ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Minnesota scrimmage

rutger80

Senior
Oct 14, 2013
Marietta, GA
so, as part of homecoming festivities today at Minnesota, they had intra-squad scrimmages, for the public after the football game.
So, I went to get a look at the Gophers.
Looked like one really good player, guard Nate Mason.
Not really impressed with the rest of the squad. Couple of 6'11 guys, but not many shooters.
Could be a long year for little Ricky.

I stopped in also after the football game. Not to see the scrimmage, per se, but to see if they had renovated Williams Arena.

We played there in their Pillsbury Classic in 1979 when I was a manager for RU. In the game we played Minnesota in the tourney, I think we were down around 72-19. That Minnesota team that had 4 future NBA players in Kevin McHale, Randy Breuer, Trent Tucker and Ben Coleman(who transferred from Maryland)

They were a very good team that did not even make the NCAA that year with a 21-11 record and 10-8 big ten record.

Anyway, it looked like nothing had been done as far as renovations go and still looked the same as it did in 1979.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I stopped in also after the football game. Not to see the scrimmage, per se, but to see if they had renovated Williams Arena.

We played there in their Pillsbury Classic in 1979 when I was a manager for RU. In the game we played Minnesota in the tourney, I think we were down around 72-19. That Minnesota team that had 4 future NBA players in Kevin McHale, Randy Breuer, Trent Tucker and Ben Coleman(who transferred from Maryland)

They were a very good team that did not even make the NCAA that year with a 21-11 record and 10-8 big ten record.

Anyway, it looked like nothing had been done as far as renovations go and still looked the same as it did in 1979.

Best of Luck,
Groz
I was a senior that year and hoping to broadcast that on WRSU, but didn't get to go.
Made it to Williams Arena in 1992, when I was in Minneapolis to see the Final Four. They had the 3 point shooting and slam dunk contest there.
You are correct...looked exactly the same.
Although they have the new hockey arena and new football stadium, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT