ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Long Weekend Thur- Sun getaway?

What do you mean by "diversity"? Diversity is open to alot of interpretation.

That word has a singular definition in our current culture. Lack of diversity can only mean too many white people.

White man bad? you may be right. But all the places being touted are majority white by far. Lake George, Cape May, etc. are whitey whitesvilles. If he is looking for that kind of diversity may I suggest Minneapolis, chicago, San Francisco, Baltimore, or any other democrat controlled hellhole city!
It is amazing- outside of Texas, Va, Fla, Arz, Cali(surprised how many) there are not a whole lot of Rep Mayors of big cities.

A neutral definition regardless of any culture would be too much of any one majority, whatever that majority might be.
diversity = plurality (or as close to it as possible, i.e. no majority greater than 50% of the whole)
lack of diversity = homogeneity

With that.....IBTL

When I brought up Diversity in Sussex, I had diverted from a long weekend to home hunting earlier this year.
We are an interracial couple that does not have to live in a town that is "diverse" so to speak by numbers but "diverse" by acceptance. We have always lived in Upper Middle Class Suburbia, my wife has always been in a "white male" profession. Neither is an issue if and when there is acceptance. Many of the areas we saw in that part of NJ, were not very "accepting". And while not hostile, you did get stares and a coldness.

Why not Bar Harbor Maine as well? Just a handful of hours north of Portland.

OP asked for a 3-4 hr driving radius. Anything north of CT is outside the range.
Actually considered Maine. Friend from School is a Chef at one of the lager Seaside Resorts up there but just a little further than I wanted to go.

Newport Marriott, or you can try 1 of the new places, Hammetts or Brenton, as all are within easy walking distance to everything downtown. Viking Hotel could also work or they have a ton of smaller hotels and B&Bs. Hike the cliff walk and drive around Belvue Ave and Ocean to see the insane gilded age mansions and private houses. While your wife may not be into museums, it's pretty cool to hit a tour of the Breakers, Elms and Marble House mansions (marble house was closed a few weeks ago but the other 2 were open; bring headphones/ear buds and download the Newport preservation society app for the audio tour.) Hit Easton's Beach, which is $15 to park and the only beach you can currently use unless you pay for a pricey season's pass at some others. They have a bunch of water activities, like different sailing options, wave runners, parasailing, fishing, but book early, either online, call them or stop by the Wharf when you first arrive. Restaurants should also be booked ahead using open table, Rest, Google, restaurant websites and calling, or you may be waiting a while. They have outdoor seating and some indoor seating now. We liked Black Pearl, The Mooring, 22 Bowen, Diego's, Brick Alley Pub, but there are a ton of other restaurants.
Seriously considering Newport(Marriott) . Dawned on me that I have 125k bonvoy points. But was told to wait until Oct or it is just way too crowded

Reactions: Leonard23
Seriously considering Newport(Marriott) . Dawned on me that I have 125k bonvoy points. But was told to wait until Oct or it is just way too crowded
August is certainly peak season but I haven't had an issue in prior years, so don't let that stop you if you want to enjoy warm weather and hit the beach. It was fine 2 weeks ago as well. It's busy but not overwhelming. Just jump on booking dining reservations, as they're a little limited due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Did you check out Cliffside Inn in Newport? I stayed last year, place was great.

Did you check out Cliffside Inn in Newport? I stayed last year, place was great.
I was going to check some of the smaller hotels until I saw that the Marriott is in prime location. I have 125k points since I stayed in a Marriott for 50 days after selling my house- so- basically free trip except for fun stuff and food/drink.

ManyoMany the areas we saw in that part of NJ, were not very "accepting". And while not hostile, you did get stares and a coldness.[/QUOTE]

That is sad to hear. I wouldn't have thought you'd see that in NJ.
It is NJ though, so getting cold states isn't always out of the norm for most people.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ManyoMany the areas we saw in that part of NJ, were not very "accepting". And while not hostile, you did get stares and a coldness.

It is NJ though, so getting cold states isn't always out of the norm for most people.[/QUOTE]
Every state, no matter how progressive, will have areas like this. And it may not be noticeable, unless, you are the one that didnt fit in...

I was going to check some of the smaller hotels until I saw that the Marriott is in prime location. I have 125k points since I stayed in a Marriott for 50 days after selling my house- so- basically free trip except for fun stuff and food/drink.
will 125k points get you the full weekend during high season? i blew thru 180k points for a long weekend in boston a couple years ago. and i know marriott has been devaluing bonvoy points.

It is NJ though, so getting cold states isn't always out of the norm for most people.
Every state, no matter how progressive, will have areas like this. And it may not be noticeable, unless, you are the one that didnt fit in...[/QUOTE]

Are cold stares considered to be acts of micro aggression?

Every state, no matter how progressive, will have areas like this. And it may not be noticeable, unless, you are the one that didnt fit in...

Are cold stares considered to be acts of micro aggression?[/QUOTE]
Cold stares may not be the correct term but I am sure you understand what I mean

Reactions: NotInRHouse
will 125k points get you the full weekend during high season? i blew thru 180k points for a long weekend in boston a couple years ago. and i know marriott has been devaluing bonvoy points.
I believe a category 7 hotel may be 12k Points per night or something like that.

Are cold stares considered to be acts of micro aggression?
Cold stares may not be the correct term but I am sure you understand what I mean[/QUOTE]

Not sure that I do, since my life experiences may be different. Could it be a feeling of indifference from others, if not a cold stare? Somehow your impressions were influenced by those incidents. That’s why you chose to share it here.

Yesrutgers I'm looking at Lake Hopatcong as I type this. I've lived here for over 50 years. The area is as lily white as can be. However, I truly don't believe it's even remotely racist. I'm pretty sensitive to racism and I've never seen anything close to racism or even the new term "microaggression". I've never heard a neighbor or someone from town say anything racist even at lily white neighborhood parties when people were cocktailing. When you see someone of color (which is almost as rare as seeing a unicorn) people are totally respectful. I've never even seen a "stare". In fact people go out of their way to open doors and other forms of respect which I guess is racism in a different way. I don't think I have blinders on or that I'm just sticking up for my area either. Just my two cents.

Reactions: goru1869
Yesrutgers I'm looking at Lake Hopatcong as I type this. I've lived here for over 50 years. The area is as lily white as can be. However, I truly don't believe it's even remotely racist. I'm pretty sensitive to racism and I've never seen anything close to racism or even the new term "microaggression". I've never heard a neighbor or someone from town say anything racist even at lily white neighborhood parties when people were cocktailing. When you see someone of color (which is almost as rare as seeing a unicorn) people are totally respectful. I've never even seen a "stare". In fact people go out of their way to open doors and other forms of respect which I guess is racism in a different way. I don't think I have blinders on or that I'm just sticking up for area either. Just my two cents.
hard to know the stare unless it's directed at you.

I totally disagree. In the past couple years I've really paid attention to how people behave around people of color

Yesrutgers I'm looking at Lake Hopatcong as I type this. I've lived here for over 50 years. The area is as lily white as can be. However, I truly don't believe it's even remotely racist. I'm pretty sensitive to racism and I've never seen anything close to racism or even the new term "microaggression". I've never heard a neighbor or someone from town say anything racist even at lily white neighborhood parties when people were cocktailing. When you see someone of color (which is almost as rare as seeing a unicorn) people are totally respectful. I've never even seen a "stare". In fact people go out of their way to open doors and other forms of respect which I guess is racism in a different way. I don't think I have blinders on or that I'm just sticking up for my area either. Just my two cents.
Agree %100 ! I live 15 minutes from Lake Hopatcong and 5 minutes from Sussex County. I have never heard any racist crap up here. Nothing but a good bunch of people !

Reactions: 198hamilton
So, I will exclude Lake Hopatcong because I agree...I dint feel it there and still in top running for my next home purchase. But so many other areas...Lake Mohawk, forgetabout it...but that may be to any new comer, outsider. lol
In regard to what you hear and see- disagree...The things I have heard when no one knows my wife is amazing. And even at "lilly White" parties where my wife may be the only person of color, since she is who she is, you tend to take her in as an equal from the moment you meet her, we will still hear much of the same stuff just assuming we understand because we are very much "white privileged" like everyone else there. Terms like "they" and "them" happen a lot.
And it isnt usually overt racism and quite often, people are still helpful and cordial but...there is just something there that is tough to try to explain. You can be in one town or area that is not diverse or progressive and another town that may be but both still pretty much white, and both town can outwardly treat you to the eye the exact same way. But, there may just be something that just seems off. And funny thing is, happens quite often in the progressive town.
Now- on the other hand...same thing can happen in a town or area that has a high minority population as well. I know it is there but for my purposes, that is not where my wife or I am buying our next home.

Heck- I have to deal with my own family saying racist stuff and trying to hide it behind something else.

But anyway- has nothing to do with a long weekend or Lake Hopatcong(And my favorite area is Mt.Arlington.) our favorite house that was on the market is there.

Reactions: Knightmoves
So, I will exclude Lake Hopatcong because I agree...I dint feel it there and still in top running for my next home purchase. But so many other areas...Lake Mohawk, forgetabout it...but that may be to any new comer, outsider. lol
In regard to what you hear and see- disagree...The things I have heard when no one knows my wife is amazing. And even at "lilly White" parties where my wife may be the only person of color, since she is who she is, you tend to take her in as an equal from the moment you meet her, we will still hear much of the same stuff just assuming we understand because we are very much "white privileged" like everyone else there. Terms like "they" and "them" happen a lot.
And it isnt usually overt racism and quite often, people are still helpful and cordial but...there is just something there that is tough to try to explain. You can be in one town or area that is not diverse or progressive and another town that may be but both still pretty much white, and both town can outwardly treat you to the eye the exact same way. But, there may just be something that just seems off. And funny thing is, happens quite often in the progressive town.
Now- on the other hand...same thing can happen in a town or area that has a high minority population as well. I know it is there but for my purposes, that is not where my wife or I am buying our next home.

Heck- I have to deal with my own family saying racist stuff and trying to hide it behind something else.

But anyway- has nothing to do with a long weekend or Lake Hopatcong(And my favorite area is Mt.Arlington.) our favorite house that was on the market is there.
Now I have to ask why you truly started this thread .

Mt Arlington born and bread. Was the youngest person to be elected to the town council. I'd check out Jefferson and Roxbury over Mr. Arlington. Don't check out Hopatcong a little seedy

Mt Arlington born and bread. Was the youngest person to be elected to the town council. I'd check out Jefferson and Roxbury over Mr. Arlington. Don't check out Hopatcong a little seedy
when did you move out of Mt Arlington. You most likely know the people we almost bought from...I believe he has been on the council for years. They have become friends of ours.

Moved out of Mr Arlington in about 01-02. Where is the house your looking at. Next time you come up this way send me a message and I'll show you the finer points of the area

Moved out of Mr Arlington in about 01-02. Where is the house your looking at. Next time you come up this way send me a message and I'll show you the finer points of the area
We may actually be going out there over the next few weeks. They invited us over and I was going to treat them to lunch and drinks.
Bertrand Island rd. House right before the condos. Grandfathered super close to the water.

I miss Bertrand Island great little amusement park but couldn't compete when Great Adventure opened. It's condos now as I'm sure you've seen. You should have lunch at the Windlass or Stonewater which you can eat outside right on the lake. Both have good food and service and are reasonably priced

When John was at NAPS in Newport we would go up every weekend for his football game.

Always very busy traffic and restaurant wise, not to mention getting to and from there from New Jersey.

I miss Bertrand Island great little amusement park but couldn't compete when Great Adventure opened. It's condos now as I'm sure you've seen. You should have lunch at the Windlass or Stonewater which you can eat outside right on the lake. Both have good food and service and are reasonably priced
Bertrand Island. When I was a kid, our summer rec took a day trip,out there. I thought I was going to the Virgin Islands Lol

OK guys and girls...outside of the obvious NJ beach towns, where are good options for a Thur- Sun getaway? Keep in mind state to state restrictions.

What we are considering:
Just the two of us. Youthful but in 50's- don't want a "retirement" weekend
Car travel- withing 3-4 hours
Near Water but does not have to be a beach. MAine/RI fit the bill.
Motels are not an option. Either resort Hotel or a nice quaint(B&B a possibility) but clean with a view.
Reasonable- not looking for $500+ per night. Not looking for a dump
Things to do during day- would be nice if walkable. Wife is not going to do museums/gardens, etc. Though, something similar to a Newport RI type area would work.
Would consider Hamptons- but it is very pricey. And I would have to know what part of the Hamptons would be the right place to be in. You can find a $800 per night place and find out it is in the wrong area or a dump
Would like a nice place for dinner and or breakfast either onsite or walkable.

NJ beach could be considered but not LBI and it really would have to be a place that just feels like a great getaway.

COVID considerations apply

Thanks
Cape May. My favorite place in NJ.

Reactions: MrWise and goru1869
Just spent a few days in the Capon and Lost River Valley areas of WV. Beautiful, quiet, restful, and WV isn’t on the naughty list for covid. It’s about 4.5 hrs from CNJ

What’s with the “lily white” description? What’s your def of a black neighborhood?

I used lily white in a self effacing way and as a way to be humorous. That should be obvious to anyone in the English speaking world. You really want to make an issue of this in this rare thread that hasn't devolved into an argument or name calling? This is triggering you? You want to be the one to do that to this thread? Who pissed in you cornflakes? That's the problem with this forum and it's getting worse. Go take your frustrations out elsewhere.

Reactions: BigWill
BTW I don't have a definition of a black neighborhood and don't need to. Let's use yours and call them "black neighborhood". Does that work for you?

If you have one for a white neighborhood then maybe you should get off your ass and get one for a black neighborhood or does that scare you

Reactions: goru1869
The thread was fine until you started using adjectives to describe white people. If it’s self effacing keep it to yourself

Fella I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. I was addressing yesrutgers directly not you. He is white and has a black wife. He had no problem with the term. If he did I would have apologized because he seems to be a very reasonable guy and a good guy. You... not so much. You seem to want a fight and it's not a good look. So step away from the keyboard and start a fight with someone else. I never get into fights with people on this board because it's just silly to do so. I'll not respond to you anymore. So if you want to continue have at it and it will be like arguing to a wall. Got it.
My apologies to the board for this nonsense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT