ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Learn how to cook like an Italian

Once you taste her food you'll be addicted. Between her, my mom and my other Aunt I've always had good cooks around me. And I learned how to cook from them.
Same here. Even my Polish grandma cooked Italian.

Instead of "Brother can you spare a dime?," I'm singing, "Nonna can you spare a jar?"

Now that's the way to make sauce. Looks like tomatoes and basil fresh from the garden too. I'm assuming your aunt is from southern Italy. My mom was from Napoli and that reminds me of her sauce!

Yes,

My mom and dad and Aunt came from outside of Monte Cassino in a peasant area between Rome and Naples. My cousin used to sing opera in Naples. My uncle and his family moved to Pescara, which is on the Adriatic.

https://www.hideawayreport.com/articles/view/pescara-by-the-sea-abruzzo-italy/

Reactions: RC1991 and RUboston
My mom and dad and Aunt came from outside of Monte Cassino in a peasant area between Rome and Naples.
Both of father's parents were born in Arnara, near Frosinone.
What time is Sunday Supper paisan?

Reactions: RU_DIO
My ex's parents used to make homemade pasta. They said using that machine to make the noodles was cheating, They used something called a violin. It was a box with metal strings and you pressed the dough hard on it so it makes the fine noodles. I used to piss them off cause I always called the gravy " sauce".

Reactions: Knightmoves
The pasta grannies have a YouTube channel to preserve the art of making fresh pasta

My wife got the fresh(well not as fresh as making it yourself) at the store. She ruined it forever, I can't eat that dehydrated box hard stuff. Every time we have it all I get from her is, "you better not start bitching because it's not fresh".

Reactions: RUforester72
Sauce ?

Thought it was Gravy !

Friends of mine in Ocean Twsp.
From Brooklyn Heights.

I pull up to a car broken down on the GSP South. It's Liz's Mom and Dad coming down for dinner.
Mom was going to cook. Had all her pots and pans in the back seat along with jugs of the water from Brooklyn. Also bread and various meats. "You can't get anything decent in New Jersey,"

Awesome videos Italian food is so good. The cuisine is one of the best in the world. Anyone can cook it especially with the guidance of Grama’s. You walk into the kitchen of just about any Italian restaurant in NJ and NY and you have Mexican’s making all of the food.

Just out of curiosity, why is the red stuff called “gravy” by some and “sauce “ by others?

It's Liz's Mom and Dad coming down for dinner.
Mom was going to cook. Had all her pots and pans in the back seat along with jugs of the water from Brooklyn. Also bread and various meats. "You can't get anything decent in New Jersey,"
Must be the rat poop which adds to the flavor from Brooklyn. But your in-laws will not find a finer tomato then right here in Jersey. Tomatoes prefer a slightly acidic soli which Jersey has plenty of.

How about some gnocchi.

My high school buddies were all either born in Italia or were Italian-American. More than a few times we made gnocchi from scratch on a Friday/Saturday night, rather than "go out." My recipe. To speed things, I always peeled and sliced the potatoes (Yukon Gold!), and not boil them whole. After my first feeding, no one objected to that non-traditional short cut. Simple "sauce" was garlic carmelized in butter with sea salt. Drizzled over gnocchi then finished with ground black pepper and dusted with Pecorino Romano. So good.... That tradition continued on at Rutgers.

My high school buddies were all either born in Italia or were Italian-American. More than a few times we made gnocchi from scratch on a Friday/Saturday night, rather than "go out." My recipe. To speed things, I always peeled and sliced the potatoes (Yukon Gold!), and not boil them whole. After my first feeding, no one objected to that non-traditional short cut. Simple "sauce" was garlic carmelized in butter with sea salt. Drizzled over gnocchi then finished with ground black pepper and dusted with Pecorino Romano. So good.... That tradition continued on at Rutgers.

Sounds delicious

Awesome Tik Tok's videos of 84 year old Italian lady from New Jersey showing us how to cook like an old school Italian. She has almost 700,000 followers.

And she's my Aunt.

https://twitter.com/growingupitalia/status/1292511497516613632?lang=en

Great stuff! Grew up in a heavily Italian neighborhood in SNJ about 10 miles SSE of South Philly, where a ton of South Philly Italians moved to in the 50s and 60s, so a couple of my best friends growing up had moms who made the best freakin' food. I'll never forget going to some of their 7-course holiday meals. So good. Our neighborhood also used to do block parties with about 15-20 families every 4th of July and Labor Day and there was some incredible Italian food and always a ton of fresh seafood, plus there would always be bocce ball games going on. I recall eating dozens of steamers and raw clams and a ton of fried calamari every year (hey it was free, lol).

Also, had a coworker for years whose parents were from Italy and he used to describe how they'd all get together (him and his 3 siblings with the parents and grandkids) and spend a whole weekend doing exactly what your video showed, making a few hundred jars of sauce. I got one once and it was amazing. Love Italian food - also a big fan of Lidia Bastianich's show on PBS (and her restaurant, Becco, in NYC).

Great stuff! Grew up in a heavily Italian neighborhood in SNJ about 10 miles SSE of South Philly, where a ton of South Philly Italians moved to in the 50s and 60s, so a couple of my best friends growing up had moms who made the best freakin' food. I'll never forget going to some of their 7-course holiday meals. So good. Our neighborhood also used to do block parties with about 15-20 families every 4th of July and Labor Day and there was some incredible Italian food and always a ton of fresh seafood, plus there would always be bocce ball games going on. I recall eating dozens of steamers and raw clams and a ton of fried calamari every year (hey it was free, lol).

Also, had a coworker for years whose parents were from Italy and he used to describe how they'd all get together (him and his 3 siblings with the parents and grandkids) and spend a whole weekend doing exactly what your video showed, making a few hundred jars of sauce. I got one once and it was amazing. Love Italian food - also a big fan of Lidia Bastianich's show on PBS (and her restaurant, Becco, in NYC).

My Aunt lives 1 town over from you.

Yes,

My mom and dad and Aunt came from outside of Monte Cassino in a peasant area between Rome and Naples. My cousin used to sing opera in Naples. My uncle and his family moved to Pescara, which is on the Adriatic.

https://www.hideawayreport.com/articles/view/pescara-by-the-sea-abruzzo-italy/

That looks like an amazing place. I haven't been back to Italy in a long while but my mother's family all stayed there except an uncle who lived in Brooklyn for about 10 years before going back when I was a kid. Those were some amazing Sunday dinners as he was a better cook than my mother. My family there is in the tourism business and own a Vesuvian villa where they do events. It's located in Ercolano. They used to have a hotel in Calabria. I was visiting in the offseason (November) when the hotel was closed and my uncle took me to see it and one of the guys working there made an amazing lunch (pranza!). I asked if he was the chef but it turns out he was a carpenter. Cooking is definitely in the genes in Italians!

https://www.villasignorini.it/en/home-2/

How about some gnocchi.

My mom grew up during WWII in Naples and the family had to evacuate at one point and stay on a farm. She said all they had were potatoes and ate a LOT of gnocchi. It took her a while to get back into eating gnocchi after pretty much having it everyday for a year but it was a pretty regular item when I was growing up.

Out here in Washington it's kind of an Italian food desert - no Italian bakeries or pork stores. We did find 2 places that have good pizza - one is owned by a Sicilian guy and the other by a Jersey guy. Otherwise I make my own and stock up on San Marzano tomatoes when they are available!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT