ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Long Weekend Thur- Sun getaway?

If you post on a message board responding to everyone if it was just one individual you would send them a PM and.. who’s looking for a fight unless you have a guilty conscience. I’m saying your use of lily white is negative which you proved by saying you wouldn’t have similar use for a black area.
Works both ways fella

Just spent a few days in the Capon and Lost River Valley areas of WV. Beautiful, quiet, restful, and WV isn’t on the naughty list for covid. It’s about 4.5 hrs from CNJ
WV doesn’t quite fit my travel time and to be honest- it is a no fly zone for is after 2006 just saying

What’s with the “lily white” description? What’s your def of a black neighborhood?
Kinda strange to get worked up over that. We all know what he meant and there isn’t much negative to it.
Believe me, as a couple, she has often been the only black in a neighborhood and or party and I have quite often been the only white at a party.
The beauty of going to one of her family reunions that may also include very close friends from growing up, I may be the only non Jamaican but never the only non black person.
The reverse is almost never true.
As for what Hamilton said- being married to a Jamaican- first, she doesn’t consider herself “black” and referring to all dark skinned Americans as African Americans can be offensive. But...if someone was asked to describe her in a crowd, if they started with “the black woman” she would take no offense. It is a description not a definition.

Last edited:
I’m not worked up at all just find it odd that he would Use an adjective to describe a white area but not a black area.
maybe because he was specifically responding to what I had said. It can sometimes be that simple.

anyway- doesn't look like I am going to do Newport on my Marriott points. looks like they just want too much. Crazy to think that over 50 nights at a Marriott doesn't get you 2 nights at a place in Newport...

So- I am back to really considering Cape May as I have never been there and two friends just got back. They loved it. Most likely looking just a couple of days in mid-late sept. Looking only for beachfront- would have to be a hotel- not a "motel" and while not looking to go crazy, my wife is not a budget type traveler. rooms has to be spotless and at least a little bit of charm. Ocean view and like I said, prefer the beach. What are the suggestions? Newport still in play but may just want to stay in NJ if possible.

maybe because he was specifically responding to what I had said. It can sometimes be that simple.

anyway- doesn't look like I am going to do Newport on my Marriott points. looks like they just want too much. Crazy to think that over 50 nights at a Marriott doesn't get you 2 nights at a place in Newport...
i needed to save up quite a few more than that to get 6 nights in hawaii last year. and even that was much more than when i used points there a few years prior. marriott has been devaluing their points at a very very rapid rate.

Reactions: rurichdog
So- I am back to really considering Cape May as I have never been there and two friends just got back. They loved it. Most likely looking just a couple of days in mid-late sept. Looking only for beachfront- would have to be a hotel- not a "motel" and while not looking to go crazy, my wife is not a budget type traveler. rooms has to be spotless and at least a little bit of charm. Ocean view and like I said, prefer the beach. What are the suggestions? Newport still in play but may just want to stay in NJ if possible.
Usually we stay at a B&B in Cape May but going in Oct and want a hotel this time. Looking at Icona closely -never been there though.

i needed to save up quite a few more than that to get 6 nights in hawaii last year. and even that was much more than when i used points there a few years prior. marriott has been devaluing their points at a very very rapid rate.
Agree- we just stayed 50 nights at a marriott after the sale of our home plus getting extra points for not using housekeeping each day and a few issues where they gave us some extra points. And can't get 2 nights at a Newport hotel...I think it is time to rethink hotel affiliations.
Back in the mid 90's, I used to stay at the Courtyard in Ramsey NY when IBM was doing Disaster Recovery testing in Sterling Forest. Used to book at least 6 rooms for a weekly stay for my team...I hadn't really paid attention to the points until I was thinking of taking a few days vacation and use their points. Don't remember how many I had but I was thinking something simple like DC for a long weekend until they told me I had enough to stay at any level anywhere in the world for 7 days.
Selected Grand Cayman...though, did regret it later as their hotel their was more of a "business" class and not resort and it rained 4 of the 7 days.
Though, if I do decide Newport over Cape May next month- I may do one night on points and pay for the other. Use the one night savings as our fun money for the two days.

Portsmouth NH (you can take a drive along route 1a to many a rocky beach in Maine or NH)

Cooperstown NY (On a lake).

Money wise, it looks to cost about the same for Newport Marriott and a Cape May hotel like Congress Hall, Icona or Ocean Club in mid to late September.

Money wise, it looks to cost about the same for Newport Marriott and a Cape May hotel like Congress Hall, Icona or Ocean Club in mid to late September.
Yeah- all in the 400-mid 500 range per night. And it sux in Newport- I was just talking to them and had considered using points one night and pay for the other night. But...you gotta love MArriott, Ocean view rooms do not qualify for points. I'm thinking, I do not want to be at the Ocean and not even have a view from the room...

Usually we stay at a B&B in Cape May but going in Oct and want a hotel this time. Looking at Icona closely -never been there though.

What stands out about Icona? Asking as it has a reasonable price but from online, not sure what makes it stand out. Asking, as I have never been to Cape May...and it is always a crap shoot when trying to select by website.

What stands out about Icona? Asking as it has a reasonable price but from online, not sure what makes it stand out. Asking, as I have never been to Cape May...and it is always a crap shoot when trying to select by website.
Have never done it personally, but have talked to others who have. With Cape May, you also have the ferry, which will take you to Delaware. Something different to do, but forget if Delaware is on the naughty or nice Covid-19 list.

Have never done it personally, but have talked to others who have. With Cape May, you also have the ferry, which will take you to Delaware. Something different to do, but forget if Delaware is on the naughty or nice Covid-19 list.
only going for 2 days so don't think I have to go outside of the area...

A buddy just recommended the Grand and the Star for two reasonable but nice stays...any thoughts?

Imagine getting off the Cape May-Lewis, DE ferry and being ordered to quarantine for 14 days?

Cape May is a safe choice for me. Easy drive down the GSP and you’re there and you can swing by AC for a visit to Whitehouse Subs. Newport RI is more of a travel challenge with Hudson River crossing, RT 95 thru CT, etc.Ive made the drive to Cape Cod many times and there are usually delays.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Imagine getting off the Cape May-Lewis, DE ferry and being ordered to quarantine for 14 days?

Cape May is a safe choice for me. Easy drive down the GSP and you’re there and you can swing by AC for a visit to Whitehouse Subs. Newport RI is more of a travel challenge with Hudson River crossing, RT 95 thru CT, etc.Ive made the drive to Cape Cod many times and there are usually delays.
All depending on where you are in NJ...from my home in Franklin Lakes, both are almost the exact same travel. And if timed right, the NY bridges arent too much of an issue.
but still leaning now for Cape MAy. The wife had suggested Hampton but that ain't happening. lol

All depending on where you are in NJ...from my home in Franklin Lakes, both are almost the exact same travel. And if timed right, the NY bridges arent too much of an issue.
but still leaning now for Cape MAy. The wife had suggested Hampton but that ain't happening. lol

From there I would recc Aurora Inn just north of Ithaca on Cayuga Lake.

Some of the beachfront hotels seem a little old school inside and out, some are bigger than others in size. Icona looks to be a little more updated. No firsthand knowledge but reviews on TripAdvisor were positive. Downside is it runs perpendicular to the beach, not parallel so only a few rooms fully face the beach, although there are a side views in the other rooms. If you happen to go, please post a review as I am going in October lol.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
@yesrutgers01

Where did you end up going? I came back here to look at Cape May suggestions. Doing an overnight in 3 weeks. The place I suggested above has a check in time of 4pm with no use of amenities prior to check in. All changed due to Covid protocol. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬😡😡

Icona looks clean

Last edited:
@yesrutgers01

Where did you end up going? I came back here to look at Cape May suggestions. Doing an overnight in 3 weeks. The place I suggested above has a check in time of 4pm with no use of amenities prior to check in. All changed due to Covid protocol. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬😡😡

Icona looks clean
We ended up never doing anything as our 14 y/o German Shepherd is having some issues with his hind legs and the summer has been with neurologists for him and now have to do an MRI since he may be a carrier of myelopathy but not positive from both sides so that is only 5%. so now- MRi and other tests. He comes first over vacation.
Anyway - the Grand was the top place recommended to us for a stay at CM. there are other good options and Icona looks good. but we ended up staying home with our little boy

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
I actually just got back from Cape May stayed at the Stockton Inn. A older victorian mansion on Beach Ave. Great time as always down there but about 50% of the people are wearing masks and seem paranoid. Stores and restaurants are harder to get into because of this. The weather wasnt to great but being away from work/home made it worthwhile. Saw quite a few flags down there like my profile pic and that was a great thing to see. @yesrutgers01 sucks you guys didnt get to go away. Hope the dog gets better!

We ended up never doing anything as our 14 y/o German Shepherd is having some issues with his hind legs and the summer has been with neurologists for him and now have to do an MRI since he may be a carrier of myelopathy but not positive from both sides so that is only 5%. so now- MRi and other tests. He comes first over vacation.
Anyway - the Grand was the top place recommended to us for a stay at CM. there are other good options and Icona looks good. but we ended up staying home with our little boy
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that he has to go for testing. Sending positive vibes his way. I'm a yuuuuuge animal lover. 🐾

Just got home from Cape Cod. Fantastic time despite weather not being great. Boston as well and the weather there was gorgeous.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that he has to go for testing. Sending positive vibes his way. I'm a yuuuuuge animal lover. 🐾
Crossing fingers...he is an old guy but extremely healthy in all other ways. But I equate him to an elite athlete. He has always been big- at 5/6 years he was 115lbs. He was elite trained in Holland(funny thing, he knows Dutch commands- so we had to learn those) trained for Army. At 115lbs, could scale a 9 ft wall, run up a 50 foot (not sure how to say it easily but open steps but think a watch tower) at full speed, protection dog, I have videos of him training which can be scary if it werent for the fact that he was elite trained so super friendly house dog unless given a command. Parents were both show dogs and Army Trainer told me he is the strongest dog he ever trained. When he was 6 y/o I could not get a pull toy away and he would always win the tug of war.
But, all of that, while it made him super healthy, and we took very good care of him as he "got soft" as our son would tell us...He had a very hard first 5 years. Compare it to an NFL OL.
I didnt know how to take the neurologist report as myelopathy sucks, it is painless and he is a month away from 14. Since it is only hind legs, neurologist thinks it is only mid spine back. So two other options is disk or tumor. Doing and extra next week just so my wife feels his lungs are good for the lite Anastasia needed for MRI and then doing the next step.
I can honestly say he has changed at least 10 people in our lives afraid of large dogs to the point where they have actually gotten them themselves.
Our best friend and outside of our children, the most important people in our lives.
Taking a long weekend can wait.

Just got home from Cape Cod. Fantastic time despite weather not being great. Boston as well and the weather there was gorgeous.
Did you stay at a hotel on the Cape? Any recommendations? I was going to go to Cape May (Icona) but now thinking Cape Cod or maybe Finger Lakes.

Did you stay at a hotel on the Cape? Any recommendations? I was going to go to Cape May (Icona) but now thinking Cape Cod or maybe Finger Lakes.

I did but I'll be honest I booked it late. The location was fantastic in Hyannis but was not luxury. Boston hotel was great though.

Reactions: B0ski
Part time resident of CM here. The nicest beachfront hotels in Cape May are the Icona (new and modern), the Grand (older but nicest pool if that matters) La Mer (full service resort but a long walk to town) and Congress Hall (Built in 1816, a ton of history and charm and the hub of Cape May but on the busy/hectic side in season). You can’t go wrong with any of these. It really depends on what you’re looking for.

Reactions: newell138
We had been ready to book the Grand. Thought about Icona but much higher price. We would have been ok with that but good friends that have been to both, told us that The Grand is a much better value. Couldnt go wrong with either though. Only thing I didn't like with the Grand and don't know if it is the same for all of them was the road between the hotel and beach.

We had been ready to book the Grand. Thought about Icona but much higher price. We would have been ok with that but good friends that have been to both, told us that The Grand is a much better value. Couldnt go wrong with either though. Only thing I didn't like with the Grand and don't know if it is the same for all of them was the road between the hotel and beach.
Live next door to the Icona which is next door the Grand so the location is pretty much identical. The road you are referring to is Beach Ave. which runs the length of the island. There are no buildings on the beach side other than Convention Hall so both hotels are considered beachfront. Both are nice properties. Have a great vacation.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
@yesrutgers01

Icona looks clean
Did you go and where did you stay?

We had such a good time in Lake George a coupyweeks ago we are planning on going to Gore Mt and or Lake Placid Is there enough to do for 3-4 days besides hiking, eating and drinking?

Skiing's pretty solid 🗻🎿

We ended up not going away and instead going to an overpriced day spa and dinner.☹
We ended up not getting away ourselves. Mostly caring for our beloved fury family member more than anything else. He is doing well though but still needs our attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT