ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters of the Air

A de facto 3rd part with Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Looking forward to watching.

Sounds like this series plays fast and loose with the facts. More Hollywood than history, so definitely not expecting much from it. Not to be compared with BoB and The Pacific.
It's the same production team. Spielberg and Hanks. And you know what de facto means correct? No one said it would be the same level as the previous two.

Also BoB played a bit fast and loose with a lot of the people in the show as well. A few of them were depicted differently than what occurred. Heck they even said someone died during the war when they actually died 20 years later.

Reactions: BLewis1968
It's the same production team. Spielberg and Hanks. And you know what de facto means correct? No one said it would be the same level as the previous two.

Also BoB played a bit fast and loose with a lot of the people in the show as well. A few of them were depicted differently than what occurred. Heck they even said someone died during the war when they actually died 20 years later.
Yes, no need to portray Blythe dying. That episode would still have worked if he was seriously injured.

Apple TV shows are very well produced and well worth the $7 a month.

If you’re cost conscious then pause the all you can eat cafeteria food level quality of content at Netflix for 3 months and catch up on the fine dining of Apple TV shows like:
Blackbird (incredible short series)
Ted Lasso (probably the biggest streamer hit of the last 4 years)
For All Mankind (first 2 seasons are incredible)
Severance (different than any show you’ve ever seen)
Acapulco, Shrinked, Schmigadoon (great shows to watch with the ladies and then go hit it)

I loved the book and have read tons of books and research on the 8th Airforce in Europe.
The book Masters of the Air was one of my favorites.
Band of Brothers is my favorite series of all time ( I have some ties to the 101st Airborne)

I've been so excited for Masters of the Air for years since I heard it was being made. I watched the first episode last night and will say it was very very good. I really enjoyed it, and I think based on 1 episode it lived up to the hype.
That said it does seem a little bit more Hollywood than BOB or the Pacific. The acting seemed more like movie acting and less like documentary acting, if that makes any sense.

Look forward to watching the rest of the series

Reactions: WhiteBus and MadRU
Sounds like this series plays fast and loose with the facts. More Hollywood than history, so definitely not expecting much from it. Not to be compared with BoB and The Pacific.

The trailer has me wondering, but on the other hand Spielberg and Hanks have done good work in the past.

The trailer has me wondering, but on the other hand Spielberg and Hanks have done good work in the past.
True, but those other series were made a long time ago. Hollywood has different priorities now.

Probably worth a free trial, but Sepinwall said he was disappointed by it. From his article,https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...n-wwii-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-1234948913/ :

Parts of it are absolutely stunning to look at, and parts are emotionally effective — pure, uncut, “my, it’s getting dusty in here,” Dad TV. So this is less a misfire than a disappointment. Band has become an annual viewing tradition for many. The Pacific is too harrowing to invite that kind of repeat viewing, but once is all you need to appreciate how powerfully its story is told. Masters of the Air ultimately lacks the adventurous spirit of the former and the emotional gravity of the latter. Unlike the precision bombardiers of the 100th, it only occasionally hits its target

True, but those other series were made a long time ago. Hollywood has different priorities now.

Given the success of BoB and The Pacific why would Hanks and Spielberg change what worked?

My fear with this series is simply that how often can you hit a HR with this kind of storytelling? BoB set the bar so high, it's hard to repeat. I loved The Pacific but admittedly, it wasn't as good as BoB.

Given the success of BoB and The Pacific why would Hanks and Spielberg change what worked?

My fear with this series is simply that how often can you hit a HR with this kind of storytelling? BoB set the bar so high, it's hard to repeat. I loved The Pacific but admittedly, it wasn't as good as BoB.
Agreed. Pacific was somewhat disjointed caused by following the experiences of individual soldiers whereas B of B had the benefit of an audience familiarity with a group of characters who moved from battle to battle. The Pacific was also hard to watch because the fighting was so brutal and bloody, especially the scenes with Eurgene Sledge, which were particularly gruesome and dreary. I've read Sledge's memoir In the Old Breed, which the series closely followed.

Generally positive review in the WSJ. According to him don't expect any less brutal and bloody in this one

Yes, no need to portray Blythe dying. That episode would still have worked if he was seriously injured.
It wasn't the fault of Spielberg and Hanks. It was the error of Stephen Ambrose’s who wrote the book on which the series is based on. It wasn't until the series aired the 3rd episode and his son saw the mistake. He never returned to the 101st so everyone in the command just assumed he passed as he was no longer in the hospital.

Last edited:
Starts today. Anyone with Apple TV access, would appreciate a review of it. If good might get Apple TV to see it.
Just finished the first part. The cast is great. The guy who starred in the last Elvis, Austin Butler, is a lead character. His gal is the blonde actress who was in the 1883 show. Amazing cinematography and CGI. There’s a narrator so there’s a different feel to this show v. Band of Brothers and Pacific. Also, it’s air battles, so the scenes are not as visceral as in the Band of Brothers, Pacific. Still, very good first episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: victorio1 and MadRU
Apple TV shows are very well produced and well worth the $7 a month.

If you’re cost conscious then pause the all you can eat cafeteria food level quality of content at Netflix for 3 months and catch up on the fine dining of Apple TV shows like:
Blackbird (incredible short series)
Ted Lasso (probably the biggest streamer hit of the last 4 years)
For All Mankind (first 2 seasons are incredible)
Severance (different than any show you’ve ever seen)
Acapulco, Shrinked, Schmigadoon (great shows to watch with the ladies and then go hit it)
monarch monsters was awesome...about godzilla. Kurt and Wyatt Russel star in it

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
It wasn't the fault of Spielberg and Hanks. It was the error of Stephen Ambrose’s who wrote the book on which the series is based on. It wasn't until the series aired the 3rd episode and his son saw the mistake. He never returned to the 101st so everyone in the command just assumed he passed as he was no longer in the hospital.

I’ve mentioned this before but am I the only one who had the pleasure of taking History of Cold War with Ambrose when he was here for a semester while researching for the book?

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I’ve mentioned this before but am I the only one who had the pleasure of taking History of Cold War with Ambrose when he was here for a semester while researching for the book?
Great book but he got that wrong based on the remaining 101st believed

Great book but he got that wrong based on the remaining 101st believed

Yes, I had heard that.

Anyway, as I understood, at the time, he was researching RU’s WWII living history library. Given that Winters and Nixon also were local I assume he interviewed them as well.

I loved the book and have read tons of books and research on the 8th Airforce in Europe.
The book Masters of the Air was one of my favorites.
Band of Brothers is my favorite series of all time ( I have some ties to the 101st Airborne)

I've been so excited for Masters of the Air for years since I heard it was being made. I watched the first episode last night and will say it was very very good. I really enjoyed it, and I think based on 1 episode it lived up to the hype.
That said it does seem a little bit more Hollywood than BOB or the Pacific. The acting seemed more like movie acting and less like documentary acting, if that makes any sense.

Look forward to watching the rest of the series
I assume you read Flyboys. What a jaw dropping book. Please read if you haven’t!

Stephen Ambrose authored a pretty good book titled "The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys who Flew the B-24s over Germany." Focusing to a great extent on George McGovern and his missions over Germany. My long-gone neighbor in Pinehurst also piloted a B-24 (Army Air Corps/446th Heavy Bomber Group) out of Flixton, England. I happen to have an autographed copy with the inscription:
"Off we go! Wheels Up! Bombs away! Stephen E. Ambrose 11/13/01". Ambrose died the following year on 10/13/02.

Enjoying "Masters of the Air." Going to watch the third episode this evening.

Reactions: gmay8
I had the pleasure of taking several of Professor William Weinberg's classes while I attended grad school at RU back in the late 70s and early 80s. Professor Weinberg served with the 3rd Infantry during WWII along with Audie Murphy. I only learned of Professor Weinberg's war experiences about 15 years later when he was honored at an NLRB seminar. He was so humble and unassuming, and never once mentioned his war experiences. I am proud to have known this American hero.

https://obits.nj.com/us/obituaries/starledger/name/william-weinberg-obituary?id=15819229

Ok just watched the latest episode.

Incredible depiction of air battles! It also chronicles the emotional toll of being an air combat fighter.

This show has won me over.

maybe its just me but the characters themselves dont stand out. The names are repeated regularly on Masters, but frankly cant really tell one from the other. Have your two main characters named buck and bucky doesnt help.

i think the action on the missions gives a good feel for how horrific it was for the airmen flying in fortresses

Last edited:
maybe its just me but the characters themselves dont stand out. The names are repeated regularly on Masters, but frankly cant really tell one from the other. Have your two main characters named buck and bucky doesnt help.

i think the action on the missions gives a good feal for how horrific it was for the airmen flying in fortresses
Fair.

Watching it with my 23yr old son where a lot of guys were even younger than him…tough. Especially the last episode.

Tom Landry was a 19 yr old B-17 co-pilot.
Hard to imagine many of the kids flying had even been on a plane ride before the service.

Early on some raids were pretty sloppy.
Operation Tidal Wave (Ploiești, Romania) cost 500 casualties and 108 B-24s lost or damaged.
Having seen WWII bombers every summer for 10 years I know how slow the were .
One of last things I would ever want to do is make a bomb run in WWII bomber a few hundred feet off the ground

W6ScWZK.jpeg

I’ve liked the show so far. The terror these guys must have felt is overwhelming. The fact they remained so composed knowing they needed to keep their whits or they put others at risk always amazed me.

Daylight bombing…

If you listen to podcasts the National WW2 museum has a MotA podcast which has interviews with the author and Hanks. Well done.

I’ve liked the show so far. The terror these guys must have felt is overwhelming. The fact they remained so composed knowing they needed to keep their whits or they put others at risk always amazed me.

Daylight bombing…

If you listen to podcasts the National WW2 museum has a MotA podcast which has interviews with the author and Hanks. Well done.
Along with going back the next day and the one after that…knowing what to expect.

Told this before…my Dad was a fireman as well and said the WWII guys were amazing. No matter the fire they were able to handle it as nothing was as bad as what they saw in combat in the air or on the ground.

Last edited:
Along with going back the next day and the one after that…knowing what to expect.

Told this before…my Dad was a fireman as well and said the WWII guys were amazing. No matter the fire they were able to handle it as nothing was as bad as what they saw in combat in the air or on the ground.

My uncle flew 56 missions as a B-17 pilot out of North Africa against Sicily and Italy rather than England in '43. Won a DFC for a mission of Sicily where he was attacked by 7 ME-109s, lost an engine and completed the mission. My generation found out later that there was also some PTSD in the form of nightmares for a while after the war.

My uncle flew 56 missions as a B-17 pilot out of North Africa against Sicily and Italy rather than England in '43. Won a DFC for a mission of Sicily where he was attacked by 7 ME-109s, lost an engine and completed the mission. My generation found out later that there was also some PTSD in the form of nightmares for a while after the war.
Wow... That's a whole lot of missions. My old neighbor flew 33 (B-24 pilot/446th Heavy Bomber Group out of Flixton). He turned to religion right after the war, even distributed bibles for Gideons.

One guy he worked with was Canadian and a Spitfire pilot.

He would have terrible night terrors as apparently he was shot down more than once.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Army air corp lost more than the marines and the British Bomber corp lost 40%

most was from flak

heros, all of them

Reactions: miket007
Wow... That's a whole lot of missions. My old neighbor flew 33 (B-24 pilot/446th Heavy Bomber Group out of Flixton). He turned to religion right after the war, even distributed bibles for Gideons.

They eventually limited it to 25, but this was early in the war and the pilot pipeline was just being developed.

This always stuck out to me:

One of the items mentioned in the masters of the air podcast was all of the bomber crewmembers were officers. They know that largely was because they anticipated any downed airman would be treated better if captured.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT