ADVERTISEMENT

Football New radio homes for football, basketball

As for the massive "driving during an away game" crowd we have:

9/3 @ BC is no conflict
9/17 @ Temple is likely no conflict (can't see how that would be a night game)
10/1 @OSU is likely a conflict but why would you be driving during that game?
I actually try to go out get stuff done on Saturdays so I appreciate being able to check in on the game when it’s on the radio.

Reactions: Rutgers56
We can listen to carton’s anti gambling show Saturday morning to put us in the mood to lay some coin on the knights !

• Haha
Reactions: tico brown
You’re missing the point. The talk show hosts on WFAN will now have to promote us,, not ridicule us.
I didn't miss that point at all. I listen all the time and yes, they WILL have to promote us. I just felt it was a great time to put down Syracuse fans who like to live in the past, as if they will be rolling out Jim Brown and Ernie Davis.

Terrible

Will always get moved to lesser stations because of Mets Yankees and pro sports
Your comment makes no sense. WCBS News Radio 880 is certainly the most eminent news station in the tristate area and the reception is great, even in Philadelphia. For the rest, mostly the reception and promotion matter.

Reactions: Rutgers56
This is HUGE. More eyeballs on RU football and basketball. All the shows will have to promote us more and at least take some calls in season. Not to mention potential NIL deals through ad reads on the station. Great job by Hobbs.
More eyeballs? On radio? Maybe eardrums. Lol

Seriously, I get your point! More exposure and promotion. All really good stuff for all of us.

Reactions: Corycord1
Will say going to miss the local coverage on WCTC on game days.
Listening to the Tailgate show while Tailgating in the Yellow Lot.
Post game player interviews, etc. all be gone.
We will however broaden our reach in the biggest Media market in the Country. B1G take note.

Will say going to miss the local coverage on WCTC on game days.
Listening to the Tailgate show while Tailgating in the Yellow Lot.
Post game player interviews, etc. all be gone.
We will however broaden our reach in the biggest Media market in the Country. B1G take note.
The "On The Banks" article said WCTC would still carry the games. Is there more updated information out there about this?

WCTC started carrying Rutgers football games in 1947. This fall will be their 75th year of broadcasting Rutgers football.

The "On The Banks" article said WCTC would still carry the games. Is there more updated information out there about this?

WCTC started carrying Rutgers football games in 1947. This fall will be their 75th year of broadcasting Rutgers football.
Hope so. Tonight, I tried to listen to the Mets/Phillies game on WCBS on the Audacy App while in Sedona, AZ. Got a message that because of broadcast rights and being out of the area, the game could not be broadcast in my listening area. That blows. I don't recall this happening on TuneIn Radio. I tried to load WCBS on TuneIn, and it appears Audacy may have exclusive rights with WCBS. Maybe this was unique to a MLB game, and hopefully RU fans outside of the NYC/Northeast will be able to listen to the games (if they are not in front of a TV to watch).

Hope so. Tonight, I tried to listen to the Mets/Phillies game on WCBS on the Audacy App while in Sedona, AZ. Got a message that because of broadcast rights and being out of the area, the game could not be broadcast in my listening area. That blows. I don't recall this happening on TuneIn Radio. I tried to load WCBS on TuneIn, and it appears Audacy may have exclusive rights with WCBS. Maybe this was unique to a MLB game, and hopefully RU fans outside of the NYC/Northeast will be able to listen to the games (if they are not in front of a TV to watch).

Tonight's game was on FOX so that might have been the broadcast issue.

Try MLB App. You have to pay for out of market games but I think the radio feeds are free.

Reactions: Knight Shift
MLB broadcast rules are different than college football. You’ll be able to listen to RU.

Reactions: rume
I can't figure out those that think this is a negative in any way.

Here's the St. John's Play by Play Announcer and broadcasting professional David J. Halberstam on the deal.

Sports Broadcast Journal

Big hit for Rutgers in a big place like NYC: Football on WFAN, Hoops on WCBS; SJU’s Jack Kaiser dies

So it’s ironic, the day that Kaiser sadly passed at 95, a name always interchangeable with St. John’s Athletics, Rutgers, completed a deal with co-owned WCBS and WFAN for its basketball and football.

The Johnnies, meanwhile, are on one of two lightbulbs, stations that you can hardly hear over the edges of New Jersey. I can’t tell you how hard Jack worked and urged me to persist. We landed WCBS for St. John’s in 1984. In 1991, we moved the games to WFAN.

The Knights were on WOR, a strong signal and a rich heritage of well known personalities. But not a listener under the age of 65. When Rutgers to its credit snared an association with two huge personality, news and sports driven stations, it threw everything but the kitchen sink at the stations to close the deal. How SJU lost WFAN is mindboggling? The Big Ten beat the Big East in its backyard. This deal was for St. John’s to lose and like many things recently the Redstorm failed. Sad.

Yes according to the On The Banks article, WCTC will continue as before. This deal simply replaces the WOR deal.

That would also seem to indicate that other stations carrying our games in South Jersey / Philly, will also continue.

As far as the Audacity app, I'm guessing that the ScarletKnights app will continue to have the game audio from Learfield/IMG.

Was WOR-AM considered the "flagship" station for Rutgers Football since 1992 thru to today? I thought WCTC returned to flaship status some time around 2010 or so?

Just checking in on the "all our games are going to moved anyway" posts.
Sat 9/17 (@ Temple) was announced as 2pm and has moved from "maybe a conflict if it's a night game" to "no conflict".

Sat 9/3 Noon: Mets 7:15 Yankees 6:10
Sat 9/10 4pm: Mets 6:10 Yankees 1:05
Sat 9/17 2pm: Mets 7:10 Yankees 7:10
Sat 9/24 TBA: Mets 4:07 Yankees 1:05
Sat 10/1 3:30: Mets 7:20 Yankees 1:05pm
Fri 10/7 7pm:
Sat 10/22 Noon:
Sat 10/29 TBA:
Sat 11/5 TBA:
Sat 11/12 TBA:
Sat 11/19 TBA:
Sat 11/26 TBA: