ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lions 2 Point Conversion

RU Golfer

Senior
Dec 4, 2009
I watched the game, all of the replays, post game interviews etc......In my opinion the Ref screwed the pooch, you can clearly see Decker go to the Ref and report in. Jared Goff even told him to go report and said Decker reported in. The Lions had 70 report in multiple times during the game and I believe the Ref got mixed up and just thought it was #70 that reported in again. Rex Ryan was going nuts this morning on how the Ref blew the call and was pinning it on Decker. Dan Campbell drew the play up on the white board for the Ref during the pregame meeting saying that they were going to run the play if the situation came into play. What are your thoughts?

I watched the game, all of the replays, post game interviews etc......In my opinion the Ref screwed the pooch, you can clearly see Decker go to the Ref and report in. Jared Goff even told him to go report and said Decker reported in. The Lions had 70 report in multiple times during the game and I believe the Ref got mixed up and just thought it was #70 that reported in again. Rex Ryan was going nuts this morning on how the Ref blew the call and was pinning it on Decker. Dan Campbell drew the play up on the white board for the Ref during the pregame meeting saying that they were going to run the play if the situation came into play. What are your thoughts?
It's obvious that the ref blew it and cost the Lions the game.
BTW, it was nauseating listening to the pro-Cowgirls stuff all game long. I don't think I'll ever watch another Dallas home game....especially with a former Cowgirl commenting on the game and everybody fawning all over the Dallas owner. What exactly has Dallas won recently ?

Doesn’t make sense that the Ref could have unintentionally botched such a critical call. I didn’t bother to look at the gambling lines or playoff implications had the Lions won.

Doesn’t make sense that the Ref could have unintentionally botched such a critical call. I didn’t bother to look at the gambling lines or playoff implications had the Lions won.
A friend of mine opined that the fix was in. I never buy that stuff.
BTW, I think the Eagles just need to win their last two games...vs. Arizona today and the Giants next weekend...to win the division. Dallas will still get in the playoffs as a wild card.

Last edited:
The point of the play was to make the cowboys think that 70 was eligible - they did it so well they fooled the refs too.

Also - I keep seeing people mention the second flag for illegal formation - but that was also thrown because they thought 70 was eligible

BTW, Dallas last won a Super Bowl in the previous century...1996.

The point of the play was to make the cowboys think that 70 was eligible - they did it so well they fooled the refs too.

Also - I keep seeing people mention the second flag for illegal formation - but that was also thrown because they thought 70 was eligible
70 reported in multiple times during the game just to set the two point conversion play up.

The Lions set that play up perfectly by confusing the Cowboys. Unfortunately for them, they confused the ref as well. The ref didn’t do his job and it cost the Lions a game and potentially an extra home field playoff game as well.
Would've been interesting to see how that play ended up had the ref announced the correct lineman as being eligible...

2 OLs were talking to the ref, #68 and one other. They also point at #70 who is running on the field. As mentioned above by @B0ski it was to confuse Dallas. The ref actually points at #70 before announcing #70.

If they actually reported #68, the Dallas safety would/should have covered him. They left 68 alone in the endzone because he was not eligible.

Last edited:
Refs blew the "tripping" penalty called on Dallas that even allowed Lions to get the ball back with a chance.

Refs nearly screwed Cowboys with phanthom Peyton Hendershot tripping before Lions penalty​

Last edited:
Reactions: raritan1
Heard an interesting counter point. I agree that the ref severely messed up. He clearly goes up to the defense to tell them 70 reported. If he had said 68 reported, would Dallas have covered him? There's no way to know if the play still works if he does his job.
2 OLs were talking to the ref, #68 and one other. They also point at #70 who is running on the field. As mentioned above by @B0ski it was to confuse Dallas. The ref actually points at #70 before announcing #70.

If they actually reported #68, the Dallas safety would/should have covered him. They left 68 alone in the endzone because he was eligible.
Exactly, refs may have mistakenly announced #70, not #68, as eligible, but that was the pre-play call for everyone on the field to hear. Wonder why nobody on Detroit made sure it was corrected before running the play lol

One thing I have not seen mentioned. After the penalty, with the ball pushed back to the seven, the decision to go for two again was just plain bizarre. Seemed to me that Campbell was more concerned with remaining true to his personal brand, than winning the damn game.

If they actually reported #68, the Dallas safety would/should have covered him. They left 68 alone in the endzone because he was eligible.
They left 68 alone because they were told 70 reported as eligible prior to the play. They had 70 covered because of what the ref had told them. There is no trickery if the defense pays attention to the number of the player that the refs identify as eligible prior to the snap.

They left 68 alone because they were told 70 reported as eligible prior to the play. They had 70 covered because of what the ref had told them. There is no trickery if the defense pays attention to the number of the player that the refs identify as eligible prior to the snap.
Correct. I should have said 68 was not eligible. I edited my post.

Reactions: BossNJ
One thing I have not seen mentioned. After the penalty, with the ball pushed back to the seven, the decision to go for two again was just plain bizarre. Seemed to me that Campbell was more concerned with remaining true to his personal brand, than winning the damn game.
This was absolutely mind-boggling, kick the XP and go to OT. His QB was hot and just shredded the Dallas secondary and, well, Dak had a great game overall, but ain't exactly money in crunch time vs. playoff-caliber teams.

Meatheaded decision to try again and again especially after getting gifted the last drive chance to begin with.

You have a choice of getting to the end zone from the 7 yd line to win or go to OT where you 1) have to win a coin flip and then drive 75 yds to score a TD or drive 40 yds and make a FG and then stop the other team from doing the same or 2) lose the coin flip and stop the team from scoring a TD or if they get a FG then you have to drive 75 yards to score a TD. I'll take the former.

I predict the ref will be fired for such a huge screw up, he is now a verb in Michigan.

Bad officiating can easily masquerade as the fix being in! In most, really all sports leagues, there is bad officiating or umpiring a lot, and technology allows everyone to see it.

Also, did anyone else notice ex-Rutgers guard Jonah Jackson playing left guard for the Lions and getting beaten like a drum play after play ?
Why knock a former captain when the thread had nothing to do with it ?

I predict the ref will be fired for such a huge screw up, he is now a verb in Michigan.

Bad officiating can easily masquerade as the fix being in! In most, really all sports leagues, there is bad officiating or umpiring a lot, and technology allows everyone to see it.
Idk, the Lions had ample opportunity to call the ref over and correct any mistake immediately after the ref announced to the players, the teams/coaches on the sidelines and the stadium in general, that #70 had reported as eligible. Detroit may have overplayed its hand in the pre-play deception, but after the ref apparently mistakenly identified and announced #70 as eligible they tried to get away with a sham.

Idk, the Lions had ample opportunity to call the ref over and correct any mistake immediately after the ref announced to the players, the teams/coaches on the sidelines and the stadium in general, that #70 had reported as eligible. Detroit may have overplayed its hand in the pre-play deception, but after the ref apparently mistakenly identified and announced #70 as eligible they tried to get away with a sham.
Take the WIN and have a great New Year!

Taking the W for sure. You have a great New Year too brother.

Cowboys In Control! Eagles Collapse Means Dallas Favored to Win NFC East, No. 2 Playoff Seed​

"America's Team'' is large and in charge in the NFC East.

I am very happy with today's result, as I used to be a diehard Giants fan, but not after the owner made some really stupid remarks. So now it's LOVE the game, hate what has become of the league!

I am very happy with today's result, as I used to be a diehard Giants fan, but not after the owner made some really stupid remarks. So now it's LOVE the game, hate what has become of the league!
Believe it or not the Jets and Giants are my 2a and 2b teams. Washington used to be the most hated, but I'd say now it's a tie between Philthy and San Franny.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Believe it or not the Jets and Giants are my 2a and 2b teams. Washington used to be the most hated, but I'd say now it's a tie between Philthy and San Franny.
Agreed, except for San Francisco. I used to dispise them but I like their GM John Lynch and Bosa. It is a shame what has happened under Roger. Philly I can't root for ever because of their Hollywood producer owner, who among other things best suited for the CE Board, allowed Mike Vick back in the league.

Hey since their inception there have been great ties between the Cowboys and Giants, starting with another Mara family mistake, picking Allie Sherman over Tom Landry! So no surprise for this amateur historian.

Reactions: RU Golfer
Rules question
If Detroit chose to then kick the extra point, is the ball snapped from the seven yard line, or does the ball placement revert to the 15 yard line, as a normal extra point try, then the five yard penalty, putting it at the 20
The extra PT then becomes a 38 yard kick or so

Rules question
If Detroit chose to then kick the extra point, is the ball snapped from the seven yard line, or does the ball placement revert to the 15 yard line, as a normal extra point try, then the five yard penalty, putting it at the 20
The extra PT then becomes a 38 yard kick or so
That's a really great question. If they went to kick after the illegal touching penalty, it would occur exactly as you described. But I don't know what happens after the Dallas penalty because that was enforced as half the distance to the goal. Would assume it gets fully enforced to move it up from the 20.

Reactions: RU Golfer
That's a really great question. If they went to kick after the illegal touching penalty, it would occur exactly as you described. But I don't know what happens after the Dallas penalty because that was enforced as half the distance to the goal. Would assume it gets fully enforced to move it up from the 20.

I agree after the five yard penalty it would be a 37/38 yard extra point. the Dallas penalty would be assessed from the 20 I believe

It's obvious that the ref blew it and cost the Lions the game.
BTW, it was nauseating listening to the pro-Cowgirls stuff all game long. I don't think I'll ever watch another Dallas home game....especially with a former Cowgirl commenting on the game and everybody fawning all over the Dallas owner. What exactly has Dallas won recently ?
R.b3e5adfcfd565bbcf2efd2152cf881da

That was the Jonah Jackson I remembered at RU. I didn't recognize the guy that actually blocked people at Ohio State and with the Lions.
Sorry but I honestly was stunned to see how badly he was beaten play after play.

The announcers said on the first reply that even had 68 declared as receiver, the play would have been called back anyway. 68 was covered on the line by the outside wide receiver. Apparently besides illegal touching there was called illegal formation. Ref announced only the illegal touching.

The announcers said on the first reply that even had 68 declared as receiver, the play would have been called back anyway. 68 was covered on the line by the outside wide receiver. Apparently besides illegal touching there was called illegal formation. Ref announced only the illegal touching.
The illegal formation was on the other side of the line with #70 Skipper, the ref said he reported in and then lined up as a tackle. Decker #68 was never covered on the outside which leads you to believe the ref really screwed up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT