ADVERTISEMENT

OT: KRock 92.3 Is Now 1010WINS Simulcast

WCBS 880 is a 50,000-watt station. You can't be any stronger than that. WCBS and WFAN 660 can be heard as far south as the DMV area and as far north as the Boston area. Not sure why the signal breaks up.

AM radio signals propagate in 2 ways - direct to the horizon and by bouncing off the ionosphere. This is why you can sometimes hear AM stations very far away (and usually at night). The result is that there's generally a gap between the groundwave propagation zone and the sky wave propagation zone.

sw-tips-image1.jpg

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Sad times. But look at the disaster that is Audacy and you will see why. Horribly mismanaged and bankruptcy isn’t far away.
Think otherwise ? Grab yourself some AUD stock for 37 cents. What a shitshow.
New Arrivals, the 92.3 HD2 station is still live in Audacy. In the car, the signal was weak, but it is a decent station that plays newer alternative music.

AM radio signals propagate in 2 ways - direct to the horizon and by bouncing off the ionosphere. This is why you can sometimes hear AM stations very far away (and usually at night). The result is that there's generally a gap between the groundwave propagation zone and the sky wave propagation zone.

sw-tips-image1.jpg
I'm familiar with how it works.

sw-tips-image1.jpg
As a kid growing up a Boston Celtics fan, with my little transistor radio on rainy nights I could pick up WBZ 1030 am Boston. I would listen to Hall of Fame announcer Jonny Most call those games. So yes, it's crazy how far am signals can travel.

Yeah, but not NYC, just like the legendary WLIR (Long Island) wasn't back in the 80s, nor the equally legendary FM 106.3 in Eatontown.
So now 106.3 & 106.5 is broadcast out of Neptune City and carres the only Country Rock Music in the tri-state area, I believe. When heading to AC just past Seaside Heights I can start to pick up Cat Country 107.1

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is not very interesting. We go to Arizona several time per year. The Phoenix and surrounding area has some fantastic stations. KUPD is a great hard rock station. KKLD (The Cloud) is a fun "hits" station playing hit songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s. The commercials on KUPD are fun to listen to.

How does one discover new music if they only listen to songs they have downloaded?

Exactly. From a "radio" perspective, there's nothing more satisfying than the serendipity of coming across one of your favorite songs when scanning around on the radio - much better than simply playing it yourself, IMO. I have a few hundred GB of songs on my laptop, nearly 1000 albums and over 1000 CDs, but I only occasionally listen to most of that music, as I like skimming around the radio dial (both terrestrial radio and SiriusXM) hunting for new songs (or older songs I've never heard before) to discover. I have a few hundred pics of songs from my car display (for SiriusXM stations) so I can go back and find them later and if I hear something on terrestrial radio, I'll either write down a key lyric or hope the DJ announces the song.
Most people are streaming music with Spotify or similar apps, not listening to downloaded music. Those apps use AI recommendation engines based on your interests and listening to suggest new songs, artists, playlists, etc., so discovering new music isn't an issue. Think of the recommendation engine as your virtual DJ... You can also jump around the app just like you do the radio.

Last edited:
Most people are streaming music with Spotify or similar apps, not listening to downloaded music. Those apps use AI recommendation engines based on your interests and listening to suggest new songs, artists, playlists, etc., so discovering new music isn't an issue. Think of the recommendation engine as your virtual DJ... You can also jump around the app just like you do the radio.

I loathe Spotify.

For new and alternative rock, it does not get any better than altrok, 90.5 FM HD2 from Brookdale Community College.

For hard rock, Crucial Velocity on Tuned In is great.

Also listen to KUPD out of Phoenix on Tuned In. SiriusXM turned to total crap and don't subscribe any more

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm familiar with how it works.

If you were genuinely familiar with how it works then you wouldn't have written this.

WCBS and WFAN 660 can be heard as far south as the DMV area and as far north as the Boston area. Not sure why the signal breaks up.

The signal breaks up because it's out of LOS range. It can be heard at distance (sometimes) because of the ionosphere skip.

I loathe Spotify.

For new and alternative rock, it does not get any better than altrok, 90.5 FM HD2 from Brookdale Community College.

For hard rock, Crucial Velocity on Tuned In is great.

Also listen to KUPD out of Phoenix on Tuned In. SiriusXM turned to total crap and don't subscribe any more
Not a huge Spotify fan and 90.5 is great (a host of former WHTG alums there), but you're just way off base on Sirius XM. So many great channels to choose from (although I'm still annoyed they moved the Loft to on-line only, since I mostly listen in the car) - I have about 30 presets and cycle through them frequently to hear interesting/cool songs ion channels that include ndie, alt, metal, R&B, punk, soul, country, big hits from every decade, pop, hip-hop, Americana, bluegrass, EDM, chill, blues, jazz, and some selected artist channels, like the Beatles, Bruce, U2, etc. And I sometimes spin through my non preset channels too. Have had it for a long time and don't understand why you say it "turned to crap" as I have barely noticed any changes other than a few channel changes.

sw-tips-image1.jpg
The graphic nicely illustrates the concept of LOS, but you have to admit, it's funny to imagine we have towers that are about 2500 miles high (if that graphic were drawn to scale)...

Not a huge Spotify fan and 90.5 is great (a host of former WHTG alums there), but you're just way off base on Sirius XM. So many great channels to choose from (although I'm still annoyed they moved the Loft to on-line only, since I mostly listen in the car) - I have about 30 presets and cycle through them frequently to hear interesting/cool songs ion channels that include ndie, alt, metal, R&B, punk, soul, country, big hits from every decade, pop, hip-hop, Americana, bluegrass, EDM, chill, blues, jazz, and some selected artist channels, like the Beatles, Bruce, U2, etc. And I sometimes spin through my non preset channels too. Have had it for a long time and don't understand why you say it "turned to crap" as I have barely noticed any changes other than a few channel changes.
To each their own. What I find on TuneIn Radio is far superior to what I listened to on SiriusXM.

You can still listen to the XM online exclusive channels in the car using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT