff or something like that.

Howard has become a shell of his former self. He's worse than Imus.

Apparently, he has hidden away in his mansion on Long Island since Feb. 2020. He is coming to the studio for the first time in over 2 years on Monday to interview Bruce Springsteen, but he tried to do the interview remotely. What a wuss he is.

What's going on with that? Still worried about COVID or just the current state of NYC? He's turning into Howard Hughes or those ladies in Grey Gardens. Edit: Sorry, just skimmed the story- still nuts over COVID.

What's going on with that? Still worried about COVID or just the current state of NYC? He's turning into Howard Hughes or those ladies in Grey Gardens.
Don't get me started. There is a long thread on one of the Springsteen forums about the interview, and many fans think it will be great. Wonder if Howard will be old Howard and ask all sorts of sexually provocative questions. He will definitely project his own daddy issues on to Bruce and they will probably commiserate there. He will also do his usual playing snippets of hits and asking Bruce annoyingly, "Do you remember this song?"--while he is playing Born to Run. Then, as Bruce starts to answer, Robin and Howard will interrupt every third word with their answers. Baba Booey will be in heaven, and will probably cry.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Strangely,WINS itself used to be a rock station,featuring Murray The K.The changeover to all news occurred in April of 1965.
That summer,they gave great coverage of the Watts riots.Naturally,the Phillies were playing the Dodgers as they were during the Rodney King riots in 1992.

Another one bites the dust. One more casualty of the digitization of music.
I think it is less about the digitization of music and more how they are run. So many music stations are hardly music anymore. More about a funny DJ(s) and a short play list. WMMR, aside from their morning show, lets the DJs control what music is played. Very few repeats. If it's in the vaults (vinyl and digital) it can be played. Some are very creative with a theme of the day.
Satellite radio falls into the same pitfalls of repeating the same songs over and over.

I think it is less about the digitization of music and more how they are run. So many music stations are hardly music anymore. More about a funny DJ(s) and a short play list.

And don't forget that for many stations, the playlist is created by some corporate hack who just looks at what top hits a band or artist had and selects those.

Reactions: WhiteBus
It's surprising that it does. You now have the ability to listen to every song you've ever loved on demand without commercials
It's a generational thing. Radio stations around here play nothing that came out after 1989.

It's surprising that it does. You now have the ability to listen to every song you've ever loved on demand without commercials
It's funny if you just look up your favorites only, you will get tired of them over time. I call it the Boston disaster as they were so overplayed by all stations I hate them all now lol.
Suggest anyone to only play the full album or CD of the bands that contain a favorite song of yours. You'll find out that you stopped listening to many others you loved.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think it is less about the digitization of music and more how they are run. So many music stations are hardly music anymore. More about a funny DJ(s) and a short play list. WMMR, aside from their morning show, lets the DJs control what music is played. Very few repeats. If it's in the vaults (vinyl and digital) it can be played. Some are very creative with a theme of the day.
Satellite radio falls into the same pitfalls of repeating the same songs over and over.

Listened to WMMR back in '69 - '70. Great station along with WNEW-FM in NYC and WBCN in Boston. Currently WXPK 107.1 is the only station worth listening to for rock music based in Port Chester. Really can only come through clear in Westchester & Rockland, Nassau & Suffolk, and Bergen and possibly Hudson/Passaic Counties in NJ. Rock music from 1967 - 2022 with roughly 40% of what's played is less than 10 years old.

Reactions: WhiteBus

One of my good friends from HS worked there. Did you know Opie? We used to call and request Eye of the Tiger all the time as a gag. If they put us live on the air we’d press play on my stereo and get a few notes on the air before they cut us off. Lol

One of my good friends from HS worked there. Did you know Opie? We used to call and request Eye of the Tiger all the time as a gag. If they put us live on the air we’d press play on my stereo and get a few notes on the air before they cut us off. Lol
Blonde curly hair (maybe it was red IDK)? Now I was a kid so everybody looked tall, but was he a taller guy? There was Tim The Crow, this blonde guy and a short Spanish guy with a heavy accent.

This was like '88.

Last edited:

In my experience the higher number 50KW AM stations broadcast farer and clearer than the lower number ones.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is not very interesting. We go to Arizona several time per year. The Phoenix and surrounding area has some fantastic stations. KUPD is a great hard rock station. KKLD (The Cloud) is a fun "hits" station playing hit songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s. The commercials on KUPD are fun to listen to.

How does one discover new music if they only listen to songs they have downloaded?

Blonde curly hair (maybe it was red IDK)? Now I was a kid so everybody looked tall, but was he a taller guy? There was Tim The Crow, this blonde guy and a short Spanish guy with a heavy accent.

This was like '88.
This would have been much later like 93 or 94. She was a petite Hispanic girl.

Sad times. But look at the disaster that is Audacy and you will see why. Horribly mismanaged and bankruptcy isn’t far away.
Think otherwise ? Grab yourself some AUD stock for 37 cents. What a shitshow.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is not very interesting. We go to Arizona several time per year. The Phoenix and surrounding area has some fantastic stations. KUPD is a great hard rock station. KKLD (The Cloud) is a fun "hits" station playing hit songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s. The commercials on KUPD are fun to listen to.

How does one discover new music if they only listen to songs they have downloaded?
Exactly. From a "radio" perspective, there's nothing more satisfying than the serendipity of coming across one of your favorite songs when scanning around on the radio - much better than simply playing it yourself, IMO. I have a few hundred GB of songs on my laptop, nearly 1000 albums and over 1000 CDs, but I only occasionally listen to most of that music, as I like skimming around the radio dial (both terrestrial radio and SiriusXM) hunting for new songs (or older songs I've never heard before) to discover. I have a few hundred pics of songs from my car display (for SiriusXM stations) so I can go back and find them later and if I hear something on terrestrial radio, I'll either write down a key lyric or hope the DJ announces the song.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT