ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Long Weekend Thur- Sun getaway?

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
OK guys and girls...outside of the obvious NJ beach towns, where are good options for a Thur- Sun getaway? Keep in mind state to state restrictions.

What we are considering:
Just the two of us. Youthful but in 50's- don't want a "retirement" weekend
Car travel- withing 3-4 hours
Near Water but does not have to be a beach. MAine/RI fit the bill.
Motels are not an option. Either resort Hotel or a nice quaint(B&B a possibility) but clean with a view.
Reasonable- not looking for $500+ per night. Not looking for a dump
Things to do during day- would be nice if walkable. Wife is not going to do museums/gardens, etc. Though, something similar to a Newport RI type area would work.
Would consider Hamptons- but it is very pricey. And I would have to know what part of the Hamptons would be the right place to be in. You can find a $800 per night place and find out it is in the wrong area or a dump
Would like a nice place for dinner and or breakfast either onsite or walkable.

NJ beach could be considered but not LBI and it really would have to be a place that just feels like a great getaway.

COVID considerations apply

Thanks

OK guys and girls...outside of the obvious NJ beach towns, where are good options for a Thur- Sun getaway? Keep in mind state to state restrictions.

What we are considering:
Motels are not an option. Either resort Hotel or a nice quaint(B&B a possibility) but clean with a view.
Things to do during day- would be nice if walkable. Wife is not going to do museums/gardens, etc. Though, something similar to a Newport RI type area would work.
Would consider Hamptons- but it is very pricey. And I would have to know what part of the Hamptons would be the right place to be in. You can find a $800 per night place and find out it is in the wrong area or a dump

NJ beach could be considered but not LBI and it really would have to be a place that just feels like a great getaway.

Thanks
I think you answered your own question...Newport RI.

Reactions: Leonard23
I think you answered your own question...Newport RI.

There is a reason it was my first thought. And with that said, anyone that may have been there recently and may have suggestions of places to stay that fit what I am looking for, it would be great.
So hard to go by websites and or reviews.

We rented a lakeside cabin on one of the finger lakes to close out summer before the kids start their semesters and new jobs. Aside from general disconnecting and decompressing, we intend to visit a couple local wineries while we're there. As I recall, back when the Mrs. booked it, the number of available rentals was limited though.

We rented a lakeside cabin on one of the finger lakes to close out summer before the kids start their semesters and new jobs. We intend to visit a couple local wineries while we're there. As I recall, back when the Mrs. booked it, the number of available rentals was limited though.
This. We visited a college in Buffalo and one in Rochester, and we stayed in Canandaigua for 2-3 nights. Highly recommend staying in Candandaigua, NY and enjoying life on the lake. Niagra Falls, especially the Cave of the Winds on the NY side (can't go to Canada) was awesome.

Reactions: RW90
We rented a lakeside cabin on one of the finger lakes to close out summer before the kids start their semesters and new jobs. Aside from general disconnecting and decompressing, we intend to visit a couple local wineries while we're there. As I recall, back when the Mrs. booked it, the number of available rentals was limited though.

This. We visited a college in Buffalo and one in Rochester, and we stayed in Canandaigua for 2-3 nights. Highly recommend staying in Candandaigua, NY and enjoying life on the lake. Niagra Falls, especially the Cave of the Winds on the NY side (can't go to Canada) was awesome.

I have a great "Cabin" spot up on LAke Ontario just outside of Oswego. But they are still not taking 2020 reservations.

I stayed here last Nov in Newport. The place was very nice. Had a nice view and tons of stuff to do around there. Not sure how many restaurants have indoor dining though now but most probably have outdoor seating.

https://www.thecliffsideinn.com/

What we are considering:

Thanks

https://www.woodloch.com/

Reactions: Jm0513

What we are considering:

Thanks

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-weekend-getaways.199015/

Was in Annapolis 2 weeks ago. Def a nice town but no little beach like Newport has unless you drive somewhere else.

Newport has that Westin or Marriott right next to their tourist center. Centrally located.

SM in Cape May actually looks great!
OK, so, I was going through their website and was almost even ready to just book it and surprise the wife until...I clicked on a video of their property.
Right next door is the post office, it is no where near the beach and looks to be in the middle of a Paterson like area.
Could someone please tell me I am wrong...

OK, so, I was going through their website and was almost even ready to just book it and surprise the wife until...I clicked on a video of their property.
Right next door is the post office, it is no where near the beach and looks to be in the middle of a Paterson like area.
You're wrong. Very well situated between beach and town/shopping area. Read Trip Advisor reviews.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...sion-Cape_May_Cape_May_County_New_Jersey.html

We stayed at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay in Cambridge, MD a few years back and it was perfect for a long weekend. Without even leaving the grounds you have multiple pools, dining, a nature walk, a disc golf course, tennis courts, and a golf course.

What ? Paterson. I think you looked at the wrong thing ! I have been to Cape May plenty of times and no where in town does it look like Paterson !

What we are considering:

Thanks
Instead of the Hamptons try the North Fork instead.

Greenport is very nice and has place or two right on LI Sound. The town itself has a very New England feel to it. Lots of wineries and farm stands nearby. Also close by and a shorter drive is the town of Mattituck. It also has that kind of stuff and like Greenport has access to the Peconic Bay (plus Shelter Island) and LI Sound.

I can also offer advice on the Hamptons as I have family out there and just came back from a long weekend.

Spring Lake is also an option. Have answers for there too.

If going to Cape May, and interested in the beach, better staying on Beach Ave. The ocean is right across the street.

If going to Cape May, and interested in the beach, better staying on Beach Ave. The ocean is right across the street.
Some bars/restaurants there also. Washington street mall right there also. Great location.

Or Nantucket.
One of my very best friends...met him in 1981...a cool farmhouse bar in Milbrook any..,
Crazy dude gets up on stage during some sort of open mike and recites the “man from Nantucket@ prom. 40 years later, still friends.

One of my very best friends...met him in 1981...a cool farmhouse bar in Milbrook any..,
Crazy dude gets up on stage during some sort of open mike and recites the “man from Nantucket@ prom. 40 years later, still friends.
Think of Hamptons is to the Vineyard as the North Fork is to Nantucket.

Ha. No it's quaint little town. And a few blocks walk of the beach. Near their small shopping area. Plenty of great places to eat. If you like to ride bikes there is plenty of places to explore. Lighthouse is a big hit. Fishing the Ocean or Bay.

Ha. No it's quaint little town. And a few blocks walk of the beach. Near their small shopping area. Plenty of great places to eat. If you like to ride bikes there is plenty of places to explore. Lighthouse is a big hit. Fishing the Ocean or Bay.
Lets not forget a carriage ride. A great way to learn some history about the town from the driver. And Wildwood boardwalk a few miles away.

Why would they have this video on their website...tried to show to wife and two minutes in, she asked me if I was out of my F-ing mind! lol

Actually looks like a great place from everything else but whoever their marketing person is...fire them immediately

https://www.southernmansion.com/cape-may-inn/video

Reactions: Jm0513

Thanks

Unless you're networking, and/or invited to the cool kid parties, the Hamptons are pretty boring in the summer. I lived there for 18 months, and during the summer the traffic is brutal - and parking is even worse. Going from South Hampton to East Hampton on Rt 27 = bumper to bumper. When you get to the town you want to be in, you have to drive around for a long time hoping to snag parking. You will have lot of company trying to do the same things. At night the traffic is better - in fact the roads can be empty at 9PM but the police are waiting to bust the DWI people so be wary. People living in the Hamptons for summer will often shop on Thursday night and stay in until Monday or Tuesday. Mobility really sucks in the Hamptons (and there aren't that many places to really go).

The "real Hamptons" are AFTER Westhampton, Hampton Bays, Quogue. Westhampton is the MTV "Jersey Shore" idea of Hamptons. I'm sure there are some nice places there, but its not the snotty Hamptons. Southhampton is where THE Hamptons (especially south of highway 27 and facing the ocean) really begin, and then Watermill, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, East Hampton and Amagansett. Sag Harbor is cool now too and that's up to the north from East Hampton.

Southhampton the town is pretty cool and its pretty big. That's where the bus station is. Outside the town near the shore (Gin Lane etc) is where the mega estates are. Getting to the beaches there is a pain in summer.

East Hampton is NY/LA wealthy who are conscious of being cool (Puff Daddy Etc). I neither liked or disliked it. Its nice to visit for a little while but not worth much more imo (Im not a foodie though and East Hampton is the cool restaurant place). I like Sag Harbor the best since its like a Hudson River town. It was a working peoples town and very boat oriented. One of the cooler Hamptonesque places to stay/dine is The American Hotel. Patrons/locals have equated it with Rick's Café Americain in Casablanca. It has one of the best wine cellars in the world. I think its a little more touch and go these days from looking at reviews. Staff can be a little snotty. You can hang and see Billy Joel and other celebs regularly.

Amagansett is also cool to hang-out in (although) small. The Stephen Talkhouse is like the local place you can go to without dressing-up and finding scene. You can have a townie on one side of you and Vin Diesel on the other . They do live bands.

The fall is when the Hamptons are nice. You can move around and the light is beautiful (the Hamptons first became popular because of NYC artists who loved the sea/bay reflected light there). The places look nice for Holidays. You can get on a beach. Personally I would spend three days there but an overnighter is ok. Right now I would go to Mohonk in New Paltz. Its nice up there, and also active without being a freak show (or a Manhattan transfer). Of course its nicer in the fall, but now there is a lull and they cut some price deals (Meals included with rooms).

I just spent a few days riding bike along the Erie Canal. I stayed at a college town and it was cool. Nice and clean (no litter at all) with lots of old Victorians. I was eating softshell crabs from Wegmans's lol. Nothing snotty going on. Its was more fun than most of my days in the Hamptons

https://www.mohonk.com/specials/fal...MInLbr88yW6wIVp9SzCh1L_QOhEAAYASAAEgImofD_BwE

Last edited:
@yesrutgers01 funny thing, @RUScrew85 are planning a long weekend away in September as well. Cape May was first on our list. My daughter has a good friend who works down there (he was actually the officiant at her wedding this year) I told him we were looking for something reasonable..I used $350/night as a number. His suggestions were The Grand Hotel, LaMer and Icona....all 3 on the beach.

you bringing up Newport is another good thought though. We may have to look into that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT