ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB HOF becomes even more of a joke

"OT: MLB HOF becomes even more of a joke"

The Baseball Hall of Fame is an independent entity from Major League Baseball. MLB doesn't control, and can't tell, the HOF how to run their museum. So your beef is with Cooperstown, not MLB.

Very similar to the NY Yankees. They retire a number at the drop of a hat.
The only numbers that deserve being retired are:

3 - Babe Ruth
4 - Lou Gehrig
5 - Joe Dimaggio
7 - Mickey Mantle
8 - Yogi Berra
9 - Roger Maris
15 - Thurman Munson
16 - Whitey Ford
49 - Ron Guidry

The others? Great players, great careers, that can have their numbers placed in a Ring Of Honor, but not retired....... if they had played in a small market... they would have only been recognized as being a very good player.

The problem with inducting players like Mazeroski or Baines is what you are now hearing today. "Well, if he got in then X should be there." That just dilutes things further.

And future candidates aren't put up against the best in the HOF fame but its "least best" qualifiers and that just lowers the bar each generation. Most of the folks going there are not the best of the best. They're very good players in their respective generations.

Reactions: Knightmoves

3 - Babe Ruth
4 - Lou Gehrig
5 - Joe Dimaggio
7 - Mickey Mantle
8 - Yogi Berra
9 - Roger Maris
15 - Thurman Munson
16 - Whitey Ford
49 - Ron Guidry

The others? Great players, great careers, that can have their numbers placed in a Ring Of Honor, but not retired....... if they had played in a small market... they would have only been recognized as being a very good player.
If you were talking about something like the HOF, I'd agree with you. To worry about what a single team does to honor players that have played a big role in the teams history, is a little overkill, no? Why Munson, but no Jeter-you can start some pretty silly arguements over this. That said, I kinda agree with you that Posada and Bernie may be overkill, but they do represent an entire generation of Yankee Championships.

Baines had over 2800 hits and over 1600 rbi. If he had stayed healthy and stayed in outfield think people would not be so negative about him. And we know that the media did not like Albert Belle.
He played for 22 years, how much healthier could he have been?

Reactions: tico brown

3 - Babe Ruth
4 - Lou Gehrig
5 - Joe Dimaggio
7 - Mickey Mantle
8 - Yogi Berra
9 - Roger Maris
15 - Thurman Munson
16 - Whitey Ford
49 - Ron Guidry

This is Yankee stuff.
Elston Howard #32, first black player and my dad’s best friend.
#8 Bill Dickey was the epitome of the Yankee aura.
#2, Derek Jeter certainly belongs.
Mariano as well.
#1 Billy, no way.

3 - Babe Ruth
4 - Lou Gehrig
5 - Joe Dimaggio
7 - Mickey Mantle
8 - Yogi Berra
9 - Roger Maris
15 - Thurman Munson
16 - Whitey Ford
49 - Ron Guidry

Ever hear of #42, Mo Rivera?! And #2, Derek Jeter, is 6th ALL-TIME in hits.

Reactions: CERU00
#42 is retired for every major league team. I believe Mo was the last person to wear that number in MLB.

I think the committee that made this decision is the same one handing out 'penalties' to NCAA members for rule violations.

I saw two guys reach best player in their league status... Dave Parker was the best all around player in the National league for a few years as well.
You can make a strong case for Ricky Henderson too, nobody was better at producing runs than that man in his prime
This is a good example of, “if you have to think about it...” are they HoFers?

Rickey Henderson? No thinking required.

Dave Parker? Causes one to pause IMO.

I’m not much into the analytics thing other than what you write down on a scorecard.

I’m not much into the analytics thing other than what you write down on a scorecard.
Good call, I had the same argument with my brother this morning about Lee Smith... hesitant.

Good call, I had the same argument with my brother this morning about Lee Smith... hesitant.
I use the Big Red Machine as an example...

Johnny Bench. No thinking

Joe Morgan. No thinking

Pete Rose. Aside from the other stuff, which does matter, no thinking.

Dave Concepcion. Hmmm.

The rest. Nah.

Just heard on the radio, Harold Baines never got more than 6% of the vote for the HOF when he was eligible. Freaking 6%.

What a joke!

Reactions: tico brown
In the “nah” column IMO. But you would know better than me there.
No I wouldn’t, that’s why I’m here conversing with you.
You’re opinion is as valuable as mine.
Now if you want to know how to pitch him and defend him... then defer to me

No I wouldn’t, that’s why I’m here conversing with you.
You’re opinion is as valuable as mine.
Now if you want to know how to pitch him and defend him... then defer to me
The eye ball test (over time) works too.

Don Sutton? The numbers (I think) say yes but...

Reggie Jackson? Yeah, without a doubt IMO.

3 - Babe Ruth
4 - Lou Gehrig
5 - Joe Dimaggio
7 - Mickey Mantle
8 - Yogi Berra
9 - Roger Maris
15 - Thurman Munson
16 - Whitey Ford
49 - Ron Guidry

Munson and Guidry seem like a stretch to me.

Why stop there...lol
I led the league with 10 sacrifice flies one year, and tied Pete Rose’s all time record for causing catchers interference.:D

Hey, it ain’t much but I played enough games to do it

If you had just one more Catcher's Interference... LOL.

Parker on his arm alone. LOL

Best 2nd baseman I ever saw, period.
Defensively!
He would come to spring training and teach us the double play pivot.
His lower body was so strong he rarely got knocked over, base runners would try to take him out and get the worst of it.. eventually they just avoided him.
He at times wouldn’t even use the pocket of his tiny glove and just trap the ball on the outside of his webbing.
He was the best pivot man in the history of baseball.

563 dingers makes him automatic

zappaa, I'm interested in your opinion if Baseball needs to "re-calibrate" what used to be "automatic" HOF credentials. It seems to me that 550 home runs is "the new 500 home runs" and perhaps the new "300 wins" is now 275 or even 250. The lifetime home run seems to have become easier while the lifetime pitching wins shrinks.

Any thoughts?

This is Yankee stuff.
Elston Howard #32, first black player and my dad’s best friend.
#8 Bill Dickey was the epitome of the Yankee aura.
#2, Derek Jeter certainly belongs.
Mariano as well.
#1 Billy, no way.
Oops forgot about Mario ........ yes he qualifies

Ellie Howard I forgot about...... and I saw him play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT