ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Least Favorite Athlete

Nah, at least Red Sox fans understand baseball…
Proud RED SOX fan, and easy to understand that the SOX are the most successful MLB team of the 21st century. Glad knowing that that other team that Jeter played for has become an afterthought.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
This thread cracks me up. Just dripping with hatred and/or exposed biases. 🤣

I'm gonna text message God and complain that my hatred gene is malfunctioning. Reading the thread, it seems like some of you keep a list. And I just can't understand that.

Anyway, I apologize for my lack of hatred and promise to get to work on developing some.

Also dislike Moses Malone, saw him in person. Not a good guy at all.

This thread cracks me up. Just dripping with hatred and/or exposed biases. 🤣

I'm gonna text message God and complain that my hatred gene is malfunctioning. Reading the thread, it seems like some of you keep a list. And I just can't understand that.

Anyway, I apologize for my lack of hatred and promise to get to work on developing some.
A “least favorite athlete” poll = hatred and bias? I view this thread as no different than if someone posted a “least favorite vegetable” poll. Which, by the way, mine is asparagus for obvious reasons.

A “least favorite athlete” poll = hatred and bias? I view this thread as no different than if someone posted a “least favorite vegetable” poll. Which, by the way, mine is asparagus for obvious reasons.
The OP question is okay, I guess. For sure we here in NJ love to complain so any thread about "least favorite" anything will be popular.

But it's a lot of the responses that are clearly exposing some hatred and biases. It helps to keep in mind the overall body of work for some of the respondents. Hatred ain't great, but biases aren't necessarily bad things (e.g. Mets fans that dislike Yankee players).

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
The OP question is okay, I guess. For sure we here in NJ love to complain so any thread about "least favorite" anything will be popular.

But it's a lot of the responses that are clearly exposing some hatred and biases. It helps to keep in mind the overall body of work for some of the respondents. Hatred ain't great, but biases aren't necessarily bad things (e.g. Mets fans that dislike Yankee players).
Is racial bias the only bad kind of bias ? Serious question.

Is racial bias the only bad kind of bias ? Serious question.
That's a complex question for which I don't have a simple or brief answer.

In general, we all have tons of biases and most of us aren't even all that aware of most of them. People tend to identify biases revolving around ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality as bad biases. But even that's oversimplified because there are negative and positive biases (e.g. someone who loves natural blonde hair).

So I'll hypothesize that insofar as any type of bias might artificially narrow our thinking on a particular subject, that's bad if the goal of our thinking is to reach an objectively, provably, deterministic answer.

I say hypothesize because I'm not sure that's right or not. But it seems like it could be.

And not every dislike or criticism is a bias.
Hm. I think that's probably incorrect, but I'll have to think about it more.

In the meantime, can you think of any expressed dislike or criticism that isn't also expressing a bias of some sort?

I don't like fish or seafood. Is that not a bias against fish or seafood?

If you don’t like a government decision and fail to dislike because perceptions of bias, that’s a bias. One can be a fan of something and still can dislike something done by a person or team, as well as enjoy something done by someone or team you don’t support.

L
That's a complex question for which I don't have a simple or brief answer.

In general, we all have tons of biases and most of us aren't even all that aware of most of them. People tend to identify biases revolving around ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality as bad biases. But even that's oversimplified because there are negative and positive biases (e.g. someone who loves natural blonde hair).

So I'll hypothesize that insofar as any type of bias might artificially narrow our thinking on a particular subject, that's bad if the goal of our thinking is to reach an objectively, provably, deterministic answer.

I say hypothesize because I'm not sure that's right or not. But it seems like it could be.
Have you ever had the pleasure of receiving training on "unconscious bias?" There are four day seminars on unconscious bias. I sat through a 2 hour training session that involved this topic.

Wondered if the phrase should be "subconscious bias" instead of "unconscious bias."

Reactions: mildone
Lebron, Connor McGregor, Eric Devendorf

Its possible to respect a player's ability and talent, but still dislike them

I respect Lebrons ability though, but dislike him for things he has said and done, orchestrating the firing of a coach, super teams, etc.

And there are so many players that drove me nuts as a fan, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Jason Whitten, to name a few, but would love to have them on my team.

Reactions: newell138
I could make a long list if I really thought about it

A few that come to mind off the bat

Lebron James- a total fraud and hypocrite
Donavan McNabb
Brad Marchand
Sean Avery
Tie Domi
Eric Lindros

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138
L

Have you ever had the pleasure of receiving training on "unconscious bias?" There are four day seminars on unconscious bias. I sat through a 2 hour training session that involved this topic.

Wondered if the phrase should be "subconscious bias" instead of "unconscious bias."
Where do you think my fondness for sheep came from? 🙂

Lebron
Megan Rapinoe
John Papelbon
Pedro Martinez
The 1991-93 cowboys
Barry Bonds

The dude from Maryland who alligator roll tackled Vedrals ankle season before last.

I think we might be related. 😍

The hatred of Lebron James is hysterical. The best player in NBA history who actually has the audacity to comment on the inequities and unfairness in our society is pilloried for his views. A player who has lived his life the right way. Just shows that people are not judged on their character but on “other” things. The critics can live in their denial of things, in the end it’s not going to really matter.

LOL. I tried to keep you around because you're a guitar guy. But you're a stupid stupid stupid guy.

The hatred of Lebron James is hysterical. The best player in NBA history who actually has the audacity to comment on the inequities and unfairness in our society is pilloried for his views. A player who has lived his life the right way. Just shows that people are not judged on their character but on “other” things. The critics can live in their denial of things, in the end it’s not going to really matter.
I'm not a fan of the NBA and really couldn't care less about Lebron or his political views. He's quick to criticize this country while ignoring issues in countries where he makes a lot of $$. What really turned me off is when he criticized that Columbus, OH cop who shot that girl, preventing another from being stabbed. Then the video of the incident came out and everyone realized the officer did what he had to do... except Lebron who brought up the white cop shooting the innocent black.

The dude from Maryland who alligator roll tackled Vedrals ankle season before last.
Okay. That one I agree fully agree with.

I'm not gonna lie, though, and claim I didn't giggle slightly maliciously when the napping Screw claimed to be related to you because y'all hate the same people.

But then I'm a douchebag and malicious giggling is one of my many character flaws.

Another Leftist throwing around the race card not knowing doing so makes you the lamest person in the discussion.

Yeah we all hate black guys while spending years on a College Football web site and supporting our team and it's players.
Funny, because I always thought judging people based on their political preferences made people the lamest person in any discussion.

Huh. Oh well, who knew? 😀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT