ADVERTISEMENT

OT:LET'S GO METS

First year in a loooonnnngggg time I watched a full 9 inning game. NLDS and NLCS were incredible, Royals earned it though. Losing last year I think was a big help to them mentally. Murphy certainly came back to reality but it was pretty cool watching him in the 2 prior series. I do have to say, as exciting as it was, it really is a slow game. I kept falling asleep the last 2 games, I dont remember that ever happening during a football game.

Great season with a frustrating ending. They played like the pre-August Mets in the Series with no hitting, bad defense, a lousy bullpen and questionable managing. Thank you to Cespedes who carried this offense on his back into the playoffs. Thank you to Murphy who put on a show in the first two rounds and has been the most consistent hitter on the team for years. And thank you to Colon for 30 wins in 2 seasons; I was always entertained watching him. These 3 guys will likely not return next year, but hopefully the Wilpons reinvest that money.

See you next year. LGM.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Except I am afraid herrera hits .240 next year. Don't know what he will hit.

Mets need bullpen arms.

The biggest loss of the year was Jerry Blevins breaking his arm..in true Met's fashion TWICE (the second time falling off a curb for crissakes).

This team will win 85 games next year with Rusty Staub in the outfield and Wally Backman at second. What takes them from very good, to 93+ wins will be the bullpen.

We need situational relievers to supplement Familia.

Reed is the eighth inning guy next year. He is the only one of the rentals who isn't a rental.

After all these years, who ever thought we'd miss Ollie Perez?

Great season from the preseason expectations. So close to taking it all, a few plays late in three games. We will see what changes are made in the offsets on to reload and address shorrcomings. We should be a division contender for many years with this rotation. Find some bullpen help, tweak the lineup and bench, and let's do it again in 2016!

Well, the better team won...but the Mets certainly had their chances and it was a nice run. I need time to digest what I saw this past week and not over-react. However, I would certainly not overpay for a long-term Cespedes deal. There is a reason he has been on four teams in as many years, and we just saw it during the last week.

Also, I like Murphy's heart and his incredible post-season hitting until the World Series. However, either he or Flores (or both) needs to go since the Mets are so weak up the middle. I wouldn't mind Murphy at 3rd but unfortunately, I think the Mets will be platooning Wright and someone else next year.
I think Wright is just about done. Hopefully, if he is, he steps aside.

We need a bat to replace Cespedes (I'm assuming we don't sign him), a defense-first 2nd baseman, SS, or both, and lots of help in the bullpen.

Although you never can have enough pitching, I'm ok with giving up one of the 5 young starters (I'm including Wheeler) for some of what is needed.

I'm not up on every roster in baseball, but there aren't a lot of majors ready 2B out there that you're gonna trade one of these arms for. If you use one of those bullets, you need to bring back a corner outfielder who can hit 30 homers for a decade.

Zobrist is a free agent. I'd sign him in a second.

Well, the better team won...but the Mets certainly had their chances and it was a nice run. I need time to digest what I saw this past week and not over-react. However, I would certainly not overpay for a long-term Cespedes deal. There is a reason he has been on four teams in as many years, and we just saw it during the last week.

Also, I like Murphy's heart and his incredible post-season hitting until the World Series. However, either he or Flores (or both) needs to go since the Mets are so weak up the middle. I wouldn't mind Murphy at 3rd but unfortunately, I think the Mets will be platooning Wright and someone else next year.
I think Wright is just about done. Hopefully, if he is, he steps aside.

We need a bat to replace Cespedes (I'm assuming we don't sign him), a defense-first 2nd baseman, SS, or both, and lots of help in the bullpen.

Although you never can have enough pitching, I'm ok with giving up one of the 5 young starters (I'm including Wheeler) for some of what is needed.
Yes, the better team won, no shame in that. But let's be honest, the Mets didn't belong in the WS. It took a lot of things to make this happen:

- Playing in one of the worse divisions in the history of baseball (3 putrid teams and 1 one of most underachieving teams ever)
- Getting matched up with the no-heart Dodgers
- Have the best team in the NL (Cards) get injured at the wrong time
- Murphy having a hot streak that he never had before and will never have again

We also found out that Harvey is Mr. Choke and Familia is Benitez 2.0, which should be very concerning for the future. But overall, congrats, good season!

The one thing the Mets have left in their organization is middle infielders. Reynolds is on the horizon and Cecchini and Rosario are not far behind. Mets perceive Rosario as a starting SS for ten years. The question is, starting when?

A better manager and a couple of bats, combined with this pitching staff, you could see the Mets back next year.

There is no chance they won't bring Collins back. He'd have to retire for them to hire somebody else.

Harvey is Mr. Choke?

I know your reason for being is stir the pot, but there are comments that make you look dumb. That is one.

He is ego driven for sure. But he didn't "choke." He pitched a game that would have put him in World Series lore. His dopey manager just left him in 2 batters too long. He got beat, he didn't choke. The other team gets paid too.

Harvey is Mr. Choke?

I know your reason for being is stir the pot, but there are comments that make you look dumb. That is one.

He is ego driven for sure. But he didn't "choke." He pitched a game that would have put him in World Series lore. His dopey manager just left him in 2 batters too long. He got beat, he didn't choke. The other team gets paid too.
Winners don't make excuses, they get the job done. Besides, he choked in game 1 as well.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Don't feed Traz's warped logic.

In his world, there would be no bullpen. No pitcher would ever get tired. And getting beat on a particular pitch is an excuse.

Silliness...

Reactions: redking
Yes, the better team won, no shame in that. But let's be honest, the Mets didn't belong in the WS. It took a lot of things to make this happen...
Welcome back, troll! You were missing from this thread for so long!

Nice list of reasons you had there to demonstrate why the Mets absolutely belonged in the World Series. We took care of business in our division, outplayed the Dodgers with the best 1-2 starting punch in all of MLB, and crushed the Cubbies. Cardinals got hurt? Cry me a river with all of the injuries the Mets had to deal with this season, too.

And get used to seeing the Mets playing meaningful September games because that will happen for years if this staff stays healthy. The future is bright!

Don't feed Traz's warped logic.

In his world, there would be no bullpen. No pitcher would ever get tired. And getting beat on a particular pitch is an excuse.

Silliness...
Harvey is a nice #3 starter, but Mr. 25-18 lifetime record just doesn't come up big in big spots. That's fine.

Welcome back, troll! You were missing from this thread for so long!

Nice list of reasons you had there to demonstrate why the Mets absolutely belonged in the World Series. We took care of business in our division, outplayed the Dodgers with the best 1-2 starting punch in all of MLB, and crushed the Cubbies. Cardinals got hurt? Cry me a river with all of the injuries the Mets had to deal with this season, too.

And get used to seeing the Mets playing meaningful September games because that will happen for years if this staff stays healthy. The future is bright!
I'm sure you also thought the future was bright after 1986 and with Generation K. But honestly, it's nice for the JV team to do well from time to time. Once again, congrats!

Harvey is a nice #3 starter, but Mr. 25-18 lifetime record just doesn't come up big in big spots. That's fine.

He'd be the # 1 starter on your collection of has beens and probably wonts.

$250MM doesn't get you as much as it used to, huh?

Great season by the Mets (from a Yankees fan)! Very jealous of the rotation - should be set for the next several years which should keep you guys in contention. Ironic thing is that the Mets might have won it all if they had the Yankees bullpen.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Congratulations to the Mets for making it to the World Series!

Just like I said yesterday, this team needs to upgrade the catcher position and trade for a hitting short stop. The offense comes to a screeching halt after 3 or 4 batters and that has been the difference in the series.
I'm not sure d'Arnaud is the real issue. The reality is the guy calls a great game for the pitchers. That's valuable with young, talented arms. We know d'Arnaud can hit and hit for power, but I'd like to see him get more consistent. The thing he really, really needs to improve on is throwing out runners. He's become just awful at it.

As for a hitting shortstop, I agree on that completely. If they can get a legit shortstop I'm inclined to move Flores to second (his natural position).

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
I'm not sure d'Arnaud is the real issue. The reality is the guy calls a great game for the pitchers. That's valuable with young, talented arms. We know d'Arnaud can hit and hit for power, but I'd like to see him get more consistent. The thing he really, really needs to improve on is throwing out runners. He's become just awful at it.

As for a hitting shortstop, I agree on that completely. If they can get a legit shortstop I'm inclined to move Flores to second (his natural position).

Agree. d'Arnoud is not an issue. Although is arm was really lifeless against the Royals.

I wonder if Neise could be morphed into a Ramiro Mendoza style pitcher who is a long man and/or bridges the gap between the 6th and the 8th.

Next year's rotation is going to continue to have innings limits with Wheeler (due back June) and Matz (has never really been stretched out yet). There is a spot for Niese on the staff, for sure, as a spot starter and a quality long man. I think he showed he can warm up and come in and pitch well without the routine of being a starter.

The Mets have too many non hitters in the lineup to win that series. The pitching staff is something to build around. Still cannot believe how much movement Syndeguard sure it's not spelled right gets on his 99mph fastball that's incredible. They did very well to get to the big dance

I don't know if they are "non-hitters" or not. But they sure are streaky hitters and we rely on the long ball too much. When Murhp, Cespedes and Duda end up respnsible for less than 4 runs in 5 games, it's amazing that every game was ours to lose in the late innings.

Conforto needs some more discipline, but is clearly a star in the making.

d'Arnoud has hit 300 with power at every stop. He was on pace for that this year, before missing 6 weeks.

Grandy is a pro's pro.

Flores is what he is. If your SS gives you .265-.270 with 65 RBIs and 16 homers, and can field even a lick, you can live with it.

The Mets have to decide if Lagares is the long term answer in center. An outfield with a gold glover in center and Grandy and Conforto combining for 50 homers is acceptable with this pitching.

I would make a play for Zobrist. Slide him in at second. Tejada/Flores platoon at SS. also gives you 3 guys that can each play both positions adequately--better than Murph.

Duda isn't going anywhere at the combination of production and salary.

That leaves the 1,000 pound elephant in the room--David Wright.

Gotta find a way to scuttle Cuddyer and Parnell (not sure of his contract status).

See if Uribe and Johnson are willing to be bench guys for a full 162.

Shore up the pen...

If Lagares is not the long term answer in CF, Nimmo may be. Expect a midseason callup, and we'll see what happens from there.

Between Rosario and Cecchini, there's your SS - eventually. Problem is, Rosario isn't projected to be ready for another couple of years. Cecchini could be another midseason callup. I expect he starts 2016 at AAA.

Parnell will not be back. He is either a free agent or arbitration eligible, I forget which, but I do know he is not under contract. Cuddyer, of course, is another story.

Niese is the fifth starter, at least until Wheeler returns.

Ironic how everyone wanted to run Grandy out of town a year ago. Now he's the MVP of a WS team.

Absolutely correct about the 1000 pound elephant.

If Lagares is not the long term answer in CF, Nimmo may be. Expect a midseason callup, and we'll see what happens from there.

Between Rosario and Cecchini, there's your SS - eventually. Problem is, Rosario isn't projected to be ready for another couple of years. Cecchini could be another midseason callup. I expect he starts 2016 at AAA.

Ironic how everyone wanted to run Grandy out of town a year ago. Now he's the MVP of a WS team.

Absolutely correct about the 1000 pound elephant.

I expect to see Nimo too. But is his bat enough to be an every day starter on a playoff team this soon? Will be interesting.

My take on who stays and who goes. I'm not gonna say who should stay because you can base that on who I believe will be gone.

Clippard-Gone. Let him walk
Colon-Gone-Thanks but someone will give him another shot if he decides to continue.
Johnson-Gone. He contributed, but he was a rental and at this stage of his career he's a journeyman backup and those kind of guys are nomads.
Murphy-Gone. Thanks for the memories of the 1st two rounds but it's time for a different type of player.
Uribe-Gone. Thanks for the contributions and the mentorship of the younger players.
Cespedes-Gone. Thanks for carrying the team on your back for stretches but the deal you want isn't coming from us nor am I sure it should.
Nieuwenheis-Gone

Now there are some other guys who I would add to this list except their contracts are not up and there's no way you could unload them unless you eat their contracts. Cuddyer immediately comes to mind. Stuck with him pretty much.

With Cespedes soon to be gone I could see them possibly moving Lagares and another player or two in a deal for an offensive upgrade in centerfield. Or they could possibly look to add someone to platoon with him. Conforto and Granderson are sure to man the corner OF spots.

Wright is another one they're saddled with until he decides to hang em up. And right now I don't know of a replacement waiting in the wings like there are at other positions.

Duda is gonna be around as a placeholder until they deem Dominic Smith to be ready. Don't know if he's on as fast a track as Conforto because he was drafted out of high school and is still only 20. But I definitely see him starting next season at the AA level.

I suppose Flores is also a possibility to be moved if they can land a more athletic, pure SS. They have to add more speed and that's another position I could see them attempting to do so. Dude is slow. I couldn't believe how much he was out by on a fairly slow hit grounder to short that turned into a DP in game 5.

I don't know if they are "non-hitters" or not. But they sure are streaky hitters and we rely on the long ball too much. When Murhp, Cespedes and Duda end up respnsible for less than 4 runs in 5 games, it's amazing that every game was ours to lose in the late innings.

Compared to teams other than the Royals, the Mets aren't incredibly dependent on the home run. They could use some better bats for sure, but I'm not sure in today's game that you can succeed with a Royals-type model without the Royals' personnel. Keep in mind that the Royals basically won this year and last year through a series of hair's-breadth escapes. They were a better team than the Mets in the WS, but the margin actually was pretty thin, and you even could say it was the managers.

Compared to teams other than the Royals, the Mets aren't incredibly dependent on the home run. They could use some better bats for sure, but I'm not sure in today's game that you can succeed with a Royals-type model without the Royals' personnel. Keep in mind that the Royals basically won this year and last year through a series of hair's-breadth escapes. They were a better team than the Mets in the WS, but the margin actually was pretty thin, and you even could say it was the managers.

I wasn't really comparing them to the Royals.

I know the Royals are an aberration in today's baseball. But it is hard to argue that Duda and Murhpy are not incredibly streaky. Murph is a .290ish hitter who can can 15-20 games a time looking totally lost.

Duda looks like a guy who will average 26-30 homers a season and strike out 225 times and just look lost for a week at a time. It's a problem when you're in games where 1 run is the difference.

I'm not a Harold Reynolds fan, but I thought he made a great point toward the end. He said, "you get the feeling the Mets need a homer to win. But you feel that all the Royals need is a baserunner."

I don't want to be the Royals...but the Mets could do worse than looking for a steady contact hitter or two over the winter. The Mets give up too many easy at bats. Other than Grandy, Murhp when he's hot and Wright when he's healthy, the Mets aren't tough outs, by and large.

The Royals are much better than the Mets. Mets have better starting pitching but that's it. The Mets relief pitchers are mediocre and their infielders commit too many bad plays in the field. Big edge to Royals in bullpen, defense and of course hitting. However, the Mets have a very bright future. Yankee fans, including me, are envious.

You just confirmed you're trolling with this statement. You can count me as someone who thinks Harvey is the best #2 in the league, but that he's not actually a #1, but a nice #3 come on man. Syndergaard and deGrom both are #1s, potentially historically great #1s. Matz I think figures to be an above average #2 and Wheeler should prove to be at WORST a very above average #3. That's your rotation, that's scary. And if you knew anything about baseball, you'd realize W-L record doesn't mean as much as you'd think. Look at WHIP and ERA+ to get a real picture.

For the Mets fans. Do they resign Cespedes and do you want them to?
No and no. He's way too streaky, seems more concerned with his golf game than his day job so to speak and given the fact that he will command a $200+ Mill deal over 6+ years means he's way too risky for the expense. Fortunately, Alderson seems to think this way as well.

Agree. d'Arnoud is not an issue. Although is arm was really lifeless against the Royals.

I wonder if Neise could be morphed into a Ramiro Mendoza style pitcher who is a long man and/or bridges the gap between the 6th and the 8th.

Next year's rotation is going to continue to have innings limits with Wheeler (due back June) and Matz (has never really been stretched out yet). There is a spot for Niese on the staff, for sure, as a spot starter and a quality long man. I think he showed he can warm up and come in and pitch well without the routine of being a starter.
Agreed, I think Niese's days as a regular starter are behind him, but I think he could be a outstanding relief pitcher who has what it takes to do spot starts and long relief work to boot. I'd actually try to resign Colon to a 1 year deal too, they're going to have to do the 6 man rotation at times next year with Syndergaard and more acutely Matz in their first full seasons, Wheeler just coming back from TJ, and to just provide a bit of relief to deGrom and Harvey. With Colon and Niese in the fold that becomes much easier to do.

For the Mets fans. Do they resign Cespedes and do you want them to?

Yes, 5 tool player and when the going is good, he'll carry the team. Although he did not have a good post -season, without Cespedes, there's no playoffs this year. He's a player that fans will pay to watch play baseball. Then again, it's not my money. I've always been a believer that in a big city marketplace, the local teams have to somewhat spend to have continued success. Not taking anything away from the young, home grown players, however, one day they'll also want to get paid the big bucks.

Yes on Cespedes if the contract is four years. Maybe on five years. I would not sign him to a six year deal. I think he will get more guaranteed money than I would give, so I would not expect him back.

Murphy is a great hitting 2B but if his price goes way up, I think the team is better srved sliding Flores to 2B and getting a better fielding SS.

Harvey as a #3? Hah. As pointed out above, W-L is a dumb way to measure pitchers. Colby Lewis went 17-9 this season. Chris Sale went 13-11. Harvey and Cole Hamels went 13-8. Who is the worst pitcher in that group?

Harvey is one of the best pitchers in the Major Leagues period. The Royals had no problem with the Mets' pitchers' fastballs. . They were onto their 98 mph pitches. Harvey and Syndigaard kept the Royal hitters off balance with a full range of pitches, including heat, off speed and breaking stuff. I was very impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT